Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-28-2021, 9:07 AM

Default Rifle suggestion

Hey gents- I was doing some research on a new hunting rifle and found an article that said the number one grab was the new Sako S20. Not sure if $1600 is worth it or if anyone has heard good things? Any suggestions on a new setup would be aprecited thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2021, 9:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Okay, first a few questions:
Have you ever been hunting?
What do you plan on hunting?
How do you plan on hunting?
Do you already have any centerfire rifles; are you wed to a caliber?

Sure, Sako makes some fine and accurate rifles, I'm not familiar with the newest ones, but go for it if it's your money to burn! Don't skimp on quality glass.
Old 01-28-2021, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

I think we need more information, like what critters and where?

I have a couple of Tikkas. They're made alongside Sakos and cost less than half as much but probably shoot almost as well, but my hunter for anything larger than small deer is a Winchester 670 in .30-06.

Generally speaking, you can find rifles that shoot just fine for hunting at any price point. No need to spend thousands on the rifle and as much on glass. Unless you want to.

Now I'll step back and let others deluge you with their favorites.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Tikkas have a very good reputation and are relatively less expensive, however in my subjective opinion after handling one in person the stock felt flimsy. I will say that bolt is about as smooth as i could imagine. After comparing it with the Browning X-bolt side by side in person, I clearly preferred the feel and trigger of the Browning enough to overcome the bolt and price advantages the Tikka had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2021, 10:50 AM

Sakos are beautiful and very well done. But we are living in a great time where there aren't a lot of bad options, just ones that work better for individuals. I love my tikka (basically a sako with slightly worse finish and hardware), but it's not particularly pleasant to take to the range. If it were going to be my only rifle for instance, I might choose something else.

So like everyone said, details about who you are and what you want specifically it for would be helpful. And then we can all sit around arguing over minor details while hopefully providing useful information.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

If recoil isn't a issue for you, Browning BAR in 7mm Rem Mag works for me, but some don't like getting pushed around by a 7mm Mag. Deer, antelope, elk and moose, caribou all fall to the 7mm mag easily if you can put it in the boiler room. Of course I am prejudist toward the BAR. As for bolt actions I prefer the old sportized military rifles in 30-06 and 8mm mauser, and have several in each caliber.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 01-28-2021 at 2:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-2021, 12:29 PM

Hi JamesCC,

I didn't know that Sako has introduced a new line.

I have no knowledge of newer Sako rifles. I can tell you that Sako AV rifles are of the highest echelon. My opinion is Sako should have never, ever dc'd its AV line.

If you can find an AV in excellent condition, I'd suggest giving it a look.

I've yet to read a negative comment about Tikka. That's an option.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

The Tikka is a great rifle. I have 2 T3 Lites.

The .300 mag is a bit much off the bench but a pre-fit Limbsaver pad helps a lot. I don't shoot it a lot but I bagged my biggest mule deer with it.

The .243 is a dream. It is my primary rifle for CA hunting. It works on coyotes to hogs and shoots under a half inch with loads it likes. The .300 shoots under an inch so long as I don't shoot it more than a few rounds at a time off the bench. For game, that is not an issue.

I have more expensive and inexpensive rifles from custom to Savage, but none shoot better than the Tikkas.
Old 01-28-2021, 1:05 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
I love my tikka (basically a sako with slightly worse finish and hardware), but it's not particularly pleasant to take to the range. If it were going to be my only rifle for instance, I might choose something else.

So like everyone said, details about who you are and what you want specifically it for would be helpful. And then we can all sit around arguing over minor details while hopefully providing useful information.
Sorry to thread crap, here, but just curious what you find unpleasant about the Tikka.

I may be looking for a new bolt rifle, and Tikka (along with Sako and Browning X-bolt) are on my look-see list. I already have a Savage Model 10 in .223, but I'd like something in a heavier caliber for long range shooting (out to 500 yds, or so).

Also curious to see what the OP's needs are, and what recommendations he gets.
-P

Last edited by Preston-CLB; 01-28-2021 at 3:11 PM..
Old 01-28-2021, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
Sorry to thread crap, here, but just curious what you find unpleasant about the Tikka.

I may be looking for a new bolt rifle, and Tikka (along with Sako and Browning X-bolt) are on my look-see list. I already have a Savage Model 10 in .223, but I'd like something in a heavier caliber for long range shooting (out to 500 yds, or so).

Also curious to see what the P's needs are, and what recommendations he gets.
-P
I sent you a PM
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 01-28-2021, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There are a lot of different conditions that you can use different guns for.

For deer sized game, I have guns from six different manufacturers in eleven different models and 10 different calibers.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 01-28-2021, 2:37 PM

A 6lb rifle in 30-06 just isn't fun for me to shoot off the bench. It's not terrible or anything, but not super fun. Your milage of course may vary.
Old 01-28-2021, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Mossberg, Ruger, Savage or Remington
Old 01-28-2021, 4:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post

For deer sized game, I have guns from six different manufacturers in eleven different models and 10 different calibers.
You’re a sick man Frank. But I like that about you...

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-28-2021, 4:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCC View Post
Hey gents- I was doing some research on a new hunting rifle and found an article that said the number one grab was the new Sako S20. Not sure if $1600 is worth it or if anyone has heard good things? Any suggestions on a new setup would be aprecited thanks in advance.
It's just another marketing campaign gun.

