Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-09-2021, 10:06 AM
ir0nclash86's Avatar
ir0nclash86 ir0nclash86 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden Grove
Posts: 3,978
iTrader: 149 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
strongly thinking about building my own too - i love that lower with the carry handle but i can't find one yet online - are they still out there?

everyone seems to be out of stock with the Colt retro reissue's i've been looking at
Check GunBroker for m16a1 uppers. Picked mine up on there and bought a colt A1 butt stock assembly on GunBroker and colt lpk. I used a regular modern receiver cause I believe the only difference between an m16a1 receiver and a modern receiver is the extra reinforcement on the receiver extension.
__________________
Rock out with your Glock out
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-09-2021, 10:17 AM
nitroxdiver's Avatar
nitroxdiver nitroxdiver is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Not in California
Posts: 5,924
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
The M16 and M16A1 are 1/12

Thank you thats what i thought. I seem to remember reading them changing from 1/14 sometime around 63/64, so assume it was only the xm16e1ís that had that short lived twist rate, but wasnít sure if it changed after adoption to m16/m16a1 or before. In my head itís always just been 1/12, until it became 1/7.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-09-2021, 11:38 AM
smle-man's Avatar
smle-man smle-man is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,535
iTrader: 127 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
Thank you thats what i thought. I seem to remember reading them changing from 1/14 sometime around 63/64, so assume it was only the xm16e1ís that had that short lived twist rate, but wasnít sure if it changed after adoption to m16/m16a1 or before. In my head itís always just been 1/12, until it became 1/7.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The XM16E1 I was issued in 1975 had a 1/12 twist but it could have been rebarreled before I got it.
__________________
4th generation citizen soldier - U.S. Army (ret)

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 PM
FLIGHT762's Avatar
FLIGHT762 FLIGHT762 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Calif. / SFO Area
Posts: 2,849
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

The 1-14" barrel were switched out in 19634-64. When the replacement barrels were installed, they had a small stamp marking on the barrel forward of the front sight that read "12" or "12.s". That was to identify the new 1-12"barrels.

I have a 4 digit 1968 SP1 that has the "12.s" stamp.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-09-2021, 12:28 PM
FalconLair's Avatar
FalconLair FalconLair is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Summerlin, NV.
Posts: 3,335
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

i ran across this rifle from the Ranier Gun Store www.raniersec.com

https://www.raniersec.com/product/br...barrel-20-rds/

$598.49??

has anyone ever dealt with this place - their claim is they have the BRN-16A1 that Brownell's generally sold for $1200 at a price of $598.49 in store

am i missing something here? BTW, slowest website in creation - sigh

phone number is not accepting calls right now, their "24/7" online support isn't available right now - my only recourse is email - looks like they are located in Alaska
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
I! hate! you! FalconLair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I hate you FalconLair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
They hate you FalconLair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta
HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

Last edited by FalconLair; 06-09-2021 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-09-2021, 12:45 PM
nitroxdiver's Avatar
nitroxdiver nitroxdiver is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Not in California
Posts: 5,924
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
i ran across this rifle from the Ranier Gun Store www.raniersec.com

https://www.raniersec.com/product/br...barrel-20-rds/

$598.49??

has anyone ever dealt with this place - their claim is they have the BRN-16A1 that Brownell's generally sold for $1200 at a price of $598.49 in store

am i missing something here? BTW, slowest website in creation - sigh

phone number is not accepting calls right now, their "24/7" online support isn't available right now - my only recourse is email - looks like they are located in Alaska

A quick search shows them to be a scam outfit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-09-2021, 1:02 PM
FalconLair's Avatar
FalconLair FalconLair is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Summerlin, NV.
Posts: 3,335
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
A quick search shows them to be a scam outfit.
i figured that - a quick search does show they're not legit

funny thing is, had they listed the rifle for $1000 i probably would've thought "oh what a deal" and ordered without any thought

that low price raised a red flag for me

thanks for the assist man
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
I! hate! you! FalconLair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I hate you FalconLair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
They hate you FalconLair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta
HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-09-2021, 1:32 PM
nitroxdiver's Avatar
nitroxdiver nitroxdiver is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Not in California
Posts: 5,924
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
i figured that - a quick search does show they're not legit

funny thing is, had they listed the rifle for $1000 i probably would've thought "oh what a deal" and ordered without any thought

that low price raised a red flag for me

thanks for the assist man

I did a little reading and everyone that got took by them said they want payment with some gift card. Uhh, yea, no thanks.

