Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-19-2010, 6:18 AM

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause! App turned in 11/17, Approval letter dated 12/9 arrived yesterday 12/18. Thank you CGF, I never thought that I would ever get a CCW permit in California. Donation will be coming!

Now off to get livescanned. I too have been full body printed so many times for various stuff that I must have a DOJ frequent flier number.

BTW, my son who is 21 has an initial appointment in January, that may well make him the youngest applicant (turned 21 one month ago).

I was shooting a Glock when shooting a Glock wasn't cool.
Old 12-19-2010, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
In my case, both Federal and State electronic returns were less than 24 hours. It took a few days for the hard copy letter to reach Amber though. That's what she wants/needs to have in hand, even though she knows right away that your background check is complete and what the results are.
How do you know if yours came back so fast? Is there some place online one could check the status of livescan?
Old 12-19-2010, 8:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyJS View Post
How do you know if yours came back so fast? Is there some place online one could check the status of livescan?
The automated phone system is described in post 14 on page 1 of this thread, see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6&postcount=14
Old 12-19-2010, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
The automated phone system is described in post 14 on page 1 of this thread, see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6&postcount=14
Added your post on the Automated LiveScan updates to the first post in the thread.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 12-19-2010, 3:34 PM

Thanks for pointing me to the automated system.
Old 12-19-2010, 7:20 PM

One more month till my appt. Cannot wait. If I get approved I am treating myself to a new handgun. Thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing.
Old 12-20-2010, 1:36 PM

These applications are different.

http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...es/ccw_app.pdf

http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...p_Fillable.pdf

The one from SacSherriff looks more standardized and the other one from Calguns has text already added for a couple of the questions (question number 10 and the good cause statement).

I have my appointment soon and I need to know, which one is everyone using (the first or the second link)?
Old 12-20-2010, 1:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The form is the same, but some useful text has been pre-entered into the version at our download section. We've also made it easy to fill out, as the entire form is now enter-able in Acrobat Reader vs printing and hand-writing.

Make sure you keep a copy of everything you do for your records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
These applications are different.

http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...es/ccw_app.pdf

http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...p_Fillable.pdf

The one from SacSherriff looks more standardized and the other one from Calguns has text already added for a couple of the questions (question number 10 and the good cause statement).

I have my appointment soon and I need to know, which one is everyone using (the first or the second link)?

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-20-2010, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Approval was waiting for me when I returned from a trip Saturday. LiveScan done today.
CGN
Old 12-20-2010, 5:05 PM

Waiting patiently for my permit. Tomorrow will be two weeks, which Amber said was the time-frame.
Old 12-20-2010, 5:09 PM

When is the best time to schedule my training for the CCW. I had my initial application appointment, and the interviewer told me the committee meets on Jan 12th. Should I wait until I get my approval letter and get live scanned, or get going sooner?
Old 12-20-2010, 5:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think you can do you safely do your training anytime between now and late January and you'll be fine unless you have any arrests in your history that you think the approval might be uncertain.
Old 12-20-2010, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
The form is the same, but some useful text has been pre-entered into the version at our download section. We've also made it easy to fill out, as the entire form is now enter-able in Acrobat Reader vs printing and hand-writing.

Make sure you keep a copy of everything you do for your records.
The Sacramento provided form is also fillable. Not sure why the CalGuns form provides fillable input for Section 7 since it is a no-no to fill out ahead of time. Applicants are required to leave Sections 6, 7, and 8 blank. Whoever accepts your application (Amber in my case) at the Sheriff's office will cover sections 6, 7, and 8 in person, fill out the answers provided verbally right there on the spot, and then cosign the form as a witness. The information filled in for Section 2, question #10 on the CalGuns form looks good.
Old 12-20-2010, 6:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzapara View Post
When is the best time to schedule my training for the CCW. I had my initial application appointment, and the interviewer told me the committee meets on Jan 12th. Should I wait until I get my approval letter and get live scanned, or get going sooner?
I went ahead and did mine before my initial appointment. When the detective asked for any documentation I might have showing handgun training I handed him my CCW/NRA Pistol Course certificate. He took a copy of it; it couldn't have hurt, I got my approval last week.

"A city's strongest tower of defense is brave men" -Alcaeus
Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzapara View Post
You can certainly do your training anytime now. The certificate of completion that you'll receive from your 16 hour initial course will be valid for 1 year. The shooting proficiency qualification will be good for 6 months. You'll be well through the whole process with the Sheriff's Department before then.

The only reason I would recommend that anyone wait is if they have something in their background that might disqualify them.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
You can certainly do your training anytime now. The certificate of completion that you'll receive from your 16 hour initial course will be valid for 1 year. The shooting proficiency qualification will be good for 6 months. You'll be well through the whole process with the Sheriff's Department before then.

