Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-20-2018, 7:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Shameless cross post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
ETA: All of you folk who've gotten CCWs under Gore might think about sending him a "Thank You" letter. While we may believe its our "2nd A right" to OC and/or CC, the CA state legislature and governor (who've kept us May Issue), and the state and federal courts (who haven't shot down May Issue or even the GC requirement), don't. Legally, Gore didn't have to change. So, really, if I were you, I'd thank him for changing his policy and issuing you a CCW.

As my mom used to say to me, "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."
Old 06-20-2018, 8:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

San Diego County Gun Owners have updated their CCW webpage with a new video explaining the application process and examples of successful Good Cause statements: https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

Here's the new video:
Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Congrats sir! Looks like it will take a full 90 days.

I thought they only call/verify the employment only.

Did SDSO actually call your employer?
They emailed my company yesterday to confirm that a document was in fact signed by our corporate attorney.

My 2nd interview was on 4/3/18. I called the SO on Monday for an update and they said the review board convenes next Thursday I will have a decision by 6/29. 85 days after 2nd interview. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-24-2018, 7:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantTexan View Post
So 84 days from 2nd interview to the letter today. Now just need to take the class!
Without going into so much detail so as to ID yourself, what was your Good Cause like?

ETA: 2 more questions:

(1) Do you know Sheriff Gore, either professionally or personally?

(2) Have you ever donated to Sheriff Gore's election campaign?

Last edited by Paladin; 06-24-2018 at 9:25 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 7:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning View Post
Not sure if this is the case: While not the sole good cause, work was my primary good cause, and the SDSO rep did not ask my employer whether I was "...approved by them to carry". Just received approval about 90 days from second interview.

Without going into so much detail so as to ID yourself, what was your Good Cause like?

ETA: 2 more questions:

(1) Do you know Sheriff Gore, either professionally or personally?

(2) Have you ever donated to Sheriff Gore's election campaign?

Last edited by Paladin; 06-24-2018 at 9:26 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up Got it!

Well, as the subject indicates, I got my CCW. It went to panel twice, 1 time before election and they did not approve but neither did they deny. Instead they asked for more information which I provided. They approved in the second panel. I took my class and picked up the license last week.

The total process was right around 90 days. I could not be happier with the way the clerks provided feedback and let me know what I would need for proof/evidence. They were very helpful!
Old 06-25-2018, 12:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker619 View Post
Well, as the subject indicates, I got my CCW. It went to panel twice, 1 time before election and they did not approve but neither did they deny. Instead they asked for more information which I provided. They approved in the second panel. I took my class and picked up the license last week.

The total process was right around 90 days. I could not be happier with the way the clerks provided feedback and let me know what I would need for proof/evidence. They were very helpful!
Congrats!!!

(1) Without going into so much detail so as to ID yourself, what was your Good Cause like?

(2) Do you know Sheriff Gore, either professionally or personally?

(3) Have you ever donated to Sheriff Gore's election campaign?
Old 06-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

I would say congrats but this is the way of life in many states. Open carry and conceal carry with no permit needed is what I am used to. It’s the way of life. The bull**** you have to go through to carry on California land is just not worth it. Interviews? Who does that? I have been open carrying for 20 years as a California resident in freestates as military and as a government employee. I conceal carried as well with absolutely no permit or interviews or any crap like that.

I am sorry but what California requires is just not needed for a permit. That’s 100% fact. I won’t debate or argue this.

Last edited by Endless; 06-25-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 1:50 PM

Applied today 6/25 - First available interview to start process is 10/16 - 3-1/2 months? Our right shall not be infringed???
Old 06-25-2018, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

How do they inform one if you have been approved, denied or they need to know more? Phone or letter?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-25-2018, 4:50 PM

they needed my employer phone so they called me.

Then my approval was a letter which you will need to provide to your instructor.
Old 06-26-2018, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Congrats!!!

(1) Without going into so much detail so as to ID yourself, what was your Good Cause like?

