Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-18-2018, 7:25 AM

Default Do you really plan to "Bug out"

People talking about preparing to "Bug out" is nothing new. I've thought about it and I really think that at least for me, it's a worse case scenario. I've got a well stocked, warm and cozy home, my stuff is here, tools and gear, more than would be easily transported. I have neighbors that though we aren't good friends, I suspect that they aren't nut cases. I'm pretty sure that in a worse case scenario I could work them to keep all of our homes safe, rather than trying to go it alone.
Bugging out to the woods when society is in turmoil seems far less than optimal to me. Sure, I have good camping gear and I could bug out if necessary but unless my house is on fire I'd rather bug in.
So, for you guys that "Bug out" is plan A, please share your reasoning.
Old 11-18-2018, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

In my experience while recently discussing evac/refugee possibility, it's almost always the urbanized city dweller types that think it's possible to "escape to live in the woods" or expect to show up unannounced at the door of an unsuspecting relative/friend in another county and do one of those "tah dah! We're here!" kinda things and expect room & board. Those people are the bug out as plan A types.

Hell I am the bug out location for family, but I do have a plan to displace if needed. I prepared for that. Still no guarantees tho.

Generally speaking most people trying to bug out are just meals on wheels waiting to be taken advantage of while putting everyone they are with at risk.

People usually live where they live because it's easy. Out here in the hinterland there is no easy button when you need/want/do something. Everything requires planning.

Urbanites should really think about digging in like ticks for a few months with obvious caveats to the type of emergency living conditions quakes/fires/floods will yield.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 11-18-2018 at 8:25 AM..
Old 11-18-2018, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

Depends...
Old 11-18-2018, 8:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Personally I believe in strength in numbers. We are surrounded by like minded neighbors 80% ex-military and all already armed. For the most part the safest place for us in our immediate neighborhood.

But if it is a situation where you need to flee to survive from other reasons then yes most of us have a location to meet up at but that's a last resort type of situation.
Old 11-18-2018, 8:44 AM

Bug out is like Plan D. With three kids under 5, bugging in is the best option. If my house falls down,then maybe a tent in the back or off to nearby family within walking distance.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:23 PM

big city.... bug out...the zombies don't ya know..

country folks will stay put .... and defend from the zombies....
Old 11-18-2018, 12:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

LOL, watch how the evacuation from Los Angeles goes on Weds night for Thanksgiving...
Bugging IN for sure.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 11-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Similar to the above. Having to bug out and live off the land is probably of last resort. Doubt I'd last very long! LOL! I do have a plan to bug out though. As always, I do need more food/water planning.

Bugging In is probably more likely scenario. I live in a fairly suburban area and I doubt we'd have a raging wildfire like up in Paradise/Chico/Sonoma etc. No risk of a flood. Earthquake? Yup! Definitely. Hard to say where will be safe after that. Biggest thing will be trying to care for those after the fact. In that situation, I see strength in numbers and pooled resources and the availability of aid.

Be safe all.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-18-2018, 1:20 PM

Living in wooded mountains, bugging out means there's an out-of-control fire headed our way. Load up the two 4wd vehicles with pets, some guns/ammo, insurance paperwork, and the cash stash, and head to the kid's house in the city. If it all burns - take the insurance money, retire, and leave California.
Old 11-18-2018, 1:33 PM
Banned

Not a chance. There would have to be a literal nazi army coming to my door to take me/family and running to “the woods” to hide is an absolute last resort.

How many of these people have ever lived in the woods? For how long?Even with all the supplies that are possible to take in a loaded truck... It’s extremely demoralizing and tiring. Screw that.
Old 11-18-2018, 1:33 PM

Bug in for me, i live less then a mile from a big lake and all my reloading supplies and such are easier to handle at my house, worse case i head north into the mountains but still stay rather close to my home. Like others said in a real SHTF situation driving would probably be very dangerous for the first few months atleast.
Old 11-18-2018, 4:27 PM

Bugging in will be your ONLY choice if you live in a larger area or suburb. Here in San Diego, all the freeways out have multiple overpasses. If the EQ is bad enough, you become geographically trapped. walking is an option, but it would be dangerous and how many people are prepared to walk/hike 15 miles or more with a full backpack?

Judging by what I see walking around here, not many people would survive that hike, let alone be able to do it.

Car accidents, people scrambling for resources because they didn't plan ahead will be your biggest fears.

