Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-15-2019, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
There is no requirement that it be put in a binder or anything else. Note is says "an orderly arrangement of loose–leaf pages".
I never said it did. Referring to the example from Crufflers which shows hole punches, I said,
Quote:
“That allows you to put them in a binder, thus a “bound book”.
No where did I state that the loose-leaf pages MUST be inserted into a binder.

But, this is a fundamentally stupid issue, so, I shall depart.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
“That allows you to put them in a binder, thus a “bound book”.
No "Thus". You imply the holes allows you to put them into a binder and use of the word "thus" implies that this makes it become a bound book, but that just isn't correct.

If this isn't the case, please explain your comment in which it seems quite clear that you claim that putting them in a binder makes it suddenly become a bound book, when just the pages alone are considered the bound book. This indicates that you actually said what you deny you said.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-25-2019, 7:46 AM

Greetings - I'm a little baffled. I thought if you were a California resident, and had a C&R license, you could have a C&R handgun shipped directly to you. You then need to quickly file the DROS.

Is this not correct?

If it's not correct, can someone post the statute?

thanks - Ricardo

p.s. I've read the Cal DOJ "FAQ", and it says that to get AMMO delivered by mail, you need a COE. But I don't believe that is says a COE is required to get a C&R handgun by mail. If that's wrong, please post the statute, thanks!

Last edited by Sir_Ricardo; 07-25-2019 at 7:49 AM..
Old 07-25-2019, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Ricardo View Post

Greetings - I'm a little baffled. I thought if you were a California resident, and had a C&R license, you could have a C&R handgun shipped directly to you. You then need to quickly file the DROS.

Is this not correct?

If it's not correct, can someone post the statute?

thanks - Ricardo

p.s. I've read the Cal DOJ "FAQ", and it says that to get AMMO delivered by mail, you need a COE. But I don't believe that is says a COE is required to get a C&R handgun by mail. If that's wrong, please post the statute, thanks!

CA PC 27585

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-31-2019, 1:07 PM

Hello, does FFL03 and COE as of today still exempt the holders from having online ordered ammo being transferred in a FFL01? I know that I could shipped the ammo to my door front before July 1st, not sure about now. Anyone has insights?
Old 07-31-2019, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKsan View Post
Hello, does FFL03 and COE as of today still exempt the holders from having online ordered ammo being transferred in a FFL01? I know that I could shipped the ammo to my door front before July 1st, not sure about now. Anyone has insights?
I have insight. I received a shipment at my door yesterday, and another one is scheduled for delivery on Friday.

Old 07-31-2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
I have insight. I received a shipment at my door yesterday, and another one is scheduled for delivery on Friday.
You are my hero.
Old 07-31-2019, 1:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You are my hero.
36ynoc-1.jpg

Old 07-31-2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Here is a link to the CRPA. This should answer all of your questions. Print it out and keep it in your vehicle and have it ready for purchases at local retailers. They may not know all the little details.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...-Ammo-Regs.pdf

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club
Old 07-31-2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Annnd to close the loop on this question, here is a list of California "FFL 03 Friendly" Ammunition Dealers who will ship to your door.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1406001
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 AM

*Le sigh* I just filed for my C&R &C.O.E to get a Garand shipped to the house from CMP. According to the CMP site they will ship to the house, but it looks like that's a big No No. Looks like the gun shop gUn ahop is gonna get an inbound shipment. Well, at least I can get the ammo shipped to the house.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundu1 View Post
*Le sigh* I just filed for my C&R &C.O.E to get a Garand shipped to the house from CMP. According to the CMP site they will ship to the house, but it looks like that's a big No No. Looks like the gun shop gUn ahop is gonna get an inbound shipment. Well, at least I can get the ammo shipped to the house.
Yep, and here you go:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi...an-p-3573.aspx

3573.jpg

Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Damn, looks like I gotta make room in the safe!! Thanks Mayor!!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Been seeing post on Calguns claiming that FFL03+CoE holder still needs to DROS C&R long guns coming from out-of-state via FFL01. Can someone clarify? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Been seeing post on Calguns claiming that FFL03+CoE holder still needs to DROS C&R long guns coming from out-of-state via FFL01. Can someone clarify? Thanks!
Yes, see CA PC 27585 & 27565. The law changed, no shipping of C&R firearms directly.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, see CA PC 27585 & 27565. The law changed, no shipping of C&R firearms directly.

