Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-05-2019, 9:27 AM
Banned

Question Flashlight question for graveyard LEOs

I have a friend who is a LEO and we like to discuss flashlights. We were exploring how do graveyard officers recharge their duty flashlights when off duty? Here were the options-

- Charging bank at a common location at the police station. Charge when off duty. Come back and grab you personal light.
- Charging banks at a common location at the police station. You grab any fully charged light (like checking out a shotgun) and go. Return it later.
- Recharge the light in your locker somehow.
- Take home and charge light.
- Just charge it in the patrol car

Any other options or program how you do it?

The Pelican multi light base charging station-

Last edited by barncat; 09-05-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Old 09-05-2019, 9:47 AM

Any of the last three. I don't like sharing equipment unless I have to, and leaving your personal flashlight lying around is asking for it to be borrowed.

The last few years I carried a 5.11 light for life which was apparently discontinued. I liked them because they used a capacitor and would charge fully in less than two minutes. The downside was you only really got about 30 minutes of solid light out of them, but most of the time that would cover enough time to recharge when I got back to my car. I always carried a couple of spare Surefire's also. One on my belt and one in a sap pocket. Most of the time those would be borrowed by a partner whose main light went down.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-05-2019, 9:54 AM
Banned

Thanks for that, I do like those older 5.11 lights, interesting.

I still like the idea of that Fenix PD36R fast charging with the USB-C cord in 10 muhites..
Old 09-05-2019, 12:22 PM

I use lights that take 18650 and cr. I keep a few 18650 charged in my locker and cycle them out. Some people who vape also have chargers in cars that can top off.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 12:22 PM

I charge my SL at home every once in a while. It actually holds its charge pretty well.
Old 09-05-2019, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Take a look two threads down at the one titled "flashlights"
Old 09-05-2019, 4:59 PM

Default Streamlight

Never leave your light in station charge bank. Someone will always steal your battery and replace it with their worn out old one.
Always carry a full size metal flash light, it is your first line of defense and a wonderful impact weapon.
Old 09-05-2019, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

My old department had electrical outlets wired in all lockers.
Old 09-05-2019, 8:13 PM

We never shared when I was on patrol. I had two Streamlights with extra batteries. It was good enough for me.

When I worked at an office assignment, we had charging station with the community lights. We took one and used it, brought it back and put it in the charger. We also had a charger in the car that was assigned to my office.
Old 09-05-2019, 9:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
My old department had electrical outlets wired in all lockers.
This was the main solution I was looking for, just never heard of it in real life. Thanks
Old 09-06-2019, 7:18 AM

Individual chargers wired into our gear cubbies. Also chargers in each unit.
Old 09-08-2019, 3:37 PM

Try a flashlight that uses 18650 batteries like the ones Streamlight has started producing. These Streamlight batteries can be charged using USB micro cables, like the ones compatible with android cell phones, and can be recharged by computer USB port, plugged into a car DC adapter plug, etc.

My Fenix PD35 puts out 1000 lumens, is about 5.5" in length, and can swap out 18650 batteries easily. Carry a few extra, and you'll never be without a duty light. And I'm a DUI apprehension motor officer working nights only.

Next purchase will be the Olight M2R Warrior with it's 1500 lumen output with 18650 batteries.
Old 09-08-2019, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Doesn’t anyone on patrol carry the aluminum Streamlight SL-20 with LED anymore? Makes a great defensive weapon in pinch.

ďPay attention. Iím educating you and Iím using small words.Ē -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-08-2019, 6:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shojivic View Post
Try a flashlight that uses 18650 batteries like the ones Streamlight has started producing. These Streamlight batteries can be charged using USB micro cables, like the ones compatible with android cell phones, and can be recharged by computer USB port, plugged into a car DC adapter plug, etc.

Thanks, I’m not a LEO, but just sold 3 Stingers and 3 Strions as I wanted USB. I bought a new ProTac HPL and it’s pretty close to a Stinger with the micro USB.