A huge concern will be the storm troopers coming around demanding that you leave and go to the camps where they've set up aid.

Arguably, that will be the thing you need to plan for. The armed troopers who will come and say it's in your best interests to go where they can watch you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 11-18-2018, 4:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

i'd only be bugging out if i am cut off from supplies for an extended period, or if i find myself behind some line where i am the enemy.
Old 11-18-2018, 5:57 PM

I work as a travel nurse and full time in an RV. I'll split the difference. My RV is set up as a low key bugout vehicle, I can bounce in a minute, but I'd rather hunker down somewhere low key, like my current RV park filled with nurses, retired white people and oil feild workers, than risk being on the road. That's most of the parks I've been too. Despite the stigma most RVer's have a truck, a RV and a motorcycle. RV's have water tanks, generators, and you can litterally circle the wagons.

Last edited by Nick Adams; 11-18-2018 at 6:11 PM..
Old 11-18-2018, 6:16 PM
Veteran Member

Ha! Already bugged out. Planting the orchard, giant garden, chickens laying like crazy, side of beef in the freezer. Building the local network.

Kids for their hunting gear and are stomping around the back 40 looking for deer, elk, beer and grouse.
Old 11-18-2018, 6:43 PM

I live in SoCal, bugging out is a recepie for disaster UNLESS one is fortunate to leave before a mass exodus. I'm stuck between an ocean and desert, a summit to the north with choke points and plenty of fire county surrounding. I see lots of wildfires happening from novice campers/survivors.
Old 11-18-2018, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Bug out??? Why? Only if the now closed San Onofre nuclear power plant springs a leak and the off shore flow blows northward. Otherwise, I'll do just fine in my fox hole bunker I've established, hidden in plain view from the rest of my neighbors.

Molon Labe!

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-18-2018, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

The bunker is built and 80% stocked and less then 30 minutes away on foot, but the last place anyone would look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 11-18-2018, 9:02 PM

Location: My gun has killed less people than Uber’s self driving car.

From The book of Mark, Chapter 13.

14 But when ye see the abomination of desolation standing where he ought not (let him that readeth understand), then let them that are in Judaea flee unto the mountains: 15 and let him that is on the housetop not go down, nor enter in, to take anything out of his house: 16 and let him that is in the field not return back to take his cloak. 17 But woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days! 18 And pray ye that it be not in the winter. 19 For those days shall be tribulation, such as there hath not been the like from the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never shall be. 20 And except the Lord had shortened the days, no flesh would have been saved; but for the elect’s sake, whom he chose, he shortened the days. 21 And then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is the Christ; or, Lo, there; believe [e]it not: 22 for there shall arise false Christs and false prophets, and shall show signs and wonders, that they may lead astray, if possible, the elect. 23 But take ye heed: behold, I have told you all things beforehand.

24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, 25 and the stars shall be falling from heaven, and the powers that are in the heavens shall be shaken. 26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 27 And then shall he send forth the angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.

What we are living in, this relative peace and prosperity, is an anomaly. For most of human history life was brutal and short. It could all change in an instant. If you ever had to run for your life, it may be advantageous to have at least a bag to grab on your way out the door. That’s my justification for having a BOB, and a EMCOMM BOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 PM

Bugging out is going from one place that has suddenly become less safe, to another place that offers a more acceptable level of safety. Where one goes and under what circumstances will vary. The better prepared will be those who have plans and provisions and the ability to be flexible and adapt to circumstances.

I now live in a rural area, unlikely to endure the kind of hardship that those in urban areas may experience. I think more about how to get home then where should I go to. Yet, I still have plans in place should my rural home become unsafe.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
People talking about preparing to "Bug out" is nothing new. I've thought about it and I really think that at least for me, it's a worse case scenario. I've got a well stocked, warm and cozy home, my stuff is here, tools and gear, more than would be easily transported. I have neighbors that though we aren't good friends, I suspect that they aren't nut cases. I'm pretty sure that in a worse case scenario I could work them to keep all of our homes safe, rather than trying to go it alone.
Bugging out to the woods when society is in turmoil seems far less than optimal to me. Sure, I have good camping gear and I could bug out if necessary but unless my house is on fire I'd rather bug in.
So, for you guys that "Bug out" is plan A, please share your reasoning.
Sometimes you have to leave (fire/flood/etc.) Also, it is "WORST case scenario" not "worse case...."

