Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-29-2016, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Below is a post I made in the OC thread in the Concealed Carry Info forum. Usually cross-posting is bad form, but I think the folks reading this thread will find it worthwhile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
You'll hear sheriffs say they're just following the law, the courts say they have to follow the law which requires GC. Or they'll say the courts' said they have to ask for GC, or that they do not have to accept SD as GC.

Those are all true BUT the sheriffs use those statements to make it seem like the courts or law says that they CANNOT accept SD as GC. That is FALSE. After the Peruta loss (as it stands now), and state law, sheriffs & chief CAN accept SD as GC and issue CCWs.

The antis are all hooting and hollering that Sac and OC are "handing out CCWs like candy" because each has issued almost 10,000 CCWs. Well, IIRC, OC has a pop of 3M. 1/4th of that is 750k who are <18, so that's 2.25M left. If just OC issued at the national average (6.06%), just OC should have issued 136,350 CCWs!

Add in Sac (1.5M pop), and that would add another ~65,000 CCWers. So, with just those 2 counties issuing at the average rate for the USA, we'd have 200,000 CCWers.

Instead our entire state has only issued ~80,000 CCW.
Old 08-29-2016, 5:28 PM

All I know is the Sheriff of Mendocino County thanks us for having a CCW and carrying a concealed weapon. AND, he issues for GC of "Self Defense" or "Personal Protection" which we (wife and I) have used for the past 15 years or so successfully.

Dan
Old 08-29-2016, 5:30 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Uploaded the updated Table with more info as discussed/requested above.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 08-29-2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Uploaded the updated Table with more info as discussed/requested above.
BTW, thanks for the outstanding work, this is really great!

Also, what is the tiny green island at about 7:30 from LA County?

Dan
Old 08-29-2016, 5:54 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Santa Barbara Isl. (Small Green) and San Nicholas Isl. (Bigger Green). Both are green since they are part of Ventura County. All the rest of the Channel Islands are Red since they fall under either LA or Santa Barbara Counties.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...72608333775134
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 08-29-2016, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Santa Barbara Isl. (Small Green) and San Nicholas Isl. (Bigger Green). Both are green since they are part of Ventura County. All the rest of the Channel Islands are Red since they fall under either LA or Santa Barbara Counties.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...72608333775134
Very, very cool, thanks! Never even knew they existed before. Probably not too many bad guys out there but you never know.

Dan
Old 08-29-2016, 6:15 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Correction: for every 1,000 "Adults."

You've got to reduce that by ~25% to eliminate those under 18 y.o. Recalculate and it rounds to 0.3%

Acc to John Lott, PhD, the current average in the USA is 6.06% of the adult pop.: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=2814691
Well... if we're going to eliminate minors, then we need to eliminate felons, illegals, and others who are prohibited persons.

There... I got us up to 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-29-2016, 6:17 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
Probably not too many bad guys out there but you never know.
There's a few, but they tend to hang closer to Catalina and San Clemente due to the larger number of recreational boaters.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-29-2016, 8:06 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Well... if we're going to eliminate minors, then we need to eliminate felons, illegals, and others who are prohibited persons.

There... I got us up to 10%
A co-worker brought the "prohibited persons" idea up to me today. If I could find a good source for number by County I suppose I could factor it in.

FYI, I'm not sure illegals are "prohibited persons". Wasn't there a Court ruling about that last year?

Old 08-30-2016, 7:15 PM

I thought Kings was shall issue, I have some relatives there that all got theirs pretty easily for Self Defense. Maybe they just are very lenient on 'good cause'?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 9:30 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSGJA View Post
I thought Kings was shall issue, I have some relatives there that all got theirs pretty easily for Self Defense. Maybe they just are very lenient on 'good cause'?
Just as an FYI, the colors on the Map and table match, thus NOTE 3 from the table also applies to the Map. The colors are all about meeting the Sheriffs requirement for "Good Cause".

