Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default How to avoid this next time?

I was watching the below video and was thinking of how to avoid things from going from bad to worse (shooting at fleeing van full of kids), next time. I was thinking if the back up cops shot out one of her tires (preferably a front one) using a near contact shot (muzzle to rubber) when they first arrived (~12 min in) at least they would know the Bad Gal and kids weren't going far or fast. Would that be a good idea? Would that violate any law or department policy (going by your own dept's policies)? Would that be a good policy to implement?

Last edited by Paladin; 11-21-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I was watching the below video and was thinking of how to avoid things from going from bad to worse (shooting at fleeing van full of kids), next time. I was thinking if the back up cops shot out one of her tires (preferably a front one) using a near contact shot (muzzle to rubber) when they first arrived (~12 min in) at least they would know the Bad Gal and kids weren't going far or fast. Would that be a good idea? Would that violate any law or department policy (going by your own dept's policies)? Would that be a good policy to implement?

Not the best idea. A much simpler solution would have been to block her van in to prevent her from leaving. Then get everyone out of the van, patience is the key in these situation's, I've got all day despite not really wanting to deal with it. You'd be surprised at how fast people want to get out, when you induce just a bit of OC to the party.
Old 11-21-2018, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
... A much simpler solution would have been to block her van in to prevent her from leaving. ... You'd be surprised at how fast people want to get out, when you induce just a bit of OC to the party.
Old 11-21-2018, 1:35 PM

Haven't seen this video in quite some time. I agree that responding units should have blocked her in to prevent her escape. In the end, things evolve quickly in real life and sometimes you just don't/can't think of everything in the moment. Hopefully the state took those children and put her in a cage where she belongs.
Old 11-21-2018, 1:53 PM

Hopefully the cop shooting at the van is in a different profession as well.
Old 11-21-2018, 2:07 PM

Wow how dumb can you get, she turned a $150? fine into a felony?
Perhaps tasing the teen who attacked the first officer would have helped.
Old 11-21-2018, 2:29 PM

Number one thing g to avoid. Don’t be the absolute dumbest family in the world. Everything will be ok then

Also, she pulled into the wrong extended stay.
Old 11-21-2018, 2:55 PM

Stop sticks anyone?
Old 11-21-2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

Horrible policy to implement.

My gun does not come out to shoot a tire. That’s ridiculous.

As far as laws go:

Quote:
Any person who shall maliciously and willfully discharge a firearm at an inhabited dwelling house, occupied building, occupied motor vehicle, occupied aircraft, inhabited housecar, as defined in Section 362 of the Vehicle Code, or inhabited camper, as defined in Section 243 of the Vehicle Code, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for three, five, or seven years, or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term of not less than six months and not exceeding one year.
That would be the extreme end of the spectrum. PC 246.3 comes to mind before 246.

How to avoid it next time would be to have called for additional sooner. Giving the driver ample opportunity is fine. When the officer made the decision to arrest her and she decides to further solidify a good 148(a)(1) charge, then she gets dumped. If additional was called earlier and was already on scene, they would be able to detain the boy and other kids.