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 11-19-2018, 4:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
Bugging out is going from one place that has suddenly become less safe, to another place that offers a more acceptable level of safety. Where one goes and under what circumstances will vary. The better prepared will be those who have plans and provisions and the ability to be flexible and adapt to circumstances.

I now live in a rural area, unlikely to endure the kind of hardship that those in urban areas may experience. I think more about how to get home then where should I go to. Yet, I still have plans in place should my rural home become unsafe.
Agreed. "Bugging Out will depend on several things. Including type of incident/disaster, length of time to return to normal(if possible), time of year, etc.
I live just a few, and I mean a FEW, blocks from what is commonly referred to as the "Ghetto" around here. Where there have been numerous shootings, stabbings, and other incidents. I'm not sure if I would want to remain here for long time in the event of some form of breakdown.
But, here in the CA Central Valley, if there is a long term loss of power in the summer, this town may become inhospitable to life. Most water is well water, and with no power to run any form of residential cooling, Bugging Out may be called for.
But, if the problem occurs in the Fall, Winter, or Spring, it may be survivable for at least a while. Until my water supply runs out. Then I may have to beat feet.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 11-19-2018 at 8:46 AM..
Old 11-19-2018, 5:31 AM
Banned

If you live in a city, or even worse in a city in California bugging out is your ONLY option in a mass unrest or breakdown of civilization.
Sitting in place will eventually get you killed.

But with that said, bugging out isn't grabbing a pack and heading into the woods when it gets bad. It means to make a conscious decision to MOVE now, to find a sustainable home with the intention of riding out any issues that may arise.

Working with SAR for a few years I can attest to the idiocy when it comes to city folk when they think they are going to "live off the land"

Seems they always fit the same pattern. Toyota tundra with camper, columbia gear, high end hiking boots and pack, mountain house food and LOST.
We get it, the internet and REI sold you on being a mountain man, but the reality is unless you spend most of your time living that lifestyle you aren't going to just start tomorrow and survive.
Mother nature provides us with a really nice learning curve.
Not to mention there are ALREADY people out there who dont plan on sharing with those who wander into our woods, starving and hoping to live off the land they know nothing about.

Wanna bug out?
Do it now by buying a property far away from people and start prepping, as any other idea of survival is going to end up on the side of a traffic stalled highway with your belongings being passed around to whomever ambushed you.
Old 11-19-2018, 7:57 AM

We are prepped for bugging out and bugging in. Decision will be made based on the circumstances...

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-19-2018, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I’m not bugging out unless it’s impossible to remain where I’m at. I’m in a really good location to bug in. Only a few hundred feet from the bounty of the ocean and a mile to a reservoir with no major cities nearby. Bugging out short term is easy. Just grab the camping stuff plus the water filter and I could enjoy up to about a month tent living in Big Sur, longer if needed.
Old 11-19-2018, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
If you live in a city, or even worse in a city in California bugging out is your ONLY option in a mass unrest or breakdown of civilization.

But with that said, bugging out isn't grabbing a pack and heading into the woods when it gets bad. It means to make a conscious decision to MOVE now, to find a sustainable home with the intention of riding out any issues that may arise.

Working with SAR for a few years I can attest to the idiocy when it comes to city folk when they think they are going to "live off the land"

Seems they always fit the same pattern. Toyota tundra with camper, columbia gear, high end hiking boots and pack, mountain house food and LOST.
We get it, the internet and REI sold you on being a mountain man, but the reality is unless you spend most of your time living that lifestyle you aren't going to just start tomorrow and survive.
Not to mention there are ALREADY people out there who dont plan on sharing with those who wander into our woods, starving and hoping to live off the land they know nothing about.

Wanna bug out?
Do it now by buying a property far away from people and start prepping, as any other idea of survival is going to end up on the side of a traffic stalled highway with your belongings being passed around to whomever ambushed you.
Your idea makes all the sense in the world if you are able to spot the issue coming and have the ability to react quickly. A mass unrest or breakdown of civilization is something you can usually see coming if you know what to look for. I totally agree...buying a property away from people, stockpiling appropriately, and having a plan to move should it be necessary is paramount, but there is a reality check.

The problem for us folk here in the cities of California is as I mentioned in a previous post above. You can't see an earthquake coming, but once it's here it's too late and an earthquake is most likely. ALTHOUGH...if the laws that are being passed continue to lead us the way of Venezuela, people might be well advised to leave now and start preparing to live in the bug out location.

