Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-15-2019, 9:36 PM

Default 3n respirators - What filters for SHTF?

I have three 3m respirator masks that take the P100 style filters. I bought them when we were working on the house and kicking up a lot of dust. I tossed the old filters and cleaned up the masks.

I would like to have them at the ready for some kind of disaster/civil unrest, etc. I would like to have some protection from anything viral, chemical, maybe pepper spray, smoke. I dont think it is worth prepping for anything nuclear - I figure we are all screwed if that is the case.

What kind of filters should I get?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 PM

Is your respirator a full face model? If it just covers your mouth and nose, it won't protect you from CBR attacks. As to filter? Real CBR filters are basically very good dust particles filters with an activated charcoal bed to take care of organics then they are chemical treated to kill bacteria. Oh and they have a very short shelf life once the canister is opened.

Realisticly, your biggest threats are croud control irritants (OC and CS) and unless your mask protects your eyes, it won't be very effective.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

But if you can protect your eyes, http://approvedgasmasks.com/filter-CP3N.htm says "3M CP3N Riot Control Gas Canister"

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am more interested in going into buildings after an earthquake, I see a lot of goggles that have a foam seal, the foam seal rots over time, do they make goggles that have a silicon seal? My scuba masks last for years but they are bulky. I need a small pair of goggles with a silicone seal that is slim and does not fog up, think crawling in tight spaces, bi-focals at the bottom is another plus. P100 face masks and plenty of squirt bottles of eye care wash such as the stuff Costco sells for contact lenses.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 06-16-2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbeer View Post
I have three 3m respirator masks that take the P100 style filters. I bought them when we were working on the house and kicking up a lot of dust. I tossed the old filters and cleaned up the masks.

I would like to have them at the ready for some kind of disaster/civil unrest, etc. I would like to have some protection from anything viral, chemical, maybe pepper spray, smoke. I dont think it is worth prepping for anything nuclear - I figure we are all screwed if that is the case.

What kind of filters should I get?
You need to know what kind of 3M mask you have. P100 isn't a model, it's a rating - it means it is oil proof and filters out 99.97% of airborne particles. So figure out what model series of mask you have and then order P100 filters that fit that mask. Here's a link to the 3M page that lsits the models of mask and the filters.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3

The main use for this type of mask would be to protect from germs - and any P100 rated filter would be perfect for that.

If you want a CN/CS filter you'll probably have to buy a different kind of mask.

If you're going to buy a new mask, might as well get a military surplus gas mask with several new sealed filters.

I personally have a 3M 6500 series mask with 6 filters (takes 2 at a time) for each person in my family. The mask is about $15 and a pair of filters is about another $15. I also have military surplus gas masks with 4 sealed cartridges per person. They each have their role, and there really is no one mask that will fill both roles.

For me the main consideration would be to prevent the transfer of disease while not looking like a mall ninja or "prepper". The downside of the military surplus masks are that you look like a "prepper" - the upside is it will protect you from everything from H1N1 to NBC agents. The downside of the 3M reusable respirators is they do not protect against NBC agents - the upside is it will protect against everything else and you look like a construction worker more than a "prepper".
Old 06-16-2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I am more interested in going into buildings after an earthquake, I see a lot of goggles that have a foam seal, the foam seal rots over time, do they make goggles that have a silicon seal? My scuba masks last for years but they are bulky. I need a small pair of goggles with a silicone seal that is slim and does not fog up, think crawling in tight spaces, bi-focals at the bottom is another plus. P100 face masks and plenty of squirt bottles of eye care wash such as the stuff Costco sells for contact lenses.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A12J3GI...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-16-2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
With bifocals:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S4GN2O..._t1_B008S4GMKC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S4GN2O..._t1_B008S4GMKC
Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

I say poor mans gas mask: 3M 60926 with properly fitting half mask (6100, 6200, 6300 etc), swim goggles and GTHO dodge as quickly as possible (where chemicals and bio is concerned, stay and fight where pinko commies are concerned).

https://amzn.com/B007JZ1N00

https://amzn.com/B009POHLRC

Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 AM

Here is something I wrote up after the wildfires late 2018 for my friends and family. This does have some relevant data....

