Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > Temp Post-Duncan Mag Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2019, 11:39 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXRiley View Post
What about rimfire ? Standard cap magazines okay in them?
Semi auto and bolt action.
Any action type rimfire rifle = yes.
Manually operated rimfire pistol = yes.
Featureless semi-auto rimfire pistol = yes.
Semi-auto rimfire pistol with fixed magazine = no.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-02-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Thanks for the reply, I find myself enjoying my 22 more often shooting and glad to hear I have some extra rounds available now for plinking
Old 04-03-2019, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
CADOJ insists that the bullet-buttons remain on if you registered the gun with a BB. I don't understand why.

But as noted, a BB no longer qualifies to make a rifle 'fixed mag', so can't create an 'assault weapon' by using a 11+ mag in such a registered gun.

What kind of rotating mag exists for a centerfire semi-auto? I don't think of a drum as a 'rotating mag'. IIRC, rotating cylinders are mentioned in the context of shotguns.
I'll spice this up.
Can you use a 20rd ProMag rotating drum magazine in a semi-automatic magazine fed shotgun that you registered in 2018? That semi-auto magazine fed shotgun has a magazine locking device (BB) and has previously been limited to maximum 10 round/shell magazine.
Old 04-03-2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXRiley View Post
What about rimfire ? Standard cap magazines okay in them?
Semi auto and bolt action.
As far as I read the laws rimfire doesn't count for pretty much anything. So you can use whatever magazine in whatever weapon in whatever configuration.
Old 04-03-2019, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I'll spice this up.
Can you use a 20rd ProMag rotating drum magazine in a semi-automatic magazine fed shotgun that you registered in 2018? That semi-auto magazine fed shotgun has a magazine locking device (BB) and has previously been limited to maximum 10 round/shell magazine.
Yes if by "registered" you mean a RAW.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 04-03-2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinman View Post
As far as I read the laws rimfire doesn't count for pretty much anything. So you can use whatever magazine in whatever weapon in whatever configuration.
Yeah that's my take except for semi auto rifle fixed magazine pistol
Old 04-04-2019, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
CADOJ insists that the bullet-buttons remain on if you registered the gun with a BB. I don't understand why.
Because as proof that they read this forum, some folks were celebrating "YAY! I can put a standard release on my AR and dump the bullet button if I register!" And then the wording changed to specifically say that BB guns need to keep their BBs. That wasn't in the very first draft of the legislation, but you bet your *** they added it later because we found a flaw in their thinking.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 04-04-2019, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
Because as proof that they read this forum, some folks were celebrating "YAY! I can put a standard release on my AR and dump the bullet button if I register!" And then the wording changed to specifically say that BB guns need to keep their BBs. That wasn't in the very first draft of the legislation, but you bet your *** they added it later because we found a flaw in their thinking.
And IMO their regulation is still unenforceable.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 04-05-2019, 12:23 AM

Can we use LCMs in a pistol?
Old 04-05-2019, 1:05 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvpham View Post
Can we use LCMs in a pistol?
What kind of pistol? Answer is dependent on that info.

If it is a manually operated single-shot pistol, then no, because CA DOJ BOF is holding the stance that modifying it from a single-shot to a repeater will cause it to an unsafe handgun.

If it is a manually operated repeating pistol, then yes, it is CA legal for it to use detachable magazines of any capacity.

If it is a semi-auto pistol that does not have a fixed magazine, then yes, it is CA legal for it to use detachable magazines of any capacity.

If it is a semi-auto pistol that has a fixed magazine, then no, it is limited to a 10 or less round magazine in order to remain CA legal. [PC 30515(a)(5)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 04-05-2019 at 1:08 AM..
Old 04-05-2019, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If things were rational in CA, much of the reasoning in Duncan should apply to a new suit against many of CA’s gun laws — but such suits must be filed specifically against the laws, there is no ‘penumbra’ of Duncan that sweeps up other parts of Penal Code.
Penumbra? That's a play out of the Libs playbook.

Last edited by BAJ475; 04-05-2019 at 5:36 PM.. Reason: correct typo
Old 04-06-2019, 3:24 PM

Safe to run LCM/SCM in a RAW (BBAW) pistol?
Old 04-06-2019, 3:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
Safe to run LCM/SCM in a RAW (BBAW) pistol?

I think so. It’s a RAW. Having a 30rd mag in a fixed-mag gun makes it an assault weapon. You already have a RAW so I would assume it’s hunky-dory.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 04-07-2019, 6:36 AM

Default Rimfire?

