Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silaic7 View Post
same here..

My initial renewal was rejected, they asked me to provide FFL03 number, but on the online form there is no option to put FFL03, I put the FFL03 on the comments and re-submitted it, status says "being processed". My COE will expire in 3 days ;-(

By the way I don't have real ID yet but I uploaded CA DL with no "Federal Limits", they didn't say anything. Hopefully it will go thru.
Follow up, I just checked my COE and it was approved, had to login and see.
now I have 365 days to find ammo before it expires again.
Old 01-11-2021, 1:15 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I did the same yesterday. It expires on the 16th, but shows renewal. I submitted a couple weeks ago, not sure what day it actually went through.
Old 01-11-2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Gun store employees need COE, all other FFLs besides 03 need COE, ammunition vendors and their employees need COE. It is not just 03 FFLs.

I am curious if your 03FFL is entered into your CFARS profile - and they still asked you to provide it for your COE?

When I fill out forms and such on CFARS, my 03 FFL auto populates any field where it is needed, because it is entered into my CFARS user profile
Thanks for the info about the other COE uses.
And, I didn't know about the profile info - I just filled it in and added the 03FFL.
Turned out they approved my COE 2 days ago, I guess just after I resubmitted.
My COE had expired and I was pleased to see the new expiration is 1 year from renewal, not the prior expiration date. I shouldn't complain, the renewal only took 3 weeks I think.

NRA Endowment Life Member
NRA Instructor, Basic Pistol
SAF Life Member
AzCDL Member
03 FFL
CA COE
Old 01-12-2021, 12:01 PM

I also didn't know about the profile info. I originally submitted my renewal on Dec. 17, got kicked back for FFL03 number on the 21st. Resubmitted, got kicked back on the 10th of Jan. due to me being an idiot and not putting the correct info. Put the FFL number in both the comments and the profile, got approved on the 11th. Think it's a little ridiculous that I have to justify getting the CoE after I paid all the fees and did fingerprints.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:03 PM

It's the CA DOJ....like any other governmental agency, esp. in CA, you pay them your $$ and sometimes (or many times) you have to deal with their issues. Best thing to do is to remain calm and take care of it as soon as possible to make your like easier.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:11 PM

I had renewed my "collector" COE several times and they never asked for my FFL03 number until this time.

Times are a changin'
Old 04-08-2021, 5:17 PM

mine expires in 71 days, thought i would renew now so i dont forget but I dont see an option to renew. Am I missing something??
Old 04-08-2021, 5:57 PM
Banned

I think 60 days earliest they let you renew.
Old 04-09-2021, 8:11 PM

locomike,

60 days before your current one is set to expire....sometimes 59/58 (I have noticed for me) is generally earliest you can renew. Otherwise, all you will probably see is "You have XXX number of days until yours expires" or something to that effect. Basically, tells you how many days your current COE is good until. Like you, I wanted to renew earlier than this so I would not forget, but their system will not allow you to (at least it hasn't in the past, but who knows in the future). I would in the past login and check periodically 120, 90 days before mine was set to expire/due for renewal, but until it was 60 days or few less I have never been able to. Just set a reminder when you figure out how many days 60 days back is from when yours expire and check then or a day or two after....then renew as soon as possible from then so you do not risk it expiring due to them taking a while to process your renewal. I did it closer to my expiration date that last year (pre March) and it took a while. Mine got processed and renewed thankfully before it was set to expire, but that experience taught me to do it right away, esp. given how things are/ can be for processing times since last March. Also, if you renewed (assuming you live in CA) your CA Real ID DL/ID card before your current COE expires, they will want to see a copy of it with your COE renewal application (not just in your profile), as well as they will probably ask for your 03FFL number.

Hope this helps...wanted to share my experience to make it as easy as possible for you and any other COE holder who might have questions similar to yours. I have been dealing with the state of CA for 20+ years, including when it comes to tax and education licensing matters. Laws, rules, and requirements can and often do change every year or few years in our state. I try to stay on top of them as best I can....but it is nice to have a site here like Calguns where we can all share any try to help each other when dealing with CA and/or Federal matters.
Old 04-28-2021, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyraid View Post
I had no problem renewing online in april. paid my $22 and voila! instant renewal.
I just renewed mine too after one round of failure: they rejected my first round attempt as I neglected to list my 03-FFL in the comment field.

