Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-04-2019, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

Default Artillery Luger

One of these has been on my wish list for many years now and for one reason or the other, I have never been able to score one....until today. Found this at my local Cabelas of all places and after some shrewd negotiation, I was able to strike a deal with them and brought it home.

This DWM Artillery Luger is dated 1916 and all numbers match (including the grip panels) with the exception of the unnumbered side plate and the incorrect 1937 aluminum base magazine. Overall it is in excellent condition with a bright bore with strong rifling. It's hard to see from the pictures, but I would rate the finish at a strong 95-96% with excellent straw on the trigger etc..

Pictured with my 1937 S/42 Luger
Old 12-04-2019, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Can it be fitted with the stock? Is there a holster?
Old 12-04-2019, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I was looking at a Persian artillery luger. Can't pull the trigger (no pun intended) yet.

Nice purchase.
Old 12-04-2019, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Can it be fitted with the stock? Is there a holster?
Yes it has the stock lug. I didn't get a holster or stock with it, but repop sets can be had for around $140 ish. Not all of them were issued with the stock and original holsters seem to run around $350-$400 and up and genuine stocks are about the same. There is a couple of original stock/holster/cleaning rod sets available, but the sellers are asking over a grand for them, so I think I'll wait a while and see what turns up. Heck, it only took me forty years to find the right deal on the gun, I suppose I can be patient and wait for the right deal on the accessories.
Old 12-04-2019, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

I imagine with those sights and barrel it must be fantastically accurate with good ammunition.
Old 12-04-2019, 4:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pointy corners on rear sight.
Would not bang.

Awesome gun and congratulations on getting a bucket list item, especially one like this!
Wow!
Old 12-04-2019, 4:55 PM

Nice. I want one.
Old 12-04-2019, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Nice.

I've always lusted for them and I recently came up on one too. I offered some SKSs in trade before I did my homework. Not much ducats in the SKSs, but the Luger was reblued with repo sock & holster. I later rescinded my offer but would have went for it and not been hurt. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 PM

I almost bought a mixmaster one with a questionable Swiss logo, but the seller declined my reasonable offer for a "shooter" and it sold for almost twice what I offered.
Old 12-05-2019, 4:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaffo View Post
I almost bought a mixmaster one with a questionable Swiss logo, but the seller declined my reasonable offer for a "shooter" and it sold for almost twice what I offered.
There seems to be some sort of mystique surrounding the sellers (and buyers) of these LP08's as I frequently see them offered at ridiculously high prices even when they have zero finish or have been badly refinished. That is one of the reasons that I never acquired one until now. While I certainly didn't get this one given to me, I was able to negotiate the price down to what I thought was fair due to the unnumbered side plate and WWII magazine.

One thing for anyone interested in a Luger or Broomhandle to remember, is that the ever so anal krauts numbered every small part. Things like a mismatched firing pin or toggle pivot on a Luger will put a significant hit on the value. It is therefore very important that any potential buyer should be allowed to disassemble the gun in question and check for matching numbers. If I can't take it apart, I walk away and continue my search.
Old 12-05-2019, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

Nice score highpower. Great examples of these rarely show up (without having to get a 2nd mortgage). One of my bucket-list weapons.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM

Good advice about all matching and price. You really have to check every small part.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

That is a pretty artillery piece.

Nice find.
Old 12-05-2019, 1:07 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

That's a beauty. I didn't think Cabelas negotiated. I saw something there recently that I would like but it was quite expensive.
Old 12-05-2019, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfact View Post
That's a beauty. I didn't think Cabelas negotiated. I saw something there recently that I would like but it was quite expensive.
Sometimes they do and other times they won't budge off their price. I actually went in to see if they still had the US&S 1911A1 that was in there the last time I visited. Unfortunately it was gone, but every time I go in I tend to browse through their stuff just in case I see something that interests me.

I had noticed this Luger about a month ago and was surprised to see it was still there. It had been moved to the back of the case in the gun library and I thought I'd take a shot (pun intended) at it. I was able to negotiate 10% off their asking price and wound up making the deal. It wasn't real cheap, but it was way under what I was seeing other examples of LP08's in similar condition go for.

I didn't go in there with the intention of buying anything except for the Switch and Signal if it was still available, but if I see a decent deal on a different gun that interests me I will usually pick it up if it is within my budget.
Old 12-05-2019, 3:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There are 14 on Gunbroker alone. 2 moving, 12 waiting for a bid. $1300-$7200.

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg
Old 12-05-2019, 5:00 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Sometimes they do and other times they won't budge off their price. I actually went in to see if they still had the US&S 1911A1 that was in there the last time I visited. Unfortunately it was gone, but every time I go in I tend to browse through their stuff just in case I see something that interests me.

I had noticed this Luger about a month ago and was surprised to see it was still there. It had been moved to the back of the case in the gun library and I thought I'd take a shot (pun intended) at it. I was able to negotiate 10% off their asking price and wound up making the deal. It wasn't real cheap, but it was way under what I was seeing other examples of LP08's in similar condition go for.

I didn't go in there with the intention of buying anything except for the Switch and Signal if it was still available, but if I see a decent deal on a different gun that interests me I will usually pick it up if it is within my budget.

Yep, that's what I was eye-balling.