Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-29-2019, 8:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Classic has them on sale for $299

Chinese SKS are on sale for $299. Go get 'em.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/chin...-rifle-762x39/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 07-29-2019, 10:48 AM

Anyone buy that can provide pix and comments on their recent purchase.
Like to hear some feedback.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Same bunch they've had at 399/349 for a while now. The one I got was all matching, all metal parts are nice, stock has some dents and dings but nothing out of the ordinary, no cracks. I'm at work so I don't have pictures but can post later if you still want Harry.

At 399 I would say they were worth it, at 299 you can't go wrong.

Just be prepared for some cosmoline cleaning.

Last edited by C&Rfan89; 07-29-2019 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: 1 last thing.
Old 07-29-2019, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tempting to pick a few up for that price, especially since they offer an "all matching" option...
Old 07-29-2019, 1:55 PM

The 2 I purchased both have matching numbers and milled triggers. Both function flawlessly. Happy with the purchase

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2019, 3:08 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Alright I bit, now let's see what they send me. If they look as good as those ^^^^^^ I will be happy.

I went for the extra $20 best of 10 and matching numbers.

Old 07-29-2019, 3:25 PM

They selling crates of them as well; 20 rifles with slings, kits and oilers, all for special price of 5,999.99 (+tax and shipping)
So who’s on the deal?
Old 07-29-2019, 5:10 PM

Man! This kills me. I think I've outlived reality. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I was buying these things for $89.oo and selling them here for $129.oo when I bought them in groups of 10. What the hell happened to make them so valuable???

P

www.swissproductsusa.com
Old 07-29-2019, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
Man! This kills me. I think I've outlived reality. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I was buying these things for $89.oo and selling them here for $129.oo when I bought them in groups of 10. What the hell happened to make them so valuable???

P
Factor in 50 years of inflation and they are cheaper now than then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-29-2019, 6:47 PM

I always preferred the sks because it's a actual military used / surplus rifle

not a modern reproduction mfg for civilian use
Old 07-29-2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post

P
The Norincos at the Great Western late 80s were $79 and they were in excellent (95%+) if not unissued condition. I have four including a security forces imported by Kengs Firearms. Of course they have the import markings..
Old 07-29-2019, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelek View Post
They selling crates of them as well; 20 rifles with slings, kits and oilers, all for special price of 5,999.99 (+tax and shipping)
So who’s on the deal?
You can save $.19 if you buy 20 single rifles.

Quote:
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-29-2019, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

The video mentions that they're trying to turn over inventory to raise funds for a separate deal. It would be interesting what that new buy could be. Especially considering they're willing to take a hit on margins, which implies the next deal will have higher margins to offset that, and that Classic thinks that even with these higher margins they'll still be able to sell them.

The video said the condition of these is similar to the stuff they've been selling for the past few months. The one I got from them back in March was mostly matching (1 part was a different serial, but I forgot which part & I don't want to take it out to check) with moderate stock dings but no cracks, and very good blueing. The impressive part were the internals. The piston face was completely clean, no soot at all. Also, the bolt face had no wear at all, there was no sign of the primer corrosion ring.
Old 07-29-2019, 7:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Very interesting.
So help me out please, (and I don't have a C and R lic). Classic guns are in NC, so you order/Pay for gun and shipping from Classic, and they ship to an FFL in CA? Then FFL charges transfer fee and DROS?
Old 07-29-2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudigan View Post
Very interesting.
So help me out please, (and I don't have a C and R lic). Classic guns are in NC, so you order/Pay for gun and shipping from Classic, and they ship to an FFL in CA? Then FFL charges transfer fee and DROS?
Yes. FFL also charges sales tax.
Old 07-29-2019, 9:05 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHobo View Post
Yes. FFL also charges sales tax.
Actually Classic, like so many others, now collects CA sales tax. My order was like $377 with the $20 hand select and $30 ship + $4 ship insurance, + CA tax.

