Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-28-2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
I suspect folks that claim to carry multiple mags probably don't carry on body often (or at all) in a civilian setting.
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I carry everyday with a spare mag on body. I have friends who do the same.

I do realize that by the numbers you will win the lottery before you have to use the spare mag.
Old 11-29-2019, 9:31 AM

Why do you carry? In case you need it.

Why carry a spare mag? .......um.... In case you need it.

Steve

EDC is full size 1911 - would like to carry two spares, but I must confess I only carry 1 (side bolsters of car seat make two difficult).
Old 11-29-2019, 7:47 PM

I always carry two speed loaders on my belt with my CCW.

Last edited by boattail; 11-30-2019 at 7:58 AM..
Old 11-30-2019, 10:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

People have said they carry the extra mag in case of malfunction. Why type of malfunction would an extra magazine rectify other than a malfunction of the magazine? I don't have a ton of experience, but I have never heard of the magazine itself failing. is that a thing?

Kate
Old 11-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
People have said they carry the extra mag in case of malfunction. Why type of malfunction would an extra magazine rectify other than a malfunction of the magazine? I don't have a ton of experience, but I have never heard of the magazine itself failing. is that a thing?

Kate
Yes, it is.

See, for example, https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...arance-drills/
Quote:
Reliable semi-automatic operation depends not only upon the gun working correctly, but also upon properly functioning magazines to feed the firearm, ammunition loaded within the range of pressure levels required to operate the action and loads that feature the correct length and bullet profile to feed smoothly from magazine to chamber. If any leg of that gun/magazine/ammunition triad fails, a malfunction can occur and temporarily stop the operation.
Old 12-01-2019, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post

Kate
The malfunction that most people carry an extra magazine for would be a double feed as you have to take the magazine out of the gun to clear it and at that point you would put the fresh magazine in. The main issue with that is if you have time to clear a double feed then you need to be getting away and not standing there clearing a double feed. You could however be in a position where you have nowhere to go.
Old 12-01-2019, 9:44 AM

2 is 1. 1 is none. Carry 2.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

I always carry a spare mag or speed loader. Don’t most all cars have a spare tire? It’s called redundant safety equipment. It’s there just in case one needs it.
Same with a spare reload. Dress for the CCW is how I live in todays world. My .02 cents.
Old 12-01-2019, 3:31 PM

I get all the good points about a spare magazine. My approach is not to carry a spare mag. I feel my CCW is my back-up. Situational awareness, means to escape or not engage, are the first line of my self defense protocol. If those don't work, then yes my CCW is the back-up plan. I don't carry a shotgun or rifle either regardless of the laws.
Old 12-01-2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
I get all the good points about a spare magazine. My approach is not to carry a spare mag. I feel my CCW is my back-up. Situational awareness, means to escape or not engage, are the first line of my self defense protocol. If those don't work, then yes my CCW is the back-up plan. I don't carry a shotgun or rifle either regardless of the laws.
I think we all agree with this, but what if you have to engage multiple assailants and/or do encounter (most likely) a mag malfunction. What’s Plan C? Since you already tried retreating and you have engaged, should your assailant still pursue after you made one or two shots, then?
Old 12-01-2019, 6:53 PM

My Sig p365 holds 12 + 1 so basic day-to-day I only carried that however if I'm going to be gone all day or out of town I will carry two extra mags since my mag holster holds two. If I need to use 37 rounds I'm probably having a very bad day.
Old 12-01-2019, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
I think we all agree with this, but what if you have to engage multiple assailants and/or do encounter (most likely) a mag malfunction. What’s Plan C? Since you already tried retreating and you have engaged, should your assailant still pursue after you made one or two shots, then?
^^^Agreed.

Now I don’t carry spare mag(s) for a mag malfunction per se (which is highly unlikely, but alas possible). I carry extra bullets to shoot multiple bad guys hell bent on attacking me.

Extra ammo is akin to carrying a bigger hammer for the job.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-03-2019, 12:59 PM

I carry my shield and a spare magazine 99 percent of the time. I have a tulster mag carrier but often slide the extra in my front pocket. I practice this way at the range. It's actually pretty quick. I want the rounds and the malfunction clearing tool.
Old 12-03-2019, 3:31 PM

Nope. I carry 9 rounds in my Shield and that's it. Maybe I'll consider it if going into a real sketchy area.
Old 12-03-2019, 6:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Nope. I carry 9 rounds in my Shield and that's it. Maybe I'll consider it if going into a real sketchy area.
Why would you go someplace you consider 'sketchy'?

At least, if it were voluntary - I consider a lot of parking structures to be sketchy, but people gotta work and gotta park their cars, so some venturing into the sketchy can be required.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-04-2019, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

I always find it interesting when someone says they only carry an extra mag when they go to wherever. I don't think anyone is able to pick the time or place when they will need to use their defensive firearm, or when and if you are going to experience a malfunction.

Yeah there are places that may be worse than others, but at the same time there are better softer unprepared targets for the criminal element outside of those areas. High end shopping centers seem to be a favorite target this time of year.

I think most of us would agree that if the unthinkable were to happen we would want more than we need, rather than just enough. I tend to think of it like putting gas in the truck, do I fill it, or just put enough to get me there and back?
Old 12-04-2019, 9:55 AM

Legal CCW guy for more than 10 years here. I would like to yes always, but I have to admit I don't always, it kinda depends on risk of where I am what I am doing. Probability of ever needing a firearm is pretty darn low to start with even here in the lovely Bay Area, maybe higher than most but low. Next most civilian type shooting incidents are about 3 rounds, statistically speaking. The typical incident is a very short time span, a few seconds, time to re-load or clearing bad mag again further reduces odds of actually utilizing the spare mag. Most average citizens are not ever going to be engaging multi bad guys or purposely place themselves in harms way like LEOs. My thinking is training, using a very dependable, well maintained weapon, shooting regularly, practice access "draw", attending professional training are all far and away more likely to help you in the "gravest extreme". That being said, options are always a good thing but lets face it carrying and caring for more stuff on your person is a PITA. What do I carry? Japanese Nambu with vintage ammo

Just teasing. I resisted the glock coolaid for years but have to admit, they do go bang. As a percent I carry a spare on my person about 60% of time. I have spare mags in vehicle, carefully tucked away.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 12-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Anywhere can become "sketchy".

I don't think anyone ever got out of a gunfight alive regretted bringing more ammo. An extra Shield mag is the size of a pocket knife.

I'm looking at a floorplate with a clip for my weak side pocket.