Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-19-2020, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Pepper spray expiry... hot car, vs in home too...

Have some Mace pepper guns at the ready w/expiry last month, and a can of Sabre pepper spray by the door w/expiry of ?/2017.

My Pepper Gun is stored in the car, which can get hot in the summer, but I chanced it over-pressuring and going off in the car in said summer by leaving it there, but at the ready. The can by the front door is kept cool and the house never gets over 80 degrees F.

I assume that it could go either way, but since it is a sealed can in both cases, and I would eat expired canned goods w/out worry in most cases, is it really an issue in either, immediately, as something is better than nothing?

I am going on a work trip, and with all the BS violence going on I'd like to take the pepper gun with me, even though it just expired. Refills and replacement pepper guns will not arrive in time for the trip, as almost everyone was out of the guns and refills (w/out DEEP Gargling web site that might still have stock due to the panic going on) when I started preparing for the trip.

Please drop some science on this subject, if you know it...
Old 08-01-2020, 5:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Nobody?

Research on my own says don't worry, but I am not sure if I'd trust...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arsKfdy1oY

Last edited by the86d; 08-01-2020 at 6:09 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 5:45 AM
Veteran Member

I use Sabre pepper spray. They’re cheap enough to replace every 4-5 years. ESP since I can’t CCW due to the county I live in.

Q: Are you traveling by air or car? The airlines won’t allow pepper spray in carry on. Not sure about checked.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-01-2020, 6:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
I use Sabre pepper spray. They’re cheap enough to replace every 4-5 years. ESP since I can’t CCW due to the county I live in.

Q: Are you traveling by air or car? The airlines won’t allow pepper spray in carry on. Not sure about checked.
I didn't realize they were expired, as I don't even touch it often.

I just got back from a trip to a free-state, and I ALWAYS check blades and a multi-tool when I travel, in checked luggage, and I checked the Mace Pepper Gun w/out issues, both-ways.

I already have replacement canisters on order, but there is some back-order going on with the panic...

I have that can of expired Sabre by the front door, and will test to see if it is a stream like the Pepper Gun, or if a fog(?) once I get the replacements for that in too.

When the replacement Pepper Gun canisters come in, I am going to test function of the 2 expired cans for pressure-function (stream) too.

Last edited by the86d; 08-01-2020 at 6:32 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 6:31 AM
Calguns Addict

They are kinda like fire extinguishers. If they have any pressure in the can they work and yes they are still spicy after years of storage.

If you're gonna toss them then use them for a training opportunity instead. Like old non-refillable fire extinguishers. Shoot them and learn how to aim them.

I used to test them but no more. Sabre makes a good sealed can of face spice/uv dye.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-01-2020, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
...If you're gonna toss them then use them for a training opportunity instead. Like old non-refillable fire extinguishers. Shoot them and learn how to aim them.

I used to test them but no more. Sabre makes a good sealed can of face spice/uv dye.
Yup, training/testing is the plan. I actually got some of the refills with the water carts, just to re-familiarize the lady with the trigger-pressure required to function the Pepper Gun, AND we'll burn the expired carts to test expired pressure.

I ordered some Sabre Red gel too, one of the front door area, and just some backups for the other hand from the bedroom. However, for some reason the commies at Amazon won't ship the "regular priced" Mace brand to my house, because "ignorant reasons".
Old 08-01-2020, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Amazon... nuff said.

When you test are you planning to do an eye test? There's value in doing so. Just use your finger with a tiny bit smeared on. TINY bit.
You don't need much to get an affect. I've tried it and it really puts a hurt on.

Flushing with water from nose to ear will calm things down so have that ready.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Amazon... nuff said.

When you test are you planning to do an eye test? There's value in doing so. Just use your finger with a tiny bit smeared on. TINY bit.
You don't need much to get an affect. I've tried it and it really puts a hurt on.

