Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-08-2019, 2:43 PM

Default First Cap & Ball questions

Update: Bought an Uberti 1851 Navy.

Arbor Greace?

I kept the arbor oiled but I was surprised how poorly the gun ran after about 6 or 12 shots. I’ve Since got some slix shot nipples. And I’m told I should greace the arbor vs just oiling it. What do y’all use?

Last edited by Clickjack; 09-09-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Old 07-08-2019, 3:13 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Your Hawken isnt a percussion rifle?

I have a Pietta replica 1858 remington, its brass framed so I keep the loads light. .44 cal round ball over 30 grains of FFF goex with a felt wad between the powder and ball. Loading a revolver is easy since the lever does all the work, you just gotta repeat it 6 times.

Buy it anywhere, even online- it can be shipped straight to your door. You'll want a box of balls or a mold if you want to melt your own, felt wads, a powder measure and horn, and a capper tool is helpful if you have fat fingers.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-08-2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
Your Hawken isnt a percussion rifle?
Youíre correct. I meant a revolver.
Old 07-08-2019, 4:01 PM

Why an open top design?

Not easy to aim, the rear sight is a notch on the hammer.
Old 07-08-2019, 4:30 PM

Steel Frame 1858 Remington is 'better'
Consider that Colt went to an closed frame design (1873 Peacemaker) once the patent restrictions were up
While not 'historically correct' for a purist, You can get a '58 with installed Target Sights if more than mere plinking is of interest.
Cleaning and cylinder changes (speed loading) is simpler for a '58 compared to a 2 piece Colt.

As far as a '51 or '60 Colt - it comes down mostly to your subjective preference of looks
At first I liked the '60, but now find myself more enamored of the '51 in .44.

Uberti is considered the better of the Italian Brands, and (afaik) can still be bought online and shipped right to your door.
I find that every .44 Italian copy has been bored undersized so, one mod/improvement I always make is to ream the cylinder using a 29/64 (.453) reamer to allow .456 balls to fully engage the rifling

Last edited by rmnc3r; 07-08-2019 at 7:02 PM..
Old 07-08-2019, 4:30 PM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

Default First Cap & Ball questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
Why an open top design?

He said he wanted a Colt style

I personally prefer the 1851 but either are great guns. I have both but find I shoot the Navy more. For closed frame I shoot a Ruger old army

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 5:05 PM

If you're looking at the Piettas (which I do recommend as good pistols for the money) the Army has a slightly larger grip. If you have small hands, try a Navy. Either way, get a set of Slix Shot nipples...they will greatly improve your reliability and shooting pleasure.

I have a Navy and a Remington, both are Pietta copies, and they are both lots of fun to shoot.

Last edited by Yetiultimate; 07-08-2019 at 5:05 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-08-2019, 6:50 PM

Check out Little John's in Orange, he may have some (repros) in stock if you don't want to buy online. Reload in Anaheim should have the (substitute black) powder, caps and balls. The other black powder stores I knew of are now closed.
Old 07-08-2019, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Midway USA has a decent sale on Uberti revolvers. This one is $70 off with free shipping. I have both Pietta and Uberti revolvers and I prefer the Uberti's with better fit and finish. The actions seem to be smoother too. I also like Pietta as they very close in quality and often are priced better. Cabelas has the Pietta 1860 for $269. The sale at Midway has the Uberti for $289. In this case, spend the extra $20.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/52...ger-guard-blue
What have you done for 2A lately?

Last edited by Danodog; 07-08-2019 at 9:15 PM..
Old 07-12-2019, 3:52 PM

Picked up a pound of goex FFFg.

I live in a house in L.A. with out AC. It gets pretty hot for a week or two every summer (100+). Gets into the 40s during the winter.

My Dad just kept all his BP stuff in a cooler in the garage. What do y’all recommend for storage
Old 07-12-2019, 4:18 PM

To answer your question keep the powder in a metal cabinet. Or even better a small fire proof safe.
Old 07-12-2019, 4:41 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

I keep most of my BP stuff in ammo cans, keeps it airtight and moisture resistant. Inside and out of the heat would be ideal but it would survive in the garage too
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-12-2019, 5:23 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I don't know anything about black powder firearms, but I do recall reading somewhere that you should keep your powder dry.