Hi, thank you for the information. I read up both penal codes,

PC27575 states:

Subdivision (a) does not apply to or affect any of the following:
(1) A licensed collector who is subject to and complies with Section 27565.

Then PC27565 states:

(a)(4)The licensed collector acquires, outside of this state, a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2014, any firearm.
(b)Within five days of transporting a firearm into this state under the circumstances described in subdivision (a), the licensed collector shall report the acquisition of that firearm to the department in a format prescribed by the department.

This seems to be saying that FFL03+CoE collectors can still ship C&R long gun from out-of-state directly, and once acquired, report the firearm on CFARS within 5 days. Is this not your interpretation?

Last edited by KKsan; 09-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hi, thank you for the information. I read up both penal codes,

PC27575 states:

Subdivision (a) does not apply to or affect any of the following:
(1) A licensed collector who is subject to and complies with Section 27565.

Then PC27565 states:

(a)(4)The licensed collector acquires, outside of this state, a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2014, any firearm.
(b)Within five days of transporting a firearm into this state under the circumstances described in subdivision (a), the licensed collector shall report the acquisition of that firearm to the department in a format prescribed by the department.

This seems to be saying that FFL03+CoE collectors can still ship C&R long gun from out-of-state directly, and once acquired, report the firearm on CFARS within 5 days. Is this not your interpretation?
Not ship. Transport. You can buy a C&R out-of-state and bring it back yourself, then report the acquisition within 5 days.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 09-09-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Old 09-09-2019, 12:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am curious, are you reading some other CA PC 27565 than I am?

What does item 4 say?

Takes actual possession outside of the state? Paying for something isn't taking actual possession, is it?

Quote:
(a) This section applies in the following circumstances:

(1) A person is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(2) The licensed premises of that person are within this state.

(3) The licensed collector acquires, outside of this state, a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2014, any firearm.

(4) The licensed collector takes actual possession of that firearm outside of this state pursuant to the provisions of subsection (j) of Section 923 of Title 18 of the United States Code, as amended by Public Law 104-208, and transports the firearm into this state.

(5) The firearm is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

(b) Within five days of transporting a firearm into this state under the circumstances described in subdivision (a), the licensed collector shall report the acquisition of that firearm to the department in a format prescribed by the department.

(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 745, Sec. 28. (AB 809)

Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Some online ammo shops will sell and ship to out and some won't. Speaking from experience on this
Old 09-09-2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
I am curious, are you reading some other CA PC 27565 than I am?

What does item 4 say?

Takes actual possession outside of the state? Paying for something isn't taking actual possession, is it?
Ah I see, missed that part Thanks for clarification.
Old 09-12-2019, 8:15 AM

So I got approved for my COE. But it's telling me..."THERE ARE COE NOTIFICATIONS THAT MUST BE VIEWED AND ACKNOWLEDGE" where do I view and acknowledge that? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-12-2019, 8:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So I got approved for my COE. But it's telling me..."THERE ARE COE NOTIFICATIONS THAT MUST BE VIEWED AND ACKNOWLEDGE" where do I view and acknowledge that? Any help is appreciated.
On the web page in CFARS. You need to click on the link, most likely it is saying that you were approved. It is badly done.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
On the web page in CFARS. You need to click on the link, most likely it is saying that you were approved. It is badly done.
Ya I got approved. Kinda quick. I applied last Friday September 6th. And got approved September 11th.
Old 09-12-2019, 3:34 PM

This all I see that I can click on. But it's not going anywhere. I click and nothing happens

Last edited by bundu1; 09-14-2019 at 2:59 AM..
Old 09-12-2019, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8W92xzMfgYzcLNrU9
This all I see that I can click on. But it's not going anywhere. I click and nothing happens
Did you click on "Certificate of Eligibility (COE)" link on the main page (upper left)?

Then click on "Notices" (upper left) link?

Then click on the notice listed (center page) link?

As I said, it is not a good web page.

Old 09-12-2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Did you click on "Certificate of Eligibility (COE)" link on the main page (upper left)?

Then click on "Notices" (upper left) link?

Then click on the notice listed (center page) link?

As I said, it is not a good web page.
Haha. Ya I figured it out just a little while ago. I was in my phone earlier and it wouldn't work. Once in the laptop I got it. Thanks for help, much appreciated!! And they charged me card today for the FFL03 . So things are coming along quite nicely.
Old 09-12-2019, 7:19 PM

And ya, the website is garbage. I think they do it on purpose. Haha
Old 09-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Default What if you ONLY have your COE?