Take your time youíll get a retro rifle figured out. Thanks for the thread this has been fun and some extra good info always comes out of the woodwork when we start diving into details.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-09-2021, 2:40 PM
DudeFromTheWest DudeFromTheWest is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 88
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Id love one with a General Motors Hydramatic lower!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-09-2021, 10:25 PM
Mojaveman's Avatar
Mojaveman Mojaveman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 829
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Quote:
I thought the original twist rate was 1 in 14".
It was but when they were tested in Alaska in extreme cold weather the 1/14" barrel wouldn't stabilize the 55 gr. projectile. That's why they went to the 1/12" barrel.

Later the A2 went with a 1/7" barrel so it could stabilize a heavy tracer round.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Mojaveman's Avatar
Mojaveman Mojaveman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 829
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Here’s a cool photo of a high speed dude with his m16a1, suppressor, and Colt carry handle 3x or 4x optic.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice picture but not exactly a "high speed" trooper. 1st Corps Support Command was a logistical support (REMF) unit.

Last edited by Mojaveman; 06-10-2021 at 9:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-09-2021, 10:47 PM
Mopar Guy's Avatar
Mopar Guy Mopar Guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 577
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I remember very well the M177 Commando or CAR submachine gun. When I was a Kid I went to the hobby shop and bought a life size model replica. I was totally into Vietnam back then. It was in the 80s....It was almost identical to the original and I was like 14 years old. I had it hanging over my Marine Corp banner...the red and gold one. The neighbor kid stopped by and was talking to me an I said check out my new M16. He told his older brother and the brother dialed 911 and said I was shooting an M16 in the neighborhood. Then had the full response of my local police department. They even had back up from the other city and had me come out of the house at gun point. They promptly arrested the kid down the street for a false 911 call after they found my rifle was a plastic model. They didn't notice all of my illegal fireworks which were in my room at the time. It was actually kind of funny, yet my parents were pissed and very happy the little brat down the street got slapped with handcuffs. Funny days. I did get a real Colt M4 and HK MR556 later in life.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 11,967
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojaveman View Post
Nice picture but not exactly a "high speed" trooper. 1st Corps Support Command was pretty much a REMF unit.
They gave those guys silencers, scopes, and boonie hats?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-10-2021, 6:04 AM
beanz2's Avatar
beanz2 beanz2 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,237
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Guy View Post
I remember very well the M177 Commando or CAR submachine gun. When I was a Kid I went to the hobby shop and bought a life size model replica. I was totally into Vietnam back then. It was in the 80s....It was almost identical to the original and I was like 14 years old. I had it hanging over my Marine Corp banner...the red and gold one. The neighbor kid stopped by and was talking to me an I said check out my new M16. He told his older brother and the brother dialed 911 and said I was shooting an M16 in the neighborhood. Then had the full response of my local police department. They even had back up from the other city and had me come out of the house at gun point. They promptly arrested the kid down the street for a false 911 call after they found my rifle was a plastic model. They didn't notice all of my illegal fireworks which were in my room at the time. It was actually kind of funny, yet my parents were pissed and very happy the little brat down the street got slapped with handcuffs. Funny days. I did get a real Colt M4 and HK MR556 later in life.
Good for him! Yet, these days heíd be praised and the media would paint him as a life savior. Everytown would make him their model citizen. Heís probably still bragging to his lib friends that he prevented another mass shooting.
__________________

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-10-2021, 6:36 AM
smle-man's Avatar
smle-man smle-man is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,535
iTrader: 127 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
They gave those guys silencers, scopes, and boonie hats?
Looks like it was his 2nd tour in country.
__________________
4th generation citizen soldier - U.S. Army (ret)

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-10-2021, 3:20 PM
fredseviltwin fredseviltwin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Well I will upload one picture at a time here is the upper with the reproduction shortened handguard.
It looks better than the cut down original


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-10-2021, 3:23 PM
fredseviltwin fredseviltwin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

You can see that the bolt carrier has little wear
The pistol grip is an original


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-10-2021, 3:25 PM
fredseviltwin fredseviltwin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default


