Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:32 AM

Default Tell me about your youth sized big game rifle

My daughter is 6 and has been shooting a 22 since she was 4. Eventually she is going to need a big game rifle. One that fits her and won’t kick beyond her capability. I want her to be proficient with a caliber capable of killing hogs and deer years before she actually hunts.

So tell me, what youth sized rifles are you using? What caliber and model is it? What do you like about it and what don’t you like about it? Thanks for your input.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:56 AM

Default Oldie but a goodie

We have some friends that live on the Hamakua Coast of Hawaii (Big Isle). His wife and kids hunt local hogs year around with a good ole' M1 Carbine.

The pigs are generally smaller than you have down there though so YMMV.

Regards,
Mike
Old 06-19-2021, 5:55 AM

I picked up a cva break barrel 243 that is compact but with a bull barrel so about the same weight as a standard bolt gun . It shoots great and I put a cheap scope on it … headed to MT for thanksgiving to let the kids stack whitetails they can hunt @10 there
Fwiw. I think the ruger m77 in 357 could be a great kids gun inside 150yd
Old 06-22-2021, 4:55 PM
CGSSA Associate

TC contender not cheap but lots of options to make a small rifle with lots of options as she grows.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

I had a Rem Model 660 in .243 with a 20 inch barrel for my son that I found a used stock in so-so condition for. I cut it down and refinished the stock, keeping the original for my son after he grew. Barrel length and weight can be critical for smaller shooters. You don't want them leaning back to counteract the weight of the barrel as the recoil is then intensified or exaggerated. You want them able to lean into the gun, not away from it.

If you reload, you can tailor some lower recoil rounds. Remington used to make some reduced recoil rounds and Hornady still does, I think.
Old 07-21-2021, 6:12 AM
Veteran Member

Its .243.

Psalm 1
Old 07-21-2021, 7:33 AM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have an old Parker-Hale varmint in .243 that I cut down to a compact size. I can't imagine a 6 year old being comfortable using it.

As mentioned above, an M1 carbine or .357 might be a better transition for a little kid.
Old 07-21-2021, 7:50 AM
Calguns Addict

1st off, congrats on starting her early. I did this also, with no regrets.

That said, even though my daughter did shoot 12 ga very early on (bunker back up instead of shoulder, big smiles from her)

It wasn't till she was 10, when she received her first 22 over 20ga, then when she was ready for deer, sold that, got a 3030 over 20ga mag.

Still has that today, & loves that gun. Tells everyone all about it, while shooting circles around many of the boys

I will say this, what ever you you get her. Buy a wood (not plastic) stock, she will treasure it always, & remember you fondly every time she see it.
Old 07-21-2021, 8:09 AM

I have a Savage Axis II in a Boyd's At One stock. Originally intended as a 1000 yards for less than $1000 rifle and something my petite wife would enjoy that's good for large game. I intend to use it for the kids as well. I like being able to adjust the stock to my liking too since I'm a bigger guy.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 8:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i have to agree with 243, I got a Win 70 featherweight in my mid 20's and it is my favorite rifle. Just enough recoil to break in a youngster to center fire recoil but won't scare them. Definately a shoot all day cartridge. I use it for varmints and deer, it's also my back up rifle for all out of state hunting, I have that much confidence in the caliber.
Old 07-23-2021, 2:17 PM

GA Precision makes a youth rifle if you have $3890 to spend!

https://www.gaprecision.net/custom-p...uth-model.html