Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-19-2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
There are a few mental cases who still haven't applied ... and it's just as well. The last thing we need is those drama queens screwing it up for everyone else when they get wrapped so tight they snap.

Just smile and add them to your Ignore List.

FWIW, when Gore updates his CCW webpage with new total in a week, he should be coming in right about 3,000 CCWs. While that is far short from what we want it, it will have increased by ~10X in just the past 2 years.

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
Who's the mental case??
Old 08-20-2019, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
My plan was using church security and my rural walk as GC. The coyotes have been very bold of late and I've seen them out along my walk at noon!
That could work, especially given all of the church shootings in recent memory (and the one right here in Poway in recent memory).

If you want to carry in your church, there's a possibility you could do it without a CCW. If the church is private property and you have their permission to have a firearm on the premise, you may be able to legally bring your gun in with you. But it would have to be unloaded/separate from ammunition on your drive to and from it. You might consider giving a lawyer a call and seeing if that's possible.

Quote:
I haven't been able to shoot for a year or so anyway, so once I'm able to get in some practice I'll start the process.
It'll probably take you at least a couple of months, maybe more before you actually get the 1st interview. And even after the 1st interview, it's going to be a few months before you get an approval letter. I'd recommend just giving them a call and scheduling your first appointment now if you're interested in going for it. You'll have plenty of time to get to the range and practice.
Old 08-20-2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_user View Post
That could work, especially given all of the church shootings in recent memory (and the one right here in Poway in recent memory).

If you want to carry in your church, there's a possibility you could do it without a CCW. If the church is private property and you have their permission to have a firearm on the premise, you may be able to legally bring your gun in with you. But it would have to be unloaded/separate from ammunition on your drive to and from it. You might consider giving a lawyer a call and seeing if that's possible.

It'll probably take you at least a couple of months, maybe more before you actually get the 1st interview. And even after the 1st interview, it's going to be a few months before you get an approval letter. I'd recommend just giving them a call and scheduling your first appointment now if you're interested in going for it. You'll have plenty of time to get to the range and practice.
Actually, we meet in the city's community center. I discussed legally carrying on city property with an FFL friend (whom I worked for, was in the business since the mid-70's and has since passed) and he advised that as long as we were paying rent (which we are) we "owned" the facility and carrying was legal. I would need the CCW as, last I checked, transport was only legal between the range and home (granted, I haven't checked in a while).

I hope to get shooting in a few weeks; had open heart a year ago and a couple titanium plates installed to stabilize my sternum about 8 weeks ago.

THANKS for the advise!
Old 08-20-2019, 3:47 PM

If I apply for CCW in San Diego, will my name be disclosed to the public? I have seen partial application letter published online. Kind of scary!
Old 08-20-2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman View Post
If I apply for CCW in San Diego, will my name be disclosed to the public? I have seen partial application letter published online. Kind of scary!
If you just filed an application and were denied I’m not sure. However if you were issued a permit YES.

If memory serves, since a 1986 court case (CBS vs. Block) anyone is allowed to file a request to view a list of CCW holders in a specific county through a public records act. However you’d need to know the county and you’d get a full list as opposed to searching for someone specific.

Rob
Old 08-20-2019, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman View Post
Well if they ever were it would be even more good cause justification.

I've seen stories in the past where some anti group wanted a public map of all CCW and were not successful.

I read many of justifications too published on line.
It's possible if you already knew someone you might be able to deduce from that even with redactions. Assuming you went through and read any of them.

And I suppose there is always a chance some hacker could get hold of something.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 08-20-2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Like what? Still requiring an unreasonable "good cause?" Were I in Riverside or SB counties I wouldn't need Gore's arbitrary "good cause." Peruta wouldn't have been necessary if Gore was as "liberal" as other county Sheriffs. I got my AZ permit in 7 days; the entire process via mail.

Until Gore opens up, to me he's still anti-2nd amendment. No, I haven't applied as I'm sure my "good cause" won't be good enough.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Compare the number of permits issued under his tenure with the number issued in the previous 30 years. You think he’s still anti-2A?? You don’t have to tell us about XYZ outside of SD County because Gore has no say/control of those areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My plan was using church security and my rural walk as GC. The coyotes have been very bold of late and I've seen them out along my walk at noon! I haven't been able to shoot for a year or so anyway, so once I'm able to get in some practice I'll start the process.

Do NOT use church security as GC, that will 100% get you denied as you would be required to have a Guard Card for that.

CCW is for "SELF" defense, you can use the fact that you're concerned with getting there and back, walking by yourself, etc, but leave the security comment and behavior out.
Old 08-20-2019, 7:28 PM

**** deleted ****

Last edited by SpookyWatcher; 08-20-2019 at 7:32 PM..
Old 08-20-2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Do NOT use church security as GC, that will 100% get you denied as you would be required to have a Guard Card for that.

CCW is for "SELF" defense, you can use the fact that you're concerned with getting there and back, walking by yourself, etc, but leave the security comment and behavior out.
THANK YOU! I didn't consider that. I do on occasion take home an expensive piece of equipment.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:30 AM

@ezaircon4jc The fact that you're retired with a recent open heart surgery/plates/etc, making you part of a vulnerable population, could potentially be a good thing to touch on as well.
Old 08-24-2019, 6:11 PM

Just got back from a 2hr 1-on-1 handgun training session w/ Bill Desy at the GlockStore.

Overall pretty satisfied with working with him. He had me shoot a few targets, assessed some things I was doing wrong, and then we moved on to a number of different drills to practice with. I left there with a good amount of confidence in knowing what to practice and what to pay attention to in order to improve my handgun marksmanship.

Unfortunately our schedules didn't work out so I won't be taking his full CCW class. I'm scheduled to take my class next week at Discount Gun Mart w/ Kyle Dau (who Bill seemed to know personally and said that he was good). I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-24-2019, 9:58 PM

Got my approval via email this past Thursday, 62 days after the 2nd interview. I hope all you other hopeful applicants receive some good news soon! Hang in there.
Old 08-27-2019, 1:34 PM

Default Approval letter

I was just emailed an approval letter this afternoon. 66 days after my second appointment. Now to choose an 8 hour course... good luck to those waiting, mine went longer than 40 days due to verifications. I should not have submitted as much supporting info as I did. Yay me.

Rob
Old 08-27-2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1559 View Post
I was just emailed an approval letter this afternoon. 66 days after my second appointment. Now to choose an 8 hour course... good luck to those waiting, mine went longer than 40 days due to verifications. I should not have submitted as much supporting info as I did. Yay me.

Rob
Great news, glad to here that!!
Old 09-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Finally picked up my permit.

I took the class at Discount Gun Mart. Overall was fairly good. I would have preferred to take it w/ Bill Desy at CCWUSA but our schedules didn't match up. If you're looking at scheduling a class that's where I'd probably recommend you make your first call.

From what I've been hearing from instructors / other people in the community, nobody is really getting denied for their good cause statement anymore. If it's not up to snuff, the clerks will help you make it up to snuff. If you're unable to do that, then you probably aren't trying. Otherwise, it seems to me that you're only going to get denied by having a criminal or otherwise eyebrow-raising past, or you get caught lying on your application/correspondence.

If you want a CCW, don't be afraid to apply.
Old 09-09-2019, 1:43 PM

current wait time for an appointment to drop off the app is out to March 6th. They may start working some saturdays to reduce the backlog. I plan to use as my Gc the fact i have a C&R licence and travel around the state/county to buy/sell
Old 09-09-2019, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger2 View Post
current wait time for an appointment to drop off the app is out to March 6th. They may start working some saturdays to reduce the backlog. I plan to use as my Gc the fact i have a C&R licence and travel around the state/county to buy/sell
Be sure to point out that you must give your address to effectively the general public when you use your FFL03 to purchase from someone. What they do with that info could be anything. Hey this is an address for someone with guns, probably many valuable ones. So huge GC right there.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 PM

My final appointment was today, got issued my permit. My clerk was Miranda and she went over everything and made sure I understood before I left. When you pick up your permit you are given a small piece of paper that details what documents to bring for your renewal. I’m wondering if this is a new thing?

Also they have a way of laminating the permit so it is as small as possible. Yeah, it’s still huge. And mine is already becoming unglued. I hope the Sheriff understands that a plastic card would be more durable and not look homemade

Rob

Last edited by Rob1559; 09-09-2019 at 11:33 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 5:23 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats Rob1559
Old 09-10-2019, 5:52 AM
Calguns Addict

A year ago I was given what I would need to renew so I don’t think that is a new thing.

Old 09-14-2019, 5:37 AM

Quote:
My final appointment was today, got issued my permit. My clerk was Miranda and she went over everything and made sure I understood before I left. When you pick up your permit you are given a small piece of paper that details what documents to bring for your renewal. I’m wondering if this is a new thing?

