Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-04-2019, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Anyone ratchet up there "prep" with the recent earthquake?

I will put a more complete go bag in which ever car I am driving for a while...including more ammo and water than usual.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 07-04-2019, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought 2 cases of water and another bottle of Tabasco.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:47 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I’ve been in the 1989 San Francisco earthquake. One of the most important things I have learned was to keep the gas tank of the car filled.

After the earthquake, traffic and detour everywhere. It took my wife 8 hours to drive from Berkeley to San Francisco (home.) Many cars ran out of gas on the roads.

Most gas stations had very long lines, some ran out of gas. Oh, and their credit card machines didn’t work, CASH only (keep some cash in the car — Cash is King.)
Old 07-05-2019, 5:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post
I’ve been in the 1989 San Francisco earthquake. One of the most important things I have learned was to keep the gas tank of the car filled.

After the earthquake, traffic and detour everywhere. It took my wife 8 hours to drive from Berkeley to San Francisco (home.) Many cars ran out of gas on the roads.

Most gas stations had very long lines, some ran out of gas. Oh, and their credit card machines didn’t work, CASH only (keep some cash in the car — Cash is King.)
Great advice...thanks

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 07-05-2019, 7:46 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I've gotta replenish my stock of SPAM!
Old 07-05-2019, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Been carrying and extra 5 gal gasoline in the truck for a couple months now just 'cause. Actually, a couple small local gas stations been out of fuel - not sure what the deal is.

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 07-05-2019, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

We have and had quakes here in the golden shower state forever. We get fires/floods/quakes/taxes/laws annually. That last quake was a yawner.

My preps are/have always been in maintenance mode. Status quo.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-05-2019, 9:06 AM

Yes, added another bottle of Scotch and more toilet paper.
Old 07-05-2019, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

This +100
Old 07-05-2019, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Most everything 2a related is above what would fall on it...
Less to pick up to retrieve, but it has always been this way.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Gas for sure. I have gotten in the habit of always staying above 1/2 tank unless on a cross country road trip where I try to minimize stops. I also keep an extra 20 gallons at home rotated regularly. I would also suggest paper road maps. They help you plan alternate routes of travel that a GPS won't. By looking at the overhead view a paper map gives, you can plan a more advantageous alternate route.

That 1989 earthquake was the Loma Prieta quake by the way. Made it through that one (about 5 miles from the epicenter) but lost about half the glassware in my kitchen.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm going out today and buy a new pair of swim trunks and a long board since I'll be beach front after the big one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Filled all he propane tanks got out stoves and bbqs and lanterns. Checking pantry and dried and cannned food stocks. Small propane canisters and refill kit. Spare mantles for lanterns. Gong to et some more hardwood pallets from buddy to cut up for bbg and to heat water. All cast iron in good shape.

Last edited by edgerly779; 07-05-2019 at 12:46 PM..
Old 07-05-2019, 1:59 PM

I added another couple bottles of water to the freezer; it helps keep everything inside cool should the power go out, and I can use them as ice packs to help me sleep should the power remain off for several days.
Old 07-06-2019, 6:16 AM
retired Goon

After last night's 7.1 earthquake, a friend of mine in Las Vegas (NV) went to his local Costco and bought several pallets of water.

It was to supplement what he already had stored in advanced and so he could have extra on hand for barter/trade.

He also said people out there were panic buying water and canned food.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-06-2019, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaDad View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I've gotta replenish my stock of SPAM!
A man after my own heart.
Old 07-06-2019, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
After last night's 7.1 earthquake, a friend of mine in Las Vegas (NV) went to his local Costco and bought several pallets of water.

It was to supplement what he already had stored in advanced and so he could have extra on hand for barter/trade.

He also said people out there were panic buying water and canned food.
It amazes me that any preppers live in the desert let alone Las Vegas. There is no natural supply of water there and the heat requires you to have a significant amount to live in a SHTF situation with no AC.
Old 07-06-2019, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
Yes, added another bottle of Scotch and more toilet paper.
Old 07-06-2019, 7:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't mean to pyss people off, but if you're out panic buying you're not properly prepared.
Knee jerk reactions to something we already knew was a big possibility should at the very least encourage you to keep pace with what you have stored. Keep it topped off people.
We prep so we don't need to panic buy.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-06-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Good advice here.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
I don't mean to pyss people off, but if you're out panic buying you're not properly prepared.
Knee jerk reactions to something we already knew was a big possibility should at the very least encourage you to keep pace with what you have stored. Keep it topped off people.
We prep so we don't need to panic buy.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
True, but I'm thinking most people in this forum are better prepared than 90% of the population.

My local Costco got swamped with panicky people buying up cases of water. I'm thinking to myself, "where were you people many months ago?"
Old 07-06-2019, 11:29 PM

Nope, I aint scared of no Quake.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 07-07-2019, 12:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes. Definitely assessing what I have and what I need. My SO sort of poo-pooed what I do but since we had that last shaker she started asking about go bags, water etc... So in a way it's a good thing. We'll see how long it lasts.