Keep it simple and light weight, and if it costs $1600 it better have a beautiful piece of walnut!
Old 01-28-2021, 4:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

S20 is a nice rifle. 20" hunter version is under 8lbs i think.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...o-s20.6988014/

Last edited by theLBC; 01-28-2021 at 4:44 PM..
Old 01-28-2021, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

Used.PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 01-28-2021, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Now that’s good advice and exactly what we want to do! Splitting hairs and counting angels on pinheads.
Old 01-28-2021, 6:51 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
Now that’s good advice and exactly what we want to do! Splitting hairs and counting angels on pinheads.
And then finding the needle in the hay stack.
-p
Old 01-28-2021, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Consider Tikka. Made by Sako and a lot less expensive. Buttery smooth action!
Old 01-28-2021, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Okay, I just looked up the S20... no sir, I don’t care for it.

I’d be preferable to a Tikka, like the stainless/wood in .260 or 6.5x55 and a compact 4X scope (but I have odd preferences).
Old 01-29-2021, 9:28 AM

Spend as much or little as you want and buy what you like. Accurate shooting impresses more than cost of equipment

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 01-29-2021, 12:54 PM

Winchester model 70 featherweight in .308 with a Leopold 2x7x32 or 2.5x8x36, or a fixed 4 power and never have a second guess. I have many rifles and calibers and this is my favorite for all big game in North America(excluding big Bears). Varmint hunting is a different story. Do not get caught up in the Long Range fan club(over scoped and ballistic advantage of inches and a few foot pounds, at 600 yards do not mean chit), good hunting involves skilled stalking and shooting 400 yards or less and likely most all shots will be 150yds or less. Buy a good adjustable sling and learn to use it shooting in field positions(no bench shooting except finding accurate loads and sighting in.)
Old 01-30-2021, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sakos are beautiful and very well done. But we are living in a great time where there aren't a lot of bad options, just ones that work better for individuals. I love my tikka (basically a sako with slightly worse finish and hardware), but it's not particularly pleasant to take to the range. If it were going to be my only rifle for instance, I might choose something else.

That is so true. Mossberg Patriots are said to be good shooters, and I know for a fact that Savage 10/110's, Remington 700's, and Winchester 70's all are. Sakos and Tikkas regularly get high praise.

OP, pretty much any of today's rifles will be a good shooter, and a lot of the older ones will be as well. You don't have to spend $1,600 to get a good rifle setup. I did it for $750, and that's a complete Remington 700 setup with Leupold VX-1 scope, Harris bipod, and a sling. This setup will shoot accurately to 1,000 yards if you do your part. A Savage 10/110 setup will cost about the same. A used Winchester 70 as a basis (e. g. Black Shadow) would make the setup about $800. And yes, they all will shoot lights-out.

Here's an example of a $550 setup using a Winchester 70 that I bought from a fellow Virginian a few years ago (all laws followed, of course). The rifle came with the STD scope mount style and rings. I added the scope. The thing shoots just over 1/2 MOA with my handloads with my friend shooting it, 2/3 MOA to 1 MOA when I'm shooting it depending on my practice level. Pics at bottom.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1680825

So, you don't *have* to spend $1,600 for a good hunting rifle, unless you just want to. :-)
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

Last edited by Cowboy T; 01-30-2021 at 8:46 AM..
Old 01-30-2021, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

Irrespective to what people have said and many of the other rifles are very good. If you want the S20 you are good to go as you can configure it in a few different ways from sake.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
That is so true. Mossberg Patriots are said to be good shooters, and I know for a fact that Savage 10/110's, Remington 700's, and Winchester 70's all are. Sakos and Tikkas regularly get high praise.

OP, pretty much any of today's rifles will be a good shooter, and a lot of the older ones will be as well. You don't have to spend $1,600 to get a good rifle setup. I did it for $750, and that's a complete Remington 700 setup with Leupold VX-1 scope, Harris bipod, and a sling. This setup will shoot accurately to 1,000 yards if you do your part. A Savage 10/110 setup will cost about the same. A used Winchester 70 as a basis (e. g. Black Shadow) would make the setup about $800. And yes, they all will shoot lights-out.

Here's an example of a $550 setup using a Winchester 70 that I bought from a fellow Virginian a few years ago (all laws followed, of course). The rifle came with the STD scope mount style and rings. I added the scope. The thing shoots just over 1/2 MOA with my handloads with my friend shooting it, 2/3 MOA to 1 MOA when I'm shooting it depending on my practice level. Pics at bottom.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1680825

So, you don't *have* to spend $1,600 for a good hunting rifle, unless you just want to. :-)
Awesome set up and much better price point thanks for taking that time
To post
Old 02-22-2021, 12:35 PM

Calibers or Cartridges? Guessing both from your posts here on Calguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post

Old 02-22-2021, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...nt-bronze.html

30-06 and you are done. 110gr to 220gr and will get the job done for just about anything from varmits to bears. Perfect? Heck no. Good all around tool for about anything in North America?.....tough to beat.

Just my $0.02 worth...

kp
Old 02-22-2021, 1:19 PM

Tikkas are ugly