I know it's in the AW flow chart but can anyone clarify on rimfire. I get, rimfire featureless you can use standard capacity (greater than 10 rounds). But what about rimfire with evil features? Can you use standard capacity mags? Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.
Old 04-07-2019, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmmcc View Post
I know it's in the AW flow chart but can anyone clarify on rimfire. I get, rimfire featureless you can use standard capacity (greater than 10 rounds). But what about rimfire with evil features? Can you use standard capacity mags? Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.
Yes as long as the receiver is a registered AW. It was not possible to register an AW as 22 cal so it would have to be a conversion of a centerfire registered AW.
Old 04-07-2019, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I'll spice this up.
AFAIK any shotgun with a rotating cylinder is illegal thanks to the street sweeper of the 80's. It's specifically outlined in 12276.1 section 8. It's also the reason why we can't have the Taurus Judge capable of shooting .410 bore.

Trouble is that magazines are not an integral part of the gun since they classified as a magazines and not cylinders.

You make the call. I wouldn't mess with it because it's too close in misinterpretation like the whole SKS and Yugo 59/66 nomenclature with detachable magazines.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-251895.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

Last edited by Swagman00; 04-07-2019 at 7:33 AM..
Old 04-08-2019, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
And IMO their regulation is still unenforceable.
Yes, just to make this clear, there is nothing in the legislation requiring you to keep the bullet button on after registering your firearm as an assault weapon. That requirement was made as part of the regulations because DOJ realized that the legislators were idiots and their legislation allowed the bullet button's removal after the gun became a RAW.

Why? Because a RAW is a RAW is a RAW. The law itself doesn't recognize a BBRAW.
Old 04-08-2019, 9:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman00 View Post
AFAIK any shotgun with a rotating cylinder is illegal thanks to the street sweeper of the 80's. It's specifically outlined in 12276.1 section 8.

It's also the reason why we can't have the Taurus Judge capable of shooting .410 bore.
12276.1 has been gone since 2012, when the Penal Code was reorganized and renumbered; the section you reference is 30515(a)(8) now.

And the Judge is illegal as a short-barreled shotgun -
Quote:

As used in this part, “short-barreled shotgun” means any of the following:

(a) A firearm that is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell and has a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoystory View Post
Yes, just to make this clear, there is nothing in the legislation requiring you to keep the bullet button on after registering your firearm as an assault weapon. That requirement was made as part of the regulations because DOJ realized that the legislators were idiots and their legislation allowed the bullet button's removal after the gun became a RAW.

Why? Because a RAW is a RAW is a RAW. The law itself doesn't recognize a BBRAW.

Many members share this interpretation but no one wants to be the test case.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 04-08-2019, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
12276.1 has been gone since 2012, when the Penal Code was reorganized and renumbered; the section you reference is 30515(a)(8) now.

And the Judge is illegal as a short-barreled shotgun -
Gotcha. Thats what I get for refrencing old threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!
Old 04-13-2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborscott View Post
any opinion on over 10 mag in a 10/22
Is rimfire.

No issue unless it's a pistol 10/22.
Old 04-20-2019, 2:45 AM

So I can take my featureless Sub2000, and stick a 50 round glock drum in it and not be committing a felony? I remember Penal Code 32310(c) being the issue with that and if everything reverted back to the old chains we had, even if that week we were able to buy these, can they still be used?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
What kind of rotating mag exists for a centerfire semi-auto?
Semi-auto Lewis gun build. Semi DPM....
Old 06-06-2020, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

What about this proposed scenario:

Say someone has a maglocked ar15, but wants to buy the CMMG 22lr bolt conversion. Would LCMs of 22lr be allowed in that configuration since the upper is now technically a 22lr? (but the lower still using the maglock)

Additionally, what about dedicated 22lr uppers that are swapped out into maglocked lowers? (almost the same as above but the above was only a bolt replacement)
Old 06-06-2020, 7:25 AM
YOU are next!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2123 View Post
What about this proposed scenario:

Say someone has a maglocked ar15, but wants to buy the CMMG 22lr bolt conversion. Would LCMs of 22lr be allowed in that configuration since the upper is now technically a 22lr? (but the lower still using the maglock)

Additionally, what about dedicated 22lr uppers that are swapped out into maglocked lowers? (almost the same as above but the above was only a bolt replacement)
I believe that the answer to both of those scenarios is the same. If the rifle is configured to shoot 22LR, then you are ok to use standard magazines even though it retains the fixed magazine, because the configuration deems it to be a rifle.

If I were to consider an AR22, I would skip conversion kits and just build a dedicated one so that I can fully utilize all of the evil features as well as standard cap magazines. Or just buy an M&P15-22.