Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-08-2018, 5:48 PM

Will be getting one for myself as a xmas gift.... to myself.
Old 11-08-2018, 6:23 PM

this will probably be my first and only AR pistol purchase.

and instead of simply installing a gas tube, can we just swap the upper it comes with for another pistol upper w/gas tube?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbit3 View Post
this will probably be my first and only AR pistol purchase.

and instead of simply installing a gas tube, can we just swap the upper it comes with for another pistol upper w/gas tube?
no. cause the magazine release is a normal magazine release.

so if you install a regular pistol upper, without first adding a mag-locking device, you just created an AW pistol.

(at least this is from my understanding from the current laws. maglock then you can turn this to semi-auto pistol)
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
no. cause the magazine release is a normal magazine release.

so if you install a regular pistol upper, without first adding a mag-locking device, you just created an AW pistol.

(at least this is from my understanding from the current laws. maglock then you can turn this to semi-auto pistol)
Correct. All semiauto AR pistols (unless registered as an AW before 7/1/2018) need a fixed magazine. Those registered before 7/1/2018 may have a bullet button or raddlock etc, and those registered before 2000 may have a normal button. Unfortunately, all AR pistols acquired after 2016 need either a fixed mag or a manually operated action. Those are the only two options, there is no third option.
For those interested, Protohyp just did a 2.5 hour video comparison of CA maglocks today, link in another thread (sorry, using my phone so can't link to it right now)

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-08-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 8:52 AM

ok thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-09-2018, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
i know you can't make it featureless, i stated that i will either use FA's own maglock, or use the kingpin/hyperswitch setup. (or after protohyp puts his testing video out, one of the other ones depending on what i feel comfortable with).

then i will install the gas tube.
in that case, why do you think you have to pin/weld a muzzle device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 11-09-2018, 9:45 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
in that case, why do you think you have to pin/weld a muzzle device?
Probably for the same reason that I, too, sometimes forget what I can or can't do in this state - an endless bureaucracy of intentionally confusing and nonsensical laws.

Threaded barrels are good to go on fixed-mag pistols.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:00 AM

As someone who is new to configuring a firearm with aftermarket parts beyond the average custom slide for a glock, what would someone recommend for a semi-auto upper with a fixed-mag ? People are mentioning this is the best route to go to keep it legal as well as avoid any drilling.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Excuse the self promotion, but our Drop-in Fixed Magazine is one of the least expensive ways to comply. It also allows for super easy removal in case you travel out of state and want to use a regular 30 round magazine. In state, it works well with the Mean Arms or Bear Flag loaders.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
ONLINE STORE: http://franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the CSW, the Release Firing System, the Binary Firing System, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine, and the New Rostered CA7 Pistol!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Probably for the same reason that I, too, sometimes forget what I can or can't do in this state - an endless bureaucracy of intentionally confusing and nonsensical laws.

Threaded barrels are good to go on fixed-mag pistols.
this.

i was thinking of "pistol" and how threaded barrel is no go for pistols. but i forget that since Ar pistol have a maglock, that doesn't apply.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:19 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAIsStrict View Post
As someone who is new to configuring a firearm with aftermarket parts beyond the average custom slide for a glock, what would someone recommend for a semi-auto upper with a fixed-mag ? People are mentioning this is the best route to go to keep it legal as well as avoid any drilling.
Normally it would be the lower which has the system for a fixed magazine in it. You wouldn't normally need to change anything with the upper.

As for a recommendation, see Protohyp's video he just put out yesterday on Youtube, where he does an in-depth review of the pros and cons of many of the available systems.

As Franklin said above, their DFM magazine is probably the easiest way to get a fixed magazine, it takes about 3 seconds to install it. Then, if you want to get into more complex systems, there are at least a dozen other options available, and everyone you ask will recommend different things, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinarmory View Post
Excuse the self promotion
Hey, it's your thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Excuse the self promotion, but our Drop-in Fixed Magazine is one of the least expensive ways to comply. It also allows for super easy removal in case you travel out of state and want to use a regular 30 round magazine. In state, it works well with the Mean Arms or Bear Flag loaders.
yes. i am waffling between using your mag locking setup, or using a different one.

i like yours b/c of the low cost, and simplicity. just pop open the action and insert and i'm done. no tools needed. and just need a rear pin that is extended to make it easier to open.

