Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-30-2019, 5:50 PM

Default Need help pricing (2) Tula SKS's / Please

Hey fellow CalGunners, I'm looking to sell two (02) of my Tula SKS's, but don't know what to price them each or for both. I was thinking $700 ('52) and $600 ('54) or $1,200 together? Package would include stripper clips, spare SKS stock, spare magazine for' 54, and rifle case. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Additional photos in attachments. Thanks.

1952 Tula: All matching stamped numbers, EXCEPT: magazine. All electro-stencil matches (gas tube, gas rod, rear sight, etc.) When I bought the rifle, it did not come with a magazine, but I was able to purchase a Russian replacement. This rifle was imported by C.A.I.

Exterior Condition: There are areas of rust outside of barrel and most notably on the underside of trigger guard. Wood stock is in good condition without cracks/gouges. It appears to be flaking shellac.

1954 Tula: is a refurb (sent back to depot). It has all matching numbers, EXCEPT: trigger guard and stock. The previous owner (for some stupid reason) dremeld out the back of the magazine to allow it to drop-free and spot welded the sides of the magazine so it will not open. Because this would be illegal (IIRC 90's laws) to have a removable magazine on an SKS, I will include another SKS 10rd magazine (do not know make). This rifle was imported by K.B.I.

Exterior Condition: Metal in overall great condition, no notable rust. Wood stock is without cracks or gouges.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tula SKS '52 Top_Bottom.jpg (95.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Tula SKS '52 Serials.jpg (91.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Tula SKS '54 Top_Bottom.jpg (96.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Tula SKS '54 Serials.jpg (96.5 KB, 14 views)

WTS: '52 Russian SKS $480

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within." - - General of the Army, Douglas MacArthur, 13 June 1951

Last edited by TriggerHappy86; 08-30-2019 at 7:07 PM..
Old 08-30-2019, 6:26 PM

I'm not an expert at all, but I own several SKS rifles and more or less have the sense of the market. I think that your rifles are priced high for the condition that they are in and because neither is all matching. Not a lot there for a collector, so for a couple Russian shooters, I'd say more like $500 and $600 in my opinion. A bit less would not surprise me.
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth. BRE:#01443195 Fathom Realty

Last edited by marksmandowntown; 08-30-2019 at 6:34 PM..
Old 08-30-2019, 6:30 PM

Maybe 600-650 for someone who is looking for a Russian sks on the sights there is a grade number 1 is collector grade 3 is field grade
Old 08-30-2019, 6:44 PM

I'm no expert but item 1 is field grade as others have mentioned.

The shark tooth cuts in the bayonet in item 2 are another issue.

As others have stated I'd curb your expectations but there's a sucker born every day.

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 08-30-2019, 7:05 PM

Fair enough, I'm no expert hence why I asked. Thanks for your input everyone.

I figured with Turner's selling Chinese SKS's for $400, I may be able to get a tad more for Ruskies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI-Tick
To clarify, those aren't 'shark tooth cuts', it is the blanket ruffling I took pics on top of.

Last edited by TriggerHappy86; 08-30-2019 at 7:18 PM..
Old 08-30-2019, 11:58 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI-Tick View Post

That looks like black carpet/rug/blanket - not damage to the edge.

OP - whatever you think they are worth, add $100-$200 if you can manage to take good pics and not these pics from the dungeon. Iím half expecting the Gimp to show up in one any minute.

Wood background and natural, indirect light are your friends. Black background, flash and heavy shadows are not. To say nothing of focus....

Old 08-31-2019, 5:13 AM

keep in mind that Russian prices spiked for several years at a greater rate than the other common variants. However, that spike has tapered off recently, and the price trends are a bit lower than they were just a year ago.

RE: 1952 : the serial number on the trigger guard is modestly different font style-- the shape of the '2' in particular-- which could indicate a replacement part (not a big issue IMHO, as the serial is matching and 1952 was a transition year for many design features including the trigger)

How is the bore on the 1952 dated gun? 1952 saw the transition from non-chrome to Chrome lined bores. If its non-chrome plated, bore condition will be crucial. Usually a photo of the muzzle will reveal if it is chrome plated or not.

Does the stock have a Tula Star and date stamp as well?

Given the stock condition but taking into consideration the matching serials
(and also that California sales will be a bit higher), and assuming that the stock is tula stamped and dated $500-600 is a fair range for the 1952 gun.

RE: 1954: The strike against collectible status: Its a heavy refurb. The black paint, force matched stock, and the EP serial on the trigger guard

$450-500

Either of these could sell for more, but it could take a long time to sell them outside of those ranges.

(Also, Im sure you are aware, but the slings on both rifles are Chinese.)
Old 09-01-2019, 8:00 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Those are decent shooter grade rifles. You might fetch $1K for both. The pictures are lousy and unflattering to the curb appeal they may have. There can be a $500 swing from a Russian beater to a Russian non refurbed all matching factory original rifle.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Thank you for your input everyone, it is greatly appreciated. I'll take better pics and list them as a package price for $1k, should sell w/ all the extras included; minus the 40rd mag I have for it.

WTS: '52 Russian SKS $480

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within." - - General of the Army, Douglas MacArthur, 13 June 1951