The KCSD Web Sight states the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSD Web Sight
Citizens who show good cause for carrying a concealed weapon may be eligible. The Sheriff, giving consideration to the reasons stated in the application, will determine good cause. Good cause may be determined by a clear and present danger to the life of, or threat of great bodily injury to, the applicant, spouse, children, or other member of the applicant's immediate family, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm.
Thats pretty open ended, but doesn't say "Self Defense = Good Cause". If your relatives/friends in Kings can cite you some examples of "Self Defense" alone being sufficient good cause, we can look at adjusting the color on the map. PM me if you have questions or info that you want to share privatley.

Last edited by baggss; 08-30-2016 at 9:35 PM..
Old 09-02-2016, 7:18 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Updated the Table to link to an online version that clickable hyperlinks. Hyperlinked map coming soon.

Old 09-05-2016, 6:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
ETA: LA is the worst (greatest portion of it's "circle" is below the zero line), and Shasta is the best (at ~4.5% of the adult pop., even though the national average, not best, is 6% of the adult pop.)

From the Sac Bee article:

2 things should be pointed out to make sure everyone is on the same page.

(1) The Sac Bee calls counties where 65 - 100% of adults are Dems "liberal counties" and ones where 50% - 65% are Dem "conservative counties." NOT A SINGLE COUNTY IN CA HAS A REPUB MAJORITY!!!

(2) Do NOT confuse the state average of CCW issuance (3/1,000 adults), with our national average of CCWers (6.06% of adults, per John Lott, PhD in June 2016). 6.06% = ~61/1,000 adults, off of the scale of that graphic. Thus NOT A SINGLE COUNTY IN CA ISSUES ANYWHERE NEAR THE NUMBER OF CCWs AS THE NATIONAL AVERAGE!!! The closest is Shasta at ~43/1,000 -- almost 1/3 fewer than the national average. In some states, like IN, they average 15% of adults. That's 150/1,000 and would require a scale more than 3x as tall as the one used.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-05-2016 at 6:17 PM..
Old 09-13-2016, 1:12 AM

Well done! Good overall view of progress made in a decade or so. Wish it was more, of course. It's better.
Old 09-13-2016, 8:56 AM

Thanks for putting this together.
Old 10-15-2016, 4:00 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Bump.

Oct 2016 updates posted.

Old 10-16-2016, 9:31 AM

FYI: I just realized an error on your map. Ripon and Escalon are in San Joaquin County, not Stanislaus County.
Old 10-16-2016, 7:07 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblr View Post
FYI: I just realized an error on your map. Ripon and Escalon are in San Joaquin County, not Stanislaus County.

Thanks for the heads up! Fixed!

Old 10-21-2016, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

It would be nice if it were true that 13+ percent of the residents of Butte County had permits to carry. It would be nice to be able to post at the entrances to Butte County that it is the most armed County in the State. But, unfortunately that is simply not the case. While we have a pro gun sheriff and there are approximately 3000 permits, your population numbers appear to be off by a factor or 10.
Old 10-21-2016, 9:21 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
It would be nice if it were true that 13+ percent of the residents of Butte County had permits to carry. It would be nice to be able to post at the entrances to Butte County that it is the most armed County in the State. But, unfortunately that is simply not the case. While we have a pro gun sheriff and there are approximately 3000 permits, your population numbers appear to be off by a factor or 10.
Good catch. Corrected and uploaded (I left the leading 2 off the 2015 population of Butte County).

Thanks!

Last edited by baggss; 10-21-2016 at 9:25 PM..
Old 10-21-2016, 9:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
If you are talking about the graphic in my post #53, it is NOT percent (per 100), but per 1,000, and the population is # of adults, not total population.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-21-2016 at 9:25 PM..
Old 10-25-2016, 7:52 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you are talking about the graphic in my post #53, it is NOT percent (per 100), but per 1,000, and the population is # of adults, not total population.
He was not. The number in my table in post #1 (for his county) was missing a number. 225,000 vice 25,000.....