Yes still a paperweight... unless they decide otherwise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-10-2021, 3:27 PM
fredseviltwin fredseviltwin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I still must install the front sight taper pins.
Turns out the barrel is a 223 Wylde chamber. 1:7


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-10-2021, 8:15 PM
FalconLair's Avatar
FalconLair FalconLair is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Summerlin, NV.
Posts: 3,335
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

so what happened with these retro series models that Brownell's came out with just a few years ago - are they already out of production, can't locate them anywhere

they looked pretty nice and not overly priced - wouldn't mind one of those



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_VVbn4SiY&t=342s
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
I! hate! you! FalconLair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I hate you FalconLair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
They hate you FalconLair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta
HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-11-2021, 8:25 PM
Erichp Erichp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 877
iTrader: 50 / 100%
Default

I have a NOS Colt M16A1 (Circa 1974) upper and NDS complete lower I could offer if you decide that may fit your needs.

Unless you decide you want a complete new repro, imo, finding original assemblies will beat cobbling something together given its more challenging these days to source the bits. Though for some folks, its about the chase.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-11-2021, 8:51 PM
fredseviltwin fredseviltwin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Well parts are out there. Although, you can end up buying parts that wonít work with each other.
https://retrorifles.com/c7-c8-m16a1e1-upper-receiver/
Thatís a good start point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-11-2021, 9:03 PM
FalconLair's Avatar
FalconLair FalconLair is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Summerlin, NV.
Posts: 3,335
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erichp View Post
I have a NOS Colt M16A1 (Circa 1974) upper and NDS complete lower I could offer if you decide that may fit your needs.

Unless you decide you want a complete new repro, imo, finding original assemblies will beat cobbling something together given its more challenging these days to source the bits. Though for some folks, its about the chase.
had a chat earlier today with a customer service rep at Brownells about their retro rifles - the two that im most interested in, the BRN 16A1 and the XBRN 177E2 are both on backorder from their 3rd party supplier

according to the rep the last 15 months dealing with the COVID has really put a delay for getting them back in stock

i'll probably hang for a bit and see if they come back in - i've got notifications set up on 2 different e-mails accounts once they're back in stock

i asked about their kits and the same issue - parts on backorder
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
I! hate! you! FalconLair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I hate you FalconLair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
They hate you FalconLair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta
HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-12-2021, 4:28 AM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 11,967
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

In stock, right now, in Phoenix.

https://tombstonetactical.com/produc...product_detail

It's a CR, which may or may not be as good as a Colt made in the years it was supplying the DOD, but it's still a Colt, and certainly good enough for what you want. It's also got those great lower markings.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-12-2021, 4:37 PM
wireless's Avatar
wireless wireless is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,130
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

https://atlanticfirearms.com/colt-m1...ts-kit-cal-223

Atlantic has original kits in stock. You'd need other parts.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-12-2021, 5:47 PM
alpha_romeo_XV's Avatar
alpha_romeo_XV alpha_romeo_XV is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego North County
Posts: 2,162
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
https://atlanticfirearms.com/colt-m1...ts-kit-cal-223

Atlantic has original kits in stock. You'd need other parts.
I recall seeing those kits at the gun show 20 years ago for $200. The plastic only kits with the stock, grip and handguard were only $20. And you could pick through the kits and choose what suited your eye.

My hesitation would be 1. how to pin the gas block/sight onto the new barrel (solution is buy barrel with sight already pinned) 2. how to get a lower to look at worn as the upper 3. considering the wear of those parts the only advantage of the kit is the period correct upper - because you can buy every part new for less than that total.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-13-2021, 11:05 AM
brianm767's Avatar
brianm767 brianm767 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Clovis, Ca
Posts: 2,385
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
Check GunBroker for m16a1 uppers. Picked mine up on there and bought a colt A1 butt stock assembly on GunBroker and colt lpk. I used a regular modern receiver cause I believe the only difference between an m16a1 receiver and a modern receiver is the extra reinforcement on the receiver extension.
The front machining under the take down pin holes is also different, the A1 is a 90 degree angle between the fwd mag well and the take down pins, the A2 is beefed up there and doesn't make a 90 degree angle, it strengthend the take down pin lugs. Also A1's come in full fence, partial fence and slab side. This is the raised portions around the mag release.

But yes, the most obvious and dead give away is the beefed up rear extension lug.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:03 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical