Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 03-11-2019, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Cuyama 600 Yd match Saturday, long range Sunday. June Update

June update; Last chance this month. I'll be out at the range Saturday and Sunday.

I'll be around this weekend so if you'd like to come up and try, I'd be glad to help you out, coach you on the line, call your shots, help you score, etc. Just let me know.

This coming Saturday, the Tri-County Rifle Club is hosting an NRA approved Mid-Range (600 yd) Match. Then on Sunday, we’ll host our regular NRA approved Long Range 1,000 yard match

The 600 yd match will consist of three strings, 20 shots each string. (Plus sighters to get you on target) - Total possible score 600 pt.
The 1,000 yd match will consist of two strings, 20 shots each string. (Plus sighters to get you on target) - Total possible score 400 pt.

All of our matches are open to the public. Cost is $20 per match (for non-members) and includes $4.50 fee for score submittal to NRA. $5 discount for club members.

All are welcome to arrive Friday or Saturday and can camp on the property. If you are into running water there’s the Buckhorn Inn in New Cuyama and a couple of places in Taft. Both are about a 30 minute drive from the range.

The range is located east of CA33 about 3 miles south of the 33 and 166 juncture. Look for a green Palma sign east of 33 at the Foothill Rd intersection. Turn into the field and drive straight back to our shade structure. Please be mindful of the fields as they may be planted (stay on the well worn path). Squadding starts at 8am both days.

Bring all your safety equipment, a shooting mat, (although people will be glad to share if necessary) You can shoot with a sling on the larger bullseye (10" X-ring at 1,000 yards) or with a bipod/front rest on the smaller bullseye (5" X-ring).

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 06-14-2019 at 5:39 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 7:42 PM

Thanks Frank, I'm brand new to this. can you describe what a 600 yard match looks like? what does a string consist of? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2019, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
The 600 yd match will consist of three strings, 20 shots each string.
Typically, each "string of fire" has your 20 shots for score plus allowed sighters within a certain time frame. Depending on club/rules it could be 22 minutes for 2 sighters plus 20 for score, or 30 minutes for unlimited sighters plus your 20. This is "slow-fire", one round fired and scored.

Everyone is squadded, 1 squad is shooting, the second squad is recording shots/scores, and the third squad is in the pits lowering/raising targets, marking with spotter disks and scoring shots. Everyone takes turns.

A lot of people are intimidated by the thought of "competition", but it's not a competitive atmosphere at all. Everyone at every club I've ever been to is super friendly and helpful, esp for the newbies. Elevation dope, wind-calls, even informal "coaching" is there to help you out. Give it a try.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 03-13-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Typically, each "string of fire" has your 20 shots for score plus allowed sighters within a certain time frame. Depending on club/rules it could be 22 minutes for 2 sighters plus 20 for score, or 30 minutes for unlimited sighters plus your 20. This is "slow-fire", one round fired and scored.

Everyone is squadded, 1 squad is shooting, the second squad is recording shots/scores, and the third squad is in the pits lowering/raising targets, marking with spotter disks and scoring shots. Everyone takes turns.

A lot of people are intimidated by the thought of "competition", but it's not a competitive atmosphere at all. Everyone at every club I've ever been to is super friendly and helpful, esp for the newbies. Elevation dope, wind-calls, even informal "coaching" is there to help you out. Give it a try.

Sac Valley & Camp Perry,nice!
Old 03-13-2019, 3:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
Sac Valley & Camp Perry,nice!
Isn't it funny how we get so that we can recognize specific firing lines and pits from having spent time at them?
I bet nobody here can name ALL of these locations from these pictures:

Every picture has something distinct that a person who had spent time there would recognize as being a specific range.
Every picture is from a different range.
Old 03-13-2019, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

It's always nice to have the experience of having been to a different range.As shooters ,the more we see,the better we get,and one day Ill get to Cuyama
2nd pic is Ben Avery Range in Phoenix?,3rd pic with the windmills,someplace near Altamont Pass or Tehachapi Pass,range #103 4th pic,last pic is Sac Valley pit,one of the later pics looks like Burbank ,but im not sure.