Bugging in, for the first part is the ONLY safe bet, and ride out the first few days/weeks depending on severity. In a case that bad, the roads will be jammed with bodies (both human and automobile), bridges collapsed (or unsafe to drive on or under) and quickly there will be random bands of nomadic people looking for things that do not belong to them. LA riots come to mind.

If trapped in the city, it would be a good idea to saddle up with your neighbors as much as possible, though I would NOT let them know what you have and just play blind, dumb, broke, and starving like everyone else until you can finally get away. Doesn't hurt to have a skill that is valuable, like medical. That and my rifle would be my contribution to any sort of coop situation should it come up.

Become expert in one of the four oldest professions:
Farmer/shepherd, politician, prostitute or soldier.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2018, 11:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Meh,
Unless its an environmental hazard ala fire, flood or poisonous gas, I'm staying put. The RV is my bugout plan for the above emergencies and my recliner is my bugout ride for all others.
Old 11-20-2018, 9:28 AM

I am prepared to bug out but its worst case like only due to fire or similar threat, any other situation I am staying put until it looks like I will be forced out by zombies.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 11-22-2018, 6:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

Wanna bug out?

Good post spot on.

Another thing the city/urban animal hasn’t thought about or I’ve seen mentioned...

They will not be welcomed invading someone else’s woods.

Rural folk are funny in that way.
Old 11-22-2018, 6:35 AM

You have to consider your possible scenarios...whats the most likely situations that will cause you to consider the "bugging X".

Most likely its gonna be a natural disaster of some sort, though in CA (especially urban areas) civil unrest is also a possibility.

So you could consider that most likely wildfires and earthquake is going to be the most likely trigger of a "bug X" scenario.

Either of these scenarios have 3 likely possibilities....it'll happen very near to you and you'll be forced or recommended to evacuate (bug out), it'll happen in your region and you may likely need to simply avoid the affected areas (bug in) or it will have little or no impact on you directly.

Civil unrest is gonna be very dependant on where you live, with the dense urban areas more likely to be affected...you'll have to make a decision as to where to bug out or bug in based on the actual events happening.

I lived in San Diego for 27 years and saw two major issues, both times I bugged in...at least for the initial 48-72 hours after which things stabilized.

One was a wildfire, back in like 2004?, where all of San Diego was essentially cut off. Both the I5 and I15 were closed with no one able to enter or exit the county. This also forced evacuations all around the county...I ended up taking in my folks and some of their neighbors who had been evacuated. Utility services remained mostly unaffected.

The other was a countywide power outage due to some major power line going down. This cut power in San Diego for like 3 days. Luckily a few services were running on emergency generators, and oddly enough cell towers were able to remain powered...so communications was still available. This was another bug-in situation.

In both cases, I had enough food and water in the hours to last for a few days at the very least.

I love wooden rifles
Old 11-22-2018, 9:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post
Your idea makes all the sense in the world if you are able to spot the issue coming and have the ability to react quickly.

Then you didnt read my idea at all.
Its not about reacting quickly.
You know NOW that earthquakes are inevitable correct?
You know NOW that a break down in the economy and society is possible correct?

Then react.
Weigh your odds and move. It took me two solid years.
If yo don't have kids or elderly to take care of and your risk level is low, then stay where you are at.
But I have to say that I did two deployments in the Balkans, and if you think bugging in is your best bet your in for a hell of a surprise.
The only people I saw survive that **** show where the ones who realized what was happening and moved rural or those that just got out of the country right away.

My entire post was written with the idea that if you truly believe that there is going to be a breakdown or disaster and your area will be a hot spot, then move.
Money or careers mean nothing to someone who's dead.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can either bug in or bug out. Keep all options open and never make one place your only place to go or take a stand. People with like minds should make each other availible to move from one location to another if needed.

If something was to happen and your nowhere near home, do you have friends in different locations that you can go to?
Old 11-22-2018, 8:42 PM

Being inconspicuous is key and also the moment when to take off. You need to get out before the confusion on most clears and you need to move to stay alive. Leaving off the land is a joke unless you are versed into it. Also for a vehicle try a motorcycle! Its ironic, but remember the life of the cowboys and Indians, keep it to that but with modern tools!
Old 11-22-2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Then you didnt read my idea at all.
Its not about reacting quickly.
You know NOW that earthquakes are inevitable correct?
You know NOW that a break down in the economy and society is possible correct?