Also they have a way of laminating the permit so it is as small as possible. Yeah, it’s still huge. And mine is already becoming unglued. I hope the Sheriff understands that a plastic card would be more durable and not look homemade

Rob

I was given the same paperwork a few months back, welcome aboard Rob, glad to have you!!
Old 09-15-2019, 6:12 AM

Quote:

Rob

Congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2019, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Current CCW Permits Issued: 3088

An increase of 114 in one month!

I bet a bunch of you NEVER thought you'd see the day when SDCSO would readily issue CCWs to "regular" (i.e., "little") people, much less that Sheriff Gore would be the one doing it.

The SO usually updates the number of CCWs in the last week of the month.

Carry on!

Last edited by Paladin; 09-25-2019 at 5:31 PM..
Old 09-25-2019, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

The more the better, it will help establish the norm when the next Sheriff takes over and keep at bay any reversals of policy.

Old 09-25-2019, 9:52 AM

If you're on the fence... MAKE AN APPOINTMENT NOW!!!! Thanks to excellent help from Rob I got off my butt and called this morning. When Rob told me they were months out for appointments I was thinking 3 or so. Not 7 months! My earliest is 4/2/2020! The nice lady on the phone (Lisa?) told me not that long ago they were assigning July 2020 dates, so the time frame is getting shorter. She said they will call if they can move the date up any. She also told me there is a chance my 1st interview may be over the phone or I could have both interviews on the same day. The Sheriff's site is unclear on the total cost, but it's $156.14; of which $105.63 is non-refundable.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:51 PM

Had my second interview last Friday. Still in disbelief I got that far. The gentlemen who processed my application told me the usual spiel but he also mentioned there are only a handful of guys (retirees working part time for extra cash) actually conducting the investigations and reviewing the forms.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Hello everyone, first-time poster here. I figured I should post my experience since this thread was very helpful throughout my application process. I just received my approval today! It took 75 days from my second interview.
Old 10-15-2019, 9:00 AM

Just called this morning and to make an appointment. They lady said the earliest would be of April, 30th 2020. She also mentioned they will most likely call and move the appointment up before my given date.
Old 10-19-2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
Had my second interview last Friday. Still in disbelief I got that far. The gentlemen who processed my application told me the usual spiel but he also mentioned there are only a handful of guys (retirees working part time for extra cash) actually conducting the investigations and reviewing the forms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARCO View Post
Hello everyone, first-time poster here. I figured I should post my experience since this thread was very helpful throughout my application process. I just received my approval today! It took 75 days from my second interview.
How long between the first and second interview?
Old 10-22-2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
How long between the first and second interview?
I had the option to choose a date and time for the second interview. I chose 1 week later but I could have very easily gone in the next day.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

In 1 month Gore has gone from 3088 to 3225 CCWs issued -- an increase of 137. While it's far short of what we want, it's far better than it was 3 years go (when the total was ~1/10th of what it is).

Old 11-05-2019, 9:59 AM

I finally have something to contribute to this forum instead of just being that weird guy who always lurks! I received my approval letter 89 days after the second appointment. It took approximately 5 months from the time I called to schedule the initial appointment and then 3 or so weeks from the initial appointment to the second appointment.

My GC was hunting at night in Imperial County and remote areas of Cleveland National Forest. I was asked to provide evidence that I actually hunt and I was told acceptable documentation included hunting licenses, photos, maps, etc.

Hopefully someone else who is on the fence on applying reads this and gets pushed into taking the plunge. It's not a fast process by any means but at least there's process. Thank you to everyone here who helped both directly and indirectly over the years. It's much appreciated.

Last edited by Titania; 11-06-2019 at 9:26 AM..
Old 11-05-2019, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post
Hopefully someone else who is on the fence on applying reads this and gets pushed into taking the plunge. It's not a fast process by any means but at least there's process. Thank you to everyone here who helped both directly and indirectly over the years. It's much appreciated.
Congrats!

Best way to thank is by becoming a member of San Diego County Gun Owners PAC -- they're the ones who got Gore to change his Good Cause policy. https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/

Also, don't forget to support and vote for Gore if he runs again.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:

...Also, don't forget to support and vote for Gore if he runs again.
While I'm pleased with Gore's change of policy in the last two years, and the first to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised he has actually kept his promise and not reversed course after the election, I'd RATHER have a Sheriff that believes that self defense is sufficient good cause.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 11-09-2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:

Also, don't forget to support and vote for Gore if he runs again.
LOL
Old 11-10-2019, 1:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
While I'm pleased with Gore's change of policy in the last two years, and the first to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised he has actually kept his promise and not reversed course after the election,
I'm like the NRA. They're one of the most effective political orgs around. They have a rule: they support a PROVEN pro 2nd A incumbent even over a CLAIMED more pro 2nd A challenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
I'd RATHER have a Sheriff that believes that self defense is sufficient good cause.
I used to be like you until I read Gore's rationale.

SDCGOP used to have a letter from Sheriff Gore that explains why he doesn't accept SD = GC. It has to do with CA's CCW law. It requires "proof" of the existence of the claimed GC. How do you prove "self defense"?

On the other hand, you can easily "prove" that you regularly make payment deposits and/or cash withdraws at ATMs late at night and/or in sketchy neighborhoods by providing the deposit/withdraw receipts that have date, time and location on them, printed out crime mapping map.

Dittos with filling your car's gas tank late at night and/or sketchy neighborhoods. Print out crime mapping map for the area and use receipts.

Dittos with "avid shooter" carrying several semi auto handguns and rifles and hundreds of rounds of ammo for each. Show receipt for gun club membership, photo of you signing in on roster (day, time), photos of you shooting/competing, etc.

If someone is willing to get off their lazy a-- and work to apply they can get a San Diego CCW. If not, then not.
Old 11-10-2019, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
LOL
I've added you to my Ignore List.

LOL
Old 11-10-2019, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Vote for Gore?
How strange does that sound after YEARS of wanting him out over not issuing CCWs?

If he is still the best choice for CCWers, so be it.

Old 11-10-2019, 7:59 PM

Sorry for the wordy post, but I consider this a very important topic.

I have read Gore's rationale and frankly I find it unconvincing. Allow me to respectfully explain why in five parts.

First, many of the Sheriffs in the state who are all operating under the same law do accept self defense as sufficient good cause. Do you believe, or do you think Gore believes, that all these other Sheriffs are violating the law? If that’s true, what a scandal!

Second, while the statute does require proof that “good cause exists for issuance of the license” it equally requires proof that “the applicant is of good moral character”. I was never asked to prove, nor did I ever provide, a shred of proof that I am of good moral character, and NOBODY, including Gore sweats for one second over this ignored provision. I have never heard of a single Sheriff requiring such proof, Why? Because it’s just as difficult to prove as a desire for self defense.

Third, the statue requires proof that good cause exists. It says nothing that indicates that a desire for self defense is not good cause or that one’s need for self defense must be greater than “other members of the general public and causes him or her to be placed in harm’s way”. There is no requirement in the statute for THAT to be the correct standard rather than an “ordinary” desire or need for self defense. As far as I can tell, THAT standard was made up out of whole cloth. Under that standard, half the law abiding citizenry could always be denied their rights because by definition, half of us are always at lower than “average” risk. Circling back to good moral cause, nobody believes that the requirement for good moral cause is a requirement that it be above and beyond that of the morals of the ordinary law abiding citizen; in fact I think most people would think such a requirement to be absurd. So, on what possible basis would you or Gore declare that the good cause must be above and beyond the ordinary citizen? Their requirements for proof are on identical footing in the statute, and there is no basis for treating them differently.

Fourth, if we are really going to take seriously the need for “proof”, the proof of my need and desire for the self defense is the fact that I filled out a CCW application, put “self defense” for good cause and signed it under the penalty of perjury. That is proof.

Fifth, I don’t buy Gore’s story of a sudden conversion after talking to a real estate agent, after years of pleas from equally worthy citizens and years in court with the Peruta case. I think his current stand is nothing more than a convenient fig leaf he had to come up with when faced with a credible opponent who would issue for self defense He had to start issuing but did not want lose too much support from the left by going to a self defense standard. I think it was nothing more than a political calculation, not a principled stance based on the details of statutory interpretation or else he could have adopted his current standard many years ago.

Finally, I understand your points about gas stations and ATM’s. I guess my point is that I should not have to intentionally visit unsafe places that I would not ordinarily choose just to prove that I’m at heightened risk, and it’s rather perverse for a Sheriff to expect me to do so. Someone could just as easily look at the same evidence and decide it shows somebody with poor judgment, risk awareness, and risk aversion and decide that is exactly the kind of person he does NOT want to carry a gun—just the kind that would end up in a situation where use of the gun might be necessary. Nobody should be penalized or have their rights curtailed because they choose to live their life as safely as they can.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.