Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-31-2019, 1:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Value of Mannlicher Shoenauer

I'm trying to get an idea of a reasonable sale price of these two rifles. There seems to be a wide range on gunbroker and the auction sites. They are both Mannlicher 1903s. One has a scope and the other has a peep sight on the bolt. Unfortunately the one with the peep sight had the receiver drilled for a scope mount I do not have. Rock Island Auction Co. gave be an estimated value of between $700-1100 for each rifle. I would rather not have to ship these or pay their fees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (91.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.jpg (89.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0022.jpg (99.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0056.jpg (90.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (91.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 8:24 PM

They always seem to go for a lot. $700 sounds low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2019, 10:53 AM

More details would help; caliber, date of manufacture, scope info etc.
Old 09-04-2019, 4:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The best I can tell the calibers are 6.5x54 MS. The scope is a Dr. W Gerard. I don't know how to tell the date of manufacture.
Old 09-07-2019, 7:09 AM

That first rifle is gorgeous!

The second one that has extra holes will be worth a lot less.
Old 09-07-2019, 7:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Iíll likely send them to auction and hope for the best.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkprisoner View Post
The best I can tell the calibers are 6.5x54 MS
I'm not a MS expert, but I am a fan, so I can't say that I speak with absolute certainty. Just FYI.

To the best of my knowledge, all 1903 MS rifles were chambered for 6.5x54 MS. They typically didn't have any sort of barrel markings indicating the chambering. If you find one that is chambered for something else, then it was more than likely rebarreled/rechambered.

An unmolested 1903 is difficult to find. They were quite a bit more popular than the 1905, 1908, 1910 models, and they typically saw more use. It is much easier to find a model 1908 (8mm MS) in excellent condition that hasn't been drilled & tapped or had claw mounts brazed onto the receiver. It's unfortunate that those guns have been modified, but it's very much the norm.

I haven't looked at gunbroker for comps, but I would guess that those guns would sell for $1,200 - $1,400. I don't know that I ever see those guns sell for less than $1,000.
Old 09-09-2019, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think RIA is playing it a bit safe with the $700.00 low end. The "un-scoped" MS 1903 may end up around there though.

I see a scope hole drilled on its left upper flat receiver bridge. There should be a 2nd hole drilled & tapped, and the receiver ring should have 2 holes d&t'd if it's ready to accept a Redfield type base. If so the gun would be ready to go for scope mounting.

If not, a Jaeger or G&H side mount might make use of those unwanted screw holes on the side. Later MS models such as the 1952 had the stocks strengthened and cutout for the side mount base plate. Would probably have to be delicately done on the 1903 MS.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I think RIA is playing it a bit safe with the $700.00 low end. The "un-scoped" MS 1903 may end up around there though.

I see a scope hole drilled on its left upper flat receiver bridge. There should be a 2nd hole drilled & tapped, and the receiver ring should have 2 holes d&t'd if it's ready to accept a Redfield type base. If so the gun would be ready to go for scope mounting.

If not, a Jaeger or G&H side mount might make use of those unwanted screw holes on the side. Later MS models such as the 1952 had the stocks strengthened and cutout for the side mount base plate. Would probably have to be delicately done on the 1903 MS.
Yes there are two holes on the side and two on the top front. That single hole on the top rear was for the original claw type scope mount. I think a scope mount like the one in the attached picture would work. I believe it is an old Leupold. There are two on Ebay currently. The problem is a scope would render the peep sight useless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mannlicher_Mount_2.jpg (55.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-09-2019, 3:07 PM

I sold a 1903 in 6.5x54 in good condition for $1,250 about 10 years ago. No extra holes for scope mount or anything. Almost kept it but didn't want to add another caliber to reload for.
Old 09-09-2019, 4:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkprisoner View Post
Yes there are two holes on the side and two on the top front. That single hole on the top rear was for the original claw type scope mount. I think a scope mount like the one in the attached picture would work. I believe it is an old Leupold. There are two on Ebay currently. The problem is a scope would render the peep sight useless.
That's interesting. Had no idea. The base isn't cheap, but it's not outrageously expensive either. If you bought a base off Ebay, not sure if that would add value, be a wash, or loss.

Sure the scope won't sit high enough for that peep tower to move under when fired? A fairly low powered scope like a Kollmorgan has a fairly small rear bell.

This may sound like a bit of sacrilege, but having a fair number of common rifles set up with a peep rear and detach scope mount I've a habit of hollowing out the buttstock just enough to accommodate the sight ladder and some inserts. If the peep ladder can be removed and replaced if needed, it's an option. Assuming it doesn't swing back when not used.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:05 PM

The higher $ comes for Checkering & Inlay work. From the little experience I had with selling a few of these from a Collection was the ones that had nice checking and cosmetics overall brang more $.
Yours look very good. If the Collectors are buying over $1000 under $2000
Old 09-17-2019, 8:10 AM

Try asking about value on the "German and Austrian Arms" forum on the website www.doublegunshop.com/bbs. You will have to register (free) on that website to ask questions, but the guys over there are civil and know their stuff, especially a poster called "Raimey." Your excellent pics will help a lot and every bit of markings on the guns also.

These are iconic rifles used by some of the most famous riflemen in history (Do the names Ernest Hemingway and Roy Chapman Andrews ring any bells?). I would START any auction pricing at $1200 for the unscoped one and $1500 for the other, but that is a WAG.

There is a gunsmith in northern Oregon who spercializes in MSs, and if you PM me, I'll try to find his number. He can tell you all about scope mounts and scopes for them--did a super job (complete reconditioning) of my brother's (much later) MS Model 1950 Stutzen 7x57, plus finding and adding a vintage Griffin and Howe claw mount that fit the factory holes on the rifle.

Just don't try to get hold of him in Oregon elk season!