Flushing with water from nose to ear will calm things down so have that ready.
Nope! The closest to that I wish to get is when I got a stun-gun and wanted to test function, I laid on the floor and had her hit my butt-cheek with it, and I realized it was effective in wanting to not get hit with it again... hence effective.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

I’ve had a canister in my car for years - never a problem.

I replace when they expire.

Before throwing it in the trash, stand up wind, find a tree branch or something to aim at (I live in a rural area and wouldn’t suggest doing this if you have neighbors around) and shoot out the pepper spray at different distances. I’d put on a pair of disposable gloves, wear eye protection and put on a mask. Good training. Have a hose nearby to wash down the area or yourself if the wind should change directions.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

OOS
SABRE Advanced Compact Pepper Spray with Clip – 3-in-1 Formula (Pepper Spray, CS Tear Gas & UV Marking Dye), Police Strength Self Defense Spray, 10-Foot (3 m) Range, 35 Bursts – Easy Access Belt Clip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VM8UC..._YBBjFbT02JDTT
Old 08-01-2020, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

In stock

SABRE RED Compact Pepper Spray with Clip – Maximum Police Strength OC Spray with UV Dye, 10-foot (3 m) Range, 35 Bursts, Quick Access Belt Clip – Small and Easy to Carry On-the-Go https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009UXH7E..._jDBjFb0YPRRPP
Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

If you've got a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby, they carry the combo kit. Big'un and a little 'un.

One thing about pepper spray is that it's tough to dig out of your pocket (or purse) when it's go time. OWB belt holsters are just plain weird. LOL!
Constantly carrying it while out and about takes up one good hand, so we've started putting it on a belt-clip lanyard. Easy to access while leaving both hands free.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you've got a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby, they carry the combo kit. Big'un and a little 'un.

One thing about pepper spray is that it's tough to dig out of your pocket (or purse) when it's go time. OWB belt holsters are just plain weird. LOL!
Constantly carrying it while out and about takes up one good hand, so we've started putting it on a belt-clip lanyard. Easy to access while leaving both hands free.
Good idea regarding the belt clip lanyard. Couple of options for joggers.

SABRE RED Pepper Gel Spray for Runners – Gel is Safer – Maximum Police Strength OC Spray, Adjustable Hand Strap for Quick Access while Running – Optional Clip-on 120dB Personal Alarm w/LED Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002E6RERU..._zXBjFbHHJVFYC

Guard Dog Instafire Xtreme Self Defense Pepper Spray for Running and Jogging with Knuckle Defense - Fits in Hand - Sweatproof - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C7FVKZY..._7XBjFb6FNHXZM
Old 08-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Also found this:

Wrist Saver Pepper Spray for Runners w/Lightweight Wristband, LED Light, ID Card & Reflective Material - Maximum Police Strength OC Spray 12ft Range - Dog Repellent & Deterrent for Joggers & Walkers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IJ7MAK..._w3BjFbW7M3RWG
Old 08-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

I was worried about heat in car too, probably not an issue, I only leave it in there during the day when I'm at work, I put it and some other items in a small velcro top lunch bag with some blue ice, I usually bring my own lunch so this isn't a big change in routine. I can't CCW at work so this bag has my self defense stuff for when I have to stop for gas or some other quick thing going to and from work. Again probably paranoid, if it does leak some, at least it's in the bag and won't trash the car. Anyways that's what I came up with.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 08-01-2020, 11:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Secure the can with a single rubber band and wrap it around your belt or ??

A good pull breaks the rubber band and you get ready to spice. Season'em and run like hell is chasing you.

The up wind and down wind is something to be aware of. Blow back is a beach.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
OOS
SABRE Advanced Compact Pepper Spray with Clip – 3-in-1 Formula (Pepper Spray, CS Tear Gas & UV Marking Dye), Police Strength Self Defense Spray, 10-Foot (3 m) Range, 35 Bursts – Easy Access Belt Clip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VM8UC..._YBBjFbT02JDTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
In stock

SABRE RED Compact Pepper Spray with Clip – Maximum Police Strength OC Spray with UV Dye, 10-foot (3 m) Range, 35 Bursts, Quick Access Belt Clip – Small and Easy to Carry On-the-Go https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009UXH7E..._jDBjFb0YPRRPP
THAT is one of the models I got... Same as the one by the front door, only non-expired...
Old 08-01-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Have some Mace pepper guns at the ready w/expiry last month, and a can of Sabre pepper spray by the door w/expiry of ?/2017.
[...]

