Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-08-2020, 1:48 PM

Default C&R -03 question

Can a C&R license holder, with a CEO, sell a C&R firearm to another C&R holder out of state without going through a California FFL? And does California sales tax need to be added?
Old 09-08-2020, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

You can sell almost any firearm to anybody in most states without going through a California FFL, regardless of C&R licenses.
Old 09-08-2020, 2:32 PM

If shipping out of state, to a free state like AZ, and firearm is C&R eligible, and receiver has FFL03, you don't need a FFL03 and can ship directly to their home. In other states like CA, such as NJ, all non antique firearms (and some antique) must ship to FFL01, in MD all handguns must ship to FFL01.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
If shipping out of state, to a free state like AZ, and firearm is C&R eligible, and receiver has FFL03, you don't need a FFL03 and can ship directly to their home. In other states like CA, such as NJ, all non antique firearms (and some antique) must ship to FFL01, in MD all handguns must ship to FFL01.

If originating from out-of-state, C&R pistols can go straight to a C&R holder’s house in MD. They are not registered except in the bound book. In-state C&R sales in MD go through the Maryland State Police process, but do not require a Handgun Qualification License.
Old 09-08-2020, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

No matter where it must be shipped to, he's asking if it has to be shipped from an FFL in California. I think in any of the states that allow shipment directly to an 03 FFL, that answer is no.
Old 09-08-2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
No matter where it must be shipped to, he's asking if it has to be shipped from an FFL in California. I think in any of the states that allow shipment directly to an 03 FFL, that answer is no.
That is correct.

Old 09-08-2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesco View Post
If originating from out-of-state, C&R pistols can go straight to a C&R holder’s house in MD. They are not registered except in the bound book. In-state C&R sales in MD go through the Maryland State Police process, but do not require a Handgun Qualification License.
I thought they changed that recently in Maryland with handguns and "assault rifles".

Old 09-23-2020, 4:30 PM

You have to meet the laws where the buyer is. You also must meet the federal rules for shipping, handguns must ship through common carrier not USPS.
Old 09-23-2020, 7:31 PM
Banned

Are we sure all handguns must be shipped to?

What if OP has a table in a gun show out of state, which he drove there and was selling an CR handgun.
Old 09-24-2020, 3:28 AM
Calguns Addict

No, it doesn't need to be shipped, a face to face transaction with an out of state C&R holder is legal
Old 09-24-2020, 5:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Depends on buyer’s state. In Oregon and Nevada C&R FFL buyer must still use a dealer FFL to acquire.
Old 09-24-2020, 7:17 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten_man View Post
Can a C&R license holder, with a CEO, sell a C&R firearm to another C&R holder out of state without going through a California FFL? And does California sales tax need to be added?
This is not a 03/COE question.

No matter what type of gun you are selling, and no matter the license status of the out of state buyer, and no matter if the CA seller has a license or not, there is no legal requirement to use a CA FFL to touch it or to ship it. Some receiving FFLs may want to see it come from another FFL though.

And no you do not collect CA sales tax or any other states sales tax.

Your only concern is about the use of a FFL to receive it, and that will depend on the CR status of the gun, the license status of the buyer and the laws of the state they live in. Those laws vary from state to state.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-24-2020 at 7:22 AM..