Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-23-2020, 8:36 AM

Default CCW Card is HUGE

Just picked up my CCW card this morning!

The first thing I noticed was how huge the card is. It's a folded piece of paper, laminated - measuring 4.25 x 3 inches - quite a bit larger than your typical driver's license or credit card.

For reference, other cards you put in your wallet are about 3.5 x 2 inches.

I think I can cut some of the extra lamination and border paper off, but even if trimmed right up to where the actual printed information starts on the permit, it looks like it will be larger than a normal card you'd carry in your wallet. I'm not sure how I can fit it in my wallet... or any wallet.

I'm in Sacramento County, in case other counties have different formats.

How are you guys carrying your permit?

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 06-23-2020 at 8:44 AM..
Old 06-23-2020, 8:53 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRefuge View Post

The first thing I noticed was how huge the card is. It's a folded piece of paper, laminated - measuring 4.25 x 3 inches - quite a bit larger than your typical driver's license or credit card.

For reference, other cards you put in your wallet are about 3.5 x 2 inches.

I think I can cut some of the extra lamination and border paper off, but even if trimmed right up to where the actual printed information starts on the permit, it looks like it will be larger than a normal card you'd carry in your wallet. I'm not sure how I can fit it in my wallet... or any wallet.

Lots of IAs now issue hard cards that look much like a drivers licence. Mine issues both, but tells us to carry the card and keep the paper in a safe place at home. I'm surprised Sac doesn't issue cards, with as much as they issue
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 06-23-2020, 9:07 AM

That’s a good problem to have.
Old 06-23-2020, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
That’s a good problem to have.
Not if you can't reasonably carry the darn thing!
Old 06-23-2020, 9:24 AM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Lol couldn't help myself.

shuttlecock
Old 06-23-2020, 10:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

The first thing I noticed was how huge the card is.

You've received the standard "rice paper" license approved by the DOJ, the FD 4501.

While the CA PEN 26175(a)(3) allows agencies to use a credit card-style license through an amendment effective 1/1/2017, the DOJ has neither provided the statutory guidance on format, nor have they (to my knowledge) approved any agency's hard-copy. The agencies using these usually call them "identification" or some other term because the license form must be approved by DOJ.

(2015 Discussion, prior to the change to 26175 allowing hard-copy licenses).

Some historical ideas for carrying this folded, laminated thing:

2009: how do you carry your ccw permit?

2010: CCW license wallet - Sacramento County size !

2011: Re-sizing Sacramento's BIG ccw permit?

2014: Sac County CCW Permit is huge

2014: CCW Wallet suggestions? Sacramento

2015: Ridiculously large Sac county CCW permit

Enjoy.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 06-23-2020 at 10:39 AM..
Old 06-23-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
You've received the standard "rice paper" license approved by the DOJ, the FD 4501.

While the CA PEN 26175(a)(3) allows agencies to use a credit card-style license through an amendment effective 1/1/2017, the DOJ has neither provided the statutory guidance on format, nor have they (to my knowledge) approved any agency's hard-copy. The agencies using these usually call them "identification" or some other term because the license form must be approved by DOJ.

(2015 Discussion, prior to the change to 26175 allowing hard-copy licenses).

Some historical ideas for carrying this folded, laminated thing:

2009: how do you carry your ccw permit?

2010: CCW license wallet - Sacramento County size !

2011: Re-sizing Sacramento's BIG ccw permit?

2014: Sac County CCW Permit is huge

2014: CCW Wallet suggestions? Sacramento

2015: Ridiculously large Sac county CCW permit

Enjoy.
Nice!

Some of those threads, people talk about making copies and shrinking to be credit card sized. Is that legal? Are you required to carry the original copy issued from the sheriff, or is a copy allowed so long as all information is readable?

They do have an original ink thumbprint on them, so that got me worried about trying that.

I do think I'll try to trim it down and re-laminate it. Hopefully I can make it fit behind my driver's license. 100% necessary to laminate it - the folks talking about just folding it and carrying it in their wallet are nuts - what happens if your wallet gets wet or goes through the washing machine!? Just asking for trouble.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I do think I'll try to trim it down and re-laminate it. Hopefully I can make it fit behind my driver's license. 100% necessary to laminate it - the folks talking about just folding it and carrying it in their wallet are nuts - what happens if your wallet gets wet or goes through the washing machine!? Just asking for trouble.
Why would it get wet or go through the washing machine? In any case, just be careful.

Just cause its big to carry shouldn’t discourage you from carrying it. Many other from SAC county that have their permits and figured out how to carry it just fine.

Someone will chime in about shrinking the size but like you said, that print makes it difficult.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Why would it get wet or go through the washing machine? In any case, just be careful.
Things happen. Fall off a boat, get sprayed by an automatic sprinkler while watching fireworks on the forth of july (true story), sit on a wet bench, etc.