Apparently, if they know you have a 03-FFL, they require you enter your license number but I missed that in the first attempt. Once I edited the rejected on-line form and re-submitted, it went through.
Old 04-28-2021, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
I had renewed my "collector" COE several times and they never asked for my FFL03 number until this time.

Times are a changin'
Yep, they caught me with that one when I renewed this month. It was rejected and I had to re-submit.
Old 12-26-2021, 8:20 AM

My FFL03 is in my CFARS profile, but I guess that doesn't work any more.
I got an email asking me to email my FFL03 number.

PSA: Resubmit your application even when they ask for reply/info by email.
I should have known, so my app has just been sitting there
in incomplete state for weeks.

They just create extra work for everyone and waste time with these inconsistent
procedures resulting in rejections and resubmits.
Complete and correct instructions would avoid most of this hassle.

How about adding a line to the app for FFL03 number?

They also have never updated the document upload categories to include a passport category for those of us without a REAL ID DL to upload proof of citizenship.
You're just supposed to know the categories are meaningless and to just use any category (why have categories if they don't matter?).

Probably like a dozen lines of code for a web programmer to make these changes.
Too much to ask of a bumbling state agency I guess.

NRA Endowment Life Member
NRA Instructor, Basic Pistol
SAF Life Member
AzCDL Member
03 FFL
CA COE
Old 12-26-2021, 12:09 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I uploaded my DL and paid for my renewal several weeks ago and mine is still sitting in incomplete too. Guess I should go try and figure out what they screwed up this time.
Old 01-05-2022, 8:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I’ll keep beating this drum….. there is no authority for DOJ to require the FFL-03. When challenged on this, they fold and process the COE.
Old 01-05-2022, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Gun store employees need COE, all other FFLs besides 03 need COE, ammunition vendors and their employees need COE. It is not just 03 FFLs.

I am curious if your 03FFL is entered into your CFARS profile - and they still asked you to provide it for your COE?

When I fill out forms and such on CFARS, my 03 FFL auto populates any field where it is needed, because it is entered into my CFARS user profile
Mine is in my CFARS profile.

They still marked mine as incomplete and asked for my C&R FFL.
I put it in the comments and sent them an email.
Still "processing."
Old 01-31-2022, 9:37 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Thanks to the help of everyone in this thread and wading through the 59 page .pdf of HOW to navigate their ridiculously labyrinth CFARs website, I was able to successfully submit my COE application. Weird though, I submitted the app, but I never saw any option to put the COE into my shopping cart so I cannot checkout and pay for the COE. I just clicked on the submit application button and it took it and my status now says "Application in process". Did the $106 I paid the Live Scan Operator INCLUDE my COE fee or something? Does the BOF take the app and then slip something into the shopping cart for me to pay later? I did upload my FFL03 number to my profile, updated my old address, put in the ATI number from the LiveScan form on the COE app, uploaded a shot of my REAL ID license, etc. If any of you understand the payment thing, please post here with what you know.

Thanks fellow COE applicants!

Last edited by Capybara; 02-01-2022 at 9:31 AM..
Old 03-08-2022, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Mine was not filled out on the form they sent me, when I went to the livescan place. By a pure miracle, someone actually answered the DOJ phone number and sent me an email with the info I needed, and I hand-filled it in and then did my livescan.
What number did you call? What is the number? I've been trying to find my ORI number and can't seem to find it.
Old 03-08-2022, 2:53 PM
Banned

ORI (code assigned by DOJ) - CA0349400
Old 03-08-2022, 5:51 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal 3500 View Post
What number did you call? What is the number? I've been trying to find my ORI number and can't seem to find it.
Your ORI number should be at the top of your request for live scan, and is issued by the agency; they change, so your ORI is likely different from Bob's ORI, even if applying through the same agency.

All of the R for LS I submitted had the ORI already completed by the agency.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.