With other systems, i can use my magazines i already have. especially with some of the other setups where it is a easy push button on the rear takedown pin to open the action (and it captures the upper so it doesn't swing all the way), then the magazine release is used like normal. if i ever take a training class in state, i can do reload drills almost like normal with the other systems.

so it will come down to, do i see myself using your CA7 as a viable tool for home defense or will it be a range toy/novelty? i can always determine that myself after i buy the gun and get a feel for using it.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Yeah, there does appear to be a lot more compliance options this go around. Gotta love capitalism!

We also donate to the CRPA Foundation for every DFM sold. The foundation earmarks these funds for litigation against illegal actions of the state. We have contributed over $30,000 so far!

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the CSW, the Release Firing System, the Binary Firing System, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine, and the New Rostered CA7 Pistol!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:35 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
We have contributed over $30,000 so far!
$30,000 just from DFM sales?!? Or that includes unrelated donations from you guys? If that's just from DFM sales, then dang, you guys have sold a ton of DFMs!

Thank you for everything you do for us in this state!

Old 11-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
$30,000 just from DFM sales?!? Or that includes unrelated donations from you guys? If that's just from DFM sales, then dang, you guys have sold a ton of DFMs!

Thank you for everything you do for us in this state!
Just from DFM sales.

I donate a little more to CRPA on my personal side.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-09-2018, 5:49 PM

Franklin Armory, please help explain this:

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...ranklin+Armory

When you scroll down, the picture shows the "pistol" submitted to CA DOJ for approval shows a lower with no mag well at all, that means it does not even have an internal magazine. This is very different from the picture on your website. It's truly single shot in nature. To load this pistol you have to manually lock the bolt to the rear, place one round through ejection port, close the bolt and fire one round, than manually eject it.

The picture shows a very different firearm than the one on your website and the information listed on your website certainly does not conform to the picture on CA DOJ Roster website. I'd like to know what pistol would be shipped to us if we actually ordered one? If the one you shipped is truly semi-auto different from the submitted sample, what legal justification did you use to do that? We need to know to avoid legal ramifications.

ETA: My mistake. Look like the pistol in this post is new model and different from the picture. It also appears that CA DOJ added verbiage on the roster website basically saying if you put a regular pistol upper to enable semi-auto function they will charge you with manufacturing.
NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer. Any question, please feel free to sent e-mail to ontargetrange@sbcglobal.net or visit our forum on Calguns under vendor section!

Last edited by CWM4A1; 11-09-2018 at 6:11 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 6:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
Franklin Armory, please help explain this:

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...ranklin+Armory

When you scroll down, the picture shows the "pistol" submitted to CA DOJ for approval shows a lower with no mag well at all, that means it does not even have an internal magazine. This is very different from the picture on your website. It's truly single shot in nature. To load this pistol you have to manually lock the bolt to the rear, place one round through ejection port, close the bolt and fire one round, than manually eject it.

The picture shows a very different firearm than the one on your website and the information listed on your website certainly does not conform to the picture on CA DOJ Roster website. I'd like to know what pistol would be shipped to us if we actually ordered one? If the one you shipped is truly semi-auto different from the submitted sample, what legal justification did you use to do that? We need to know to avoid legal ramifications.

ETA: My mistake. Look like the pistol in this post is new model and different from the picture. It also appears that CA DOJ added verbiage on the roster website basically saying if you put a regular pistol upper to enable semi-auto function they will charge you with manufacturing.
Actually that verbiage relates to single shot pistols like our prior se-ssp. The new pistol is a bolt action repeater.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-09-2018, 9:33 PM

I decided to call my LGS (northern california) to see if they would have any CA7 in stock or take orders and they mentioned that they will not be touching this gun or doing any sort of FFL transfers for it. I didn't get to ask why but he seemed pretty set on not wanting anything to do with this thing, even though its on the roster.

Caught me by surprise but oh well.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I decided to call my LGS (northern california) to see if they would have any CA7 in stock or take orders and they mentioned that they will not be touching this gun or doing any sort of FFL transfers for it. I didn't get to ask why but he seemed pretty set on not wanting anything to do with this thing, even though its on the roster.

