Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-12-2022, 8:31 AM

Default How many Calibers Question

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...1769080&page=2

In the General Guns forum there is a robust thread with posts about how many calibers; everything from vast collections to minimalist, but it had me thinking. In SHTF we all know what we physically can carry on foot and I've seen threads about that, but what about in your vehicle. What are you going to bug out with? My case is different. Isn't everyone's, but since my bug out is a sail boat I have weight limits I wouldn't have in a F150 or big diesel truck. My boat would include:

300 WM bolt action and about 40-60 rounds,
Springfield M1A probably close to 500 rounds and several magazines,
Kimber 1911 45 probably 200 rounds,
One of the 16 gauge shotguns and 250 rounds,
Several 22's, one rifle (10/22), a few hand guns and likely a couple of bricks.

Even all that is lot of weight for the boat.
Old 01-12-2022, 9:02 AM

Depends on is it NOW get outa Dodge, or do you have a few hours/days etc before moving out and with what tranportation?

Psalm 1
Old 01-12-2022, 10:20 AM

My guess would be that bugging out by boat would put you in far less contact with people, especially large numbers of people. That, in turn, would negate any disadvantage in the reduced amount of ammo that would be practical to set sail with.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Already bugged out. Now I just prep GHB. One pistol (typically carry BHP - 2 mags 15 round each) one rifle (MSR - 2 mags 40 round each)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

You have ammo for all of your guns and can arm every crew member to repel boarders? Lets hope so.

Have you considered towing a dinghy so you can add inventory? Net an extra 200 lbs plus at least. You cut it loose if necessary due to bad weather or pirates. Arrh!
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 01-13-2022, 7:28 PM

Question(s)
If you could have only 5 guns, what would they be?... irrespective of the SHTF or daily living.

Item 1: 300 WM bolt action and about 40-60 rounds,
Why bother if you are only carrying 40-60 rounds? If you are in California 99% of the predators (2 legged or 4 legged) will not require this level of effort. (second tier item)

Item 2: Springfield M1A probably close to 500 rounds and several magazines,
Now we are talking. (First tier item).

Item 3: Kimber 1911 45 probably 200 rounds,
Excellent choice. (First tier item)

Item 4: One of the 16 gauge shotguns and 250 rounds,
Why? 16ga is impossible to find ammo for and you have to handload buck or slugs. (Second tier item)
But a shotgun in 12ga or 20ga for ammo availability and variety.

Item 5: Several 22's, one rifle (10/22), a few hand guns and likely a couple of bricks.
(Pick one 10/22. A First Tier item)

Pick up Survival Guns by Mel Tappen. A small section of the book deals with bugging out by boat.

Best regards,
870classic.
Old 01-13-2022, 7:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There are Ammo stores all over the place.... police cars

Should an EMP or dirty bomb go off, I'd travel light.

Carry a common caliber where one could find spare Ammo.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 01-13-2022, 8:15 PM

Why carry the 300WM and the M1A? Seems like you satisfy a battle rifle and a precision/long distance rifle with the M1A. 40-60 WM rounds isn’t that bad but coupled with the rifle you’re looking at 10lbs. Maybe you really like your 300 but I’d consider dropping it.
Old 01-13-2022, 8:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have a good good quality dingy on standby and drag behind your boat �� and you are set.
Same as the truck guys, we got trailers

BTW I would rather have that boat than that Ford you speak of ; )

LetsGoBrandon!

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 01-13-2022, 9:50 PM

If you're traveling in SHTF, you've already lost. Either you are at you at your bug out location, or you need to hunker down.

That being said, 22lr is the lightest and probably your most versatile round. You need a good long range / hunting round. A good round for your EBR. A shotgun for it's versatility, and a pistol.
Old 01-13-2022, 9:55 PM

Maybe partial to the 300 WM because the boats really not defensible. Let’s face it the old fiberglass is going to out live us but not an AR or any kind of assault. I have read accounts of people using long distance high powered rifles to dissuade pirates and distant assailants so it was my go to for the “first” shot may be only shot selection. As 870 noted the M1A may be better served with more magazines and ammo then the 300WM.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I imagine a 300 WM would serve pretty well as your "**** around and find out!" gun on the water. But so would the M1A, so there is some redundancy there.
Old 01-14-2022, 6:38 AM
Veteran Member

M1A/M14 + 4-5 loaded mags, or .308 Garand + 6 en blocs. Plus whatever extra I can carry.
Rock Island 1911 45 acp + 2-4 extra mags(depending on what pack I have), and whatever I can carry. With complete extra top end, barrels, and mags, for extra calibers in case I run low, and find some(9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm).
22 lr rifle.
No shotgun as my kids have both.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 01-14-2022 at 7:01 AM..
Old 01-14-2022, 6:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...1769080&page=2

In the General Guns forum there is a robust thread with posts about how many calibers; everything from vast collections to minimalist, but it had me thinking. In SHTF we all know what we physically can carry on foot and I've seen threads about that, but what about in your vehicle. What are you going to bug out with? My case is different. Isn't everyone's, but since my bug out is a sail boat I have weight limits I wouldn't have in a F150 or big diesel truck. My boat would include:

300 WM bolt action and about 40-60 rounds,
Springfield M1A probably close to 500 rounds and several magazines,
Kimber 1911 45 probably 200 rounds,
One of the 16 gauge shotguns and 250 rounds,
Several 22's, one rifle (10/22), a few hand guns and likely a couple of bricks.

Even all that is lot of weight for the boat.
Personally I would carry reloading stuff. Nothing fancy. Basic reloading kit. Hell I woild go for the small self contained reloading kit that doesn’t use a press to do the reload. Takes no room. About the size of a set of reloading dies. I forgot what they were called. I got sets for a few calibers. Yiu use a hammer to drive the primer set the primer and set the bullet. Comes with a small scoop and funnel. . Get one reloading formula that works well and leave it at that.

As far as guns…I would get three. Something long range short range and conversation distance. From your list…..I would , go Kimber although I rather have a revolver. Less parts less magazines. I would prefer bolt action rifle as there are less moving parts, a 12 ga shotgun and a 22. I woild even go with a single shot on those. I would want KISS guns. Simple to fix simple to use simple to repair. Hell I’m would even say get a AK and call it a day. If some goat herder in the azz end of the world has one made in 1960 and it still shoots today I’d say get that. Yiure not there to fight a war. You want to be as stealthy or low key as possible.

I would get as much ammo for the 22 as possible over the others. Cheapest quietest and will take game that doesn’t have teeth and claws and feed you. Carry spare parts. You’re not gonna be fighting a running gun battle on a sail boat. Wherever you end up you’ll most likely be outgunned and seen from a long way off. You’re not gonna be fighting the Smokers off in a sail boat Mariner.

Last edited by Rob454; 01-14-2022 at 6:43 PM..