I am going on a work trip, and with all the BS violence going on I'd like to take the pepper gun with me, even though it just expired. Refills and replacement pepper guns will not arrive in time for the trip, as almost everyone was out of the guns and refills (w/out DEEP Gargling web site that might still have stock due to the panic going on) when I started preparing for the trip.

Please drop some science on this subject, if you know it...
New pepper spray is not necessarily real expensive. Those POM sprays are about $12 each, IIRC.

I reached out to the company that made the Kimber pepper blasters, ‘cause those are expensive and I had a couple that were past expiry. They really didn’t want to guarantee potency beyond expiry, saying, in effect, the only way to find out is to test-fire. I’d have to dig around to find the email— not convenient right now— but from what I recall they more or less said the OC compounds are not stable and do degrade, but how fast/how much is not quantified.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:49 PM

Dibs
Old 08-01-2020, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
New pepper spray is not necessarily real expensive. Those POM sprays are about $12 each, IIRC.

I reached out to the company that made the Kimber pepper blasters, ‘cause those are expensive and I had a couple that were past expiry. They really didn’t want to guarantee potency beyond expiry, saying, in effect, the only way to find out is to test-fire. I’d have to dig around to find the email— not convenient right now— but from what I recall they more or less said the OC compounds are not stable and do degrade, but how fast/how much is not quantified.
Yes, but try finding the creme-de-la-creme: Mace Pepper gun right now that ships to Cali, and refills with the test water cart right now for under $69 for the Pepper Gun and under $21 for the OC and Water cart...
I have never heard of POM, nor has anyone I know. For all I know the off-brands might be a Chinese-knockoff water cartridge/can sold as pepper spray...
I'd probably only go with Mace, Sabre (Red), and

I actually added a few to the cart and paid 3 sites that showed them in stock, and willing to ship to Cali (some weird L.A./San Francisco ban, I assume?) is nearly impossible, needless to say, I am getting a refund for all 3, I found a fourth and we are good to go, but they should ship the 4th I am told...

The panic is crazy, even right now:
Imagine not owning a firearm, ammo, or pepper spray. I see why there is a pepper spray shortage right now too. Even Mace's site is out and they sell direct (at RETAIL prices), it seems...

Last edited by the86d; 08-01-2020 at 10:15 PM..
Old 08-05-2020, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Just saw this on Lucky Gunner. Always very detailed and good tests on the ammo page and this is no different.
https://youtu.be/6oK1d_tBp9Q

Interesting comparison and a short blurb about the expiration date.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-06-2020, 5:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just saw this on Lucky Gunner. Always very detailed and good tests on the ammo page and this is no different.
https://youtu.be/6oK1d_tBp9Q

Interesting comparison and a short blurb about the expiration date.
Nice reviews of multiple products, thanks for dropping that video link!
Old 08-08-2020, 6:00 AM
Calguns Addict

So I received the Sabre Red pepper spray cans, so I wanted to test the function of the front door can that expired 2017, still seemed to work okay, and I pit a drop of the last of it on the tip of my tongue and it was still REALLY HOT, like habanero hot. Heat lasted on my tongue for like 20 minutes, even after washing my tongue off with the spray nozzle of the hose 3x... It was like a foam, rather than a liquid-stream (but I did give it a bit of a shake, pre-test), and I would NOT want to get hit with even 3 year expired Sabre Red gel! What is interesting is that the expired one was 70 grams, and the new one that looks identical, but is 61.5 grams...

I have yet to receive the Mace Pepper Gun Canisters, but will try the old one that just expired when the replacements arrive.