Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-23-2019, 8:19 AM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Default J-Frame Grip Shopping

Hello everyone,
Have a vintage S&W Model 60 in jail and it had these full size rubber grips on it (no brand on it). I want to go with a compact setup and did a quick search considered the Hogue G10, VZ Grips, and Altamont. Saw that quality control on Pachmayr has diminished.

Wanted to know what others have recommended. I understand grips are a personal taste (just look at the 1911 platform) and any brand to avoid would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!
Vinny

Old 09-23-2019, 8:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Are you going to carry it? The same Hogue boot grip type that comes from S&W on the new guns is fine, although you might look at the wood ones because the rubber ones hang up on clothing.
Old 09-23-2019, 8:36 AM
CGN Contributor

^Yes I plan to carry in the future. Will look into wood or G10 to prevent hang ups.

Old 09-23-2019, 8:42 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

The 3 brands you mentioned are all excellent. They are all OEM grip makers for the largest brands. I would not hesitate to buy grips from any of them (and I have from all of them on many occasions). It just comes down to style/color/material preference.

Old 09-23-2019, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Now since this is an older vintage you're probably looking for something that looks good like real stag horn or possibly that legal "bonded ivory", maybe even some exotic wood type grips that fit on a J frame but if this is going to be used in a practical defensive way you might think about laser grips from a quality maker like Crimson Trace.

I believe they make at least two different sizes for the J frame and the smaller one is very similar to the small black rubber-like Smith & Wesson Style grips that are currently issued on J frames.

Yes it'll set you back around $100 but it'll still be about as small as a grip as you can get plus you get the advantages (and minor disadvantages, like battery replacement) of a laser.

With a pistol like a J frame you need lots of training to become accurate and a laser can help with training and possibly give you an edge if you're in a self-defense situation and you cannot line up your sights.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited by sealocan; 09-23-2019 at 8:52 AM..
Old 09-23-2019, 8:52 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Now since this is an older vintage you're probably looking for something that looks good like real stag horn or possibly that legal "bonded ivory", maybe even some exotic wood type grips that fit on a J frame what if this is going to be used in a practical defensive way you might think about laser grips from equality maker like Crimson Trace.

I believe they have two different sizes for the J frame and the smaller one is very similar to the small black rubber Smith & Wesson Style groups that are currently issued on J frames.

Yes it'll set you back around $100 but it'll still be about as small as a grip as you can get plus you get the advantages (and minor disadvantages, like battery replacement) of a laser.

With a pistol like a J frame you need lots of training to become accurate and a laser can help with training and possibly give you an edge if you're in a self-defense situation and you cannot line up your sights.

Just my two cents worth.
Yes the bonded ivory offering and nice wood would look great on a stainless j-frame. After shooting my buddy's 642 a bunch of times, I made the plunge and found a vintage model 60. Deliberate practice and adjusting trigger pull is key.

Old 09-23-2019, 9:06 AM

I replaced the factory wood grips on mine since it was hard to shoot with that little bit of wood, and put on some Hoque rubber grips and they made all the difference in the world. Shoot it with what it has and see if they work for you. I find function over aesthetics is important.
Old 09-23-2019, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

If this is a first belly gun then I suggest the OP shoot it as is and discover why the big rubber grips are already on there.

Going minimal on the grips in order to make it more compact usually translates to "more unshootable" condition. Accuracy wise anyway.

Hogue has been my go to grip brand. They always held up and gave good purchase.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-23-2019, 9:25 AM

Put the VZ 320 G10 on my 442 . No complaints , not as forgiving as the hogue runner grips but then again it's not a range gun.
Old 09-23-2019, 9:41 AM

Altamonts look and feel great, but they go cheap on the mounting hardware. I've had a couple Altamonts and both got corrosion in the mounting screw. I ultimately ended up with oversized Hogues on my 60 pro - necessary with .357 rounds.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

FWIW I use plain S&W factory wood stocks and a BK Grip adapter.

http://www.bkgrips.com/
Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Head Janitor

I have tried probably 30 different types of grips for my Model 60 and 638 over the years, always trying to find the 'best'.

