Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2022, 7:26 PM

Default COE & FFL03

I'm considering getting my FFL03 and COE which will be used primarily for ammunition purchases. But I do have some questions.

1. Do I still have to pay $1 when buying ammunition from California FFL's?
2. What is the process like when purchasing ammunition from private individuals?
3. what is the process like when purchasing C&R long guns/handguns out of state?
Old 06-09-2022, 9:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryankenji View Post
I'm considering getting my FFL03 and COE which will be used primarily for ammunition purchases. But I do have some questions.

1. Do I still have to pay $1 when buying ammunition from California FFL's?
2. What is the process like when purchasing ammunition from private individuals?
3. what is the process like when purchasing C&R long guns/handguns out of state?
1. Yes.
2. Show your credentials cash carry. No limit. However selling in general without an ammo vendor license are allowed 500 per month.
3. Purchase via in person, cash and carry, registration via CFARS within 5 days arrive back CA.
3a. Purchase via shipping - need to use 01/FFL
Old 06-10-2022, 12:30 AM

Thank you for the clarification, sorry I have more questions.

1. So purchasing either C&R long gun or handgun if I cash and carry myself from another state doesn't require 01/FFL? seems simple
2. If I were to purchase a C&R long gun from a private individual in California, no 01/FFL required, I can cash and carry that day. Would they need anything from me and would I need anything from them?
3. If I were to purchase a C&R handgun from a private individual in California, which I think has to go though a 01/FFL anyways, do I need to keep a record of the acquisition in a logbook? Do I still have to register via CFARS?
4. lets say I get a COE and FFL03, would I still get audited by the ATF even if I acquired no C&R firearms?
Old 06-10-2022, 6:07 AM
Klaatu barada nikto
CGN Contributor

Quote:

1. So purchasing either C&R long gun or handgun if I cash and carry myself from another state doesn't require 01/FFL? seems simple
2. If I were to purchase a C&R long gun from a private individual in California, no 01/FFL required, I can cash and carry that day. Would they need anything from me and would I need anything from them?
3. If I were to purchase a C&R handgun from a private individual in California, which I think has to go though a 01/FFL anyways, do I need to keep a record of the acquisition in a logbook? Do I still have to register via CFARS?
4. lets say I get a COE and FFL03, would I still get audited by the ATF even if I acquired no C&R firearms?
1) Mostly yes ,but there are a couple of states that need an 01 FFL to still buy like NV.

2) I usually provide both a copy of my C&R and COE for their records along with showing my Drivers License. Depends on what the seller/Buyer wants for their records.

3) Need an 01 FFL but you still need to log it into your bound book, but you don't have to enter CFARS since it went through a dealer DROS.

4) My understanding of audits is they are rare. I personally think it is some flag thrown that triggers an audit but that is speculation on my part.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 06-10-2022, 10:05 AM
Banned

^^^good advice from microwave. I'll give you my personal .02

1. For the most part especially in free states, cash carry. NV changed the private transfer law back in 2019 i believe and required using 01 for private transfers an no exemptions for C&R holders. However, this is just my personal experience buying from NV via gun shows. I have bought C&R handguns and although private transfers require 01/background check non of the dealers I bought from follow it. I'm not disputing NV laws but I was never asked to use an 01 for transfer C&R guns at gun shows. Some sellers are not NV resident so they might think it doesn't applied to them or they simply just don't follow the law. I certainly not going to argue with them lol. Federally I have done nothing wrong and followed all 03's requirements to acquire.

2. I only ask seller's name and address that's required for my book. I don't give a hard copy of my 03 or coe to buyer, he can jock down any info on those documents if he like and I also don't allow him to scan or take a pic of my DL. He can look at my DL to verify 03 & Coe is in my name but that's it.

You might be surprise as lot of CA sellers of C&R rifles even its legal to cash n carry with 03/coe, they demand to use 01/FFL to DROS instead because they are brain washed or intimidated by DOJ and are "not comfortable". Just keep that in mind.

3. Per old school CA 03 members, log in all C&R acquisition and depositions in your 03 book even if it was DROS already. Use 01's name and address for your entry.