(2) Do you know Sheriff Gore, either professionally or personally?

(3) Have you ever donated to Sheriff Gore's election campaign?
Good cause was mostly around shooting matches and ranges 4-6 times per week and the quantity/value or guns, equipment and ammo being transported. I did also reference my job as Sr Director of a large financial company and what I am responsible for there. I was clear though that I would not be carrying at my job.

I have never met nor donated to Sheriff Gore.
Old 06-26-2018, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Good cause was mostly around shooting matches and ranges 4-6 times per week and the quantity/value or guns, equipment and ammo being transported. I did also reference my job as Sr Director of a large financial company and what I am responsible for there. I was clear though that I would not be carrying at my job.
Thx

Quote:
I have never met nor donated to Sheriff Gore.
Thx again. A few months ago some CGNers claimed that was required to get issued. Glad to hear it is not true. We need to "clear the air" about that issue.
Old 06-26-2018, 5:45 PM

Wow. I challenged Fake Paladin with his constant cheering for Ruby Ridge Gore and suddenly my comments are deleted? You know Gore was known for that same tactic on his FB page. He got sued for it and lost in court.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Probably that kind of debate belongs in another thread. More useful to keep this one on nuts and bolts CCW in SD.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-27-2018, 2:51 PM

Scheduled 1st interview just now, 16Oct as noted above.
Old 06-27-2018, 3:16 PM

Default So Far So Good

Timeline thus far for my San Diego County CCW saga:
4/24 called for appointment
6/7 1st appointment - not too encouraging - clerk made suggestions for improving good cause statement. Pretty tight lipped about Gore making good cause statement more restrictive since election results.
6/27 2nd appointment - clerk says good cause statement "looks good". Fingerprints, photo, livescan done and check written. You will know one way or the other in 90 days. Pretty much cut and dry - still no clues as to Gore's "new" policy on good cause statements (if in fact there is one). Guess only time will tell. Glanced at the clerk's schedule and it is full up with 1st, 2nd interviews and CCW issue appointments. So the SDSD office is VERY busy and I guess the only way we as a group are going to know which way the wind is blowing if for folks to relate their various experiences. Good luck to all.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm sure there are bears in Texas you can poke, Mr Shooter. It's just that we are stacking up CCW permits at this time. What's wrong with a little civility?
Old 06-30-2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
They emailed my company yesterday to confirm that a document was in fact signed by our corporate attorney.

My 2nd interview was on 4/3/18. I called the SO on Monday for an update and they said the review board convenes next Thursday I will have a decision by 6/29. 85 days after 2nd interview. Fingers crossed.
Any good news?
Old 07-03-2018, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Any good news?
Good news, I received my approval letter yesterday. I now have 30 days to complete the training and go in for the final issuance of my permit.

The letter was dated June 29, 2018, so it seems everyone is looking at a 85+ day turnaround time.

Now for the question that everyone is asking, the good cause statement.

The one major thing that the sheriff zeroed in on was my job duty to hire and fire employees. Everyone knows how aggressive employees (or perspective employees) can be when letting them go. I feel that this was the one item that really stood out on my statement because the sheriff background investigator called AND emailed my employer to make sure the statement was accurate.

Also included in my good cause statement were documented burglaries to my places of work, and all of the police reports from those break-ins. I also detailed working in high crime areas with valuable equipment and materials which are highly sought after for their scrap value (copper).

If you are in a management position; document everything. Make sure you have written correspondence to supervisors or employees detailing events when laying off/firing/hiring employees. The sheriff is looking for actual proof of your claims, and the burden of proof is on you.