The ones I like are:
The Eagle Secret Service grips.
I like the smooth Rosewood but that's a personal choice.

https://www.eaglegrips.com/secret-se...ps-smooth.html

The Pachmayr Compac Professional.
The Professional version NOT the basic Compac! Pro is thinner and fits my hand better.

https://www.amazon.com/Compac-Profes.../dp/B0002INPES

I currently have the Altamont Boot Grip on my 638 and the Altamont Combat on my 60. Since I don't carry the Model 60 I kind of wish i'd have gone with the Bateleur for the enclosed backstrap.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...esson/j-round/

Chances are I've tried whatever you're looking at, including that freaking ridiculous Ergo Delta grip which I wouldn't even give to an enemy.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
FWIW I use plain S&W factory wood stocks and a BK Grip adapter.

http://www.bkgrips.com/
Interesting, it's like a synthetic version of the old aluminum Tyler T Grip.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

My 442 is a bedside gun so I wanted a lasergrip. The Crimson Trace is comfortable. Just my $ .02

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 09-23-2019, 11:56 AM

I have six snubbies, 3 Rugers and 3 S&W, and they all wear Pachmyrs for a reason. You need all the rubber grip you can get when firing such light pistols, especially when you are shooting .38, .357 or 9 mm. Your hands will appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

I carried a 642 with the factory rubber boot grips for years. I recently switched to smith factory wood grips and I was surprised that it gives me more length to the grip, little more purchase area.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rubber boot grips are nice. If you want to splurge and wait, look at Craig Spegel boot grips
Old 09-23-2019, 2:53 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I have tried probably 30 different types of grips for my Model 60 and 638 over the years, always trying to find the 'best'.

The ones I like are:

The Pachmayr Compac Professional.
The Professional version NOT the basic Compac! Pro is thinner and fits my hand better.

https://www.amazon.com/Compac-Profes.../dp/B0002INPES

I currently have the Altamont Boot Grip on my 638 and the Altamont Combat on my 60. Since I don't carry the Model 60 I kind of wish i'd have gone with the Bateleur for the enclosed backstrap.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...esson/j-round/

Chances are I've tried whatever you're looking at, including that freaking ridiculous Ergo Delta grip which I wouldn't even give to an enemy.
Thank you for your input!!! Really liking the Bateleur since it covers the backstrap and also didn't understand the Ergo Delta

Old 09-23-2019, 2:59 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The good news about the Bateleur is that it makes 125 grain .357 tolerable, almost comfortable, in my little J-Magnum frame Model 60-15. 3" barrel.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 09-23-2019, 3:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The color is "through & through" and they can be ground on, smooths up perfectly. In addition to what they're supposed to be used for I have them on a Schofield, USFA Bisley, a Ruger Redhawk and some Charter Arms. Good guy to deal with too. About 4 days shipping.
Old 09-23-2019, 5:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Boot grip is superb for a snubby J-frame.

Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 09-23-2019, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

My favorite j frame grips are the old uncle Mike's rubber boot grips which used to come from the s&w factory. They feel better than the short hogues to me.

I haven't tried the vz grips boots, but they look nice.
Old 09-23-2019, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

If you want the 2 finger rubber grip, look on Ebay for "take-off" grips. People buy S&W guns with the small grips, then replace them with longer grips, and sell the original ones on ebay.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 09-23-2019, 7:03 PM

I carry a 340PD during my work week in an ankle holster. It's either that or nothing because of the work I do. The rest of the time, it's full sized semi autos.
That said, the 340PD is fitted with CT laser grips. They are comfortable and don't snag on my pants. The grips are exposed to an environment that is pretty harsh. I check the batteries every time I holster the revolver. After three years, I just replace them. It's been twelve years with this set up and the grips still fire when asked.
Can't go wrong with CT.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-23-2019, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Are you going to carry it? The same Hogue boot grip type that comes from S&W on the new guns is fine, although you might look at the wood ones because the rubber ones hang up on clothing.
Hogue makes hard plastic and rubber grips. The hard plastic might not hang up on clothes.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 09-23-2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:

The ones I like are:

I have those Eagle rosewood grip[s on my 442. Pretty nice, no snag and about the same size as the factory grip it came with.
Old 09-23-2019, 7:41 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
If you want the 2 finger rubber grip, look on Ebay for "take-off" grips. People buy S&W guns with the small grips, then replace them with longer grips, and sell the original ones on ebay.

