Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 05-18-2020, 4:34 PM

Default Two North American made Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1* rifles

A brief look at two Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1* rifles. Not pristine examples, but these rifles are in good condition and one shows
indications of repairs at a particular British Army base during its service life.

Long Branch Lee Enfield No. 4 MK 1*:

A sure sign of British custody for this Canadian built Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1* rifle, the British Broad Arrow mark on the receiver. Canada had its own agreement to supply arms to Britain during WW2.

Looking at the photos above, some research, observations and conclusions about this Long Branch rifle.

The color of the front stock and butt stock pieces are different. I think this is do to each piece being different wood...birch and walnut.

I've read the "WLH/4/52" marking on the stock is from a British Army base maintenance, the Bovington Camp British Army Armoured Fighting Training Group in Dorset England. Therefore, the present stock pieces on this rifle may have been part of a base rifle repair.

Sometime, a little research can give you bits of obscure information. The "CCM" marking on the stock's front nose cap is a marking for the manufacturer "Canada Cycle & Motor Co., LTD". On the top of the brass butt plate there is a "L" stamped over a code "M/216"...the code stands for Sanbra LTD, a Birmingham England brass maker.

There are "B" within L" marks stamped on various parts like the safety lever. This is a Long Branch factory identification for the part.

I also think the milled steel Mark 1 ladder style rear sight on the rifle was a replacement made in England. My understanding is that 1942 Long Branch No 4 Mk1* rifles out of the factory from Canada had a flip up two position 300/600-yard rear peep sight (designated the Mark 2) because there were not enough Mark 1 milled sights available. Later, during 1943 and afterwards, the flip up peep sights were replaced when the Mark 3 stamped steel rear ladder sight was introduced and became available; and also, post-war, the milled Mark 1 rear sights were used as replacements.

The rifle has matching serial numbers on the receiver butt stock socket, stock fore-end, bolt handle and magazine bottom.

Long Branch also made the Lee Enfield No4 Mark II spike bayonet which makes a good complement for any collector's Long Branch Lee Enfield No4 Mk1* rifle.

Savage Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1*:

Looking at the photos above, some observations and comments about this Savage rifle.

A squared "S" identifies Savage made parts. You'll also see Flame and Shell ordnance acceptance marks, just like one sees on U.S rifles.

The Savage Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1* rifles were made for the WW2 "Lend Lease Act" as military aid and are roll marked on the left side of the receiver "U.S. Property".

There is a British Broad Arrow stamped on the right side of the receiver near the bolt handle. Also, the top of the receiver is stamped with a Broad Arrow within a "U" which is a South African military acceptance mark. I think this rifle was first "lent" to England; and later, under British custody, distributed to South African forces.

Like the Long Branch rifle above, the milled steel Mark 1 ladder style rear sight maybe an overseas replacement for the factory Mark 2 300/600-yard two position flip peep sight used by Canadian and American Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1* manufacturers during 1942.

There is a large "S" stamped on the top of the wood stock. I think this is the stock size marking and not a Savage manufacture mark.

Instead of the brass found on British made Lee Enfield No 4 Mk1 rifles, the butt stock plate on this rifle is made of a zinc alloy called "Zamak".

The serial numbers on this rifle where observed all match. Except for one shallow dent and one gouge, the stock is solid with its fit to the receiver and uniformly finished.

The spike bayonet in the rifle photograph is also Savage manufacture.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by loademup; 01-21-2022 at 9:13 AM.. Reason: photograph and comment addition
Old 05-19-2020, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member

Savage rifles are nice and very accurate.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.
Old 05-19-2020, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
Savage rifles are nice and very accurate.
All the photographs I've seen of your Lee Enfields, SMLEs and gear MJ1 are better than nice. Amazing collection you have. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-17-2020, 1:36 AM

Very nice! My first Enfield is a Long Branch No.4 and my latest one is a Savage No.4.

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT
Old 07-19-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenax View Post
Very nice! My first Enfield is a Long Branch No.4 and my latest one is a Savage No.4.
Lee Enfield No. 4 rifles certainly are collectable rifles. What's nice about many of the them is that you can find WW2 military surplus ones with matching or nearly all matching numbered and factory marked parts or even brand new post-war rifles.. And also, you can find them in shooting condition.

I know there are others on this forum out there who have some pretty pristine examples; but the ones that show signs of their service are great collectors too.

My first Lee Enfield No. 4 was the Long Branch and I only selected it because it seemed the one in best condition among a dozen on a rack. The Savage was my 2nd and I went on to buy a couple of others when I found them, including a No. 5.
Old 07-19-2020, 2:04 PM

I remember Big 5 selling No.4's for 99-129, depending. I saw several Savages.
The good old days.
Old 07-20-2020, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess B. Guy View Post
I remember Big 5 selling No.4's for 99-129, depending. I saw several Savages.
The good old days.
Yep...good times...I bought the Long Branch and the Savage at Turners at different times in the early 1990's...99.99 and 89.99 before tax. I wasn't particularly looking for Lee Enfield No. 4s when I walked in...a bunch of No. 4s were there to pick and choose from,just sitting on a floor rack on the general merchandise floor. That is milsurp collectors paradise.