Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-31-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thats half the fun of buying a C&R. I use OMS, an old toothbrush and some rags. Works like a charm.
Indeed, I like learning how things work. However, when it comes to determining whether or not a firearm is in a safe enough mechanical condition to fire, I want someone that has more experience than I do at this point. I've found that most reputable 'smiths will show you/explain to you what they're checking/looking at. I figure I am buying not just a service, but some knowledge at the same time.

I learned to build engines and machine-finish parts for building engines. However, I didn't just start by grabbing a cylinder head and going to town with a grinder-- I learned a little from the machinist who did the first valve job and port polish for me, first.
Old 07-31-2019, 8:41 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I wasn't able to get in on it. Dangitt!

Tried to buy this morning, didn't have C&R and COE on file. Uploaded it when I got home from work, got an email back asking for COE a little before 8pm, sent it back and tried to buy, but the price already had gone back up to 399.

Oh well. NExt time.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

This is a closeup of some parts from the one I got late March. I haven't cleaned off all the cosmoline, it's just a quick wipedown to see the condition. You can see there's still some gobs hanging around in the crevices.

sks_parts.jpg
Old 07-31-2019, 11:57 PM

Looks like the deal is over, for those who jumped on it, please post pictures when you get them!
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 08-01-2019, 6:06 AM

Got an email from Classic saying the $299.99 deal has been extended another 48 hours. There is still time for those who think they missed it.
Old 08-01-2019, 6:51 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Haha, yep, I came here to say that the price was back down again this morning.

Got one coming, as they also emailed and said all my FFL info was on file and good to go!
Old 08-02-2019, 8:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just received my FFL03 and looking for my first C&R purchase. This sale ends tonight. Do you guys think the bottom of the barrel rifles are left? Would I be a fool to pass this up?
Old 08-02-2019, 3:54 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Nah, I bet there's a lot still in stock. Too many people think that 299 is too much because they paid 199 ten years ago.

Buy buy buy!
Old 08-02-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ELKY View Post
Just received my FFL03 and looking for my first C&R purchase. This sale ends tonight. Do you guys think the bottom of the barrel rifles are left? Would I be a fool to pass this up?
You would be a fool to pass this up.
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth. BRE:#01443195 Fathom Realty
Old 08-07-2019, 2:22 PM

OK guys I've now bought several of these carbines and now that I've got them unwrapped I have to say that I'm impressed. I still have 2 others that I bought years ago back in the heyday of SKS rifles when everybody had them for sale and these new guns are in better shape and are being sold (for the most part) cheaper than they were back in the golden age of SKS.

If you want a good deal, you will not find better than these guns at these prices. I have nothing to do with Classic and no stake of any kind in this sale.
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth. BRE:#01443195 Fathom Realty

Last edited by marksmandowntown; 08-07-2019 at 2:25 PM..
Old 08-07-2019, 2:38 PM

Did you pay extra for the hand-pick?
John 3:16
Old 08-07-2019, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

showing $349 now.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 08-07-2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newglockster View Post
Did you pay extra for the hand-pick?
I paid the $20 for all matching hand pick.

I didn't pay for the best cosmetic pick nor for a milled trigger.

I bought a total of four and the worst of them was well worth $349 as against what $350 would have gotten you six years ago. I had planned to sell one or two of them but I'm starting to think maybe I should keep them all.
Old 08-07-2019, 8:45 PM

I can't afford them with all the tariffs and all.
Old 08-07-2019, 9:03 PM

I am going to DROS mine on Friday, it will be there tomorrow, but I can't get to the shop until Friday. I cannot wait to see it.

Since this is the first (and probably only) SKS I have bought, I paid for the hand-pick cosmetic, matching, and milled trigger group. I plan to do the firing pin upgrade as well.

Last edited by SemperInExcretiaSumus; 08-07-2019 at 9:05 PM..
Old 08-08-2019, 8:13 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Mine gets delivered Tuesday. I wont be home until Thursday, dangitt.

My second SKS, still never even shot the first.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Sold out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 PM

The Simonov is a more elegant and refined platform than the Kalishnakov that replaced it in my opinion. I'd still probably pick an AK over an SKS for SHTF but that doesn't mean that I can't talk about how the SKS is a better made gun.

The gun pictured below is my favorite of the four that I bought. It has the closest thing to nice wood that I've ever seen on a Chinese SKS. It's an all matching triangle /26\ gun with a seven digit serial number. I'd put the metal in the high 70s to low 80s. It is functionally perfect and has an attractive stock that the picture does not capture.

Don't expect your gun to look like this. This was the best of four. This was the only gun of the four that I got that didn't have some kind of issue. All the issues with the other three guns were minor but noteworthy.
#2 was all matching but had a no-number arsenal replacement stock.
#3 was cracked at the wrist but had been arsenal repaired to fix that crack and had some minor stock damage that I gorilla glued.
#4 was missing a chunk of the stock from the right rear side that supports the receiver near the dust cover release. It doesn't affect the functionality and is cosmetic.

All four guns had nice, all matching metal w/o line outs and with better than 70% finish remaining. All bayonets and magazines were functional and snappy.

