Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 03-27-2021, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Could I get a recommendation on an OWB holster for a P365??

I'm looking at a new OWB holster to replace my Aliengear holster I currently use. I can't stand it, it feels too tight, awkward to use your body as part of the tensioning on it, and I just hate it with the Kore Essentials belt I use. I'm wanting a well made leather holster OWB either on hip or small of back. VERY open to suggestions and I'm not opposed to a leather/Kydex combo hybrid unit either.
Old 03-27-2021, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

For leather, check Milt Sparks. But you'll pay and wait for it...but it's worth it. Heard good things about Andrews Leather too but don't have any direct experience with them.

Leather/Kydex hybrids are usually IWB holsters. But maybe someones making an OWB version of some sort.

If tightness is a problem, you may want to look at kydex as it's usually more adjustable.

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-27-2021, 7:55 PM

The P365 is so small and I think best utilized as IWB. I have a couple IWB holsters from Kusiak Leather and am now quite the fan of them. But they have OWB also.

https://kusiakleather.com/collections/owb-holsters
Old 03-28-2021, 5:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

These are the best holsters on the market for either IWB or OWB IMO. I have one of each from this company and I have not been disappointed. Reasonably priced as well.

www.aliengearholsters.com

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 03-28-2021, 6:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
These are the best holsters on the market for either IWB or OWB IMO. I have one of each from this company and I have not been disappointed. Reasonably priced as well.

So, I guess you didn't bother to read the OP. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 03-28-2021, 6:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I'm looking at a new OWB holster to replace my Aliengear holster I currently use. I can't stand it, it feels too tight, awkward to use your body as part of the tensioning on it, and I just hate it with the Kore Essentials belt I use. I'm wanting a well made leather holster OWB either on hip or small of back. VERY open to suggestions and I'm not opposed to a leather/Kydex combo hybrid unit either.
I've been using a Versacarry OWB for my EDC for a while now and really like it. I'm switching my EDC and bought a new Versacarry for it and for one of my other carry guns, a Sig P320. They have a few to choose from for the P365.

https://versacarry.com/search.php?pa...rch_query=p365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 03-28-2021, 7:04 AM

For OWB I have a Milt Sparks and it works well. The lip is reinforced with steel , but even so ,returning when reholstering the opening flattens a bit. Not as easy to reholster as a kydex which I used for AIWB. Winter only. On me , it prints under a T in the 3 o’clock position and my shirt bunches up when bending over.
I took a class with it and thought I need a kydex OWB after . I’ve had no luck with Aliengear products.
Old 03-28-2021, 8:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
So, I guess you didn't bother to read the OP. Good job.
My mistake. I glossed over the OP post. My apologies!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

Old 03-28-2021, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

As far as another excellent OWB holster I also like Speztgear. They make great holsters as well.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post

My current OWB is the Alien Gear and I hate it.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I may have to give Milt Sparks a shot. Nice thing is I have an in with them as they are local to me, and I can actually go out to their shop and get it fast tracked rather than the 24 weeks lead time they typically give. I know one of his relatives who offered helping me out.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:55 AM

Aliengear gets a lot of people with their prolific marketing on Facebook and Instagram. I’ve found their holsters are not very good. Milt Sparks makes a great leather holster. Allow me to also recommend Mitch Rosen, another custom leather holster maker. I have used a Mitch Rosen 5JR every day for 3 years for work. No other OWB holster I've used brings the handgun in as close to the body as the Mitch Rosen. That being said, I wish the holster rode a bit higher.

Last edited by bridgeway; 03-28-2021 at 3:07 PM..
Old 03-28-2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
I may have to give Milt Sparks a shot. Nice thing is I have an in with them as they are local to me, and I can actually go out to their shop and get it fast tracked rather than the 24 weeks lead time they typically give. I know one of his relatives who offered helping me out.
If you have an insider at Milt Sparks, by all means, do it! I have two holsters for my P365. One is a Sparks VM2, which is excellent. It's IWB, though. My OWB for the P365 is a TT Gunleather Snap Removable Pancake. I really wanted the Sparks Axiom, which is the same style, but TT turnaround time is two weeks. Sparks is better, TT is quicker... for me.
Old 03-28-2021, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My current OWB is the Alien Gear and I hate it.
Understandable. Fortunately there are a lot of other and much better options. If you want leather and have access to Sparks DEFINITELY go with them. They make an outstanding product but note they do tend to lean toward the tight side. A quality leather holster will take a fair amount of break-in...usually between 250-500 presentations. And if it's still too tight after that, follow Sparks advice and put the gun in the plastic bag that the holster shipped with and let that sit in the holster for a bit.