Then react.
Weigh your odds and move. It took me two solid years.
If yo don't have kids or elderly to take care of and your risk level is low, then stay where you are at.
But I have to say that I did two deployments in the Balkans, and if you think bugging in is your best bet your in for a hell of a surprise.
The only people I saw survive that **** show where the ones who realized what was happening and moved rural or those that just got out of the country right away.

My entire post was written with the idea that if you truly believe that there is going to be a breakdown or disaster and your area will be a hot spot, then move.
Money or careers mean nothing to someone who's dead.
I read your post and responded to what you wrote. If you meant something other than what you actually stated, I am not responsible for that. You first started by stating that the only thing to do in an urban environment was to bug out and that sitting in place will eventually get you killed. I stated that this was not necessarily the case and for those of us in the city it may not be possible to get out during or after the quake for the reasons I noted above. At least not in the short term.

You have to assess the situation. Before, during AND after and make the best decision. If you try to bug out too soon it will be as bad as going too late. I agree that you may need to leave if long term survival is in doubt.

The blanket statement about knowing one is coming so you should move is asinine. We're all going to die too, so does that mean I try to run away? Of course not. I plan accordingly and go on about my life. Take what risks are necessary, and not the ones that aren't, but under your logic I would live in futile fear of big events..

There is no where you can go that there is not some risk that will force a change of perspective or situation. I mean, come on....here it's earthquakes. In Kansas it's tornados. In North Dakota, there are these beastly things called missile silos that seem to have the attention of Russian ICBMs. In the Balkans, it was war. It's stupid to to assume there is some place you can go that nothing will ever happen to you. Some things you can see. Some not so.

With THAT said, I agree that blindly sitting in place is as bad as becoming some super mall ninja with your tricked out truck and camping gear thinking you're ready to go. I mean at least learn how to skin a rabbit or chicken so you don't starve.

Just so you know: I did tours in the Balkans as well and currently serve on a planning staff that works with the USGS, OES, FEMA trying to work and craft contingency plans for a magnitude 8.0 in SoCal. I know that if everyone tries to bug out at the same time, which most will but will find they are unable to again for the reason above, the mass confusion will lead to situations of "uncertain and unpredictable resolution". I know what I'm talking about and there is a lot to consider when deciding to stay or go.

A Tsunami? Civil unrest? There's advance warning...get out with your valuables sooner rather than later. But you won't see a quake coming.

As far as the comment about those not sharing with they who wander into the woods, those folk need to understand that there are those who will be desperate. Desperate people do desperate things. They may even be to the point of dying for scraps of food. The question is: Are you willing to die and give your family over to them by not giving them even that? If so...I can say nothing more. Share int he small things, gain an ally. Get greedy, gain an enemy. BTW...not all who wander are lost.

Last item...you said that money and careers mean nothing to someone who is dead. You are correct; However property and supplies to last years mean nothing to someone who died trying to get there too soon or too late if they didn't plan the exodus.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2018, 4:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post
I read your post and responded to what you wrote. If you meant something other than what you actually stated, I am not responsible for that. You first started by stating that the only thing to do in an urban environment was to bug out and that sitting in place will eventually get you killed. I stated that this was not necessarily the case and for those of us in the city it may not be possible to get out during or after the quake for the reasons I noted above. At least not in the short term.

You have to assess the situation. Before, during AND after and make the best decision. If you try to bug out too soon it will be as bad as going too late. I agree that you may need to leave if long term survival is in doubt.

The blanket statement about knowing one is coming so you should move is asinine. We're all going to die too, so does that mean I try to run away? Of course not. I plan accordingly and go on about my life. Take what risks are necessary, and not the ones that aren't, but under your logic I would live in futile fear of big events..

There is no where you can go that there is not some risk that will force a change of perspective or situation. I mean, come on....here it's earthquakes. In Kansas it's tornados. In North Dakota, there are these beastly things called missile silos that seem to have the attention of Russian ICBMs. In the Balkans, it was war. It's stupid to to assume there is some place you can go that nothing will ever happen to you. Some things you can see. Some not so.

With THAT said, I agree that blindly sitting in place is as bad as becoming some super mall ninja with your tricked out truck and camping gear thinking you're ready to go. I mean at least learn how to skin a rabbit or chicken so you don't starve.