Compared to what we got for $350 six years ago, these guns are in much better shape. I don't remember which Calgunner said this, but the most accurate description that I ever heard about the condition of the old guns was that "It looked like somebody set the stock on fire and then put it out with a weed whacker."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg showandtell.jpg (90.4 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by marksmandowntown; 08-08-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Mine looks pretty good but I wont know for sure until I get a bunch of cosmoline cleaned off. All matching Factory 26 w/milled trigger

Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

My recent order looked slightly better than my March order, and this one was just plain with no special consideration whereas the March order I paid for Hand Select. All matching except for the receiver cover, and the bolt face & piston face showed minimal wear after the cosmoline was wiped away. Similar to marksmandowntown's gun, the area with the most wear are the edges of the magazine.
Old 08-09-2019, 9:10 PM

All in all mine looks pretty good! There's some blueing rubbed off on some of the edges, but I can always reapply it, I suppose, and the stock had some scuffs and someone carved their name in it, it's a Chinese name written in the latin alphabet-- which I though was odd.

I'll get a better idea once the ten day wait is up and they clean off all the cosmoline.

Also, is it true that we cannot remove the fixed magazine on these? I did not know, if that is true then I will be putting some ProMag SKS 10 rounders up for sale. My bad. I'll just get the stripper clips instead.
Old 08-09-2019, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperInExcretiaSumus View Post
All in all mine looks pretty good! There's some blueing rubbed off on some of the edges, but I can always reapply it, I suppose, and the stock had some scuffs and someone carved their name in it, it's a Chinese name written in the latin alphabet-- which I though was odd.

I'll get a better idea once the ten day wait is up and they clean off all the cosmoline.

Also, is it true that we cannot remove the fixed magazine on these? I did not know, if that is true then I will be putting some ProMag SKS 10 rounders up for sale. My bad. I'll just get the stripper clips instead.
FYI, as with all milsurps, anything you do to it finishwise will decrease the value. So I wouldnt try and "fix" the blueing. Classic newb mistake. They are beautiful guns with honest wear. Just shoot it and enjoy it. Get a WASR if you want to "pimp" something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Old 08-09-2019, 9:34 PM

I mostly just wanted to restore the wood and blueing, but I suppose you're right.

Any insight on the detachable mags/replacing the fixed magazine?

My thinking was that this is essentially like the M1A (as far as function), so wouldn't the same law apply? Or, is it special for some other reason?
Old 08-09-2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
I mostly just wanted to restore the wood and blueing...

Please, please. Don't restore anything. C&R guns like these aren't like other guns. The wear and tear is part of the appeal. Don't ever sand or refinish the stock and don't fix the bluing. Stick to oil and lube and if you are a wood nut like me, wax for the stock. Don't be Bubba, don't be that guy.

I'd advise you not to mess with the magazine. Don't use those detachable promags. My FFL made a big deal about my SKS not having a detachable magazine. Yes, do get the stripper clips.

You can shoot cheap Russian steel case ammo with this gun. Almost any brand will do but the best stuff IMO is Golden Tiger.

Does anyone need help/info on how to clean these?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:39 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:

My thinking was that this is essentially like the M1A (as far as function), so wouldn't the same law apply? Or, is it special for some other reason?

Any SKS with detachable mag is designated specifically on the Roberti Roos list as Assault Weapon in CA. Must remain fixed mag. Check page 2 of the flowchart https://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Totally stupid, but that is par for the course in CA. You can have a Saiga with removable mag (or Mini 30 etc), but not a SKS with removable mag

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-09-2019 at 10:58 PM..
Old 08-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

The legal aspect of removable mags has already been addressed, but from a practical aspect, don't bother. There are no aftermarket mags which are any more reliable than the original factory mag, and in many cases (esp Promag) they are much less reliable.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:24 AM

I'm just used to battle rifles with removable magazines, I suppose.

I'll offer them up cheap on eBay. I found a bunch of stripper clips already.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm just used to battle rifles with removable magazines, I suppose.

I'll offer them up cheap on eBay. I found a bunch of stripper clips already.

Link to stripper clips? I'm looking for some.
Old 08-10-2019, 1:28 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-Steel...4AAOSw4A5Y2pgR

Ships from Chino Hills
Old 08-11-2019, 9:31 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Don’t buy knock off strippers. Buy real Russian - they are worth it and work way better.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vkArEMgXSZg

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-11-2019 at 9:55 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Looks like Classic Sold Out, any word on future offerings.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Can you post pictures of the name please. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 PM

Once I have the rifle in my possession I will be posting pictures.
Old 08-12-2019, 8:03 PM

BRNO strippers are gtg as well. Not sure how they compare pricewise to the Russian ones.
Old 08-12-2019, 8:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Once I have the rifle in my possession I will be posting pictures.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-15-2019, 2:37 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Mine came home today! I didn't pay for anything extra, it's got a milled trigger group and all serial numbers match except for the bolt.

I won't have time to mess with the cosmoline for several days, but on unboxing, it looks to be in pretty good shape, especially for the price. One scuff on the wrist of the stock on the starboard side, the rest looks pretty decent.

Packaging was terrible, but it made it without poking through the box. It was wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap with some wadded up brown paper at the muzzle and butt end, but that's it. Oh well. I'm happy with it, can't wait to shoot it! Maybe I'll use it for deer this year...
Old 08-17-2019, 5:33 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

SKS, Type 56
Old 08-23-2019, 4:15 PM

Back in stock...until 8.26

https://www.classicfirearms.com/chin...-rifle-762x39/
Old 08-30-2019, 9:00 AM

Ughh! I was doing so good! Damn you guys! I should have stayed off the forum! They're back in stock for $319. I should have mine early next week. LOL

Last edited by Eddie1965; 08-30-2019 at 9:12 AM..
Old 08-30-2019, 9:45 AM

Anyone put scopes on their SKS?