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-28-2021, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I got one off ebay a while back that I actually like quite a bit.
At the time he didnt offer one with a sweat guard which is my only complaint as carrying all day it will chafe a little.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 04-11-2021, 4:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, so far so good, but I got one from a guy on Etsy, and it's of great quality. I'm trying to wear in the holster with a good belt, and it's going to take some time, but it's comfy from the get-go. He burnished the edges, it's smooth as could be, customized the leather for MY liking, and its every bit as nice as any don hume, or mitch rosen I've seen. I can't believe the price is only $60 to my house.
Old 04-11-2021, 4:51 PM

I have had good luck with Aker Holsters.
Old 04-12-2021, 3:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Spetzgear makes great OWB. holsters.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3Pros View Post
This holster is used by the US Secret Service, is $40, and made in the USA.

https://rcsgear.com/catalog/product/...b/category/36/
I just bought one from a guy named Robert Cobb who makes holsters on Etsy. this one looks really good as far as being a kydex type of holster or just polymer whatever it's made of. I'm going to have to give one of these a shot and see how it goes. I really like the thought of leather but I want to have a good outside waistband holster that is made out of plastic as well.
Old 05-08-2021, 4:40 PM

Hidden Hybrid Holsters makes a really good one. I have it for my Sig P238 and am about to order it for my P365. Pricing is reasonable and turnaround time is excellent.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:01 PM

Hello, we offer a custom leather small of the back in either a butt up or butt down position. We offer a standard leather holster or a fully lined holster. We have many OWB holster options to choose from and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you

Azula Gun Holsters
www.AzulaGunHolsters.com

Last edited by Azula Gun Holsters; 08-13-2021 at 4:21 PM..
Old 08-16-2021, 4:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

While I worship AlienGear holsters most of the time, the best holster I’ve found for a P365 is the safariland ALS - it’s a thumb release so someone can’t grab your firearm — ‘course I’m in San Francisco a lot and that scares the heck outta me.

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 08-26-2021, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
lol I can't believe you're making small of back holsters in the 21st century.
Have you used one? They're fantastic in certain circumstances. I own two of them and they're great for road trips.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mitch Rosen, ElPaso Saddlery, or Kirkpatrick.
Old 08-27-2021, 6:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
How to tell me you haven't taken a concealed carry course from a nationally recognized instructor without telling me you haven't taken a concealed carry course from a nationally recognized instructor.

Ask a police officer why they don't carry blocky pieces of metal at the base of their spine.

Naw, nobody of recognition, just of of the greatest female shooters of many generations. I took multi-day courses from the woman who ran the entire DC Metro police force. Olympic gold medal champion, multiple medals, and a career spanning probably more than your lifetime.

"Elizabeth, a 1970 graduate from Cardinal Newman High School, retired as a lieutenant in the patrol department with the Washington, D.C. Police Force. After learning to shoot with the D.C. police department in 1980, she went o¬n to become a five-time women's police revolver champion and a four-time women's police service revolver champion. At age 52, Libby had the distinction of being the oldest U.S. Olympian at the 2004 Olympic Games. Her hobbies include gardening and baking."

Zero cred because she doesn't have a tactical beard. Different strokes my dude. I've taken numerous courses, but because I prefer a SOB holster in a couple of scenarios, I simply must not be tacticool enough for you.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-shooting...libby-callahan

Old 08-27-2021, 7:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How does a person draw a SOB holstered gun while seated in a car? While holstered I would also think it would be the most uncomfortable of all styles for driving. I have not tried it first hand, so maybe there is a dynamic I have not considered.

To follow up on Libby Callahan, did she say anything about holster selection? All of the firearms instructors I ever had in the military and later civilian courses taught by survivors of actual shootouts have emphasized the disadvantages of SOB carry.
Old 08-27-2021, 9:51 AM

How is a firearm sitting on the base of your spin "Great for road trips"

I have an athletics build so I can carry appendix no problem.

No issues driving for long periods of time.

Unless your body doesn't allow you to carry appendix, then I understand.
Mrs. Lockdown
4.20.21 Applied | 6.4.21 LiveScan Clears | 7.22.21 Interview & Training Submitted | 11.9.21 Issued
4.3.23 Renewal | 9.xx.23 Interview | 8.xx.23 Training | 9.xx.23 Issued
Old 08-28-2021, 12:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If I want to shoot air guns in the olympics I'll look her up. Pretty funny you think being an olympian means anything about concealed carry. Not all training is equal. Just like saying "I went to college". Some go to Eaton or Oxford, you went to the Phoenix Online University of CCW training.

What happens when you slip and fall with a gun at the small of your back; you don't need to be a Team USA member to know you're going to spend your life in a wheel chair. Ask a police officer why they don't carry anything bulky there.

How many times in your life have you been unfortunately flashed by some dudes plummers crack as he bends over? That's you flashing the world your SOB holster.

How much physical control do you over a gun that's positioned behind your back? Practically zero.

Lay on your back, have some MMA gorilla on top of you pounding your face into jelly. Know go access your pistol with 400 lbs of pressure on top of it.

How do you even live fire practice drawing a SOB holster? What class would even allow that? You'd flag half the line.

Is this your instructor?

Galco; Why we don't recommend Small Of Back holsters

It's time to ditch small of back carry and this is why

You must have actually missed her bio then. Her bio was that she was the DC tactical firearms instructor for like 20 some odd years. She trained SWAT she trains tactics and yes we spoke a lot about holsters. You seem pretty proud of yourself without having the ability to actually read what I posted.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown.- View Post
How is a firearm sitting on the base of your spin "Great for road trips"

I have an athletics build so I can carry appendix no problem.

No issues driving for long periods of time.

Unless your body doesn't allow you to carry appendix, then I understand.
No I'm not fat so by no means is the issue. The way my seat is set up in my car, the way it rests against my body is absolutely fine on road trips. Your mileage may vary. Again different strokes for different folks and everybody is different so what works for one may not work for another. You can tell me all of the what ifs but I live in a pretty mellow area so I'm really not that worried about carjacking and needing to access my weapon in a super tacticool nothing. I don't like appendix carry and prefer not to carry at the three position in my car due to wear the seatbelt is being uncomfortable and having too much bulk into one area.
Old 11-07-2021, 5:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Not to get too far off topic, but the a phenom Olympian shoots is simply not something for a mere mortal. Also, this Metro DC woman. Being a police target champ and tactical expert are two different things.No? In DC, even municipal, I have to wonder how much politics affected her assignment as instructor.

Back on topic. I have an Alien Gear IWB that I rarely use for my P229, but I used it the other day for a special presentation and I was surprised how well it worked since I had to wear Levis with a 37 waist and it was bought to be used inside 40" W Levis and my waist was still as fat.

Last edited by Chewy65; 11-07-2021 at 5:05 AM..
Old 11-17-2021, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Besides the high cost/long wait famous holster makers and the generic one size fits all pistols holsters sellers,

who else are fellow P365 owners recommending.

I have no interest in Alien gear (tried it, hated it) nor SOB or Appendix holsters.

I need two types IWB and OWB, the latter in leather preferred...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 11-18-2021, 6:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you're just looking for regular holsters, there are a handful on Etsy that I think rival any of the big famous makers. These are guys who do it for some extra side money that are very good at what they do. I'm very very happy with a couple different holsters that I have found from private makers on Etsy and would easily go with him again. You need to look for the style you want, then take a look at the details but I'm more than happy with mine
Old 11-25-2021, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you're just looking for regular holsters, there are a handful on Etsy that I think rival any of the big famous makers.
These are guys who do it for some extra side money that are very good at what they do.
I'm very very happy with a couple different holsters that I have found from private makers on Etsy and would easily go with him again.
You need to look for the style you want, then take a look at the details but I'm more than happy with mine
I've owned several holsters from Etsy.

All were purchased with an eye to save money and to avoid over buying/spending.

None were bad and all were relatively cheap.

Since my last post, I grabbed three name brand holsters. I bought them all at a discount...

Two were for general concealment and one for cold weather carry/comfort...

A Black Point Mini wing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A 1791 GUNLEATHER Ultra Custom Leather Holster

Desantis Thumb Break Mini Slide OWB

I'll report back here after I have had some time to live with each of them....

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 11-29-2021, 10:35 AM

Bravo Concealment , they have IWB and OWB. Good quality , had them for over 5 years and reliable. Warranty is unbeatable. Check out their YouTube channel too if any questions.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:24 AM

Anyone have experience with Tulster holsters?

they giving 30% cyber monday sale
Old 11-29-2021, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

I've always used BladeTech OWB kydex holsters, but admittedly not for CCW, jsut for classes. Have them for my G17, XD9, M9A1 and 1911. Also have a Safariland ALS holster that's a fantastic OWN holster w/ retention, but probably a bit bulky for CCW.

Also makes some nice leather OWB holsters.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 11-29-2021 at 11:46 AM..