I just figured it would be hard to charge a duty light nightly and wanted to ask. We figured there would be some one with the outlet in the lockers, nice. But to charge in the patrol car, probably a drag. Atleast that Fenix PD36R with the USB C is a fast charger in 10 minutes. Like it, but no need to buy one now.

Last edited by barncat; 09-08-2019 at 9:24 PM..
Old 09-08-2019, 6:15 PM
Banned

Default Flashlight question for graveyard LEOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Doesnít anyone on patrol carry the aluminum Streamlight SL-20 with LED anymore? Makes a great defensive weapon in pinch.
Iím not LEO, but have 3 I donít really use any more, but nice for the home or personal car.

Last edited by barncat; 09-09-2019 at 12:05 AM..
Old 09-08-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Doesn’t anyone on patrol carry the aluminum Streamlight SL-20 with LED anymore? Makes a great defensive weapon in pinch.
Nobody uses them for a defensive weapon anymore. With all the crap required to be on your person per policy, the large lights are all but extinct. Ultra stingers are now issued which is still a large light, but most people leave them in the car as a backup. Everyone carries the Stinger HLs due to the best weight/size/performance ratio while still being big enough to be an impromptu impact weapon.

I have a strion LED HL on my belt for day shift and when the sun goes down on 2nd shift. For graves I use a stinger HL I bring with me on calls while I leave the ultra stinger in the car for searching rural areas that need the further throw. My pistol has the TLR1-HL on it so I don't bring a hand held light, aside from the one on my belt, for building searches. The ultra stinger has such a far throw, I can't even see what its physically illuminating out at distance. It's a great light but I think the stinger HL is the light goldilocks would carry looking for porridge. The dual switches of the stinger make it quick to find that end cap switch if you need to ID something in a hurry rather than find the tiny button on the body.

I've stuck with streamlight over everything else because theres none of this take batteries out or disassemble the light to charge it foolishness. Put it on the charger and by the time your next shift starts it's there ready to work every time, again. I've never seen a surefire that was worth paying $10 more for it let alone the 2 or 3 times more they charge over streamlight.

And for the love of God, anyone who shares gear with anyone is an ignorant rookie who hasn't been ripped off and literally left in the dark on shift. My stuff is mine, I paid for it, you can't use it.

Last edited by 5.56; 09-08-2019 at 11:52 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 12:05 AM
Banned

5.56- Great post, thank you, love the feedback,
Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 AM

Handheld that takes a 123 and pistol takes two 123 s...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 09-09-2019, 2:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviioiive View Post
Handheld that takes a 123 and pistol takes two 123 s...
I do like those Fenix USB rechargeable CR123 batteries. Donít own them, but like them.

Old 09-10-2019, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Doesnít anyone on patrol carry the aluminum Streamlight SL-20 with LED anymore? Makes a great defensive weapon in pinch.
I loved my old Streamlights, but the batteries just didn't seem to last long. Not as in how long they hold a charge, but as in them starting to deteriorate. I still have two Streamlights sitting on my workbench. Might have to find a couple of batteries and see if they have better ones for them now.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-11-2019, 6:40 PM
Firearms Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

My first department was awesome - we all had individual, multi-unit electrical outlets in each locker. They required us to have a fully charged flashlight (issued) and dash-cam audio transmitter for every shift, and gave us the tools to do so.

My current department is much larger. Iíve had to resort to a common plug strip in the locker room with a battery charger to keep at least one flashlight battery charged, and seniority and fear to keep anyone from screwing with my gear.
Old 09-15-2019, 8:34 PM
Banned

Found the graphic that promotes the fast charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barncat View Post

I still like the idea of that Fenix PD36R fast charging with the USB-C cord in 10 muhites..

Old 09-15-2019, 10:48 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

I've been using a fenix PD 35v2. USB rechargeable 18650. Plug it in when I get home.

I carry an extra non-rechargeable in my field bag if in a pinch.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!