Just so you know: I did tours in the Balkans as well and currently serve on a planning staff that works with the USGS, OES, FEMA trying to work and craft contingency plans for a magnitude 8.0 in SoCal. I know that if everyone tries to bug out at the same time, which most will but will find they are unable to again for the reason above, the mass confusion will lead to situations of "uncertain and unpredictable resolution". I know what I'm talking about and there is a lot to consider when deciding to stay or go.

A Tsunami? Civil unrest? There's advance warning...get out with your valuables sooner rather than later. But you won't see a quake coming.

As far as the comment about those not sharing with they who wander into the woods, those folk need to understand that there are those who will be desperate. Desperate people do desperate things. They may even be to the point of dying for scraps of food. The question is: Are you willing to die and give your family over to them by not giving them even that? If so...I can say nothing more. Share int he small things, gain an ally. Get greedy, gain an enemy. BTW...not all who wander are lost.

Last item...you said that money and careers mean nothing to someone who is dead. You are correct; However property and supplies to last years mean nothing to someone who died trying to get there too soon or too late if they didn't plan the exodus.
Yea right over your head I guess.
Sometimes people just like to talk. Many times its for themselves because in the end those around them aren't listening either due to boredom or lack of respect.

The writing is on the wall, and if you had 10% of the background you claimed you would know that once the ball has dropped all bets are off and the odds are not in your favor. From corporate community organizer to former 11b.

This isn't a right or wrong opinion. Some plan on riding it out in the city, and some of us bugged out to remote areas before things actually come to fruition.
Everybody is different and I wish you the best
The only difference is if it doesn't go south those of us who were forward thinkers will have to deal with lower taxes, cleaner air, better gun laws and living in America while you are still in California.
Old 11-23-2018, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Yea right over your head I guess.
Sometimes people just like to talk. Many times its for themselves because in the end those around them aren't listening either due to boredom or lack of respect.

The writing is on the wall, and if you had 10% of the background you claimed you would know that once the ball has dropped all bets are off and the odds are not in your favor. From corporate community organizer to former 11b.

This isn't a right or wrong opinion. Some plan on riding it out in the city, and some of us bugged out to remote areas before things actually come to fruition.
Everybody is different and I wish you the best
The only difference is if it doesn't go south those of us who were forward thinkers will have to deal with lower taxes, cleaner air, better gun laws and living in America while you are still in California.
And I guess reading for comprehension is lost on some people. What you just stated here is not what you stated in the original, but I'm done with it.

In any event, you're right, everyone is different and I'm glad you've found peace somewhere. Good luck on all of your endeavors

Quote:
Old 01-06-2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Urbanites should really think about digging in like ticks for a few months with obvious caveats to the type of emergency living conditions quakes/fires/floods will yield.
This is my thinking as well.
Depending on the type of emergency, I hope to survive at my suburban location until modern conveniences are restored. If it is a SHTF event, if I can last until 75% of the population is dead (120 days), I like my chances (and those around me) of long term survival. And for those around me.
"And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time." (United States v. Miller (1939))

"It is too often the case in political concerns that men state facts not as they are, but as they wish them to be...." (Federal Farmer#1)
Old 01-15-2019, 4:55 PM

Lots of good answers and info here. Obviously the type of incident will dictate bug out or in but in reality depending on the length of time involved bugging out becomes the only choice unless you have some underground fully self sustaining (everything) long term bunker you can live in.

Your stucco house is not defensible at all. Bullets will go through it like cardboard. One molatav cocktail will burn it down. You will eventually run out of food and water and other supplies and then what? by then the roaming gangs of savages will be out there looking for easy prey. Perhaps bugging out early while everyone is still trying to figure out what happened and getting to a safer long term location is a better option. If the event will be less then 6 months then perhaps bugging in is the best option.

I think about this scenario constantly. I know I can keep my family alive for 6 months with supplies staying in the house but can i keep the marauders at bay? My real plan involves getting to my brothers place in the mountains by the lake. 30 miles away, I think this offers the best long term survival chances with fresh water and hunting food options more available and less chance of violent marauders to fight off.

I wish I could afford a fully luxury underground bunker that was entirely self sustaining for an indefinite period of time.
Old 01-15-2019, 6:12 PM

My concern is getting back home if I am a ways out and not the other way.
Old 01-15-2019, 6:42 PM

I've got ab infant, I ain't going anywhere. It has to be really bad at the homestead, and no other option.