Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-17-2020, 1:33 PM

Default HP Printer won't get IvP4 address

Product: HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fnw
Operating System: MacOS 10.15 Catalina

Printer is just over a year old and has been working fine until a couple of days ago I didn't show up on my Mac book pro. I've tried resetting/restarting everything. I'm using an Apple Time Capsule for my wifi. I've also tried connecting the printer through my service providers wifi and get the same results. If I setup a hotspot with my iPhone it will connect to that. I can see that it is connecting to the wifi and the channel it's connected to but it won't get an IPv4 address - just continues to say initializing.

Any help/ideas are appreciated.
Old 07-17-2020, 1:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Set a static up and set it as reserved at the apple
Old 07-17-2020, 7:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

HP Printers are the second worst printer on the planet.

Sadly, they rank just ahead, of all others.

Unplug it for a while. Then try setting it up again. My OfficeJet 6600, before it FINALLY died, did that once. I had to HARDWIRE it back to the computer, until after a few weeks, it suddenly said - "What's this wire doing here?" And then it resolved itself.
Old 07-18-2020, 4:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Set it to static, outside of the DHCP scope, but on the same NET, and be done, or get a real home router, like Asus?
Old 07-18-2020, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

As the others have suggested, give it a static IP. The Time Capsule isn't the most versatile option for dealing with IP addresses. I also suggest you use the HP Scan Doctor software. It does a pretty solid job of getting printers back online when there is a connection issue.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 07-18-2020, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone, leaving it unplugged for the weekend while I figure out how to set a static IP.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:30 AM

You use a printer? Like with paper?

Last edited by vino68; 07-18-2020 at 11:32 AM..
Old 07-18-2020, 12:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

I tried skywriting a report once, but the words are so fleeting...
Old 07-18-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
HP Printers are the second worst printer on the planet.

Sadly, they rank just ahead, of all others.

Unplug it for a while. Then try setting it up again. My OfficeJet 6600, before it FINALLY died, did that once. I had to HARDWIRE it back to the computer, until after a few weeks, it suddenly said - "What's this wire doing here?" And then it resolved itself.
I searval that have over 140,000 pages. On them .8600 series.
Old 07-18-2020, 8:46 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Your printer could be the canary in the coal mine, telling you that there is a DHCP problem on your network. One or more of your other devices could follow any day.

What device is your hosting your DHCP server service? What is the lease time, how many IPs are in the pool? If you do not know the answers to those three questions then you should have someone help you audit it.

It could be that the process has died and needs a restart, or it could be you have used all the IPs in the pool.

Now I agree that generally a printer should have a static IP, but I would also audit my DHCP server device and scope and be sure you know it is working and has the capacity to lease more IPs to guests, smart home devices etc. It is amazing how quickly you can accumulate IP devices on a home network these days, and many times a default DHCP pool may only be 20 - 50 IPs.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-18-2020 at 8:55 PM..
Old 07-19-2020, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I recall my father, working doing DSL and FiOS installs at the time, mentioned in passing that most Macs had a problem with pulling an IP lease from DHCP on many FiOS and DSL routers, but this was many years ago, like the year of MFR of your time-warp/whatever?

Could it be an incompatibility, on the iPhruity-side?

EDIT: Just thought of this, try a firmware update on the HP after going static (outside the scope, and maybe firmware update on the iPhuity DHCP server too), to see if it pulls DHCP after that...

Last edited by the86d; 07-19-2020 at 7:48 AM..
Old 07-19-2020, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Your printer could be the canary in the coal mine, telling you that there is a DHCP problem on your network. One or more of your other devices could follow any day.

What device is your hosting your DHCP server service? What is the lease time, how many IPs are in the pool? If you do not know the answers to those three questions then you should have someone help you audit it.

It could be that the process has died and needs a restart, or it could be you have used all the IPs in the pool.

Now I agree that generally a printer should have a static IP, but I would also audit my DHCP server device and scope and be sure you know it is working and has the capacity to lease more IPs to guests, smart home devices etc. It is amazing how quickly you can accumulate IP devices on a home network these days, and many times a default DHCP pool may only be 20 - 50 IPs.
SkyHawk

The Time Capsule is wired directly to the modem, I don't know what the lease time is, there are currently 10 devices connected.

The weird thing is even if I connect the printer to the wifi router from my service provider, which has nothing connected to it via wifi, it does the same exact thing.

I will migrate some of the devices over to it and see if that does anything.
Old 07-19-2020, 9:36 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPNagle View Post
SkyHawk

The Time Capsule is wired directly to the modem, I don't know what the lease time is, there are currently 10 devices connected.

The weird thing is even if I connect the printer to the wifi router from my service provider, which has nothing connected to it via wifi, it does the same exact thing.

I will migrate some of the devices over to it and see if that does anything.
So are you saying that your Time Capsule is the DHCP server on your network? Because you are also saying you have a router/wifi from your ISP, which could also be the DHCP server.

Have you power cycled your ISP router?

And is your printer connected via hardwire or wifi? If wifi have you verified the SSID and key it is using?

And as to connecting to your ISP wifi and it 'doing the same thing' - there is typically only ONE DHCP server that should be running on your network, so accessing the network via another WAP still does nothing to fix or troubleshoot the DHCP server. Not all WAPS issue IPs, and as I said before you should only have one DHCP server on your network. You can have a hundred wifi access points/routers, but should only have ONE of them providing IP addresses (or some other device doing it).

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-19-2020 at 9:46 PM..
Old 07-20-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
So are you saying that your Time Capsule is the DHCP server on your network? Because you are also saying you have a router/wifi from your ISP, which could also be the DHCP server.

Have you power cycled your ISP router?

And is your printer connected via hardwire or wifi? If wifi have you verified the SSID and key it is using?

And as to connecting to your ISP wifi and it 'doing the same thing' - there is typically only ONE DHCP server that should be running on your network, so accessing the network via another WAP still does nothing to fix or troubleshoot the DHCP server. Not all WAPS issue IPs, and as I said before you should only have one DHCP server on your network. You can have a hundred wifi access points/routers, but should only have ONE of them providing IP addresses (or some other device doing it).

Sky Hawk,

It is connected via WiFi, I have verified which SSID and channel it is connecting to.

I've power cycled everything, except the dog.

The way it's been setup is the cable modem is wired to the service providers wifi router, the time capsule is wired to that router. Everything that is close to the router is wired to it i.e. PS4, Apple TV.

It sounds like you are saying I should eliminate the wifi router from the entire equation?
Old 07-20-2020, 12:45 PM

Going through the settings for both the time capsule and the service providers wifi router. The time capsule is set for bridge mode and the other has DHCP on.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Your Time Capsule can act as a router or just a bridge. If you're already using another router, which should be dishing out the IP's (acting as DHCP server), make sure your Time Capsule isn't trying to do the same thing. That or just use your Time Capsule as the router, in which case, you have to make sure it will give out IP addresses.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee