Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-11-2018, 4:37 AM

Yes, if the chamber is made correctly, the TROMIX gauge would work.
Have you shot any commercial rounds though your rifle?

I had a similar problem and did similar troubleshooting using the cartridge gauge instead of the chamber. I found that I my seating die was causing a slight bulge in the case, but I could not see it. I fixed it by raising the die slightly, a fraction of a turn counterclockwise.
Old 07-11-2018, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post
Yes, if the chamber is made correctly, the TROMIX gauge would work.
Have you shot any commercial rounds though your rifle?

I had a similar problem and did similar troubleshooting using the cartridge gauge instead of the chamber. I found that I my seating die was causing a slight bulge in the case, but I could not see it. I fixed it by raising the die slightly, a fraction of a turn counterclockwise.
I have not shot any commercial ammo due to not being able to find any in the bay area and given the online ammo prohibition my alternative was to make my own.

thanks for the advice, I have backed out the seating die 1 turn so as to not crimp but I may need to back it out slightly more to not add the bulge.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:18 AM

I realize that this thread is quite old. But, I'm wondering if anybody has any more recent load data for the 458 socom? Specifically looking for info on one of the bullets discussed in this thread, the Berry 350gr plated.

Information still seems scarce for this cartridge.
Old 03-04-2020, 5:33 PM

Default 350 grain Berry’s bullets

I need a good starting point for the 350gr berrys copper jacketed bullet for Reloder 7. I’ve found some recipes for 325 but not for 350....anyone???
Old 03-05-2020, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I took a long look at projectiles, load data, down range performance, etc for my 458 SOCOM. I am hard pressed to find a better B.C. than the Nosler Ballistic Tip 300gr. With a B.C. of .250, it has a much flatter trajectory than other 300gr bullets. The Barnes 300gr TTSX comes close with a B.C. of .236, but I have serious questions about bullet performance of that solid at 458 SOCOM velocities. The Hornady 300gr has a B.C. of .197 and the Sierra 300gr HP has a B.C. of .120

Here is Nosler's load data.

My 458 seems to prefer the lighter bullets, so the 300gr Nosler works for me....but YMMV. I wish my gun liked the 350gr bullets better. I'd use the Speer Hot Cor 350gr with a B.C. of .232 & Sectional Density of .238....but no such luck :-(

Remember to use the Large Pistol primers as specified for the 458 SOCOM.

Old 06-30-2020, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hi all, I wanted to bump up this old thread to ask if anyone has advice on loads for hog hunting.

I decided to get a 458 socom upper for my existing rifle instead of building or buying a new .308 rifle, and am trying to get myself up to speed on reloading to minimize the collateral damage to my wallet.

Since I’m a noob to reloading I was hoping to duplicate someone’s “known” safe and effective load before experimenting myself after I get more experience.
Old 07-01-2020, 5:40 AM

Naz, assuming you are in CA, you need to be lead free. I think there are others but most probably use Barnes 300 gr. TTSX or TAC-TX, apparently they are the same. Reload info is on Barnes website. I have a box but have not loaded any as of yet. Hoping to stick one through a bear later this year.
Old 03-03-2021, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Barnes #30642 TTSX...per phone conversation with Barnes tech support.... has a minimum opening velocity of 1100fps. The #30640 TAC-TX is exactly the same bullet they said.....just different packaging.

Thought this might be useful info for the 458 SOCOM crowd shooting critters in CA with lead free...