Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-02-2019, 5:25 PM

Default Chinese SKS issues

It looks like my Chinese SKS will need to has some work done to fix my F2F and F2E. Im getting stovepipes on last round using Russian made steel (Red Star and Wolf) ammo. The last round unfired is ejected before being chambered and fired. Its only on the Last round. Doesnt matter if i loaded 3, 5 or more rounds. So the Bolt is slamming into the last round. Also tried Brass ( Fiocchi ) which will eject unfired last round with 2nd spend cartridge, but no stovepipe and no bolt slamming into last round. Just ejects with spend prior round.

Anyone have this issue? Is it a leak on the gas piston issue. I stripped it down and piston isnt that dirty nor is the spring old, also the recoil spring went in correctly. Top of the gas cylinder isnt 90 decrease, its off. Poor milling.
Old 09-02-2019, 5:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Recoil spring may need replacement. Krusty cosmeiline in the wrong places can cause problems too. If you have deep cleaned and you are confident, the a spring replacement might be a first step. Who knows how many rounds went through that rifle.
What have you done for 2A lately?

Old 09-02-2019, 5:43 PM

some relate a somewhat similar scenario with problem feed lips and follower (http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=148583.0,) after of course a very thorough cleaning
Old 09-02-2019, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Check the chamber for pitting. The chamber WILL pit if corrosive ammo was fired through it without a thorough cleaning. That will create a drag on the casing as it is extracted.

Also, don't open the mag and dump the rounds in through the bottom, then close the mag. The SKS will do weird things when you do this. See Jerry Miculek's SKS speed shooting vid if you don't believe me......mine have all done the same as his when I loaded that way.
Old 09-02-2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Check the chamber for pitting. The chamber WILL pit if corrosive ammo was fired through it without a thorough cleaning. That will create a drag on the casing as it is extracted.

Also, don't open the mag and dump the rounds in through the bottom, then close the mag. The SKS will do weird things when you do this. See Jerry Miculek's SKS speed shooting vid if you don't believe me......mine have all done the same as his when I loaded that way.
Thanks, I did a breakdown and checked everything. Not dirty or pitting at all. But I did add shells from the bottom per Jerry Miculek youtune video. I also fed from the top open bolt adding one at a time. Same results. Did not use stripper clips.
Old 09-02-2019, 6:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

sounds like a magazine lip problem ive read what you have said 3 times and i think you are sayig as round 9 is ejecting the bolt somehow releases round 10th to pop out

yea if you do the drop in the bottom method half the time the follower will leave a space and on the last round the cartridge will shift towards the center and pop out

always load from the top

sometimes a magazine can get out of sorts if someone removes it without having the bolt back if you just jerk it out it will open the lips up
Old 09-03-2019, 4:20 PM

Do you have another SKS to compare to or swap some parts? Maybe the magazine spring is not strong enough to keep good pressure against the top feed lips, and the last round is bouncing out. The fact your issue is repeatable with the last round makes me think that is the case. In my experience it is usually a magazine spring when having exclusively last round issues. Make sure the magazine spring is not gunked up with cosmoline, its a very easy place for lots of it to hide
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 09-03-2019, 4:26 PM

Just wanted to add, a cheap way to test this out without extra parts is to take the magazine spring out and stretch it apart a bit. If your problem is fixed or better, you know that the spring is the issue and you can order a replacement.
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 09-08-2019, 2:10 PM

went to the range and still has issues

I fed from the top ,5 rounds each and resulted in last unfired round stovepipe,
Not all the time, but out of a box of 20 rounds resulted in 2 stovepipes.

also noticed the gas tube was rather hot.

Will need to go into shop. i did see others have similar issues.
I did find a replacement for the gas tube which also has rail for SKS.
Might be interesting if its the gas tube needs to be replaced due to gas leak.

https://www.tapco.com/sks/sks-gas-tu...handguard.html
Old 09-08-2019, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Gas tubes on SKSs don't leak. All the work is done in the gas block. The tube only covers the piston and keeps it aligned.

Does the bolt lock back after the last round? Place a round in the mag, let the bolt fly home, shoot, and see.

If it locks open, gas is OK.

If not, gas may be an issue.

Stovepipes only on the last round = mag issue.

Not gas.
Old 09-08-2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Gas tubes on SKSs don't leak. All the work is done in the gas block. The tube only covers the piston and keeps it aligned.

Does the bolt lock back after the last round? Place a round in the mag, let the bolt fly home, shoot, and see.

If it locks open, gas is OK.

If not, gas may be an issue.

