Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-17-2019, 9:46 AM

Default Need input best 100-300 10-12x42-50 binoculars

What I will be using it for? Deer shooting. Just need good low light performance glassing at tops 300 yards tops. I'm looking at Vortex Crossfire HD, Diamondback HD, Nikon Monarch 5, leupold BX2
Old 09-17-2019, 3:50 PM

leica -- hands down. had vortex, zeiss, very comparable to swarovski.
Old 09-17-2019, 4:03 PM

Just bought some BX-4's. Haven't came in yet, but read a lot of good reviews.
Old 09-22-2019, 8:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Try some binos out at a brick and mortar store and actually look through as many different brands types.
Find something you can live with and then go price shopping.

I settled on Steiner military marine 8x30 and 10x50 paid about $250 for the x8 and +$100 more for the x50. I've use them for everything shooting related for quite some years now.
Great field of view, eye relief and weighs about 1 lb/2lb depending. Individual eye piece focus.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-23-2019, 9:26 AM

Meopta for binoculars. I haven't used their new Optika line but have the 8x56 Meopro's and they are phenomenal.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Meopta-Opt...rs-653505.aspx
Old 09-24-2019, 2:56 PM

I've been doing some research on new binos too, trying to stay in the same price point. I would be concerned with the field of view and stability for hand glassing over 10x. If you have a rest, then YMMV.

Although the roof prism binos are all the rage, the old porro prism seem to be as good, or better at the same price point. I.e. to get the same performance in a roof prism bino with respect to Chromatic Abberation and Clarity, you have to pay 2-3x more than a comparable porro prism. This is a result of the additional technology, coatings, etc required to make a roof prism bino.

My decision is to wait until the black friday sales start popping up at places like Optics Planet and grab a set of Steiner MM 7x50s.

Good luck with your quest!
Old 09-26-2019, 3:31 PM

I went to Cabela's compared 200-250 range, 10x42mm/10x50mm. Vortex Crossfire HD 10x50, Diamondback HD 10x50, Cabela's Intensity HD 10x50, Leupold BX2 Tioga 10x42, Nikon Monarch 5 10x42. The next tier bino I looked was the Monarch 7, Viper HD, unfortunately they didn't have any Leupold BX-4 or Zeiss Terra ED for that price range. Had them dim the lights at the stuffed animals on their mountain display. Was reading raving reviews on the Diamondback HD 10x50 and it was my intent to get them. I'm glad did not order them online based on those reviews. Almost jump the gun for 215 shipped. Edge to edge on the Crossfire HD was bad, Diamondback HD wasn't much better in my opinion and not worth the price increase over the Crossfires. The same for low light conditions. Chromatic aberration was just bad on both. Vortex uses the term HD pretty loosely on these two models. Found out they don't have ED glass. As far as brightness goes the Tioga with their 42 MM objective were brighter than the vortex's 50mm by a good margin. Edge to edge for the Intensity HD, BX2 Tioga, Monarch 5 was significantly better. Brightness in order Tioga, Intensity HD, Monarch 5. All very close. I bought the Tioga 10x42mm but taking them back to Cabela's because they had a very fine 1/2" horizontal scratch somewhere on the coating layers or inside the objective lens. You could only see it from a certain angle. Ended up with Tioga 10x50mm on sale at $219 the sweet spot with better warranty over Cabela's Intensity 10x50mm which was on sale for $200 but went back up to $219, Monarch 5 at $269. As sales, rebates start kicking in Monarch 5 would probably be a better buy if they get down to $230 range. Now the Viper HD and Monarch 7 were just WOW over the Diamondback HD. And better than the Intensity HD, BX2 Tioga, Monarch 5. But 2X-2.5X that will be up to you to decide. It's just not worth the price for my current use. And that is flatlands overlooking cornfields 200-300 yards max to a thick wooded tree line for deer. It's like clubbing baby seals hunting here vs hunting in A, D6, D7, D8, D9 . If I was still in California I'd just probably just get w/e is cheapest and lightest in the price range of a Viper HD. As a poster above said, go to the brick and mortar and actually look through them first. Your eyes are not the same as mine.
Old 09-28-2019, 7:34 AM

I like my Meopta set. Want to get the new offering, just waiting on the right deal. https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/u...a-hd-13194-26/
Old 09-30-2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman635 View Post
I like my Meopta set. Want to get the new offering, just waiting on the right deal. https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/u...a-hd-13194-26/
Looked through these and was impressed for the money - I would check these out.
Old 09-30-2019, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Like others have said. Meopta.

Under $1k, nothing can touch a Meostar.

If you want better, you’d have to get to Swaro level.