Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 07-11-2021, 3:32 PM

Default Calculating trajectory when sighted in on incline

Brought out my .22 Springer - in order to get any distance at my house, I have to shoot from the walkway on the side into the hill in my backyard which is fairly steep. Thus, I'm shooting up at ~23 yards at approximately 14 degrees which where I currently have it zeroed.

Is there any math I can use to calculate / estimate my trajectory/hold at a specific distances?

I would simply move the target closer and do some test shots, but I necessarily change the angle pretty dramatically - the closer the target, the more level the shooting plane.

I'd like to know hold over/under at a given angle/distance, but I don't readily have a way to isolate variables. Probably overthinking this.
Old 07-11-2021, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Target distance multiplied by the cosine of the angle of the shot

PM me for electrical work
Old 07-11-2021, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.amazon.com/Mildot-Enterp.../dp/B008WTWKEA

The Mildot Master is an analog calculator designed along the principle of a slide rule, utilizing logarithmic and inverse logarithmic scales developed specifically for performing the following operations: Rapid and simple calculation of range to target, based on a measurement of the target with a mildot reticle, by aligning the estimated target size directly opposite the mildot measurement, and then reading the range at an index mark. Rapid and simple calculation of the amount of sight correction necessary to compensate for bullet drop and/or wind drift for a given range, enabling the shooter to determine either the equivalent telescopic sight adjustment (minute-of-angle, or MOA) or the equivalent hold-over (mils), by reading equivalents in both MOA and mils directly opposite the bullet drop/wind drift figure. Additionally, angle of fire for uphill or downhill shots can be accurately measured, and the up/down compensation can be closely calculated to reduce the errors such shots can induce.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-13-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Brought out my .22 Springer - in order to get any distance at my house, I have to shoot from the walkway on the side into the hill in my backyard which is fairly steep. Thus, I'm shooting up at ~23 yards at approximately 14 degrees which where I currently have it zeroed.

Is there any math I can use to calculate / estimate my trajectory/hold at a specific distances?

I would simply move the target closer and do some test shots, but I necessarily change the angle pretty dramatically - the closer the target, the more level the shooting plane.

I'd like to know hold over/under at a given angle/distance, but I don't readily have a way to isolate variables. Probably overthinking this.
Well, it is a math issue (trig.).
Different angles will give different results.

If you know your angle and have a scientific calculator, you can punch in your numbers and get your result.

My advice is to buy a range finder that does it all for you.
A push of a button on the range finder will give you the distance and also the "actual" distance when a slope is involved.
Around $100.00 and you'll use it more than you think.
Especially on "straight" shots.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Mildot-Enterp.../dp/B008WTWKEA

The Mildot Master is an analog calculator designed along the principle of a slide rule, utilizing logarithmic and inverse logarithmic scales developed specifically for performing the following operations: Rapid and simple calculation of range to target, based on a measurement of the target with a mildot reticle, by aligning the estimated target size directly opposite the mildot measurement, and then reading the range at an index mark. Rapid and simple calculation of the amount of sight correction necessary to compensate for bullet drop and/or wind drift for a given range, enabling the shooter to determine either the equivalent telescopic sight adjustment (minute-of-angle, or MOA) or the equivalent hold-over (mils), by reading equivalents in both MOA and mils directly opposite the bullet drop/wind drift figure. Additionally, angle of fire for uphill or downhill shots can be accurately measured, and the up/down compensation can be closely calculated to reduce the errors such shots can induce.
My pellet scope is a simple crosahairs. I wish I hate a mil dot reticle..
Old 07-13-2021, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Simply stated. Drop will be based on the horizontal distance to the target (22.3 yards), ignoring the vertical rise. So it will be shorter than the straight line measurement to the target (23 yards). As a result, you will shoot high if you don't correct for the angle. At that distance and angle, I doubt you will see much difference.

Last edited by AAShooter; 07-13-2021 at 12:33 PM..
Old 07-13-2021, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

A lot of ballistic calculators include incline angles in their calculations. I know Strelok does, and it's a free app on Android and $5 on Apple. But at those distances & that small of an angle, I doubt it makes much difference.
Old 07-13-2021, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well all of that is fine and dandy so where is my rifle zeroed before any of this works?
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 07-14-2021, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Well all of that is fine and dandy so where is my rifle zeroed before any of this works?
On the target.

Your sight above bore height has a large effect on the actual zero you will need to use. Ballistic tables and calculators include that parameter.
Old 07-15-2021, 8:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

IIRC, the ChairGun app might help.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 07-15-2021, 9:03 AM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Up or down, aim low.

But when I do, I aim to misbehave.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:54 PM

up.
Old 07-19-2021, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Low or on target for that range.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer