Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2020, 1:57 PM

Default Felony conviction - owning firearms?

My buddy had a felony when he was younger he currently cant purchase a firearm cause of the conviction. Does anyone know of any type of courts or any rehabilitation classes he can take?
Old 09-16-2020, 2:38 PM

Expungement

Lawyers

Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

Good Guys with Guns HERE
Old 09-16-2020, 2:38 PM

Hire a lawyer, petition the court to have the right restored. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2020, 2:40 PM

Asking for a friend.

Good luck to him.
Old 09-16-2020, 2:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Contact attorney you supplied no info on what he was convicted of, Where it occured where your buddy is incarcerated. (LOL) Need more info.
Old 09-16-2020, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir13 View Post
Expungement

Lawyers
Nope. A California expungment don't do nothing to restore firearms rights. Please refer to Penal Code section 1203.4(a)(2).
Old 09-16-2020, 3:07 PM

It may be able to be reduced down to a misdemeanor by petitioning the Court. He needs to hire an expungement attorney who can lead him through the process.
Old 09-16-2020, 3:21 PM

Depends on the charges if they can be reduced to misdemeanors. Otherwise, he may be SOL.

Lawyer will be the first person you’ll need to consult. Expungements won’t do anything as RickD stated.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH Instructor
Old 09-16-2020, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Do not try this yourself. Do not do anything except research. Find an attorney that specializes in California firearms law and consult them and pay the fee. There are limited circumstances where you may be able to regain your rights depending on if the conviction was a wobeler.

You can do more harm than good if you do this incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 09-16-2020, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
Do not try this yourself. Do not do anything except research. Find an attorney that specializes in California firearms law and consult them and pay the fee. There are limited circumstances where you may be able to regain your rights depending on if the conviction was a wobeler.

You can do more harm than good if you do this incorrectly.
^^^This^^^

Good advice above. This isn't an area for amateurs. A PC 17(b) reduction can restore firearms rights, and is often done in conjunction with an expungment. But it only works is the felony offense is subject to a PC 17(b) reduction. There are also additional provisions that affect the ability for a reduction.
Old 09-16-2020, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompactJack View Post
My buddy had a felony when he was younger he currently cant purchase a firearm cause of the conviction. Does anyone know of any type of courts or any rehabilitation classes he can take?
Violent felonies will never go away when it comes to firearms rights restoration. For non violent felonies, the only way is time consuming and costly and requires a lawyer who knows firearms law. I recommend Michel & Assoc.. They are the NRA's lawyer in California and probably THE experts on firearms law in California. They specialize in restoration of firearms rights.. among many other firearms related practices... here is the link;

https://michellawyers.com/practice-a...rms-law-group/

Related Services:

Legal compliance questions
Firearm possession right restorations
Firearm seizures and recovery
Processing of firearms bequests and estate administration
Restraining orders and GVROs
Public carry licenses / CCW
Firearm collection compliance audits
Collection inventory documentation and valuation
Collection liquidation
Zoning and CUP issues for retailers and ranges

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 09-16-2020 at 4:54 PM..
Old 09-16-2020, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Nope. A California expungment don't do nothing to restore firearms rights. Please refer to Penal Code section 1203.4(a)(2).
That's not even an expungement, really. Just a dismissal. I don't think California even offers genuine expungements outside of very limited contexts.
Old 09-16-2020, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
That's not even an expungement, really. Just a dismissal. I don't think California even offers genuine expungements outside of very limited contexts.
PC 1203.4 is California's "Expungment" statute. It works, as you correctly described, by dismissing the action once the specified conditions have been met.

A lot of folks hold the false understanding that an expungment completely erases a criminal conviction, and it does not.