Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-05-2018, 5:39 PM

Default Conditional offer

Earlier today I received some news that absolutely made my day. The sheriff office that I applied to gave me a conditional offer for employment. As many of you had guessed in the other post I started about the glock 45; I will be starting out in the county jail.

This has been a long journey and I can not wait to take on this new challenge. I am focused and determined to learn and absorb as much as I can. I want to thank you all for the great knowledge and advice I have received through this forum. I have all the support from my family and feel the sky is the limit.

I won't be attending the academy anytime soon. Typically deputies spend 4-6 months in the jail before moving on to the academy then patrol. Time frame can be different by person and/or needs of the sheriff office. I was told this is normal for most new hires. If that is true I have no way of verifying until I start and begin to talk to the other deputies. Either way I can eventually work my way up to patrol. For now I am focused on learning all about the position I was offered and to do my best. Taking it one step at a time.

Once again thanks to all of you guys for advice, motivation and even bringing me back to earth when I needed to be reminded one step at a time.
Old 11-05-2018, 5:55 PM

Congrats on the offer. I was originally hired on by a Sheriffs Office prior to lateraling to a Police Dept. They sent me to the academy first then the jails then patrol. Regardless you have to attend some sort of academy prior to working the jails whether it be 26 week patrol academy or 16 week correctional academy so you may be attending an academy sooner than you think. The next 2 years of your life will be stressful and uncertain as you are an at will employee until you pass probation. It will not be easy by any means, however if you keep your head up, stay focused, and keep your family first, this will be the most rewarding job you’ve ever had.
Old 11-05-2018, 6:42 PM

Thank you Atomic Donut

Good to know about the academy. I guess I will just have to wait and see what path I get sent on. Either way I am ready to try my best. My title will be correction officer. This leads me to believe I will be doing a 16 week academy.
Old 11-06-2018, 7:38 AM

Congratulations! When you’re in the academy, don’t be afraid to get in there and make mistakes. It’s a sterile environment and one of the best ways to learn.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2018, 7:52 AM

Congrats.
Old 11-06-2018, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats!
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 11-06-2018, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Just curious. Your tittle will be Correctional Officer, but you are working for the sheriffs department?

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’ve never heard of the sheriffs department sending somebody to the jails before the Academy. What agency will you be working for?

Maybe I’m just old and never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2018, 10:18 AM

^ my offer letter said correctional officer (aka correctional deputy) . I believe I had it wrong now that I am getting a little more info. I am most likely going to be doing a 16 week corrections academy. I don't have much information just yet but I did contact the agency for more info. I am hoping they will get back to me soon. I am still very excited to get my foot in the door and hope I can transition into patrol at some point.

Thanks to all for the congrats.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Start running now. A lot. Every day. Get in really good shape before day 1 so you can focus on the academics and not be ***-dragging every evening.

Congrats!
Old 11-06-2018, 5:06 PM

I was able to get a bit more info. I will be attending the stc core academy at the Santa Clara sheriff's training center. I will be starting work at the jail about one month before the start of the academy. I will be sent off with a few other new hires. I will need to be sworn in to the sheriff's office.
Old 11-07-2018, 6:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It reads that you are being hired as a Correctional/Jail Deputy. That used to be a separate entity & command than the Sheriff's- but a couple years ago it was brought back under the Sheriff's umbrella. You'll have the chance to do well, and that will get noticed- if being a Patrol Deputy is what you want, I hope that helps. Plus it gets you employed and clock starts ticking w/CALPERS. To become a Sheriff Deputy, you'll need a full POST academy, but hopefully if its a transfer- they'll pay for it and a salary while you go.