Old 07-29-2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Actually Classic, like so many others, now collects CA sales tax. My order was like $377 with the $20 hand select and $30 ship + $4 ship insurance, + CA tax.
Well if that's the case or not. The FFL I use still collected tax on both my rifles from classic. Plus the dros and FFL fee. Hopefully I didn't get double taxed

Old 07-29-2019, 9:23 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfire25 View Post
Well if that's the case or not. The FFL I use still collected tax on both my rifles from classic. Plus the dros and FFL fee. Hopefully I didn't get double taxed

Depends on when you bought. Classic has been charging CA sales tax for a month or two now.

Old 07-29-2019, 9:28 PM

whats a good estimate for all-in price with ffl transfer etc?
very interested in one of these
Old 07-29-2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruecheese View Post
Using SkyHawk's example, about $400, depending on what your FFL fees are.
Old 07-29-2019, 9:56 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHobo View Post
Using SkyHawk's example, about $400, depending on what your FFL fees are.
Maybe more like $420+. $380 just gets you a gun/tax/ship/DROS, add another $20 if you want hand select and $40+ for the transfer fee. Some FFLs will charge $75-$125 for transfer fees.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-29-2019 at 9:59 PM..
Old 07-29-2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe more like $450. $400 just gets you a gun/tax/ship/DROS, add another $40+ for the transfer fee.
Exactly. I paid close to 550 or so after all was said and done when they were 399

Old 07-29-2019, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

I bet 10 bucks if they dropped the price of SKSs to $39.50 each with free delivery
by tomorrow, half of these people would still want to wait & see.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruecheese View Post
You are looking at an extra $100 in FFL and DROS fees (probably more unless you can find an FFL to transfer for less than $65 which is hard to find), plus the cost of CA sales tax (at least $25), plus shipping from classic ($30ish), plus the mandatory $20 hand select fee from classic (unless you want a complete dog or basket case), plus your time and gas going to the FFL twice. It's obviously a much better deal for C&R holders who live in the USA. But for us Californians, $460-$500 depending on FFL fees is probably what you should expect the total out the door cost to be...somewhere in that ballpark anyway?
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 07-30-2019, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe more like $420+. $380 just gets you a gun/tax/ship/DROS, add another $20 if you want hand select and $40+ for the transfer fee. Some FFLs will charge $75-$125 for transfer fees.
I forgot the DROS... Here are my numbers:

$300 Gun + $30 Ship + $4 Insurance + $27 tax + $25 DROS + $35 FFL (Left Coast Tactical) = $421 total (no hand select).

Last edited by AlienHobo; 07-30-2019 at 5:49 AM..
Old 07-30-2019, 9:33 AM

You guys suck. I will post pics when it comes...
Old 07-30-2019, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
You are looking at an extra $100 in FFL and DROS fees (probably more unless you can find an FFL to transfer for less than $65 which is hard to find), plus the cost of CA sales tax (at least $25), plus shipping from classic ($30ish), plus the mandatory $20 hand select fee from classic (unless you want a complete dog or basket case), plus your time and gas going to the FFL twice. It's obviously a much better deal for C&R holders who live in the USA. But for us Californians, $460-$500 depending on FFL fees is probably what you should expect the total out the door cost to be...somewhere in that ballpark anyway?
Your numbers are about right, but my non-hand select was not a dog or basket case. Bluing is strong, the action is smooth and the stock itself is in decent shape but for the finish. No serious dings or gouges. I will probably refinish it. Overall I am happy with my random pull $349 rifle. I did have a minor issue with Riflegear telling me that Classic simply listing the amount of "tax" collected on the receipt was not sufficient to show no tax was due, and it needed to show "California tax" collected. A phone call to Classic got that fixed very quickly, though. Riflegear charged $60 for the transfer and my total cost was right around $500 otd. I picked it up a week ago.
Edit: Also, only one trip to Riflegear since I have an 03 and COE.

Last edited by YoungKee; 07-30-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Old 07-30-2019, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
moderate stock dings but no cracks, and very good blueing. The impressive part were the internals. The piston face was completely clean, no soot at all. Also, the bolt face had no wear at all, there was no sign of the primer corrosion ring.
Has anyone seen stock carvings on this last batch? Any signs they were used in Albania or wherever these were imported from?

Ive heard China doesnt hand out a whole lot of ammo to their soldiers. With the lack of range use I'm thinking China is selling their old boot camp stock to a middle man and we are importing them.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2019, 12:58 PM

This is a really good deal. If you are on the fence, get off. You won't see this price again. This is a really good starter C&R gun and it can shoot cheap Russian steel case ammo. Buy now!
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth. BRE:#01443195 Fathom Realty
Old 07-30-2019, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major burnout View Post
Has anyone seen stock carvings on this last batch? Any signs they were used in Albania or wherever these were imported from?

Ive heard China doesnt hand out a whole lot of ammo to their soldiers. With the lack of range use I'm thinking China is selling their old boot camp stock to a middle man and we are importing them.
The Chinese guns are chromelined and most just have finish wear. Bores are usually pristine. I picked up a couple of the ones from Albania back in 2012-2013. They were very early '50s-'60s guns with blade bayonets. These spike bayonet guns look just as well made probably have even less wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Old 07-30-2019, 3:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
The video mentions that they're trying to turn over inventory to raise funds for a separate deal. It would be interesting what that new buy could be. Especially considering they're willing to take a hit on margins, which implies the next deal will have higher margins to offset that, and that Classic thinks that even with these higher margins they'll still be able to sell them.
You're saying you actually believe Classic is "willing to take a hit on margins"?...or for that matter, anything else?

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 07-30-2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
You're saying you actually believe Classic is "willing to take a hit on margins"?...or for that matter, anything else?
I don’t think he means they’re taking a loss. “Taking a hit on margins” means smaller margins. they’re making a smaller profit per gun, but I’m sure they’re still making a profit.

I just bought two. Their website says today is the final day of the sale.
Old 07-31-2019, 3:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
The Chinese guns are chromelined and most just have finish wear. Bores are usually pristine. I picked up a couple of the ones from Albania back in 2012-2013. They were very early '50s-'60s guns with blade bayonets. These spike bayonet guns look just as well made probably have even less wear.
Is the piston face completely clean on your chrome lined sks? How about the bolt face? Do you know where this recent batch was imported from?

I picked up a matching 4 digit from the 2013 batch.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2019, 5:22 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Hmmmm...Maybe I should finally use my 03 to buy a rifle!
Old 07-31-2019, 7:53 AM

Does Classic ship to an FFL, or do they require that you have a Type 03 FFL?

At this price, I want like two of them.
Old 07-31-2019, 7:54 AM

I was happy with mine at the original price, this is a great deal.
Old 07-31-2019, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major burnout View Post
Is the piston face completely clean on your chrome lined sks? How about the bolt face? Do you know where this recent batch was imported from?

I picked up a matching 4 digit from the 2013 batch.
I havent looked at it in a while but from what I can remember, all parts were very clean on the inside, once I removed the cosmoline. I had one of those early "ghost" guns from the 2013 batch. It had a Tula dust cover and unmarked replacement stock. A few months later I picked up an all matching '58 Arsenal 26.

Quote:
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 07-31-2019 at 9:33 AM..
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 AM

I picked one up for myself, being sent to my local FFL.

The FFL is also a gunsmith, so I can have them clean it up and test it for me, too.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperInExcretiaSumus View Post
The FFL is also a gunsmith, so I can have them clean it up and test it for me, too.
Thats half the fun of buying a C&R. I use OMS, an old toothbrush and some rags. Works like a charm. Very simple easy method to remove cosmoline. Some guys have crazy drawn out procedures for removing cosmoline, most of which make a huge mess. Like getting a plastic tub and filling it up with boiling water or putting it in a plastic bag and leaving it on their dashboard in their car for a week. Haha. OMS dissolves cosmoline on contact.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2019, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
I havent looked at it in a while but from what I can remember, all parts were very clean on the inside, once I removed the cosmoline. I had one of those early "ghost" guns from the 2013 batch. It had a Tula dust cover and unmarked replacement stock. A few months later I picked up an all matching '58 Arsenal 26.
From my limited experience the piston face will get burnt from just a few rounds. The side of the piston will clean up easily and shine even after hundreds of rounds. Doesnt take much to leave a primer ring on the bolt face either.

This lot seems to have been fired very little considering all the bumps and bruises on the stock. Chu wood is very soft. Cool guns at a very good price. If China is liquidating all their SKS rifles we will have a steady supply for years to come.

Quote: