Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-20-2022, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

Default Optic for Bula 19" M21DMR, now a rail issue

So I just placed an order for a Bula 19" M21DMR with National Match barrel. I'm gonna be shooting at 100- 600 yards cause that's the furthest I can shoot here at Angeles shooting range. My buddy has land I can shoot from 25-1000 but I don't think I'm capable of that but we train close to mid with fast target acquisition. I don't know anything about scopes either.

I know I want a variable scope, illuminated, and first focal cause I prefer how it looks. Weight around 20 ounces or lighter preferably. Magnification up to 10 max.

My budget is under $2k and if I can spend less even better. I saw the vortex crossfire 2 on the low end but idk how good they are and saw Nightforce nx8. What are my options?
I saw that Schmidt and bender 1.5-8x26 PM II ShortDot but it's way out of my price range.

Rock out with your Glock out

Last edited by ir0nclash86; 02-05-2022 at 8:56 AM..
Old 01-20-2022, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

What are you using now for 100-600 distance?
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 01-20-2022, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing lol. My other rifles are 556 and I just have 1 moa to 2 moa dots. This Bula rifle is still being made

Last edited by ir0nclash86; 01-20-2022 at 10:12 AM..
Old 01-20-2022, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
Nothing lol. My other rifles are 556 and I just have 1 moa to 2 moa dots. This Bula rifle is still being made
If you're new to scopes then try this for info about options/features regarding scopes.
https://scopesfield.com/choose-the-best-rifle-scope/

Hard to shop for scopes without knowing what you want. You're list of features will evolve.

I can and do use 3x to 10x fixed to get to 600, but I realistically go to 400 on my little home built range. 3x as in ACOG and Leupold 10x fixed for longer than 100 w/308 M700. I just don't/can't do 1000 for my own eye sight limitations. Only one good eye.

My shooting buddies and I are all over the map with what we use, but we try each others stuff out and each form our own opinions. I advise you get behind other scopes at the range if possible and it'll help you decide what works for you and what doesn't.

I can give you suggestions, but that will come from my own subjective prefs. Better to educate yourself and decide. * most new shooters buy too much gun and scope for their realistic end use.

BTW. I shoot M1A Scout and SOCOM 16 out to 400 w/factory sights without problems. I did swap the front sight in the 16 to a narrower one. Factory width was as wide as a fire hydrant.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 01-20-2022 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-20-2022, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

out to 600, i would go with something up to 16x but if you want 10x max, why not a lpvo that you can use like a red dot as well?

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting.../#post-9961242

i don't know anything about this seller, but just an example of under $2k.
i would say if you can spend $2k, you can spend more and get whatever you want.
Old 02-04-2022, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

I bought a Kahles k18i with medium Vortex Pro 1" 30mm rings. When mounted and level, the reticle sits to the left of the bore. I have to max out the windage in order to get it align to the bore. I removed the scope and looked down at the rings and noticed they're shifted to the left slightly. I have calipers on order to measure it. I stuck on an eotech with the same issue it sits to the left. I wanted to check the width of the rail so I used an AR rear BUIS and the rail is too wide to fit. I used another set of vortex rings medium for 1" tube and it's the same issue it sits off center. Tried this junkie gunshow scope and it's the same issue. When I looked at the rings mounted on the rail, the screw and ""claw?" that tightens to the base has a 1/16 gap or so I think from it tightening properly.

I emailed Bula and they said they had reports of issues with AR style mounts and their rails are MIL Standard 1913 with no issues being reported on 1913 mounts. I thought AR style and 1913 were the same though. They're sending me a new rail though just incase.

My question is though, what brand rings then would be good to fit on this rifle with a 1913 rail if you guys know. Maybe the one below or Nightforce ultralight?

https://www.eurooptic.com/Zeiss-30mm...-2309-906.aspx

Old 02-04-2022, 10:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

i prefer one piece mounts so you might consider that as well.
afaik, picatinny, 1913 or "mil-spec" are the same thing.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
i prefer one piece mounts so you might consider that as well.
afaik, picatinny, 1913 or "mil-spec" are the same thing.
Yeah that's what I thought. Thought I might've missed something when they said AR style mounts.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought. Thought I might've missed something when they said AR style mounts.
when i hear people say "AR style" mount, i tend to assume they mean an extended or cantilever mount that shifts the scope forward for more eye relief.
this might be needed for certain scopes when the rail on the rifle is short and doesn't have a lot of room for adjustment, like on your rifle.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Luckily with the kahles and the Bula rail I have enough room to mount the scope comfortably. I would assume even the extended or cantilever mounts would still be made to fit on 1913 rails

Old 02-04-2022, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Luckily with the kahles and the Bula rail I have enough room to mount the scope comfortably. I would assume even the extended or cantilever mounts would still be made to fit on 1913 rails
yup. i don't the rail is the issue unless it was defective.
Old 02-05-2022, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

This part on the rail is out of spec. It's making the bottom ledge that's supposed to be in a 45 degree angle actually a little more steep. So thinking that it's causing the width of the rail to be wider in that the mount can't sit properly even though the width of the rail is .833 in spec.

Last edited by ir0nclash86; 11-01-2022 at 10:32 AM..