My wallet has only gone through the washing machine once in my life, but has gotten wet from "life" on many other occasions. Plastic cards don't mind... but folded paper? That's a disaster. Which is why I was surprised some people were just carrying the paper folded up in their wallet. That's crazy!
Old 06-23-2020, 1:47 PM

My IA told us we can trim ours down as long as we don't cut into the print.

Mine is currently 2.5"x3.60" and that is including the laminated border.

It's a little bigger than your driver's license, but it fits in the same size window in my wallet.

IMO, you can just fold it up into a small rectangle and laminate that. The non-adhesive heat type of laminate peels off easily, so if you ever had to present it, just peel it off, and unfold it.

Last edited by Nismo; 06-23-2020 at 1:49 PM..
Old 06-23-2020, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nice!

Some of those threads, people talk about making copies and shrinking to be credit card sized. Is that legal? Are you required to carry the original copy issued from the sheriff, or is a copy allowed so long as all information is readable?

They do have an original ink thumbprint on them, so that got me worried about trying that.

The laminate should extend tightly to the edge of the license. I've trimmed the laminate to within 1/16" of the paper without separating the laminate. Also, round the corners...it's easier to slide it in. Take everything out of your wallet and slide the license in, then put all the other crap back in. The only time I've used my license is as a second document for handgun purchases (and to look at the form to get the number for posts like this, ). Otherwise, it has stayed in the wallet for years.
Old 06-23-2020, 2:03 PM

Considering you get a new one every 2 years, shouldn't have to pull it out too many times, depending how many guns you buy in those 2 years, or get pulled over....
Old 06-23-2020, 2:08 PM

I use these and you gonna be so happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/OneTigris-Tac...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 06-23-2020, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Lots of IAs now issue hard cards that look much like a drivers licence. Mine issues both, but tells us to carry the card and keep the paper in a safe place at home. I'm surprised Sac doesn't issue cards, with as much as they issue.
The Sheriff was getting ready to a few years ago, but the progressives started raising crap about people "roaming the streets with guns", and got the County Sups to start pushing on his budget, claiming the issuance program was costing an additional $250k per year. Fronting costs for the equipment to launch the credit card program wasn't politically wise.

Also, when the law changed in 2017 to actually allow IAs to issue a hard-copy license, Harris never took the steps to create the state template required by the statute. No template; no approval.

The Sheriff said, "Cool, I'll keep issuing paper."
Old 06-23-2020, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
Considering you get a new one every 2 years, shouldn't have to pull it out too many times, depending how many guns you buy in those 2 years, or get pulled over....
Easier to not get pulled over than to not buy new guns.....
Old 06-23-2020, 2:42 PM

Haha if LA county ever was forced to issue they’d probably make it 3x3 feet like a placard Or sandwich board you had to hang around your neck To show the world what a degenerate you are for wanting to protect yourself
Old 06-23-2020, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Trim it to fit in your wallet.

Old 06-23-2020, 3:17 PM
Banned

Of you can conceal your firearm I'm sure you'll find a way to conceal your permit
Old 06-23-2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Not if you can't reasonably carry the darn thing!
1st world problems...

Count your blessings. Many can't get ANY kind of CCW...

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 06-23-2020, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
1st world problems...

What fun... I used that term in 2010.

Someone will be along soon to explain why it is now so easy to get an SD CCW, and IT”S YOUR FAULT for not applying.)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
1st world problems...

We all live in the 1st world... that is actually a FREE 1st world problem.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 AM

Anyone think that the CCW card is so huge so that it’s not concealable? In other words, DOJ wants everyone to know you have a license to carry, and probably that you’re carrying right now.
Old 06-24-2020, 4:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

As few as they issue, why can't they make it driver's license size - like every OTHER state?
Old 06-24-2020, 4:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
Anyone think that the CCW card is so huge so that it’s not concealable? In other words, DOJ wants everyone to know you have a license to carry, and probably that you’re carrying right now.
No. It’s the laminator. You’re supposed to trim off the excess lamination with scissors, down to the edges of the folded paper permit. Then it fits in your wallet like any other card. My county’s IA trimmed it for us (before switching over to Permitium). Apparently, the OP’s IA expects you to do the trimming yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
As few as they issue, why can't they make it driver's license size - like every OTHER state?
Counties that use Permitium issue a hard plastic card that doesn’t require trimming.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 06-24-2020 at 4:36 AM..
Old 06-24-2020, 6:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
No. It’s the laminator. You’re supposed to trim off the excess lamination with scissors, down to the edges of the folded paper permit. Then it fits in your wallet like any other card. My county’s IA trimmed it for us (before switching over to Permitium). Apparently, the OP’s IA expects you to do the trimming yourself.
Or not. The last LTC I got from Sac had a slot punched in it for an ID badge...apparently, someone ordered the wrong laminate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Counties that use Permitium issue a hard plastic card that doesn’t require trimming.
Sac Sheriff uses Permitium and issues the standard rice paper license. Permitium is a private company app which collects data and money (including their fee) and has nothing to do with deciding the form of the license.
Old 06-24-2020, 8:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Make a reduced copy and laminate. Also, take a pic and keep it on your phone, just in case you somehow find yourself without your wallet. While not technically proof...if it happened it sure couldn't hurt.