The only reason I would recommend that anyone wait is if they have something in their background that might disqualify them.
Wes, in another (long) thread for Sacramento CCWs there was some question on exactly how long a training certificate was valid for. In that discussion, I don't believe there was any distinction made between the training course or the qualification and a person or two thought it was good for 90 days, but we couldn't find any reference for this. Can you tell us where we can find the information that shows the period these are good for. I'm not implying I don't take your word on it, but it would be a good reference for others to have this information documented. Several folks have held off on training specifically because they didn't want it to expire before they reached that stage of the application process.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member

Wes, I was told that since my previous training was taken too long ago, I had to take a CCW training course. That's why I was in your class last week.

In any event, Amber advised me that they want you to have taken the training within the past 2 years. In the long thread referenced here, they'd really like the training to have occurred within the previous 90 days. In any event, if you're not sure you'd be approved, wait for the approval letter. Then take the training and do the Live Scan. If you're certain you'll be OK, do the training while waiting to turn in your application. That way, you do your Live Scan shortly after the approval and once you get the final OK, you just set up the appointment to turn in the certificate of completion and qual cards and you're GTG. That's about as short of a time frame as you will be able to make things go. The rest is out of your hands.
Old 12-21-2010, 7:26 AM

Nov 18th - turned in app
Dec 16th - received approval letter
Dec 17th - did livescan
Today - checked the automated system and my background check for both FBI and DOJ have been completed and requesting agency has been notified
Old 12-21-2010, 9:02 AM

what is the format for the good cause letter?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson_wwsc View Post
what is the format for the good cause letter?
Mine looked like this, typed on Word, printed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper:

Details of Reason for Applicant desiring a CCW License

I am requesting a CCW license for the purpose of fill in the blank and the protection of fill in the blank.

Signature
First and Last Name
Street Address
Town, CA Zip

That simple. It worked for me. Name and address withheld for obvious reasons, and statement truncated because others on Calguns have stated that we shouldn't publish our statements. But, I'm sure you know what you want to say.

Last edited by Rugerdaddy; 12-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Just needed the format. =)
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Just to let y'all know: I had my visit with Amber today. I was in and out in about 10 minutes, signing the rice paper and providing my thumb print... I was also told that I should expect to receive my rice paper, laminated in style for sure, in:

One or two Allison's. (2-4 weeks).
Old 12-22-2010, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Just a FYI... I've had my permit and been carrying for almost a month and they just got around to cashing my final papers check yesterday. I gave it to them 11/16.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM

I just applied online and have an appt for April 6th. Thanks to everyone who put in the hard work to make this possible.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Does anyone know how long the wait is between the livescan
results being sent to Amber and getting your approval?
I did the livescan on 11/4. FBI sent results on 11/17, and Ca. DOJ
sent results to Sac Sherriff on 11/23. It's been almost a month
and I have not heard a word on approval or denial
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknut View Post
I just applied online and have an appt for April 6th. Thanks to everyone who put in the hard work to make this possible.
Does that man the process is now taking 6+ months? Not complaining but that seems kinda messed up.
Old 12-22-2010, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Just a FYI... I've had my permit and been carrying for almost a month and they just got around to cashing my final papers check yesterday. I gave it to them 11/16.

well! it looks like you are going to have to change your "handle" in this county
Old 12-22-2010, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDN41 View Post
usually, you don't hear them, they just bash in your door, and come in guns blazing. good luck
Old 12-22-2010, 8:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDN41 View Post
It only took 18 days to receive my letter after getting my LiveScan but some others took over a month. I wrote in the other Sacramento thread that Amber said that it takes a while for her to receive a certified letter from the DOJ but I expect some of the delay is due to some of the backlog of work processing CCWs in Sacramento. Hopefully, you're less than a month from having your CCW in your wallet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
Does that man the process is now taking 6+ months? Not complaining but that seems kinda messed up.
Things are taking longer now than when I applied since the word has got out more that Sacto is essentially "shall issue". Despite tight budgets in the Sheriff's Department, they have got more people helping process applications but the wait time is longer. I called for my appointment on 7/21 and was able to come in on 9/2 (and my CCW was received 12/4). That seemed like a long time at the time, but it's much worse now. According to the online appointment system (go to the CalGuns CCW initiative page linked in the first post of this thread and go from there), the next appointment dates now available are in April. Fortunately, they are increasing staff time allocated to this as I see they take appointments on Wednesdays and Thursdays now (used to be just Thursdays). Fortunately, you know that you are pretty much are assured of being approved as long as you don't have any serious legal problems in your history, so it's worth the wait.

Last edited by harbinger007; 12-22-2010 at 9:01 PM..
Old 12-23-2010, 8:56 PM

Default Had my appt today (Finally)

First of all Thanks to everyone here for the help and encouragement. A few things about the appointment
First, they are now asking for your good cause statement to be on a seperate piece of paper, not the page in the packet and they want that done prior to the appointment.
2. Even though it was supposed to be with Amber Wong, I never met her. The first part was with a retired officer who was brought in to help with the backlog. After a short time with him where he just checked to be sure the packet was filled out correctly and I signed the forms in the packet. I was taken to an interview room. A detective went over the packet and asked a few questions. I will try to remember all of them. After the interview the detective described the rest of the process and told me the 3 person committee would meet again in Jan. and I would hear back soon after that. They also ran a background check on me while I was waiting to talk to the detective.

the questions in no particular order.

