Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-07-2021, 3:34 AM

Default Are there penalties for IMPERSONATING an FFL?

Gunbroker lately has been inundated with scammers. I'm here perusing looking for anything I could PPT, and I found this DE in Hawthorne, CA.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897183817

So I reach out to this guy around 2AM and within minutes I get a response via text from a San Diego number. He was insisting on shipping the firearm, and I had expressed since I was a CA resident and not exempt, couldn't I just meet him for PPT? The story was that he was acting as an "agent" for a CA resident, even though he claims he himself lives in CA. Then he proceeds to ask for a 50% deposit of $2000, to "make sure I'm serious", and then to contact the "super old guy" who owns the gun.

So I press this guy to just put me in contact with the actual owner of the pistol, and we all can meet at an FFL to facilitate the PPT. Guy won't budge. I ask this guy if he is an 01 FFL consigning the pistol and he sends me a picture of an FFL from North Dakota, who does industrial fabrication.

Was my request to just have all of us meet at an FFL to process the sale unreasaonable on my part? I didn't think so, and when I asked if I could just meet him in person to give him the deposit he got all pissy and told me to pound sand.

With all these scammers resorting to impersonating FFLs or business entities, I'm just curious if there are severe penalties if you're caught pretending to be an FFL. And is this commonplace?
Old 04-07-2021, 4:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, the gunbroker account has 0 sales and is trying to make a sale off system. I was surprised to have that as my first sale experience in gunbroker, ffl contacted me and we settled using a CC but would I do it again? Heck no, just to save a few bucks, put me in the sysyem so I don't get scammed out of my hard earned money.
Old 04-07-2021, 4:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I know what you're thinking, maybe these people really don't know technology and all the laws in CA... My DE was facilitated by guy who knew the forum better than his friend and even then I'm the one that searched him out. Then the guy that "owned" the DE said he had to go get it and in my mind I was thinking "what"? Maybe he had 2 residences or had them in storage... It went through at a CA FFL and all was fine, gun works great. But yeah, watch out for scammers.

Report them and they'll learn a lesson, maybe they can start anew...

Last edited by tabascoz28; 04-07-2021 at 4:43 AM..
Old 04-07-2021, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabascoz28 View Post
I know what you're thinking, maybe these people really don't know technology and all the laws in CA... My DE was facilitated by guy who knew the forum better than his friend and even then I'm the one that searched him out. Then the guy that "owned" the DE said he had to go get it and in my mind I was thinking "what"? Maybe he had 2 residences or had them in storage... It went through at a CA FFL and all was fine, gun works great. But yeah, watch out for scammers.

Report them and they'll learn a lesson, maybe they can start anew...
I did reach out to the actual FFL holder. IT IS DEFINITELY A SCAM.

The image sent to me presenting it as a valid FFL certificate shows it had expired on April 1st, 2021. The actual FFL contacted me just now and told me it wasn't him, and that he lives in Maryland, not North Dakota. I presented him all the correspondence and he will be sending all the info I gave him to Gunbroker and maybe even ATF. Guy was fuming.

The gamut of scammers has been prolific since the whole panic started. And I thought this was behavior reserved just for Armslist, but I guess not.
Old 04-07-2021, 5:04 AM

It’s a scam. You don’t need to press the guy to put you in contact with the actual owner because there isn’t one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 04-07-2021, 5:08 AM

Scam for sure.
All his firearms have different backgrounds.
Found it on GUNSAMERICA from Legendary Guns, 97% feedback

Not sure if this covers falsely stating I am a FFL.
If he never sends it and only takes your money.
Quote:
A person who willfully engages in the busi-ness of dealing in firearms without the required license is subject to criminal prosecution, and can be sentenced to up to five years in prison, fined up to $250,000, or both.
Old 04-07-2021, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillman View Post
Scam for sure.
All his firearms have different backgrounds.
Found it on GUNSAMERICA from Legendary Guns, 97% feedback

Not sure if this covers falsely stating I am a FFL.
If he never sends it and only takes your money.
Good catch.

I only made the assertion he is pretending to be an FFL since he presented an expired FFL certificate and claimed he was an 01 acting as a sales agent for "old guy". Whatever the hell that means, lol.
Old 04-07-2021, 5:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I noticed the different backgrounds and the potentially illegal Tec9 (for CA sales). But I've been trying to get images and do google image searches too. Just to see what comes up throughout the interweb. My FFL gave me their certificate so I could cut out the middle man but that was after man many transfers and they knew they could trust me.
Old 04-07-2021, 5:15 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Gunbroker has now put a notice on the page asking for people to report if it is suspected fraud, but have not taken that seller down yet

Old 04-07-2021, 11:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
Are there penalties for IMPERSONATING an FFL?
Apparently not; the counter-jockeys at Turners do it all the time.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 04-08-2021, 6:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There are penalties for just about everything now days.
Old 04-08-2021, 7:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Gunbroker has now put a notice on the page asking for people to report if it is suspected fraud, but have not taken that seller down yet
I reported it last night. Gave them a link to the GA listing and they still haven't taken it down.

I also sent the Legendary Guns in AZ that someone is using their pictures for a scam and sent them a link to the GB auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 04-08-2021, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Gunbroker makes money whether fake or real item is sold. If they allow blatant lies and counterfeit firearms from Rocke Guns, I don't see them taking quick to any action on scammers.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post
Apparently not; the counter-jockeys at Turners do it all the time.
zing!

Old 04-11-2021, 10:04 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Someone (an experienced user) "bought" the DE and all the other guns.

That buyer has now marked the seller as a scammer
https://www.gunbroker.com/a/feedback/profile/6571596

The seller has relisted many of the guns, including a P210A with buy it price of $1200, lol
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/897621326

Last edited by SkyHawk; 04-11-2021 at 1:12 PM..