The dealer just doesn't understand that the state has blessed it.

Our reps were in Sacramento this week visiting various gun shops. The response was overwhelmingly positive. There was even a CADOJ rep at one store. She checked it out and mentioned she was informed recently that it was going on the roster.

Later I was told that the store owner placed an order.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 PM

Well....I want one.... Thanks Franklin Armory

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 7:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Not unique to your experience.

We hear occasional stories about some northern Calif ffl's not being the sharpest tools in the shed.

Try another shop/ ffl.

Edit: Name the ffl so other calgunners would know not to go there for the new gun on roster.

Last edited by heidad01; 11-10-2018 at 7:29 AM..
Old 11-10-2018, 9:49 AM

I really have no interest in AR Pistols, but feel like I should buy one of these just on principal. Way to go Franklin Armory!

PS...it would be nice to see a video once they are out there. I understand how they work, but have become a media whore.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by ECVMatt; 11-10-2018 at 9:50 AM.. Reason: Vid Request
Old 11-10-2018, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
Not unique to your experience.

We hear occasional stories about some northern Calif ffl's not being the sharpest tools in the shed.

Try another shop/ ffl.

Edit: Name the ffl so other calgunners would know not to go there for the new gun on roster.
The shop was located in San Bruno, CA

Last edited by CAIsStrict; 11-10-2018 at 9:14 PM..
Old 11-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The dealer just doesn't understand that the state has blessed it.

Our reps were in Sacramento this week visiting various gun shops. The response was overwhelmingly positive. There was even a CADOJ rep at one store. She checked it out and mentioned she was informed recently that it was going on the roster.

Later I was told that the store owner placed an order.
Also, if I am correct, the gun is only on the roster until 1/1/2019? Meaning, it can be removed within the next 3 months? I was planning to purchase it early next year, but I don't want to lose the opportunity if it expires on 1/1/2019 and might not have a chance of coming back.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Also, if I am correct, the gun is only on the roster until 1/1/2019? Meaning, it can be removed within the next 3 months? I was planning to purchase it early next year, but I don't want to lose the opportunity if it expires on 1/1/2019 and might not have a chance of coming back.
Once it's on the roster, it stays on the roster for as long as the manufacturer remembers to keep paying the annual fee to keep it on there. DOJ won't change their mind and remove it just because they feel like it.

Believe me, if DOJ could prevent this gun from being on the roster, they would've. Fortunately for us, it wasn't optional for DOJ to approve it. And it isn't optional for them to keep it there.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Once it's on the roster, it stays on the roster for as long as the manufacturer remembers to keep paying the annual fee to keep it on there. DOJ won't change their mind and remove it just because they feel like it.

Believe me, if DOJ could prevent this gun from being on the roster, they would've. Fortunately for us, it wasn't optional for DOJ to approve it. And it isn't optional for them to keep it there.
Ahh, so the date on https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns with the exp date saying 1/1/19 is for the renewal process? Just wanted to make sure I have a chance of getting one of these as I would love an AR pistol, just didn't want to go the 80% route.

thanks for the information though. As long as Franklin keep paying the renewal fee, it will stay up?
Old 11-10-2018, 10:52 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Ahh, so the date on https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns with the exp date saying 1/1/19 is for the renewal process? Just wanted to make sure I have a chance of getting one of these as I would love an AR pistol, just didn't want to go the 80% route.

thanks for the information though. As long as Franklin keep paying the renewal fee, it will stay up?
That is correct.

At the end of every year, there are always a bunch of people who panic about roster guns expiring on 1/1. But it's really just the due date for the manufacturer to pay their annual extortion fee to keep it on the roster for another year. The only time handguns fall off the roster is if the manufacturer forgets to, or chooses not to, pay their annual extortion fee.

