Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-31-2018, 10:38 PM

When did you acquire the firearm you want to add to your ccw permit? I would like to see a link for DOJ Modification Form, send me a PM if you like Thanks

Last edited by inyocountymark; 12-31-2018 at 10:43 PM..
Old 01-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyocountymark View Post

When did you acquire the firearm you want to add to your ccw permit? I would like to see a link for DOJ Modification Form, send me a PM if you like Thanks
I acquired the firearm in 2018 and the DOJ form I believe comes from the instructor. I have not qualified yet so I am uncertain but will follow up here once I do.
Old 01-04-2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
I have a question I recently moved to rosamond which is in Kern county just changed over my driver license
I received I Brown card as a temporary because my drivers license is do in the middle of next year
Can I use the Brown license to start my process

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the neighborhood. I am in Rosamond as well. Neva Pahl of Jarvis Firearms training is the place to go for the new training classes that are required. Jess Farmer (the pencil whipping fool died last year)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Papa View Post
I acquired the firearm in 2018 and the DOJ form I believe comes from the instructor. I have not qualified yet so I am uncertain but will follow up here once I do.
I didnt get no form from my instructor, I just followed the instructions and picked up modified permit next day
Old 01-07-2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I didnt get no form from my instructor, I just followed the instructions and picked up modified permit next day
When did you submit the form? Apparently the day I submitted was the last day the folks that process these requests were working.
Old 01-08-2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
When did you submit the form? Apparently the day I submitted was the last day the folks that process these requests were working.
03DEC2018, I think you hit the nail on the head, last day of work 2018,

it looks like any modification to your permit, like adding a firearm will require certification from one of the instructors on the KCSO approved trainers list, imo that could equate into some dollars for one on one training just to add a weapon to the permit or wait 2 years which doesn't sound to good

Last edited by inyocountymark; 01-08-2019 at 9:26 PM..
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM

FYI... KCSD requires qualification of "ALL GUNS LISTED" on permit even if only desiring to add one to existing permit. In my experience I wanted to add a single weapon to the existing permit obtained prior to 2019. I qualified the one and submitted paperwork. At the time of pick up I noticed only the one pistol listed and asked what about the others that were listed? Their response was basically "If any modification is requested... ALL MUST BE QUALIFIED". I had her refund my my $7.50 and hand me my old permit back. It wasn't clear to me but I hope someone see's this and helps to clarify what the current KCSD guidelines are.
Old 02-12-2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
FYI... KCSD requires qualification of "ALL GUNS LISTED" on permit even if only desiring to add one to existing permit. In my experience I wanted to add a single weapon to the existing permit obtained prior to 2019. I qualified the one and submitted paperwork. At the time of pick up I noticed only the one pistol listed and asked what about the others that were listed? Their response was basically "If any modification is requested... ALL MUST BE QUALIFIED". I had her refund my my $7.50 and hand me my old permit back. It wasn't clear to me but I hope someone see's this and helps to clarify what the current KCSD guidelines are.
it's clear to me that I will have to qualify with the 5 I currently have on the permit
Old 02-13-2019, 5:58 AM

Quote:
it's clear to me that I will have to qualify with the 5 I currently have on the permit
That was certainly clear to me that all must be qualified upon renewal or any new application beginning Jan. 1st, 2019 but was not clear that was the case to add to existing permit for the holder that was not up for renewal. Anyway, I hope this info. may be of value to another.
Old 02-13-2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
That was certainly clear to me that all must be qualified upon renewal or any new application beginning Jan. 1st, 2019 but was not clear that was the case to add to existing permit for the holder that was not up for renewal. Anyway, I hope this info. may be of value to another.
that's why I modified my permit early dec 2018, not knowing what 2019 would be like..

Thank You for posting, it will certainly help others in the process
Old 02-14-2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
That's inline with the change in state law, it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 4:16 PM
In Memoriam

Still get to list 10 guns on your permit in Kern?
Old 02-15-2019, 4:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just saw this on the Kern Co SO website (http://www.kernsheriff.com/licensing.aspx). I can't wait to see what the 2018 stats will show.

Old 02-15-2019, 4:38 PM

Can I apply online?
Old 02-15-2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelek View Post
Can I apply online?
Yes, you can.

https://kernca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Old 02-19-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Still get to list 10 guns on your permit in Kern?
yes
Old 03-10-2019, 8:42 PM

yes....every gun on your permit. 12 rounds per gun.....and they actually grade the target now. Piece of cake if you are competent. To each his own......but I don't see the point of 10.