Friends,

I have done some research for my family and yours. I found a great reusable half face respirator that is cost effective, comfortable, easy to take on/off, and can use a wide variety of 3M filters.

The Mask is the 3M 6500 QL series. They come in Small which is model 6501 QL. Medium is model 6502QL. Large is 6503QL.

I can get a seal with the medium size. The large size is more comfortable for me and I feel that it is easier to keep a seal with movement.

April gets a good comfortable seal with medium. For her work she was professionally fitted with size small disposable respirators.

We did not test a size small.

These masks have a nice feature of a Drop Down Face Harness. These work well with our sunglasses. They are acceptable with our prescription glasses. (Not very comfortable for me to do read with)

These masks use 3M's bayonet mount. They will accept any 3M bayonet filter or cartridge for a wide variety of hazards.

I called 3M's Technical Support line. They were very helpful in finding the best filters for wildland fire smoke. Their number is 1-800-243-4630.

Based upon their recommendations and our testing, I am using a pair of 3M 2291 P100 filters. These are their advanced filter line and they remove 99.97 percent of particles down to .3 Micron size. These are their best particle filtration filters. They have noticeably less breathing resistance than their 2091 P100 Filters. 3M says about 30 percent less resistance. I say that these have very little breathing resistance and I am comfortably able to do fast walking, and yard work with them. We do not yet know how long these filters will last. It will depend upon conditions and how much air you move through them. They will indicate time for replacement by increased resistance. These filters are correct for both thermally created particles and for toxic particles. They are superior to filters that are only designed for mechanically created particles, like sanding or grinding.

These masks are as little as about $18 through Amazon depending upon size availability. The 2291 Filter pair is about $9 on Amazon. They have a bundle for sizes Small and Medium for $26!!

For size large I went through Grainger and the mask was $27. The pair of filters was $12.80.

You can also use the 3M 2297 P100 filter with nuisance odor removal for about $15. We did not test that filter.

You can obtain other filters for specific hazards around your home or work to protect your health. Call 3M hotline and ask for their assistance in selecting a filter.

If these aren't your style please obtain a NIOSH Approved N95 Mask with exhalation valve that fits your face. And wear it properly. April and I both are seeing trained people using the wrong type of masks. Your typical surgical mask offers almost no protection against the smoke hazards. You might as well take it off!

Unfortunately finding NIOSH Approved N95 masks for your small children might be impossible. NIOSH Approves safety gear for Industry. Some people are attempting to fabricate masks for children from N95 filter material. We have yet to find one of these that have been tested by any independent lab or organization. They may or may not be helpful. They could be harmful.

I know that this information is kinda late in the fire season. But the fires are still burning and fire season isn't over for awhile.
Old 06-18-2019, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryoldwhiteman View Post
Here is something I wrote up after the wildfires late 2018 for my friends and family. This does have some relevant data....
Great information, thanks for posting it. Did you actually use this respirator/filter combination during the wildfire season of did you purchase this after the fire season in anticipation of the next one?

I'm thinking of adding this to the box of wildland fire protective equipment for those times you there's choice but to be outside in thick wildland fire smoke, taking care of business.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:59 PM

I wear a mask everyday for work. You can get p100/organic vapor combo cartridges. Best all around. One problem with charcoal filters is they will block most smells and you might not pick up on something like a gas leak or other hazard.
Old 06-25-2019, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
Did you actually use this respirator/filter combination during the wildfire season of did you purchase this after the fire season in anticipation of the next one?

I'm thinking of adding this to the box of wildland fire protective equipment for those times you there's choice but to be outside in thick wildland fire smoke, taking care of business.
I used the half mask + P100 filter when smoke and ash were all over San Diego County and it worked fine without any smell.