It seemed like sort of a cryptic warning, but I assume it means that the powder should not get wet.
Old 07-12-2019, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I don't know anything about black powder firearms, but I do recall reading somewhere that you should keep your powder dry.

It seemed like sort of a cryptic warning, but I assume it means that the powder should not get wet.

Regarding the heat in the OP's garage, alone, it won't set off your powder.

Sparks, electrical shock/charge, embers from a fireplace, glowing cigarette ash, compressed sun-light through a glass-window or bottle, etc., will do the trick, but a stuffy-hot garage will not.

Will it damage your powder to be stored at a warm temperature, I don't know.

Keep it in an airtight NATO ammo box, the kind that costs $6 at Supply Sergeant it's cheap insurance.
Old 07-12-2019, 8:21 PM

Real black powder does not and will not degrade.

Just keep it dry.
I would store it in a cool place, away from kids and idiots.

Take care
Abenaki
Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Arbor Greace?

I kept the arbor oiled but I was surprised how poorly the gun ran after about 6 or 12 shots. I’ve Since got some slix shot nipples. And I’m told I should greace the arbor vs just oiling it. What do y’all use?
Old 09-09-2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
Arbor Greace?

I kept the arbor oiled but I was surprised how poorly the gun ran after about 6 or 12 shots. Iíve Since got some slix shot nipples. And Iím told I should greace the arbor vs just oiling it. What do yíall use?
That's the design weakness of these revolvers. They have cuts on the arbor to help collect the carbon and keep it from binding but they don't seem to work as intended in the replicas. I think some people make them deeper with good results. What works for me is lots of Crisco. Fill up the arbor with grease and it will act as a seal and help to keep the carbon fouling from getting in there in the first place. Just make sure you clean off the Crisco when you get home because if you let it dry out after a couple weeks it turns into a nasty dry gummy gunk that binds everything up. You can also just keep the arbor soaked with ballistol every 6 shots before you reload and wipe down the carbon with a rag before reloading.
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 09-09-2019, 5:55 PM

As for arbor grease, hi-temp, hi-pressure wheel bearing grease is your friend. A $5 tub of Wally World bearing grease will last you a L-O-N-G time. Don't be stingy with it. Conversely, don't over do it. You'll know in short order how much to use. As an aside, the same grease will work good as the over shot grease as well.
Jon

Last edited by musketjon; 09-09-2019 at 6:01 PM..
Old 09-11-2019, 7:18 PM

Best results with black powder requires using a non-petroleum lubricant like Thompson Center Natural Lube 1000.
Old 09-11-2019, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

I use Mutton Tallow for lube with all my Black Powders
Old 09-11-2019, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Shop around and look at the BP Forums. Last year I got a Uberti Colt Walker for $305 to my door. Some gun store in TN was blowing them out. I now have 4 BP guns a single shot pistol I built 30+ years ago, a Hawken I got last year because it was cheap, a Flintlock - because it was a left handed one custom made by a good builder and the Walker. I've got all the stuff to take them out a spent the day shooting but not looking forward to the 3-4 hours of cleaning when I get home.
Old 09-11-2019, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

Crisco, honestly.
Clean them with hot water, dish soap and then oil back up.

I like the Colt pattern revolvers too, they just point like a sidearm should.
Old 09-13-2019, 2:27 PM

There is an easy fix for the frozen cylinder arbor on Colt Percussion Revolvers. Buy some automotive Anti Seize. It's meant to go on bolts in engines. Put it on the cylinder arbor and shoot for a LOT longer. Oil doesn't help much.

It's a little messy and it sticks to everything including you. Also works well on shotgun choke tubes to keep them from freezing in the barrel. Also, a little on the cylinder nipple threads keeps them from getting stuck.

Uberti and Pietta both make good revolvers, but the real Colt is a little better...if you remember the anti seize. Remington is a better design back in the day and now.

Clean up is easier with Industrial Strength (Green) Simple Green or Quick Job.
Natural oils are great for Black Powder guns in general. Natural oils "Season" the barrel much like you season a fry pan. Just use salad oil or the like. Works great in long guns. Revolvers need the Anti Seize.

Mark in CA