I have had three on my permit since since 1983 and desire no more......I like to be really competent with one and stick with it.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:01 AM

February 27. Application filed

March 7. Notification of wrong prof of residence....last year property tax.

March 11. Correct information received.

March 14. Approved

March 26. Certificate and qualification turned in to Sheriffs Office.

March 27. Final approval ready for pick up.

Submitting the wrong year property tax and having to wait to get in a class added about two weeks. But I’m really happy.

Last edited by deantac; 03-30-2019 at 1:44 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 5:40 AM

I have a friend who was recently denied his initial CCW application. Friends says everything was in order and he’s upset about his denial. Evidently, he was under the assumption that a retired military member with a spotless record, proper documentation, and valid “good: cause would be an automatic approval.

I have a question for ANYONE who has ever been denied a CCW in Kern County, did you receive an explanation of why your were denied? My friends is telling me he received no explanation...after speninding $160 + and no CCW he’s upset.

I get it, it’s an application...one just doesn’t “buy” a CCW. I can’t say my friend is being completely upfront with me...but yet, he’s venting. So I wanna know what similar people in similar circumstances experienced.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorio1961 View Post
I have a friend who was recently denied his initial CCW application. Friends says everything was in order and he’s upset about his denial. Evidently, he was under the assumption that a retired military member with a spotless record, proper documentation, and valid “good: cause would be an automatic approval.

I have a question for ANYONE who has ever been denied a CCW in Kern County, did you receive an explanation of why your were denied? My friends is telling me he received no explanation...after speninding $160 + and no CCW he’s upset.

I get it, it’s an application...one just doesn’t “buy” a CCW. I can’t say my friend is being completely upfront with me...but yet, he’s venting. So I wanna know what similar people in similar circumstances experienced.

Have him appeal his denial. If you need further assistance PM me and I can give you my instructors name who can help him rewrite his "good cause" statement.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Have him appeal his denial. If you need further assistance PM me and I can give you my instructors name who can help him rewrite his "good cause" statement.

As usual, upon further review there’s more to the story. In this guy’s Good Cause he refffered to a sideline business, that the county says Ned’s to be licensed. So until he can get the business licensed, no CCW. Takes more than 10 days to get inot compliance, so he gets to way a year.

Thanks for the reply, however.

Old 04-03-2019, 7:37 PM

Does he hunt, fish, camp in remote places, frequently travel to destinations with no cell phone reception, etc... ? Just a few hints to help him out.
Old 05-07-2019, 1:41 PM

Could someone from Kern maybe PM me to help with a good cause statement and how difficult is it to obtain a ccw thanks!
Old 06-15-2019, 4:18 PM
In Memoriam

Does Kern allow off roster guns on their CCW?
Old 06-16-2019, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Yes.
Old 06-20-2019, 9:37 AM

Quote:
They do. However, according to Kern Sherriff Dept, the DOJ recently started denying handguns that are registered as "single shot" to be listed on ccw permits. If your off-roster was obtained thru SSE and is registered as a "single shot", you'll need to re-register it as a semi-auto before it can be added to permit.
Old 09-21-2019, 1:18 AM

I'm in the process of renewing my CCW. Just wondering, as of late, does KCSO still use the paper permit? Or are they on a standard wallet sized card yet?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterTheDogC@t View Post
I'm in the process of renewing my CCW. Just wondering, as of late, does KCSO still use the paper permit? Or are they on a standard wallet sized card yet?

Thanks!
still using paper
Old 09-23-2019, 6:18 AM

Default Kern ccw

I got mine about a year ago and they issue only the paper. I hope they will get into the 21st century soon.
Old 12-16-2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrong View Post
That's inline with the change in state law, it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

I disagree and so does my IA (Stanislaus Sheriff). My wife added a single firearm to her permit, removing a different one, keeping two. She only had to qualify with the addition. Clearly you have to do what your IA says you have to do, but you could let them know that other IAs aren't doing the same for simple additions.

