Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 03-14-2022, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Talking Henry Big Boy Model X - Wood stock and hand guard project

Update: Did the install and love the result.

For full details see this post in the thread

Picture

Original thread start:
I'm looking to upgrade the furniture on my Big Boy Model X 357 to wood. The synthetic stock is fine, but looking to make it a bit nicer as I have other rifles fitting the "beater" role.

From what I have read the 45-70 stock will fit the Big Boy Model X.
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/stee...-70-side-gate/

Can get the stock and hand guard from Henry
https://henrypride.com/collections/r...30945008255036

From what I can tell the fitting screw is in the same location (not 100% sure), but given that the MLok options seem universal.
https://rangerpointstore.com/Henry-MLOK-handguard

But before I even think about starting, I'm stuck on finding the hand guard front fitment metal clasp (it's not a band) - not sure what it is called or where to get it.

Swapping the furniture seems like tricky project, but need to figure out the last part of the puzzle first before I can even attempt to do it.

What is the part called that hold the hand guard in place on the 45-70, which is not the complete band as on some models?
Also where would be a place to source it?

I may need a gunsmith in the Bay Area to fit it once I can actually find the parts, which will also be a good recommendation for Henry rifles.

Last edited by FNGGlock; 04-09-2022 at 2:06 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 03-14-2022, 4:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did you call Henry yet.

I thought about doing same thing with a .357mag big boy x. Henry told me it would be an easy swap and pointed me to the correct furniture set to order.
Old 03-14-2022, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Calling the company that made the item you’re modifying is usually the best start.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 03-14-2022, 7:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I called Henry early this year and they were just stating no luck on wood furniture.
Old 03-14-2022, 8:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can upgrade....you just need to get the right person at there CS

MLC, First 3
Old 03-15-2022, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonfan View Post
Did you call Henry yet.

I thought about doing same thing with a .357mag big boy x. Henry told me it would be an easy swap and pointed me to the correct furniture set to order.

Good to hear Henry is being helpful to it's customers in wanting to modify/customize their products. I think it's fair to say a lot of other companies would not be so interested or encouraging.
OP- if you pull this off post some pics. I too have a Henry X in .357 and would love to see what it looks like with wood furniture.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 03-15-2022, 8:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Henry offers fancy figured walnut furniture for some models like my Golden Boy. They charge $250 for it. Call them.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:59 AM

I bought this:

https://henrypride.com/collections/r...duction-models

Got the all weather version of the stock. At first I had a midwest industries mlok rail. Looked cool, but I just didn't dig it.

Put the wood fore end on. Called Henry and told them I needed a barrel band. I forget which one I asked for, had to clearance it with files. Re-blued the band where i filed it down. Will try to post a pic later.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2022, 1:48 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Henry offers fancy figured walnut furniture for some models like my Golden Boy. They charge $250 for it. Call them.
Did you get it? I was thinking about it.

Henry has treated me really well guys, they aren't difficult at all. If you ask 'em nice they'll usually toss in a little swag too.
Old 03-15-2022, 2:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by North86 View Post
I bought this:

https://henrypride.com/collections/r...duction-models

Got the all weather version of the stock. At first I had a midwest industries mlok rail. Looked cool, but I just didn't dig it.

Put the wood fore end on. Called Henry and told them I needed a barrel band. I forget which one I asked for, had to clearance it with files. Re-blued the band where i filed it down. Will try to post a pic later.

Good luck!
Great thanks!
Would love to see a pic of your setup.

My issues is with the barrel band, as the one used for the 45-70 doesn't band over the barrel itself. I guess it is still called a barrel band then. Does your go over the barrel or just tuck underneath like this?
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/stee...-70-side-gate/
Old 03-15-2022, 4:56 PM

Pix attached.

The wood is really nice. I have some wax on it, so you may notice some smudges. And yes, the barrel band does not go around the barrel.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henry 1.jpg (19.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg henry 2.jpg (19.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-15-2022, 8:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks, good info - will ask for a barrel band similar to yours.

Looks great! I'm looking at the brown wood stocks like the 45-70 models.

Will give them a call next week or so.
Old 03-16-2022, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP, check out this thread..

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/W...y-X/47-528916/

MLC, First 3
Old 03-16-2022, 9:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Great info thanks!
Old 03-17-2022, 12:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGGlock View Post
Great info thanks!
It sure does look a lot better with that dark wood.

MLC, First 3
Old 03-17-2022, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It sure does look a lot better with that dark wood.
Definitely! From that thread it seems that a lot of people are doing the same thing, perhaps Henry will make wood an option on the Big Boy X while keeping the other features such as the threaded barrel, larger loop, side loading gate (seems like they have pretty much added the side loading gate to most models now).

I am planning on also swapping my sling to a nice leather one once I upgrade the furniture. Will give it a more classic look and feel.