And I also believe that manufacturers can even reinstate roster status for a previously rostered handgun after it gets delisted, without having to get tested again or meeting the new handgun requirements (microstamping etc). That happened with the Beretta PX4 last year - Beretta didn't pay the fee on time, and it fell off the roster, and people even started selling their PX4's for 2x MSRP in the marketplace like they do for other off-roster guns, but then a month or two later beretta paid their fee and it was back on. So, effectively, the only time a handgun falls off the roster is when a manufacturer lets it fall off intentionally.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-10-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Old 11-10-2018, 1:24 PM

Has anyone ordered? Are they going for full retail?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
Any dealers in the Northern CA, SF Bay Area region?
I know that you can pre-order via Nor Cal Gun Vault in Rocklin. They have an order in with Franklin Armory. If you do, please tell them Shawn sent you over. They know who I am. I believe they have 6 still remaining as of today.
Old 11-10-2018, 6:04 PM

My DOJ rep says its good to go so if anyone needs a transfer Im DROSing these no problem...FA has my FFl on file already.
Old 11-10-2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
That is correct.

At the end of every year, there are always a bunch of people who panic about roster guns expiring on 1/1. But it's really just the due date for the manufacturer to pay their annual extortion fee to keep it on the roster for another year. The only time handguns fall off the roster is if the manufacturer forgets to, or chooses not to, pay their annual extortion fee.

And I also believe that manufacturers can even reinstate roster status for a previously rostered handgun after it gets delisted, without having to get tested again or meeting the new handgun requirements (microstamping etc). That happened with the Beretta PX4 last year - Beretta didn't pay the fee on time, and it fell off the roster, and people even started selling their PX4's for 2x MSRP in the marketplace like they do for other off-roster guns, but then a month or two later beretta paid their fee and it was back on. So, effectively, the only time a handgun falls off the roster is when a manufacturer lets it fall off intentionally.

so what is the chance of Walter getting the PPQ or
HK the VP9 or
Ruger the RS1911 on the Roster ?

Any chance at all...
Old 11-10-2018, 6:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
so what is the chance of Walter getting the PPQ or
HK the VP9 or
Ruger the RS1911 on the Roster ?

Any chance at all...
Oh, that will be less than a zero chance.
Old 11-10-2018, 6:48 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
Oh, that will be less than a zero chance.
Yep. There may be some time window they have to renew it late within before it expires and disappears completely, I'm not really sure. At any rate, if those aren't back on the roster by now, they likely aren't going to.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:02 AM

Any other calibers planned for this?

I know of course I can buy another caliber upper and pop it on(which I may just go ahead and do-and leave the 556 upper as bolt action).

But the more I read about the blast/concussion/fireball of 556 out of a 7.5 barrel,the more I think Id prefer a cartridge designed for a short barrel like
300 Blackout.

9mm?
Meh....been there done that....but I think they would sell so I suppose that is another viable option.

Old 11-12-2018, 8:59 AM

would the blast/concussion be different or more manageable if the upper was swapped for a 10.5"?? or at that point does the cost outweigh the benefits?
Old 11-12-2018, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbit3 View Post
would the blast/concussion be different or more manageable if the upper was swapped for a 10.5"?? or at that point does the cost outweigh the benefits?
just swap the flash hider out for a linear comp. solves the blast problem.

not sure if the concussion problem will be solved with this solution thought.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We make a muzzled device called the Triumvir. It works very well as a comp, flash hider, and linear comp. The NTOA just approved it as well.
https://www.franklinarmory.com/produ...-muzzle-device

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
Old 11-12-2018, 10:44 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
We make a muzzled device called the Triumvir. It works very well as a comp, flash hider, and linear comp. The NTOA just approved it as well.
https://www.franklinarmory.com/produ...-muzzle-device
That looks awesome, is there a a video anywhere that shows it in action?

ETA: I just found some footage of night shooting (and the flash suppression looks impressive), but I'm hoping I can see video that shows the muzzle-rise.

Also, what is the length, compared to say a standard A2 birdcage?

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-12-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Old 11-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
That looks awesome, is there a a video anywhere that shows it in action?

ETA: I just found some footage of night shooting (and the flash suppression looks impressive), but I'm hoping I can see video that shows the muzzle-rise.

Also, what is the length, compared to say a standard A2 birdcage?
It is designed to be used with 14.5" barrels, so I believe it extends the length 1.6" and has an overall length of 2.25" or so.

Here is a reviewer from Media Day at the Range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2K97yenDzE
He is shooting Reformation with a Binary trigger. He starts shooting at around 45 seconds. He switches to Binary mode to really show the effectiveness.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com