Last edited by highpower790; 03-13-2019 at 7:23 PM..
Old 03-13-2019, 7:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdiablo View Post
Thanks Frank, I'm brand new to this. can you describe what a 600 yard match looks like? what does a string consist of? Thanks!
Smoothy explained it well, except that we only have two relays shooting usually so you'll shoot, while the other relay marks your target and you record your own score.

I forgot to mention to bring a pen and a clipboard or other semi rigid flat object to hold the score sheet and write on. I use a notebook with paper clips to keep my score sheet from blowing away.

These matches are very low key and you'll hear a lot of banter on the line, except when the wind gusts, then you'll hear a lot of swearing.

Old 03-13-2019, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
2nd pic is Ben Avery Range in Phoenix?,3rd pic with the windmills,someplace near Altamont Pass or Tehachapi Pass,range #103 4th pic,last pic is Sac Valley pit,one of the later pics looks like Burbank ,but im not sure.
The 2nd is Rio Solado Sportsman's Club but that's very close to Ben Avery so I will give you the same type of cactus and local scrub brush!
3rd is indeed Tehachapi
4th is 117a with the two markers dropped on it.
I don't actually know what that little 600yd range is next to it. Maybe 117?
Last is indeed SVSC.
I didn't find any pictures from BRRC on my pc so I don't have any pictures of Burbank in that group.

Oh and in the spirit of this thread, the 5th picture is Cuyama.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 03-13-2019 at 9:10 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 1:06 PM

the last one looks almost like the pits at palomino valley gun club in reno
Old 03-14-2019, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1 View Post
the last one looks almost like the pits at palomino valley gun club in reno
Another place that I have not had been.
Old 03-14-2019, 4:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Photo 1. A Place to Shoot
Photo 3. BLM Tehachapi
Photo 5. TriCounty Gun Club, Cuyama

Old 06-11-2019, 12:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Original post updated for June.

Old 06-16-2019, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, I had one of those types of matches.

Friday night, I loaded 100 rounds of match ammo with the load I developed five years ago for a different barrel.

We had four shooters on Saturday for the 600 yard match, I didn't get out there until the middle of the match so I didn't shoot. The last two strings were into a twitchy left to right wind that was gusting from 5 - 15 mph, just enough to throw you into the 9 ring if you didn't watch it.

After the match we sat around and shot the breeze, talking guns, etc. and then grilled our supper, Five of us camped out overnight and on Sunday morning we had nine shooters up for the 1,000 yard match.

Group 1 shot the first 20 round string and group 2 worked the pits (marking targets) I shot well in the calm early in the morning, windage was easy but I was getting some vertical stringing with the new (old) load.

After the first string was shot the groups changed position and we marked targets while group 2 shot. They shot their first 20 rounds and then took a 20 minute break and shot their second string of 20 shots. In the middle of their second string the wind came up and then the fun began.

When we got back on the line, we could feel and see the wind flags blowing right into our faces and the wind was shifting right and left 30 degrees. Looking through my scope during the prep period I could see the mirage at a full left to right, in front of the target. We discussed it and a couple of us decided on 1.5 minutes left for the first sighter. A minute later the mirage was right to left and all of us shifted back to zero windage and then added a full minute right.

The mirage would be full left and then it would boil, then shift right or go back left during our entire string.

I put a string of shots together of 10, X, 8, X, 10, 8, 10, X, 10. One of the 8s was to the right and one was to the left. The mirage was switching so quickly that every shot was an adventure.

Lots of fun!

For the July match, we're thinking of switching it up with a Palma match (800, 900 and 1,000) on Saturday and the mid range 600 yard match on Sunday. We're also going to move the start time to 7 AM (squadding at 6:30) to try to beat the heat.

Last edited by Fjold; 06-22-2019 at 5:24 PM..