Only modern item left will be a small Holosun 507 red dot, as honestly open sights doesn't work that well with my eye sight any more.
Old 03-17-2022, 3:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Only modern item left will be a small Holosun 507 red dot, as honestly open sights doesn't work that well with my eye sight any more.
I hear that. I have to be very selective these days. I do like Bullseye ghost ring rear sights and of course red dots/scopes ..

MLC, First 3
Old 03-18-2022, 8:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I broke down and put a Vortex 2 x 7 scope on my Big Boy 357. Got a deal at $113 for it. Henry sells a good mount for it.

357 ammo is very expensive now so it made sense with my poor eyesight with irons.

One thing you learn is getting the target AND sight in focus is for those with good eyesight. For those without, even a 1 x 8 scope will allow the shooter to get both target and reticle in focus at the same time on x1 power.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Finally got round to calling Henry today. Parts are on order, ordered the stock from the accessory department, they send a request to the factory to ship me the fore end cap for the replacement stock. The factory called to ask which Henry model I have now, as apparently they need to ship the right end cap and screw(s). Will see when all of it arrives. May need to do a quick write up if I take pictures of the steps.

In the meant time had to take it to the range to zero it for AE 158gr JSP. These have more power than the Norma 158gr FMJ. Zeroed it at 25yds (not much shift from the previous Norma). Was spot on at 50yds and minimal drop at 100yds (1" or so, which doesn't matter with just a red dot). The Normas do drop over 2" at 100yds as they seem a bit weak. The good news was that the Buffalo Bore 180gr XTP and HC was really close to the AE 158gr zero.
Old 04-05-2022, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Finally got round to calling Henry today. Parts are on order, ordered the stock from the accessory department, they send a request to the factory to ship me the fore end cap for the replacement stock. The factory called to ask which Henry model I have now, as apparently they need to ship the right end cap and screw(s). Will see when all of it arrives. May need to do a quick write up if I take pictures of the steps.

In the meant time had to take it to the range to zero it for AE 158gr JSP. These have more power than the Norma 158gr FMJ. Zeroed it at 25yds (not much shift from the previous Norma). Was spot on at 50yds and minimal drop at 100yds (1" or so, which doesn't matter with just a red dot). The Normas do drop over 2" at 100yds as they seem a bit weak. The good news was that the Buffalo Bore 180gr XTP and HC was really close to the AE 158gr zero.
FNG, are you going to handload for the Henry .357? If so, I have a 180gr load you may like.

MLC
Old 04-05-2022, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I think it's going to be pretty easy install. Looking forward to see this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
FNG, are you going to handload for the Henry .357? If so, I have a 180gr load you may like.

MLC
Its a great load.

https://missouribullet.com/details.p...y=10&keywords=

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 04-05-2022 at 10:20 AM..
Old 04-05-2022, 7:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

MLC
Maybe one day, but don’t have the time to setup a reload bench.
Old 04-09-2022, 1:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Talking Stock installed

Got the wood stock installed today. Had to take a picture with a classic S&W 27.

Installation is pretty straight forward.

You can look at this video to get an idea, but I will list the steps for this install below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCDmZpRFgoE

This thread that golfish posted was very helpful as well.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/W...y-X/47-528916/

Step1: Call Henry Customer Service and order the spare stock set
Part #H10-200

Step 2: While ordering the stock ask the customer service rep to also order the end cap for the stock. In my case they passed it to the factory, and the factory shipped it for free to me. A rep from the factory called me to verify that I was putting the stock on a Big Boy Model X 357 mag, apparently the end caps can differ for the Model X you have.
Parts they shipped were - 1 x H12-42 End Cap and 2 x H9-66 Screws

Step 3: Put some oil on the front mag tube holder where the feed tube goes in, the wedge that goes into the barrel is here I put the oil on both sides of the barrel, this supposedly helps to make it easier to hammer out the front tube holder.

Step 4: Undo the 2 screws on the side of the handguard and tap it to the front of the barrel as per the YouTube video.

Step 5: Now place the rifle on it's side with the ejection port facing down. Use a similar setup as the Youtube video and give it a few good whacks to dislodge the feeding tube wedge from the barrel. I keep my feeding tube assembled during this process to make more robust. Do the same as the video.

Step 6: Unlike the Youtube video I could pull the inner feeding tube and end cap assembly on the feeding tube by hand. No need to tap it out for me. Once that is off, you can tap the hand guard towards the muzzle and remove it by hand. There is no need to remove the outer feeding tube form the rifle like the video.

Step 7: The wedge that holds the handguard could be removed by hand in my case. If you need to tap out, do it towards the ejection port side.

Put the new handgaurd on and pay attention to the direction, it can only go one way. Simple to figure out.

Step 8: Place the wedge back into the barrel once you pushed the new handguard into the receiver. This may take a bit of wiggling to get it in, was bit tight on my rifle with the wood hand guard. Fit the new end cap on the handguard loosely by sliding down on the feeding tube and barrel.

Step 9: This was the hardest part for my install. Place the feeding tube end cap on the feeding tube and then tap it into the barrel. Again I left the inner feeding tube in the end cap to support the end cap. Make sure to to insert on the ejection port side and tap to the other side. It took a bit of adjustment to align the wedge with the barrel slot before I could tap it back in place.