Asking for a friend in Kern: Is "self protection" good cause in Kern now? That's what the map shows (but doesn't mean it is correct): http://www.baggss.us/

Last edited by Jason95357; 12-16-2019 at 8:25 PM..
Old 12-16-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
I disagree and so does my IA (Stanislaus Sheriff). My wife added a single firearm to her permit, removing a different one, keeping two. She only had to qualify with the addition. Clearly you have to do what your IA says you have to do, but you could let them know that other IAs aren't doing the same for simple additions.

Asking for a friend in Kern: Is "self protection" good cause in Kern now? That's what the map shows (but doesn't mean it is correct): http://www.baggss.us/
in some cases self protection is good enough
Old 01-03-2020, 3:03 AM

I just moved into Kern County and had a few questions about applying for the permit. I previously lived in a county that does not issue.

1) How long must/should I live in Kern before applying? I just moved here last week. I have a lease agreement and will soon have several utility bills to prove residence. I've updated my address with the DMV. Should I wait some amount of time before applying?

2) I was arrested a handful of times as a minor and as a young adult (over ten years ago) but was never charged with anything. Would the arrests possibly come up by themselves, even though I have never been actually charged with a crime? I have never previously failed any kind of background check. But I was booked a few times at the sheriff's office one county over, as a young man.

3) I have two main good causes and was wondering what you all thought. The first is that I wear expensive watches. Rolex and such. I feel this could make me a target for crime. I've heard carrying valuable items is good cause. I'm not required to carry valuable items, but I choose to. The second is that I enjoy outdoorsmanship. I go deep in the backcountry, sometimes for a week, I run into bears and mountain lions, and as a licensed hunter I already lawfully carry for defense with the hunting exemption. I'd like to be able to carry when I'm out there but I'm not hunting.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:19 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylubew89 View Post
I just moved into Kern County and had a few questions about applying for the permit. I previously lived in a county that does not issue.

1) How long must/should I live in Kern before applying? I just moved here last week. I have a lease agreement and will soon have several utility bills to prove residence. I've updated my address with the DMV. Should I wait some amount of time before applying?

2) I was arrested a handful of times as a minor and as a young adult (over ten years ago) but was never charged with anything. Would the arrests possibly come up by themselves, even though I have never been actually charged with a crime? I have never previously failed any kind of background check. But I was booked a few times at the sheriff's office one county over, as a young man.

3) I have two main good causes and was wondering what you all thought. The first is that I wear expensive watches. Rolex and such. I feel this could make me a target for crime. I've heard carrying valuable items is good cause. I'm not required to carry valuable items, but I choose to. The second is that I enjoy outdoorsmanship. I go deep in the backcountry, sometimes for a week, I run into bears and mountain lions, and as a licensed hunter I already lawfully carry for defense with the hunting exemption. I'd like to be able to carry when I'm out there but I'm not hunting.
If you read through this thread the Good Cause reasons are listed and easy to meet.

No need to mention your watches or other valuables.

Kern is pro issue. Part of the Sheriffs campaign promises. Also list all your interactions with LEO. You will be in worse shape if you don't.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:

1. You will need to provide proof on residing in Kern COunty (Tax Bill, Utility Bill...etc... example are given in the application process which is completely done online.

2. Full disclosure is in order here. Better to tell all and miss something and get denied and have to wait one year to reapply.

3. Good causes need to be personally related to your situation. Going with whatever was approved by a friend in the past may or mot not apply to you. If you go off grid, make sure at least one of your references can vouch for you that you truly go of the grid and aren’t using it as a made up reason.

4. My response isn’t intended to accuse nor upset, just giving you my opinion... good luck in your quest. Oh yeah, you will need to find a qualified instructor to get you the required training...

Old 01-03-2020, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’m new to Kern County and was wondering if anyone out there knows how long it takes to get permit?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2020, 6:09 PM

I moved here to Kern county 2 years ago and waited 6 months to apply. I don't know what is normal for Kern but I had mine in hand in 36 days. Good luck & carry safe.
Old 01-03-2020, 6:25 PM

It took me about 7 months

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't put down that you carry valuable items unless it's your job....the investigator will tell you not to wear them.

Last edited by inyocountymark; 01-06-2020 at 9:33 PM..
Old 01-04-2020, 8:00 PM

11 years ago it took me one month to have paper in hand

Last edited by inyocountymark; 01-04-2020 at 8:03 PM..
Old 01-06-2020, 7:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the responses guys! I will post my experience as soon as I get it.