Make sure that your statement is well-written, concise and has pertinent backup documentation, free from grammatical and spelling errors. Presentation and perception is key. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2018, 7:56 AM

Thanks for the update. Did they actually mail it vs call you to come get it? Mine went to board the same day as yours but haven’t heard anything either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-03-2018, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0to View Post
Thanks for the update. Did they actually mail it vs call you to come get it? Mine went to board the same day as yours but haven’t heard anything either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They mailed it. I have the preview function from the USPS for mail coming to my house, so I saw the letter got delivered before I even got home. The anticipation was killing me, so I called the sheriffs office before I got home anyway, and they wouldn't tell me if I was approved. All they said was that my application review was done, and I wasn't on the "denial list."
Old 07-03-2018, 12:35 PM

Does anyone know how often the review board meet? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
I am sorry but what California requires is just not needed for a permit. That’s 100% fact. I won’t debate or argue this.
It's not need in free states, but it's required in CA. You don't need to debate it, it's a fact.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 07-05-2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know how often the review board meet? Thanks.

I was told every two weeks.
Old 07-05-2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I was told every two weeks.
I was told the same, every two weeks.
Old 07-05-2018, 4:05 PM

yup
Old 07-05-2018, 4:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd bet anything these review board members would rather be doing something different.

Old 07-05-2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I'd bet anything these review board members would rather be doing something different.
Really? How much better does it get at work than having a meeting deciding who gets one or not.

Thankfully, we have staff that is dedicated to doing their job. How much fun do you think they have approving taxi licenses?
Old 07-05-2018, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Really? How much better does it get at work than having a meeting deciding who gets one or not.

Thankfully, we have staff that is dedicated to doing their job. How much fun do you think they have approving taxi licenses?
I guess. Four hours east and there is no board review to CCW. Just seems like if you were involved in such things it would seem pretty empty.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Letter of Approval

Got a letter of approval today, the letter was dated on July 6th, 86 days from the 2nd interview to be exact.

Now I just need to take the class.

For those who had taken the training class, any recommendation from the listed instructors; please PM me? Thanks.

Last edited by LoadedM333; 07-07-2018 at 1:58 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 6:11 PM

@LoadedM333 - Congrats man! I’m 85 days in today and no word yet. My GC was work related and no call to employer as well. We’ll see what happens this week and I’ll report back. 🙏🤞
Old 07-08-2018, 10:47 AM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
@LoadedM333 - Congrats man! I’m 85 days in today and no word yet. My GC was work related and no call to employer as well. We’ll see what happens this week and I’ll report back. 🤞

Thanks.

Did you get any calls from the background clerk? I got two calls, she was really asking what my job entails. I think she was trying to establish my GC.
They only called my employer to confirm/verify my employment, nothing about CCW.

I think you should get good news on Monday, at 85 days, your app should have gone to review board the same time as mine. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2018, 5:58 PM

I'm at 111 days with no letter...I'm checking my mail compulsively.

Went to panel on June 14...thinking I'm gonna call Licensing this week and ask.

Last edited by sdhbst; 07-08-2018 at 6:42 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 7:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhbst View Post
I'm at 111 days with no letter...I'm checking my mail compulsively.

Went to panel on June 14...thinking I'm gonna call Licensing this week and ask.
First time I've heard of it going that long. That is from when they live scanned you when you say "went to panel"? I thought I read once they have a within 90 day policy they must adhere to but I guess if they make up their own rules right?

Old 07-09-2018, 9:14 AM

I just got a call from the licensing division and I was approved. It took 87 days from my 2nd interview. The approval letter is being sent out today. Thank you SDCGO and to Calguns community!
Old 07-09-2018, 9:16 AM

That's 111 days from my interview (I only had one, they did the whole thing in one shot) until yesterday. Called this morning, and they said I'm in the after panel process and should hear something in the next week or two.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I just got a call from the licensing division and I was approved. It took 87 days from my 2nd interview. The approval letter is being sent out today. Thank you SDCGO and to Calguns community!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhbst View Post
That's 111 days from my interview (I only had one, they did the whole thing in one shot) until yesterday. Called this morning, and they said I'm in the after panel process and should hear something in the next week or two.
Maybe it's the whole thing in one shot that made it go longer, you would think it would be the opposite, but given the deluge of applicants this may become the norm.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I thought you would have good news today, congrats!