Step 10: Tap the hand guard end cap in place and tighten it with the 2 new screws to the wedge that goes into the barrel.

Step 11: Easiest part of the install. Undo the top screw on the stock by the hammer, remove it and simply pull the stock from the receiver by hand. Insert new Woodstock in the same manner and tighten the screw.

Voila!! You now have a real sweet looking Henry Big Boy "Model Wood X". I hope Henry offers it as a future option, as I like the the side gate, threaded barrel and shorter barrel (no need for 20" with 357).

Last edited by FNGGlock; 04-09-2022 at 2:03 PM..
Old 04-09-2022, 3:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
l

Voila!! You now have a real sweet looking Henry Big Boy "Model Wood X". I hope Henry offers it as a future option, as I like the the side gate, threaded barrel and shorter barrel (no need for 20" with 357).
"Model Wood X" I like it....

I think I speak for a lot of lever guys when I say that it looks a lot better. Henry uses some really nice walnut. I like the checkering pattern

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 04-09-2022 at 3:34 PM..
Old 04-09-2022, 4:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
"Model Wood X" I like it....

I think I speak for a lot of lever guys when I say that it looks a lot better. Henry uses some really nice walnut. I like the checkering pattern
The wood looks much better in person than the picture. I love the way it feels as well, so much better than the synthetic stock.

When I originally got the Henry I didn’t mind the synthetic stock as I figured it will be a fun gun and probably get beat a bit. However since shooting it a number of times I changed my mind, too nice a rifle to beat on.

Seems like it is a popular request with Henry CS, as they understood what I was trying to do. Won’t be surprised if it becomes a new model in the future.
Old 04-11-2022, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

That came out really nice. Excellent decision.

MLC
Old 04-11-2022, 6:00 PM

Why didn't you just get the steel Big Boy? It comes looking just like that. What makes a model X different other than the stock?
Old 04-11-2022, 6:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pt View Post
Why didn't you just get the steel Big Boy? It comes looking just like that. What makes a model X different other than the stock?
Which model Henry is like his?

I think he said that after a while of holding the plastic he just didn't like it

MLC, First 3
Old 04-11-2022, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

FNGGlock, is your tube in the "white"? Or just the pic? Looks neat in the pic.

MLC
Old 04-11-2022, 7:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pt View Post
The X is smaller and lighter than the std steel, it is similar in dimension and weight to the large loop steel. The X also has a threaded barrel. Further look carefully at the lever loop and rear stock, the grip is different. Besides when I started looking the Big Boy steel didn't come with a side loading gate.

The X comes with fiber optic sights, but a moot point since I use a red dot.

Quote:
FNGGlock, is your tube in the "white"? Or just the pic? Looks neat in the pic.

MLC
The tube is copper, just the lightning of the picture make it seem white.
Old 04-11-2022, 7:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That came out really nice. Excellent decision.

MLC
Thx, I do enjoy the way it feels and looks now. But I have to take it more carefully now, wasn't too concerned scratching the plastic stock
Old 04-11-2022, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The X also has a threaded barrel. Further look carefully at the lever loop and rear stock, the grip is different..
I didn't see the steel with a pistol grip. Maybe they make one and I didn't see it. That's why I asked d33pt, thought maybe he could link it. They make so many models, it's hard to keep track.

MLC, First 3
Old 04-11-2022, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I didn't see the steel with a pistol grip. Maybe they make one and I didn't see it. That's why I asked d33pt, thought maybe he could link it. They make so many models, it's hard to keep track.
When I got the X it was the only Big Boy with a side gate. I still don’t see other Big Boys with the pistol style grip on the stock apart from the X. Though I’m sure you can just fit the lever and stock to get it.

They do have a ton of models, which make me wonder if they should make a few factory selection options that can be ordered.
Old 04-12-2022, 7:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My Big Boy steel side gate came with beautiful lightly figured walnut. It's also very dark. I picked it out of 3 in the store.

Henry also sells the large loop lever as a replacement part. The carbine version comes stock with that.
Old 04-16-2022, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FYI for those doing this, it seems like whacking on the wedges shifted the POI on my red dot by about 1.5” lower at 25yds. Had to rezero it, and now it shoots great again.
Like how the wood feels when shooting.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
FYI for those doing this, it seems like whacking on the wedges shifted the POI on my red dot by about 1.5” lower at 25yds. Had to rezero it, and now it shoots great again.
Like how the wood feels when shooting.
/Necro

What mount did you use for the red dot? Great looking rifle
Old 12-13-2022, 3:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by North86 View Post
/Necro

What mount did you use for the red dot? Great looking rifle
Thanks.

I used the Henry EGW red dot mount
https://henrypride.com/products/henr...a8b94401&_ss=r

I would have opted to keep the fiber sights or even swap for classic buckhorn sights for the looks, but I shoot it so much better with a dot - also like the sight picture of dots better as it doesn't block the lower part of the target.