4. Per old school members audits are rare as microwave said and it usually take place at their office not at your home.

Last edited by sfe187; 06-10-2022 at 10:10 AM..
Old 06-10-2022, 4:41 PM

Thank you for the input, I just applied for my COE. This is very good information for me. So C&R firearms in Nevada have to be transferred in a Nevada 01/FFL. I can still legally perform the transfer in Nevada then bring it back myself to California.
Old 06-10-2022, 4:56 PM

1 in 30 exempt as well when it comes to buying Handguns.
Old 06-10-2022, 7:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
So C&R firearms in Nevada have to be transferred in a Nevada 01/FFL. I can still legally perform the transfer in Nevada then bring it back myself to California.
According to NV law when you buy from private party, transaction needs to be handled by an 01. I assume if you purchase your C&R from private party you guys needs to use NV 01 for transfer and once cleared you satisfy NV's law, then you can bring it back to CA. Same if you bought C&R from a store. However as I mentioned above gun show is a bit murky as lots of sellers there are not even NV resident and they don't follow or don't care about NV law. Supposedly there is a "transfer desk" at the gun show but I personally have not ever use or the need to use.

A quick reminder, many seller doesn't want to do ANY business involve CA anything. If they are aware you are a 03 holder form CA, some may NOT want to do business with you period so don't be offended.
Old 06-10-2022, 8:05 PM

from my understanding COE/FFL03 is exempt from 1 in 30 for all firearm purchases regardless of C&R status
Old 06-10-2022, 8:07 PM

I'm unfamiliar with Nevada law but from what I see, there is no waiting period for any firearm transactions. I'll be GTG if I buy from an 01/FFL or PPT through a Nevada 01/FFL.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:40 PM
Banned

^^^ you should be gtg however I’m not current but in the past stores had to wait hours on the phone waiting on background check tho. And yes you’re correct on 1/30 with 03/COE on any type gun.
Old 06-14-2022, 6:17 AM

Sorry, just need a quick clarification to make sure I am reading this correctly.

I purchased a Mosin this past weekend via PPT through an FFL01.

I need to log said Mosin in my bound book, and enter the FFL01’s info for the seller?
Since the transfer has occurred via the FFL01 I do not need to submit anything via CFARS since the rifle has / is being DROS’d?

Appreciate any response, glad I opened this thread.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
Sorry, just need a quick clarification to make sure I am reading this correctly.

I purchased a Mosin this past weekend via PPT through an FFL01.

I need to log said Mosin in my bound book, and enter the FFL01ís info for the seller?
Since the transfer has occurred via the FFL01 I do not need to submit anything via CFARS since the rifle has / is being DROSíd?

Appreciate any response, glad I opened this thread.
1.Correct. I would log in my C&R bound book 01's name and address under acquisition. This satisfy Federal 03 requirements.

2.No need to CRARS as dros satisfy CA requirements.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Once you receive your C&R FFL you are a Federally "licensed collector". After that point, and as long as your license is valid you must under Federal law enter EVERY SINGLE C&R firearm you "acquire" or "dispose" of.

Meaning regardless of how you get it you must list every C&R you (acquire) into your book. No exceptions.

When you get rid of any C&R by any means (dispose of) You must also list that disposition in your book.

C&R firearms you already own do not need to be listed.

However if you "dispose of a C&R which you previously owned you need to list that disposition in your book. You will need to list where you acquired this C&R from on the acquisition side of your book. You simply write "From personal collection".

If you get a C&R from a 01 FFL ffl as a intermediary, list the FFL as who you acquired the C&R from not the actual person you bought it from.

The chances of getting audited are extremely slim. I've been licensed for over 40 years. I've had one inspection about 35 years ago.

Inspections are not a big deal at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 06-17-2022, 1:22 PM

I order my ammo online and have it shipped to my door.

I use mostly Target sports and I paid their $90 to get free shipping for one year. It paid for itself in the first few orders.

Once you get both certs, email them to different vendors to file them for you or you can upload them your self on some sites like Brownells. Then your considered a dealer and you get dealer pricing with many sites.

When I travel out of state I take my C&R, COE means nothing out of CA other than to the CMP (that I've found) I can buy in most states cash and carry, then you self register upon return to CA.

When I purchase in person at a CMP store, they have my certs on file and they will not let me walk out with them as far as I know, haven't tried, but it would be legal, but I buy , then tell them to hold and ship on Date XX , then they ship to my door. I have 3 Garands and 600 RDS of ammo for them on their way now.
Old 06-22-2022, 7:16 PM

It will be interesting to see how this new Senate bill affects things.
Old 06-23-2022, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills View Post
It will be interesting to see how this new Senate bill affects things.
Why? It has nothing to do with C&R firearms or ammunition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 06-24-2022, 8:40 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Why? It has nothing to do with C&R firearms or ammunition.
Agreed. This decision will affect rulings and cases that are currently on hold pending the decision. Has there been a case regarding COE/FFL03 since 2010? Not that I can think of.