On another not it's amazing the dismissal I get when I suggest the idea to people to double the water they usually keep on hand in case of emergencies. It's not much more effort but people act like you're crazy.

Old 07-07-2019, 4:18 AM
Veteran Member

I've always been prepped. As with ammo before July 1, I just needed a little to top off my supplies. My small purchases were:

Top off the gas tank
Two cases of bottled water
Some alkaline batteries
Some canned fruit
Energy bars with protein
Rotated out the old supplies in the bug home bags in the car

I'm parking the car in the driveway instead of the garage for the next week. If there's a big one, I don't want my vehicle trapped in a collapsed garage.
Old 07-07-2019, 7:18 AM

Supply wise we’re good but with the little ones I just made sure things were secure around the house. This series of quakes came at a bad time, store shelves were already being stripped because of the holiday. Our water supply was put to the test a couple weeks ago after our whole house became ill, made me think of how quick things change when the unexpected happens.

Nows a good time to plant the seed in people’s minds without saying too much about your emergency supplies, I’d rather help a neighbor out this way than exposing my abilities at a time of need.
Old 07-07-2019, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

It’s a good time if you don’t already to check and rotate stock or even audit as well.
I make it a habit to check every so often and make sure batteries are fresh and flashlights are working and to replace anything expired.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 07-07-2019, 7:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Just standard ratcheting up.. canning Black berries today
Old 07-07-2019, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

Currently I have 165+ gallons on water, in barrels, and a couple of weeks supply of food. I need to get rechargeable batteries(especially for my CPAP machine) and a solar panel kit so I can recharge the batteries. Trying to decide what size generator to get to keep other things running.
Old 07-07-2019, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Anyone ratchet up there "prep" with the recent earthquake?

I bought some beachfro-... I mean, "desert property," just west of Vegas. Does that count?
Old 07-07-2019, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223556 View Post
It’s a good time if you don’t already to check and rotate stock or even audit as well.
I make it a habit to check every so often and make sure batteries are fresh and flashlights are working and to replace anything expired.
Some people use anniversary or birthdates for rotation and battery changes. I try every daylight savings times to do our smoke detectors, air filters and flashlight batteries. The flashlights I change batteries in spring and switch around the same batteries in the flashlight tube in fall. Food rotations should be weekly/monthly. We stock what we eat, Bear Independent has a good vid on that. Stock up now and if possible within the first few hours of an incident go purchase more using cash.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:25 PM

I'm using this as an opportunity (read: soft wake up call) to start prepping. I already happened to have canned food and water, but no go-to procedures/plans/lists on evacuating or sheltering in place. Even having some ROE on the conditions on the ground leading me to a bug out or shelter in place is handy.

Very interesting to see how freaked out some people are though. As far as natural disasters go, this one is pretty benign compared to how much damage/displacement recent fires have been, or the oroville dam.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:41 PM

bought an extra bundle of toilet paperyou just never know.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Worked about 4 miles from home during Loma Prieta. Couldn't drive home until midnight due to traffic, so I just stayed at work.

One might want to consider having water, food, cash, chair, something to do, to wait out a traffic nightmare.

my prep: earthquake insurance -- rates have gotten better since a decade or two and I'm more financially at risk now.
Old 07-07-2019, 2:19 PM

A reminder to rotate my water, batteries and MREs.
Old 07-07-2019, 5:18 PM

How often do you folks rotate water? Or put another way, how long can plastic bottles of water still be safely drinkable if stored in the trunk of your car?
Old 07-07-2019, 9:34 PM

Since this thread is active given recent events, I figured I'd ask here since it's related: I understand there's some sort of special key used to access water spigots on commercial buildings. Are these still available to the public? Does anyone have a link to one for sale? i figure this would potentially be very useful to someone in a survival situation. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho_Eater View Post
How often do you folks rotate water? Or put another way, how long can plastic bottles of water still be safely drinkable if stored in the trunk of your car?
I rotate my water quarterly
Old 07-08-2019, 2:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr goodguy View Post
bought an extra bundle of toilet paperyou just never know.
Depending on the burn on the way down with spicy food...
You'll know, YOU'LL KNOW.
Old 07-08-2019, 4:17 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Yep, being a bit clairvoyant, right before the quake I picked up a new M1A loaded and another 100 rounds of 7.62 to stop anyone from taking what I already have.
Old 07-08-2019, 4:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho_Eater View Post
My plan is to rotate annually. But then, I'm using 55 gallon blue barrels. Each one has a couple of tablespoons of bleach to keep fungus and microbe growth down.
I filled the barrels about 4 months ago, so I am not sure how it's going to do. We'll see how one year works. If it's too long, I will rotate semi annually.