Been scouring eBay for some "take-offs". Since I'm starting from a full-size grip and moving towards a boot grip, I guess it comes down to trial and error for grips.

Thanks y'all for your input.

Old 09-24-2019, 3:39 AM
Calguns Addict

I use this with this for my carry J frame.

The combo gives a classic snubnose that period, old timer look and it's perfect for just about any situation where it is difficult to carry a gun.

I am thinking of trying this to do away with the Tyler T.
Old 09-24-2019, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
Been scouring eBay for some "take-offs". Since I'm starting from a full-size grip and moving towards a boot grip, I guess it comes down to trial and error for grips.

Thanks y'all for your input.
The OEM J-frame rubber boot grip that you are looking for is currently out of stock on S&W's website, but you can subscribe for an e-mail notification when they come back in stock. I did this for one of their J-frame Combat grips, and received a "back in stock" notice within just a few weeks. These rubber boot grips are still being used on many of their newly produced J-frame snubbies, so they shouldn't be out of stock for very long.

https://store.smith-wesson.com/grip-s-w-j-e-synt-boot
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
~Thomas Jefferson~
Old 09-24-2019, 5:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't have a J-frame, but I really like Altamonts for my L-frames.

Personally, I really like the rubber Hogues for carry on my LCR.

I think I'm seeing factory J-frame grips here:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...e+factory+grip
Old 09-24-2019, 9:51 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Here are Altamont Talo Edition boot grips on my 642 Pro

Old 09-24-2019, 10:52 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
A couple of threads re Tyler on the S&W forum... I would recommend them. The threads, that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:34 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Here are Altamont Talo Edition boot grips on my 642 Pro
How is the felt recoil compared to the standard rubber boot grips? Also any slippage from the wood?

Thank you,
Vinny

Old 09-24-2019, 1:34 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
How is the felt recoil compared to the standard rubber boot grips? Also any slippage from the wood?

Thank you,
Vinny
I never shot it with the rubber so can't say. I am not usually too recoil sensitive with these snubs though until I shoot 357 from them. The wood works ok with the checkering or knobbies or whatever you call that pattern, and the contours and finger grooves also help keep it from wanting to rotate around.

But this is not a carry piece for me unless I go out of state, no room on the permit for everything I'd like to give a try. If this was a daily carry I might end up with a different grip.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-24-2019 at 1:37 PM..
Old 09-24-2019, 2:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I never shot it with the rubber so can't say. I am not usually too recoil sensitive with these snubs though until I shoot 357 from them. The wood works ok with the checkering or knobbies or whatever you call that pattern, and the contours and finger grooves also help keep it from wanting to rotate around.

But this is not a carry piece for me unless I go out of state, no room on the permit for everything I'd like to give a try. If this was a daily carry I might end up with a different grip.
Cool good to know. Luckily Riverside County allows six listings on the permit, so I still have room to add.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Plan right now is to get it out of jail next Monday and shoot with the grip it came with - it is a full size combat grip (looks like a generic rubber, no markings/brand/etc.). Since it is an older model 60, it doesn't have any +P ratings on it. Will be trial and error to see how well I do with grips. The rubber snagging on clothing sounds like an issue so I'll take that into consideration when selecting for CCW purposes. The only pistol I own that is comparable in terms of leaving the pinky floating is my G26. Honesty don't have a problem gripping without the pinky. Really looking forward to furthering my skillset with pistols.