Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-29-2020, 2:55 PM

Went to the new range office this afternoon with DL, membership card and blue ticket to update my info in the new system. There was a line of 8 or 9 people ahead of me and the staff was efficiently using two terminals to sign existing members up.

The new range looks good and I look forward to giving it a try later this week during the members only soft-start.

I like everyone else have been waiting expectantly for this to happen. I decided to come home and extend my membership today as a way of supporting the efforts on our behalf.

ARFrog
Old 02-29-2020, 4:10 PM

A new feature that I like is large visible count-down clocks throughout the range. You'll be able to tell how much time is left just by looking at these clocks. Very helpful to us muzzleloaders. Also a new light system. Green/yellow/red, Green shoot, yellow 2 minutes left, red stop shooting.
Old 02-29-2020, 8:55 PM

See you guys there tomorrow, Ill be there with my non shooting son and a bunch of CZ's. we should do a meetup eventually.

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."
Old 02-29-2020, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post
Went to the range today to sign up for the new card and took a tour. They should open the whole range up within a few weeks. Many of the concerns raised in this thread appear to not really exist. Members cost will be $9 or $10 with non-members paying double that. There are about 60 pistol slots and 30 some rifle including an area for standing shooters. The line remains more or less open so there won’t be “cubicles” as some have worried about. Screens will be available to protect from flying brass. Shooting tables on rifle area will be concrete. No carpets so bring a towel to protect your guns, they may get rubber mats. You will be assigned a table number when you register but you can move back and forth between rifle and pistol as long as there are spaces available. Rifle is max 100 yards and you can place your target into a portable wood stand and move it in or out to your desired distance so you can sit at the same table and shoot different distances. Pistol range is maximum 50 feet but you can use the standing area on the rifle side to shoot pistols at longer distances.
The look and feel of the place will be very similar to what it was before IMO.

Skirmisher

Thanks for the detailed report. This sounds great!!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-01-2020, 5:27 PM

So, how did day 1 go? Looking forward to going during the week (soon, hopefully)
Old 03-01-2020, 5:51 PM

Im really looking forward to this week. I havent been out in a long time and want to get in some range time.
Old 03-01-2020, 5:58 PM

Are the pistol targets fixed at 15 yards, or can they be moved closer?
Like 10 or 7 yards?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2020, 6:11 PM

Im hopeing they have 25yd pistol range still.
Old 03-01-2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
Are the pistol targets fixed at 15 yards, or can they be moved closer?
Like 10 or 7 yards?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You can move your targets closer if youd like. There are fixed 15yrd stations and then movable frame holders.

kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 03-01-2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped and ready View Post
Im hopeing they have 25yd pistol range still.
Folks who are proficient and known people will shoot greater distances on the rifle side. There are I think 6 positions for long distance pistol shooting the first stalls on rifle side.

kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 03-01-2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan8 View Post
So, how did day 1 go? Looking forward to going during the week (soon, hopefully)
It went great... people were great as they processed their memberships into the system.

Lots of RSO on the range also learning the ropes and it was GREAT to see faces that I havent seen in about 5 years.

Glad its open... glad we have a local range again.

Old 03-01-2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBoy View Post
Folks who are proficient and known people will shoot greater distances on the rifle side. There are I think 6 positions for long distance pistol shooting the first stalls on rifle side.
Good to know. I will swing by tomorrow and check it out. They had a 25yd on the old pistol side and the first 4 lanes on the rifle side used to be 50yd for pistol. I used to be allowed to shoot at the 50yd without a scope, but I have a feeling things may have changed.
Old 03-01-2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
It went great... people were great as they processed their memberships into the system.

Lots of RSO on the range also learning the ropes and it was GREAT to see faces that I havent seen in about 5 years.

Glad its open... glad we have a local range again.
Great to hear! Is Larry back?
Old 03-01-2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped and ready View Post
Good to know. I will swing by tomorrow and check it out. They had a 25yd on the old pistol side and the first 4 lanes on the rifle side used to be 50yd for pistol. I used to be allowed to shoot at the 50yd without a scope, but I have a feeling things may have changed.
Noooo... Dont do that!!

THE RANGE WILL AGAIN BE OPEN MARCH 7th & 8th 10am-5pm

I guess they are evaluating and tuning things still.

EDIT: or I should say.. feel free to stop by, but the range will not be open.

Old 03-01-2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Old 03-01-2020, 8:58 PM

Dont know why it did a double post.

I just want to swing by and get some info. Im renewing so I would like to check out the new range.
Old 03-02-2020, 6:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They have a pile of dirt to move before the pistol lanes on the rifle side will open. They are also going to build a loose rock wall to separate the pistol side from the rifle side. Each side will run, time wise, separately, or so I was told yesterday.

So far, so good. I like the structure as it seems to absorb some of the noise.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 03-02-2020, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
They have a pile of dirt to move before the pistol lanes on the rifle side will open. They are also going to build a loose rock wall to separate the pistol side from the rifle side. Each side will run, time wise, separately, or so I was told yesterday.

So far, so good. I like the structure as it seems to absorb some of the noise.
The dirt sitting there is for the HESCO barrier that will seperate the ranges. It wont be loose rock.

Yes, Each range will operate independently when the HESCO gets placed. Both sides have an RSO station with light control and microphone.

Also if no one noticed... The public range there has wifi deployed. The facility has 100M fiber that was brought in and we've deployed access points on both sides of the range. Nice speedy internet for those with carriers that dont offer decent coverage there in the valley.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The dirt sitting there is for the HESCO barrier that will seperate the ranges. It wont be loose rock.