Old 11-04-2016, 10:07 PM

I talked to the Solano county sheriff tonight. He said they currently have 1900 permits issued. Quite the increase!
Old 11-05-2016, 9:10 PM

Thanks for the hard work baggss. I was discussing the results with my family. Surprisingly is was good for a family discussion.
Old 11-05-2016, 9:19 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
Thanks for the hard work baggss. I was discussing the results with my family. Surprisingly is was good for a family discussion.
Yup yup yup.

Not easy to keep up with this.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 7:36 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
Quote:
Yup yup yup.

Not easy to keep up with this.
Thanks for the kind words.

I have to give credit to the original producer of the map (I used his last update as the basis for my first version) which was kept on the now defunct CalCCW forums. He apparently retired and moved up to the mountains and the map languished for over a year with no updates. I decided to pick it up after creating the table, and CGN member Paladin contacted me and has been assisting me. He assisted the original producer (who's name I do not know) with it when was at CalCCW. He's been a huge help and we continue to work on improving and updating the map as a team of sorts (he's been at it far longer than I and has lots of background information on how things have changes over the years).

The table was just my own idea since I, like many here, had the same questions about CCW statewide and in various counties. I just decided to start putting together stats from existing sources to get a better picture of what the actual numbers in the state looked like.

Now if only I could get it made into a sticky....

Last edited by baggss; 11-07-2016 at 7:39 PM..
Old 12-13-2016, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

Smile

i am surprised as there are a couple counties that one would think would be a will issue county.

maybe they are just

not ask,

not look,

not tell.

counties?
Old 12-13-2016, 3:33 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

It's always possible. We look at most counties published policies and then comments from folks here on CalGuns to fill in the gaps. If you come across anything in other forums or other sites that implies that the color of any county would be different from what we have it as, please let us know. The map is done in my spare time and we can't look everywhere.

Last edited by baggss; 12-13-2016 at 5:00 PM..
Old 12-13-2016, 4:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The last best number for Ventura County is 1554 permits as of 31 Dec 2015. Thats out of a County population of 830,536 people. I'll let you do the math....
I saw a figure somewhere that VC is now up to almost 2,600 CCWs in 2016?

Old 12-13-2016, 4:12 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
If you can find the source I'd like to see it. Sheriff Dean has been slowly but steadily issuing as long as you meet the morals requirements and pass the the background check.

Old 12-14-2016, 7:20 AM

I was at a school board meeting while they were discussing SB707 and whether they would/should allow CCW holders to carry on school campus with the Superintendent's permission.

Tulare County Sheriff was in attendance and mentioned that there were 13,000 CCW permit holders in Tulare County. I understand the graph shows 2015 stats and this meeting was in September of 2016, but I wouldn't guess that there is that much of a rise in issued permits in the last 9 months. Maybe there is, maybe I misheard him.
Old 12-14-2016, 6:07 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kevin View Post
I was at a school board meeting while they were discussing SB707 and whether they would/should allow CCW holders to carry on school campus with the Superintendent's permission.

Tulare County Sheriff was in attendance and mentioned that there were 13,000 CCW permit holders in Tulare County. I understand the graph shows 2015 stats and this meeting was in September of 2016, but I wouldn't guess that there is that much of a rise in issued permits in the last 9 months. Maybe there is, maybe I misheard him.
I suppose it's possible. The last good data we have is from 2014 so it's 2 years old. Thats a lot of permits though. If you hear anything else let us know.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
i am surprised as there are a couple counties that one would think would be a will issue county.
Please state which counties you would think would readily issue but are not and I will tell you what I know about them.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kevin View Post
Remember, the Muslim terrorists' attack in San Bernardino was a year ago. After that (and after the San Berdo sheriff came out and called for more people to apply for CCWs), there was a HUGE backlog of apps. I'm guessing most of those apps have gotten approved in the past 3 months with more to get approval over the next 3 months.