Can someone who ONLY has a COE (not the 03FFL) receive ammunition from an online out of state vendor?

My reading of the conjunction in the PC seems to indicate the answer is no.

"(6) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710."

However, unless I am missing something, PSA Seems to think the answer is yes, as they only mention a COE and not an 03FFL. https://palmettostatearmory.com/cali...o-buying-guide

I just read through this whole thread on my phone, so if this is addressed and I missed it, I apologize.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwhisky View Post
Can someone who ONLY has a COE (not the 03FFL) receive ammunition from an online out of state vendor?

My reading of the conjunction in the PC seems to indicate the answer is no.

"(6) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710."

However, unless I am missing something, PSA Seems to think the answer is yes, as they only mention a COE and not an 03FFL. https://palmettostatearmory.com/cali...o-buying-guide

I just read through this whole thread on my phone, so if this is addressed and I missed it, I apologize.
If PSA wants to interpret the law that way, fine. For our purposes as citizens of the Golden State, we need to have both.
Old 09-13-2019, 1:44 PM

The part about COE is under "California Ammo License Vendor", not just any consumer. Read the first paragraph on the page.
Old 09-13-2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouye View Post
The part about COE is under "California Ammo License Vendor", not just any consumer. Read the first paragraph on the page.
There it is--came to it by googling "buying ammo with CA COE" and google gave me the quote. Should've looked closer--thanks!
Old 09-16-2019, 2:26 PM

I'm sure this has been covered already, can't seem to find where I read it but..Since I have my C.O.E. can I go out of state and purchase ammunition and bring back to CA. Or do I need to wait for my C&R?
Old 09-16-2019, 3:30 PM

Just experienced a bit of frustration trying to find an ammo vendor willing to ship to me as an 03 FFL & COE holder. Ammo.com, Ventura Munitions, Lucky Gunner and others all said NO. The latest is that yet another recent law in California requires them to collect sales tax and somehow the process to apply for the “right” to do that is just too rigorous and costly. Not sure how all of those other businesses that ship goods here do it. The good news is that Target Sports said YES and is shipping my order. The process to order was easy. Once you fill in your California address you are prompted to provide the necessary documents and I just had to download a photo of the two documents. Hopefully more vendors will figure this out soon but for now my ammo vendor is Target.

Skirmisher
Old 09-16-2019, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm sure this has been covered already, can't seem to find where I read it but..Since I have my C.O.E. can I go out of state and purchase ammunition and bring back to CA. Or do I need to wait for my C&R?
You need both.

You may have read it in the statute.
Quote:
(a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30312.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
[...]
(5) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.
Old 09-16-2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post
Just experienced a bit of frustration trying to find an ammo vendor willing to ship to me as an 03 FFL & COE holder. Ammo.com, Ventura Munitions, Lucky Gunner and others all said NO. The latest is that yet another recent law in California requires them to collect sales tax and somehow the process to apply for the “right” to do that is just too rigorous and costly. Not sure how all of those other businesses that ship goods here do it. The good news is that Target Sports said YES and is shipping my order. The process to order was easy. Once you fill in your California address you are prompted to provide the necessary documents and I just had to download a photo of the two documents. Hopefully more vendors will figure this out soon but for now my ammo vendor is Target.

Skirmisher
Um, there is a thread which we contribute and is graciously maintained by rice_man: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1406001
Old 09-16-2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
You need both.

You may have read it in the statute.
Ya that's it's. Thanks!!
Old 10-07-2019, 8:04 PM

I thought an emergency edit went into effect, only allowing the bigger FFL's, and ammo vendors to have ammo shipped to them. I was under the impression that my CoE and -03 are no longer OK to have ammo shipped home...
Old 10-08-2019, 4:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Clark View Post
I thought an emergency edit went into effect, only allowing the bigger FFL's, and ammo vendors to have ammo shipped to them. I was under the impression that my CoE and -03 are no longer OK to have ammo shipped home...
What’s an emergency edit? I still get ammo shipped to my home with my FFL03 & COE.

Old 10-08-2019, 5:53 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Clark View Post
There was a version of the DoJ regulations on the ammo background check process that, at one point, would have extended the 03FFL+COE exemption to purchases made from California vendors. DoJ removed it before they went into effect.

This change caused a lot of confusion (intentionally?) among consumers and out of state sellers alike, but the ability for collectors with COEs to buy from out of state and bring or ship it into California was never up to the DoJ.