I keep a "file" on my phone with pics of my ccw my cdl, registration, insurance, etc.
Old 06-24-2020, 9:44 AM

Fits easily in one of these
Old 06-24-2020, 10:28 AM

I'm not trying to have some gigantic wallet. I already bought a much larger wallet and now it barely fits in my pocket lol, but the card still doesn't fit in there quite right.

I don't want the card exposed when I go to pull out my driver's license or a card to pay something. Should be completely out of sight.

Anyway, I emailed the Sac Sheriff CCW folks and will let you guys know what they say. I just asked if it was permissible to trim the actual paper down a bit, just the empty borders where no information is printed, and then relaminate the card myself.

Maybe it's ok... but I'd feel better having it in writing from the IA before I go do it and get myself into trouble with some out of county officer or something.
Old 06-24-2020, 8:11 PM

IA instructed me to trim only the excess, and laminate. IA said that it’s illegal to reduce the document. The card that some IA’s issue is not your license. You must carry your rice paper.
All information from my IA.

Went shopping and found a bigger wallet. It’s a Geoffrey Beene. It’s actually nice, and fits the laminated rice paper in the billfold.
Have fun!
Old 06-25-2020, 6:58 PM

Old 06-25-2020, 7:43 PM

San Joaquin county fits right behind DL. No trimming needed. They also skipped the photo this renewal.
Old 06-25-2020, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

This holds mine...barely. Great wallet too. I would think the card would fit in most traditional wallets albeit in the section where the wallet holds bills. But if you're trying to rock any of the minimalist type wallets, good luck.

It's hard to believe in 2020 they're still using a laminated piece of paper instead of a real card. My guess is that it's probably intentional. Just one more little thing this godforsaken 2a wasteland of a state does to make getting a CCW permit as difficult and annoying as possible.

https://www.bigskinny.net/leather-hybrid-trifold.html

Fighter Pilot
Old 06-26-2020, 8:14 AM

Ya, I was a bit hesitant to put it in the billfold.

I don't want it to have any chance to accidentally fall out, or be seen by anyone.

Regardless, in both my old and new wallets, part of the card sticks out of the billfold. Although they're both trifold's not bifolds, so less room there.

I haven't heard back from the Sheriff CCW people about trimming the actual paper. Maybe they're not sure either, and don't want to say anything in writing? Or maybe they check emails once a week or something lol
Old 06-26-2020, 9:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Made America View Post
Fits easily in one of these
And it comes in PINK!

So, you put your CCW permit in this card wallet, and then toss the whole thing in your purse!

There are few times in the Concealed Carry world where women's clothing and accessories are an advantage, but concealing nearly any sized permit appears to be one of them.

Katie
Old 06-26-2020, 9:07 PM
Professional Cat Herder
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
And it comes in PINK!

So, you put your CCW permit in this card wallet, and then toss the whole thing in your purse!

There are few times in the Concealed Carry world where women's clothing and accessories are an advantage, but concealing nearly any sized permit appears to be one of them.

Katie

Lol. I tend to carry my fiancée’s purse every now and again because it hurts her shoulders... I was told in the bathroom by a guy “hey nice purse” all smugly and in the most accepting and happy voice I went “thanks! It’s a Kate Spade!”
After my ccw, I think I’ll be carrying the purse more often probably... ha.
Old 06-29-2020, 8:33 AM

Official word back from the IA:

Quote:
You can trim the edges but you cannot re-laminate or alter the existing CCW.
I guess that's it then.
Old 06-29-2020, 6:26 PM

My goodness people. Just fold the laminated permit in half and stuff it in your wallet. It's that simple.

The last time I renewed, when the guy took my permit, he asked if I folded it in half. I said it didn't fit in my wallet. I guess I'm the first he seen with a folded permit. After he laminated my new permit, he folded it and ran it back through the laminator to flatten it.
Old 06-29-2020, 7:56 PM

My IA issues a plastic credit card sized permit along with the standard paper license. Funny that the card doesn’t list the permitted guns. I carry the card In my wallet and a photo of the actual license on my phone.
Old 06-29-2020, 8:57 PM

^^^^ Be careful! Don’t be in a situation where you have to produce your license. Neither of what you’re carrying will suffice.

Here’s a link to the wallet I was referring to earlier. I’m terrible with pictures on CG.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Geoffrey...-/162388893775
Old 06-29-2020, 9:01 PM

Dang it, that didn’t work either!