Whenever there's a major terrorist attack where a CCW could help, we CGNers should ourselves and encourage our family & friends to call anti sheriffs and say we want them to issue CCWs more liberally. 42 states do it and have no problems. 45 out of 58 CA counties readily issue and also have no problems. The courts allow, do not mandate accepting SD for GC, so they're not a barrier either.
Old 01-02-2017, 7:08 PM

Really good map and table you've made here.

However, I need to add some info. In Kern self-defense alone is not an acceptable good cause. You must give more or you will be denied. So, Kern should be light green not dark. It's still easy to get a CCW and they want to issue them. It just takes a tad more thought than self-defense. I am a CCW instructor in Kern and this info was straight from the deputy in charge of the CCW program for Kern. Some IAs might issue for self-defense only, but those would be the police chiefs in some individual cities. Even at that, I don't know any.

The number of active licenses in Kern in 2016 was 8,014. This was taken off the sheriff's website: http://www.kernsheriff.com/AdminServ...s/default.aspx

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 01-02-2017, 7:19 PM

I am interested in the "*Redding" in Shasta county. I live in Redding and got my CCW issued through Shasta county. I am unaware of the city issuing CCWs at this time. Shasta (including Redding as far as I know) is a solid green. Is there info that you have found that I should know about?

Edit: Also, I forgot to thank you for the awesome work putting this together.

Last edited by scottyb; 01-02-2017 at 7:21 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 01-02-2017, 7:44 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I am interested in the "*Redding" in Shasta county. I live in Redding and got my CCW issued through Shasta county. I am unaware of the city issuing CCWs at this time. Shasta (including Redding as far as I know) is a solid green. Is there info that you have found that I should know about?

Edit: Also, I forgot to thank you for the awesome work putting this together.
I may have old info. I believe at one time they did issue and there were a few threads about it for a while.

I plan on removing Redding in the upcoming January 2017 Map update.

Let me know if you hear anything different. It's hard to keep track of who does what sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
Really good map and table you've made here.

However, I need to add some info. In Kern self-defense alone is not an acceptable good cause. You must give more or you will be denied. So, Kern should be light green not dark. It's still easy to get a CCW and they want to issue them. It just takes a tad more thought than self-defense. I am a CCW instructor in Kern and this info was straight from the deputy in charge of the CCW program for Kern. Some IAs might issue for self-defense only, but those would be the police chiefs in some individual cities. Even at that, I don't know any.

The number of active licenses in Kern in 2016 was 8,014. This was taken off the sheriff's website: http://www.kernsheriff.com/AdminServ...s/default.aspx
I'll take look at Kern and see what I can up with. Thanks for the link to the CCW stats!

Old 01-02-2017, 7:52 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I'll take look at Kern and see what I can up with. Thanks for the link to the CCW stats!
I had heard sometime last year that Kern wanted some kind of justification, and really liked anything related to employment.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2017, 7:56 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I had heard sometime last year that Kern wanted some kind of justification, and really liked anything related to employment.
I'm also looking at a revision of the definition of the colors. Something closer to what the old map had. Since it seems that Kern issues readily, it may be that simple.

Perhaps change Dark Green to: "CCW easily obtainable for Regular Citizens" or some such...

Last edited by baggss; 01-02-2017 at 7:58 PM..
Old 01-02-2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
I may have old info. I believe at one time they did issue and there were a few threads about it for a while.

I plan on removing Redding in the upcoming January 2017 Map update.

Let me know if you hear anything different. It's hard to keep track of who does what sometimes!
No doubt. It could be full time job, for sure. As of right now, I don't believe Redding city is an issuing agency for CCWs, only Shasta County. I will do some digging and let you know if I find out different. But, living in Redding and recently having my CCW issued via the Shasta County Sheriff, I would lean the same way you already are with removing Redding in your next update.