How long have you been shooting?
When did you get your first gun? First handgun?
Have you ever had any training?
Does your employer know you are applying for a permit?

These are all I can remember but if I remember anything else I will post it.

Now just waiting for the yeah or nay...

Have a happy and safe (armed) holiday
Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 PM

very informative thread, thank you everyone. I plan on applying for my ccw in the near future. What is a good place to obtain the 16hr ccw training?
Old 12-24-2010, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedo59 View Post
Does your employer know you are applying for a permit?
I wasn't planning on telling my boss because I know I can't carry where I work. If your wondering, I work for a grocery store chain stocking overnight. Not telling my boss would that be a deniable factor ? Thanks

Chad
Old 12-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Default employer

I work in health care and there is a very strict no weapons policy on their property. So I won't carry there. However I don't feel that they have a reason or a right to know what I do legally outside of work.

I do not think that is a deniable problem.
Old 12-24-2010, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops View Post
I wasn't planning on telling my boss because I know I can't carry where I work. If your wondering, I work for a grocery store chain stocking overnight. Not telling my boss would that be a deniable factor ? Thanks

Chad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedo59 View Post
I work in health care and there is a very strict no weapons policy on their property. So I won't carry there. However I don't feel that they have a reason or a right to know what I do legally outside of work.

I do not think that is a deniable problem.
If you're not going to carry at work, then you have no reason to tell your employer. Simply tell the interviewing detective that you aren't planning on carrying at work. It won't be a problem.
Old 12-24-2010, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

He asked me if I had notified my employer. I said, "I'm a teacher." He said, "Oh, you won't be carrying at work anyway, so it doesn't matter." He went on to say that they ask that for persons who may do company work (delivery, maintenance, etc.) in outside areas where they want to carry, so then the employer would need to know. If you have no plans to carry while on the job, the SSD doesn't care if you notify your employer or not.

Old 12-24-2010, 2:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That seems to be a bit of a nanny policy. If someone has an employer who does not have a firearms policy and it's not prohibited, why does the SSD need to be involved?

Fortunately, I'm self-employed and it wasn't an issue for me as I'd already talked to myself about it.
Old 12-25-2010, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinger View Post
If you're not going to carry at work, then you have no reason to tell your employer. Simply tell the interviewing detective that you aren't planning on carrying at work. It won't be a problem.
Cool, Thank you for that info.

Chad
Old 12-27-2010, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
Wes, in another (long) thread for Sacramento CCWs there was some question on exactly how long a training certificate was valid for. In that discussion, I don't believe there was any distinction made between the training course or the qualification and a person or two thought it was good for 90 days, but we couldn't find any reference for this. Can you tell us where we can find the information that shows the period these are good for. I'm not implying I don't take your word on it, but it would be a good reference for others to have this information documented. Several folks have held off on training specifically because they didn't want it to expire before they reached that stage of the application process.

Thanks!
Sorry, I've been gone for a few days. I received that information from a close friend who spoke to Amber Wong directly during his CCW process. I asked him to ask several questions, these time limits being a couple of them. He called me right after he left his meeting with Amber. She told him 1 year for the course and 6 months for the shooting proficiency qualification.

I would also like to be able to reference this somewhere. Maybe if someone has an appointment with Amber, they can ask where to find documented information regarding the length of time the CCW course and qualification is good for. As busy as she is, that seems to be the only way to effectivly communicate with her.

Last edited by ccwtrainer; 12-27-2010 at 8:57 AM..
Old 12-27-2010, 9:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks, Wes.

Since you're providing training services, I think it would be appropriate for you to e-mail Amber regarding this information. I've e-mailed her previously and posted her information here (i.e., two barrels for same weapon okay, annual qualifications get submitted via mailed/faxed/e-mail) and she responded promptly.
Old 12-27-2010, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyTLe View Post
very informative thread, thank you everyone. I plan on applying for my ccw in the near future. What is a good place to obtain the 16hr ccw training?
HuyTLe: there are several places that do CCW training around here. All the Security Academies do, however, you'd be lumped in with all the security guards. Wes (ccwtrainer) has a 16 hour program that's good for Sacramento. All he covers is CCW stuff. The main thing with him is that hes much more flexible than the academies in terms of scheduling. He's very passionate about this stuff. I would definitely recommend him for training. He is a bit more expensive than the Academies, but less expensive than Ron Etchells (?). You'll learn a lot anyway, no matter who you go to... but definitely consider Wes for your training.

In any event, regardless of who does your initial training, you owe it to yourself to seek out more knowledge and training than what you get in your 16 hour class.