If Patrol is really what you want to do, I'm not so sure this position is the fastest path- I'd ask a lot of clarifying questions all about that expectation before things start and not just of the hiring authority; ask the Deputy Association, experienced Jail and Patrol Deputies, familiar outsiders- like the Academy instructors (I think its Evergreen College San Jose). Get real clear on things and again- and start running now.
Old 11-07-2018, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
It reads that you are being hired as a Correctional/Jail Deputy. That used to be a separate entity & command than the Sheriff's- but a couple years ago it was brought back under the Sheriff's umbrella. You'll have the chance to do well, and that will get noticed- if being a Patrol Deputy is what you want, I hope that helps. Plus it gets you employed and clock starts ticking w/CALPERS. To become a Sheriff Deputy, you'll need a full POST academy, but hopefully if its a transfer- they'll pay for it and a salary while you go.

If Patrol is really what you want to do, I'm not so sure this position is the fastest path- I'd ask a lot of clarifying questions all about that expectation before things start and not just of the hiring authority; ask the Deputy Association, experienced Jail and Patrol Deputies, familiar outsiders- like the Academy instructors (I think its Evergreen College San Jose). Get real clear on things and again- and start running now.
I agree, my understanding is there is a long line, and seniority plays a role when testing opens up for positions. So patience is the key if you plan to stay with them.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:29 AM

^ I completely agree this isn't the fastest route. This is the first and only agency I applied to. For that reason I am going to take the position and learn as much as I can. If I decide I want to continue on I will either try to make patrol there or begin applying to another agency down the road. For now I am happy to get on board and will make the best of this great opportunity.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis650ar15 View Post
^ I completely agree this isn't the fastest route. This is the first and only agency I applied to. For that reason I am going to take the position and learn as much as I can. If I decide I want to continue on I will either try to make patrol there or begin applying to another agency down the road. For now I am happy to get on board and will make the best of this great opportunity.

That’s it, make the most of it. Do well, keep your nose clean, and CalPers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2018, 8:42 AM

Santa Clara is nice. Congratulations

Reputation starts in the academy. You don’t have to be first but you definitely don’t want to be last. Phase training will be harder than the academy.
STC academy hrs don’t transfer to POST academy so stay motivated and after you pass probation apply to go Patrol. You will have to go through a new background check and if accepted, attend a 6 month POST academy. After that, phase training again.

It’s a long road but hundreds of others have done it.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2018, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with detentions/corrections!

1. Plenty of overtime
2. You get off on time - No "rape victim at hospital" call an hour before shift ends, no missing juvenile call, 30 minutes before end of shift, no homicide calls an hour before end of shift, etc.
3. When it rains, you are dry
4. When it's hot, you are in an air conditioned building
5. No court on your days off or in the middle of your vacation

From an academic standpoint, you get a chance to see people from the perspective nobody else sees them.

Out of a 32 year career, I did 8 of those years in detentions and I don't regret a day of it.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer

Last edited by diverwcw; 11-19-2018 at 4:53 PM..
Old 11-19-2018, 4:44 PM

Thanks guys to all who responded. All I have left for a start date is my medical clearance next week. To those that have worked in corrections, what was the schedule like? I know agencies differ but is it most common to do 5 day work week or patrol like hours of 3 12's? I don't want to keep bugging my agency with questions before I get a start date.
Old 11-19-2018, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

My time in the jail consisted of 12.5 hour days:

One of the two:

5 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, 5 days off

5 days on, 5 days off, 2 days on, 2 days off

One of the things I forgot to mention in my previous post is many departments are developing a full career path for detentions deputies; transportation, classification, investigations, recruiting, risk management, promotion in rank, etc.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer

Last edited by diverwcw; 11-19-2018 at 4:53 PM..
Old 11-19-2018, 5:37 PM

Thanks diver,

I can get behind that schedule. At this point I can honestly say it won't make much difference to me now. I am just glad to start my career. I am looking forward to it very much.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 AM

My department’s jail schedule was 7 12s. 4 on, 3 off, 3 on, 4 off. Or flip flopped depending on which side of the week you worked.
Old 11-20-2018, 6:30 PM

I think I would prefer 4 on and 3 off then 3 on and 4 off, or vice versa.