Stovepipes only on the last round = mag issue.

Not gas.
Here is some more details.

on the last round, unfired round stovepipes with bolt slamming into the unfired round, bolt does not lock open. And as you stated, may have a gas issue. And it might be the Mag lip as well. Found similar issue on Youtube. Others might have similar issues, so might find solution soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ECggSRpCoE&t=210s

Last edited by Harry Ono; 09-08-2019 at 3:39 PM..
Old 09-08-2019, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Lock bolt back on empty mag.

Put one round in mag.

Let bolt fly home. Should chamber the round.

If not, mag fo sho.

If it does, then fire it, see if bolt locks back on the empty mag.

If it does lock back, gas is OK.

If it does not lock back, gas is suspect.

That video is wrong. SKS gas tubes are not pressurized. There is no 'leak', as they are vented anyways. ALL the work is done in the gas block. Not the gas tube.

Last edited by God Bless America; 09-08-2019 at 11:39 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 2:17 AM

Description of the problem sounds very specifically like a mag feed lip and/or follower problem as others have said.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Lock bolt back on empty mag.

Put one round in mag.

Let bolt fly home. Should chamber the round.

If not, mag fo sho.

If it does, then fire it, see if bolt locks back on the empty mag.

If it does lock back, gas is OK.

If it does not lock back, gas is suspect.

That video is wrong. SKS gas tubes are not pressurized. There is no 'leak', as they are vented anyways. ALL the work is done in the gas block. Not the gas tube.

Thanks for the info, feeding one round (single shot) from the top works fine.
No issues regarding ejection of spent round. Will go into shop to get checked.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris badinov View Post
Description of the problem sounds very specifically like a mag feed lip and/or follower problem as others have said.
Any idea on reason why gas tube getting rather hot ?
we are talking about after 10 rounds or so. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
Any idea on reason why gas tube getting rather hot ?
we are talking about after 10 rounds or so. Thanks in advance.
The gas tube is supposed to get hot. Ten rounds is about right-- depending weather conditions it can actually happen within 5 rounds.

That gas tube is ported directly from the barrel. The hot gas from each fired round adds more and more heat to the tube. It doesn't take much for the "hand guard" to get too hot for handling either. If you fire at a quick enough pace, you will often see beads of cosmoline begin to sweat out of the hand guard, and sometimes even the stock for end. And if you keep it going, burnt cosmoline smoke will start to rise off the hand guard too.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
Thanks for the info, feeding one round (single shot) from the top works fine.
No issues regarding ejection of spent round. Will go into shop to get checked.

Feeding one round from the top does not create the same conditions as actual recoil after a fired round.

The forces involved in recoil are likely interacting with the mag follower or mag feed opening (lips) or both to create the conditions that cause the last round to eject.

This specific problem has been discussed at length on sksboards.com-- most often in the workbench forum . Have you checked out the link to that site that was shared earlier?

Last edited by boris badinov; 09-09-2019 at 7:55 PM..
Old 10-05-2019, 10:01 PM

Friend had similar problems. Last I recall he first fed a dummy round followed with live rounds. The last round, dummy round, stovepiped, but there was no liveround to cause any accidents. He didn't use stripper clips which might have been the problem.
Old 10-06-2019, 6:54 PM

Chinese SKS with all matched serial numbers and in decent condition.... cleaned of all cosmo and undamaged.... shouldn't malfunction at all..Is this an old Norinco or a recent Century, Classic offering?
Old 10-06-2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Chinese SKS with all matched serial numbers and in decent condition.... cleaned of all cosmo and undamaged.... shouldn't malfunction at all..Is this an old Norinco or a recent Century, Classic offering?
I checked around and found several folks who heard of similar issues and many did not. Some said, (1) it was due to uncleaned rifle (2) magazine lip (3) cheap oblong Russian ammo (4) need to break in. (5) don't feed from the bottom or manually from the top but use stripper clips.

I broke the rifle down but found no cosmoline except in the tool kit. I cleaned it out but still had the issues. Steel will stovepipe unfired last round and brass would eject unfired last round.

Its a Norinco, (Mfg 1970) with US importer and in pristine condition with matching serial numbers. Seemed like it was barely fired so I am leaning on breaking it in at movement. I picked up a replacement factory 5 rounder mag at this weekends gun show and might check that out as well.

Last edited by Harry Ono; 10-06-2019 at 8:57 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 9:22 PM

70? Super Late mfg.
Old 10-06-2019, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

A commie gun made 50 years ago that needs to be broken in...never heard of that one before.