Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default Military orders and ID enough?

Currently stationed in CA on AD. I’ve purchased many firearms over the past couple years, and typically only need mil ID and orders. Every now and then a shop will want to see my out of state DL.. whatever..

Anyways, with my most recent transaction at a new shop, I was told I need a utility bill with my name and address.. I understand this is common practice for CA residents to prove residency, but is it now required for military as well?

Gun shop was very friendly and luckily they worked with me since I didn’t have anything on me, so I’m not trying to cause them any issues. Just wondering is all. Even if it isn’t required, I don’t mind showing extra proof, I just have to remember to bring it with me.
Old 10-24-2019, 1:36 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

DOJ's FAQ
Quote:
What identification is required to purchase a firearm?

Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver license or a valid California identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-24-2019, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

how would you provide utility bills if you live on base? Orders and ID were always enough when I was Active.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 10-24-2019, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
how would you provide utility bills if you live on base? Orders and ID were always enough when I was Active.
I don’t live on base, but my orders showing I’m stationed in CA should be enough. I just wondered if maybe the regulations changed recently..
Old 10-26-2019, 11:21 AM

Orders and ID are enough. They take a number off your orders.

Military Veteran
Old 10-29-2019, 3:07 AM

Orders and ID are enough. If they ask for anything else they are either misinformed or are not familiar with military purchasers so just have patience. Depending where you are stationed, I would say gun stores near large bases are usually gtg. If you are in SoCal, San Diego/OC gun stores have large selections and do a lot of military purchases...never had a problem.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 PM

I would not want them having a copy of my orders. Nope.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:06 PM

Order and ID should be enough.
Old 11-28-2019, 4:09 PM

Unless it's a pistol then a second proof of residence in needed. You can call doj and ask them.
Old 11-28-2019, 4:25 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsefan View Post
Unless it's a pistol then a second proof of residence in needed. You can call doj and ask them.
No, that's not right. One never needs a 'second' anything.

CA law requires 2 things for handgun purchases -
proof of identity and age, ordinarily a CA DL and
proof of residency, one of the things CADOJ says it likes.

(Well, 3 things - Firearms Safety Certificate, too)

But for .mil buyers, mil-id and PCS orders to CA suffice for residency.
Quote:

(a) No handgun may be delivered unless the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents documentation indicating that the person is a California resident.

(b) Satisfactory documentation shall include a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed, or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within this state, or other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice.

(c) The firearms dealer shall retain a photocopy of the documentation as proof of compliance with this requirement.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-28-2019 at 4:40 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <IXOYE>< View Post
I would not want them having a copy of my orders. Nope.
Why? Every military member who buys a firearm has to give a copy of their orders unless they are actual residents of the state they are stationed in. They don’teven have that much personal info on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsefan View Post
I’ve only had one shop ask me for a second form of ID after 10+ transactions. PPT’d a lever action today, military ID and orders was all I provided.