Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2020, 12:53 PM

Default Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club Memberships

Any SRGC members on here?

I've shot there during public hours, impressed by the facilities, wish there were more lanes... thought "gee maybe I should join" but in reading the membership page it seems like a whole heckuva lot of hoops to jump through.

Is it really that involved to become a member?

To be clear, not complaining about their rules... their club, they get to make them... but just wondering if it is as imposing as it appears on the website.
Old 02-14-2020, 3:44 PM

Default Worth it

The hardest part was getting someone to sponsor me, and then having the patience to wait for an invitation to start the process, because there's a fixed # of available memberships, so you have to wait for an opening on the roster.

Since I live reasonably near by, the rest was easy (some folks come from quite a distance away):

4 monthly meetings: free dinner, enjoyable conversations, then just a fly-on-the-wall while the club conducts a brief business meeting.

5 monthly 4-hour work parties: I'm a home handyman, so it's enjoyable to paint, hammer, drill, sweep, or whatever is needed for routine maintenance and minor update chores for four hours on a Sunday morning (including a free lunch and more enjoyable conversation)

R&P Range Safety Officer training plus a session of ghosting the other Safety Officers to learn the ropes (very useful & informative training - strong emphasis on safety, of course).

Trap Officer training (again, useful, informative, and pretty cool to see how it
all works behind the scenes).

It's nice to have the range access (never or rarely crowded during member hours - it's like having your own private range, sometimes), but for me, an equal, if not better benefit is having a comfortable place to hang out with like-minded Bay Areans and the ability to learn and improve from them, too.

Felt more like a fun, educational, social experience than hoops.
Old 02-14-2020, 7:12 PM

Default Best range in these parts

Thanks, Tokuno!

The requirements sound awesome. It sounds like a way of being of service to the range.

This is best place I know of to shoot on the peninsula.

Staff is fantastic.

On wrestling with ego and sin- ĒNot only am I not above it, Iím swinging haymakers in the pigsty sometimesĒ

-Big Bear
Old 02-14-2020, 8:24 PM

I went here for the first time and I had a blast. Hopefully, I can go enough to get to know some more people.
Old 02-21-2020, 7:11 PM

Thank you for the info tokuno, Iím in Union City and always looking for a good place to shoot. Iíll have to check them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
The hardest part was getting someone to sponsor me, and then having the patience to wait for an invitation to start the process, because there's a fixed # of available memberships, so you have to wait for an opening on the roster.

Since I live reasonably near by, the rest was easy (some folks come from quite a distance away):

4 monthly meetings: free dinner, enjoyable conversations, then just a fly-on-the-wall while the club conducts a brief business meeting.

5 monthly 4-hour work parties: I'm a home handyman, so it's enjoyable to paint, hammer, drill, sweep, or whatever is needed for routine maintenance and minor update chores for four hours on a Sunday morning (including a free lunch and more enjoyable conversation)

R&P Range Safety Officer training plus a session of ghosting the other Safety Officers to learn the ropes (very useful & informative training - strong emphasis on safety, of course).

Trap Officer training (again, useful, informative, and pretty cool to see how it
all works behind the scenes).

It's nice to have the range access (never or rarely crowded during member hours - it's like having your own private range, sometimes), but for me, an equal, if not better benefit is having a comfortable place to hang out with like-minded Bay Areans and the ability to learn and improve from them, too.

Felt more like a fun, educational, social experience than hoops.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamfh View Post
Thank you for the info tokuno, Iím in Union City and always looking for a good place to shoot. Iíll have to check them out
If you're in Union City, come check out Richmond Rod & Gun.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:18 PM

Thank you for the tip @sigguy, I will have to take my SIGS out there to check them out.

Will be interesting to see what traffic is like since I do not usually travel any further north than Hayward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552 View Post
If you're in Union City, come check out Richmond Rod & Gun.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:34 AM

It also cost $350.00 to join, and $65.00 a year. You also need to be a NRA member. The first couple of months is the most time consuming for a new probate. You must complete all your safety training in two months.

The best way to find out everything is to come out on the first Thursday of the month to a club meeting. BBQ, ect. There is a membership meeting right after the club meeting which end about 7:30.

There is a waiting list, and currently the club is closed to the public until at least April 20th due to the virus problem going on.

Good luck