I probably didn't fully understand when it was being described to me

Yes, Each range will operate independently when the HESCO gets placed. Both sides have an RSO station with light control and microphone.

Also if no one noticed... The public range there has wifi deployed. The facility has 100M fiber that was brought in and we've deployed access points on both sides of the range. Nice speedy internet for those with carriers that dont offer decent coverage there in the valley

I think most of us were so busy taking in the "newness" of it that getting on wi-fi wasn't part of the plan. Nice to know though. No pw required to sign on?

And a big thanks to all of you guys that worked to get this done!

The only item I will mention is that it would be nice if the 10 yd. line could be marked so when the portable stand is moved it is easy to find 10 yds. I think 10 yds is the typically most used distance for paper punching at a range.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
The only item I will mention is that it would be nice if the 10 yd. line could be marked so when the portable stand is moved it is easy to find 10 yds. I think 10 yds is the typically most used distance for paper punching at a range.

I use 10 yards when I want to reuse my target.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
I use 10 yards when I want to reuse my target.
I just use centers at 10-25 yrds.

Old 03-05-2020, 2:53 PM

Don't get in a hurry for use of the rifle range. Its pistol only right now, I called their ph # yesterday and its still some ways out for the rifle range. And for now its CURRENT members only until further notice. I will be signing up for Brentwood R & G soon, its only been 4 1/2 years since I gave it up for no real action towards getting it ready to re open then.

Psalm 1
Old 03-06-2020, 6:37 PM

They need to finish with the drainage system on the rifle side and complete the shooting benches. Those are the few things that I got out of the conversation with the gentleman behind the counter at the shooting shack today.

I'm really excited for this place.

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Last edited by jtv3062; 03-07-2020 at 5:59 AM..
Old 03-06-2020, 9:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

At the Diablo meeting last night they said it was probably "2 more weeks" for the rifle side to be completed because they had to weld the legs onto each shooting bench. They were also looking for volunteer welders to help complete the task.

Old 03-06-2020, 9:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I am a Diablo member and last night was my first club meeting. I didn't realize they had so much going on! Very active club.

I will see some of you tomorrow at the USPSA class.
Old 03-07-2020, 5:41 AM

We recently moved back to the east bay. Now that there is progress on the reopen, I will consider joining as a member.

Someone mentioned they need a welder for the benches? I am OK with a stick welder and can provide my services if needed...
Old 03-07-2020, 5:41 AM

We recently moved back to the east bay. Now that there is progress on the reopen, I will consider joining as a member.

Someone mentioned they need a welder for the benches? I am OK with a stick welder and can provide my services if needed...
Old 03-07-2020, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbeer View Post

That's what I was told yesterday that the benches needed the legs welded onto the bench top. The top is made out of concrete and are heavy.

Old 03-07-2020, 8:01 AM

Anyone know if it's members Sunday as well? I can't come today.
Old 03-07-2020, 1:19 PM

He said they are open for members Saturday and Sundays.

Old 03-07-2020, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I took the Diablo Action Pistol Orientation today and it was a great class. The VOLUNTEER ROs were all great, one even stayed after to help me sight in a new 10/22 so I could shoot it tomorrow.

I will be at the match tomorrow. You can spot me easy, I will be there slow guy looking to avoid the DQ.

Thank you you Blade, Daniel, Ed and all the other ROs.
Old 03-09-2020, 9:03 PM

Is the range open during the weekdays or only weekends? When's the next dates it will be open
Old 03-10-2020, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPoweR View Post
Is the range open during the weekdays or only weekends? When's the next dates it will be open
Weekends

Last edited by jtv3062; 03-10-2020 at 3:26 AM..
Old 03-10-2020, 11:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm only guessing but I think that the rifle side will also have a soft opening for members only and I'll guess that it will happen on March 28 weekend because the rifle benches are still being completed. When USI fully opens the range I was told that it will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:15 AM

I was also told closed Monday and Tuesday. But they are also have drainage work to be done besides the bench tables that needs to be done.
ETA, I was told by the guy in charge of USI.

Last edited by jtv3062; 03-11-2020 at 5:12 AM..
Old 03-18-2020, 1:03 PM

Default USI closed 3/17 thru 4/8

This is the official information portal on CALGUNS for UNITED SPORTSMEN INC.

20200318_133847.jpg

If and when we at USI get good news about reopening after this health scare I will post it on USI website and here at CALGUNS.

"Hey, let's be careful out there"
Concord, California 94520

www.unitedsportsmen.com
Old 03-21-2020, 6:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I was so excited to start recreational shooting again, was about to send membership application and this COVID-19 kills it. Wow! Just wow.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 03-21-2020, 9:54 AM

Red face Man!...

I tried to member shoot weeks before the Chinese virus shutdown, but didn’t have my membership card yet. Just received it and now hope that they open again on 4/18...

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he's holding a gun." - Homer
Old 03-21-2020, 12:15 PM

To get ready for the new rifle range I put new BUIS and a new Red Dot on my Zombie rifle. Bad timing on my part to not to have it sighted in

But being ever resourceful, I think I will change my Calguns name to Grog and be happy I have a CQZC - Close Quarters Zombie Club.

I will be practicing my new manual of arms with it thru April 8th and try to decide which end to hold it by...

ARFrog
Old 04-29-2020, 3:16 PM

I haven't heard from my club or anybody in the know for awhile. With outdoor businesses being allowed to reopen on the 4th, does anyone know or have they heard about anything as far as the range goes?

You are pretty much already social distanced when out there and the place is completely outdoors, it would be a good time for them to get going and open things up.

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."