Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 05-20-2022, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Default Finally picked up an M1 Carbine

I've been wanting an M1 Carbine for many years, but never knew enough about all the variations or found one that I was willing to spend the money on.

Found one at a shop a few days ago and decided to pick it up. It's a Quality Hardware receiver in the 4.8 million serial range, so 1944 based on what I've read. It was supposedly restored or built by Fulton Armory and the stock has the FA / CMcK cartouch. The rifle looks like brand new, and the shop told me that the guy who brought it in said he never fired it after getting it from Fulton.

I tried calling Fulton to see if they had any records on the rifle, but was told that they were not easily accessible. No paperwork came with the rifle.

There are many parts with USGI manufacturers stamps on them, but I'm sure the barrel has been replaced. No date on it, and the only stamp I can find on it is a "C". I'm guessing it's a Criterion barrel, but does anybody know how it should be stamped? Anything else I should check for?

Anyways, pretty excited about getting this and now I'm busy reading about them and trying to decipher all these codes. I guess it doesn't matter since it's not original, but love the history on these things.

I can't figure out how to imbed my pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220520_143235.jpg (91.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 20220520_143252.jpg (90.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20220520_143315.jpg (90.1 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by jeffyhog; 05-20-2022 at 5:06 PM..
Old 05-21-2022, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Nice looking gun. If Fulton did it, it’s been done right…The guy in the for sale section below has a can of ammo for sale.. you should jump on it.
Old 05-21-2022, 1:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Very nicely done. FWIW, magazines are likely more responsible for iffy performance than the gun itself. The Korean mags work well, USGI works best. Last time I checked Brownells had a supply.

I have a place in southern OR (GP) and am always looking for new LGS to use my C&R. Where did you find this one?
Old 05-21-2022, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
Nice looking gun. If Fulton did it, it’s been done right…The guy in the for sale section below has a can of ammo for sale.. you should jump on it.
Thank you. I do have a few hundred rounds of ammo that I've picked up over the years. I'm notorious for picking up ammo for guns I have yet to buy. I haven't done the research yet, but is commercial carbine ammo OK to use in these old guns, or do I need to stick with GI spec ammo? I know the Garand needs Garand spec ammo so that the op rod isn't damaged.
Old 05-21-2022, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

All we want to know is how much did you pay? $1000?

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 05-21-2022 at 2:12 PM..
Old 05-21-2022, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Very nicely done. FWIW, magazines are likely more responsible for iffy performance than the gun itself. The Korean mags work well, USGI works best. Last time I checked Brownells had a supply.

I have a place in southern OR (GP) and am always looking for new LGS to use my C&R. Where did you find this one?
It came with one original "U" marked magazine which is in like new condition. I'll try to pick up a couple more USGI mags. I'll take a look at Brownells. This was in a shop in Roseburg.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

All commercial ammo s/b fine in your carbine unlike Garands where a lot of hunting arms share the 30.06 round. Do you reload?
Old 05-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
All we want to know is how much did you pay? $1000?
I paid $1200
Old 05-22-2022, 10:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog View Post
I paid $1200
That's not bad, makes me want one now
Old 05-27-2022, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely fun guns. A few Years back I was at the range and a guy and his wife were shooting at the station next to me. She was giving my Carbine the eye ( 1944 NPM). I asked her if she’d like to try it. Well I let her go to town with 5 full mags. She was super stoked shooting the “ cute little rifle”. When leaving the husband told me.. “ you know you just cost me $1500 right?” Happy wife happy life.