Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-20-2011, 4:30 PM

Update on my Woodland CCW journey. I pm-ed "wildhawker" for guidance but we have not been able to talk. So...
Spoke to the Lt. that handles the permitting up to Chiefs approval. Very polite and respectful officer. We discussed the PD's policy, $million$ liability, $580. fee etc.
I wanted to hear his opinion on the case in court involving the Sheriff. The officer said he had no idea and did not know how out of compliance the PD is. I gave the officers some websites to get current info including this one. I am starting to understand how a city attorney can set policy and the Chief just follows along. I think some LEOs really just don't care to spend the time doing there own research.
I can pay $120. to apply, get denied and go to the Yolo SO.
But, I think I may go the whole way with the PD just for fun. I am able to get the million$ insurance policy and can pay the overcharge on the fees.
I want to hear what you all think.

Last edited by wentbig; 09-15-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-20-2011, 5:32 PM

I dont think that is a good idea. For one, you are going to be giving your rights away. you will be giving in to an unjust and illegal process that was designed only to fail. Who has a million $ insurance policy. Not very many people I now. Almost impossible policies are surly designed for people to fail. Maybe you can change the system. That would be cool if you got your CCW but at what cost, and what freedoms are you willing to let go for you to get a CCW. If you dont give in to those policies and fight them then maybe you can help change them to complie with are rights as americans and everyone may be able to obtain a CCW.
Old 01-24-2011, 5:03 PM
Banned

Old 01-24-2011, 5:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentbig View Post
Update on my Woodland CCW journey. I pm-ed "wildhawker" for guidance but we have not been able to talk. So...
Spoke to the Lt. that handles the permitting up to Chiefs approval. Very polite and respectful officer. We discussed the PD's policy, $million$ liability, $580. fee etc.
I wanted to here his opinion on the case in court involving the Sheriff. The officer said he had no idea and did not know how fare out of compliance the PD is. I gave the officers some websites to get current info including this one. I am starting to understand how a city attorney can set policy and the Chief just follows along. I think some LEOs really just don't care to spend the time doing there own research.
I can pay $120. to apply, get denied and go to the Yolo SO.
But, I think I may go the whole way with the PD just for fun. I am able to get the million$ insurance policy and can pay the overcharge on the fees.
I want to hear what you all think.
If you cared about the initiative taken on by CGF you would wait. The work these guys are doing is important for all. Why bend over to the current politics when in time they will bow to your requests?
Old 01-24-2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
If you cared about the initiative taken on by CGF you would wait. The work these guys are doing is important for all. Why bend over to the current politics when in time they will bow to your requests?
Thanks for the response. I see you are a senior member, I want your input.
I tried "wildhawker" with no luck. I will follow any informed direction.
Old 01-24-2011, 7:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I see you are a senior member, I want your input.
I tried "wildhawker" with no luck. I will follow any informed direction.
No one is telling you what to do. However, CGF has made it clear that they are here to help us get our CCW's through the sheriffs depts. I suggest you wait and support and let them do there work. No one likes waiting but thats the game we're in. BTW have no illusions. Just because i am a senior member means nothing!!! All it means is i have over 500 posts. I am just a fly in the ointment like everyone else posting here that is not KES, a moderator or a CGF affiliate.
Old 01-24-2011, 8:03 PM
Banned

I agree. All the litigations and politics are slow, but nowdays it works for us, more or less. Patience is the key. I mean I want to carry a gun around with no permission like AZ people, but we need to be realistic here and work together
Old 02-01-2011, 5:25 PM

Up-date on my Yolo CCW. I am taking the class approved by the Yolo Sheriff at the Yolo Sportsman Friday 2/4/11 . I will keep you all up on my progress.
Old 02-01-2011, 7:52 PM
Banned

nice. how much does it cost btw?
Old 02-02-2011, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident-shooter View Post
nice. how much does it cost btw?
$60. 2or 3 hours law and 5 hours range. I think a retired Yuba County deputy teaches the class. I will post Friday night with a report.
Old 02-02-2011, 6:19 PM
Banned

I mean getting the ccw itself. Applying and stuff.
Old 02-08-2011, 3:36 PM

Took the Yolo County class at the Sportsman. 8 hours 2 hours on the range. 5, 10, and 15 yards must have 80% hits. Easy everyone passed, even the woman with the old Ruger mk 1 .22 pistol that would not fire after 12 rounds.
Now I have to fight with the Sheriff on accepting my app or fight with the PD on there over charges and million dollar liability policy.
Old 02-22-2011, 8:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You'll more than likely have to wait for our Federal civil rights case to resolve. http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...s_v._McGinness

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-01-2011, 6:38 PM

Guys, sorry for the off topic. I finally got home from a long deployment, fired up my 'puter and re-read my posts. Yup, I've been a putz about "the woah is me" Yolo residents have been taken advantage of. Yeah, that's wrong. Hell, I've spent the most of my time outside of the country let alone the county in the last 3 months. I'd like to wish all the best to our side on the 10th, and although I physically won't be there, I'll be there in spirit. Good luck, boys!

And to lonegunman, thanks for the education. I meant "solace" which means "comfort in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble; alleviation of distress or discomfort". My iPhone thought I meant something else. Glad you're there for me, professor.
Old 03-01-2011, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We definitely appreciate the support; stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucci pilot View Post
Guys, sorry for the off topic. I finally got home from a long deployment, fired up my 'puter and re-read my posts. Yup, I've been a putz about "the woah is me" Yolo residents have been taken advantage of. Yeah, that's wrong. Hell, I've spent the most of my time outside of the country let alone the county in the last 3 months. I'd like to wish all the best to our side on the 10th, and although I physically won't be there, I'll be there in spirit. Good luck, boys!

And to lonegunman, thanks for the education. I meant "solace" which means "comfort in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble; alleviation of distress or discomfort". My iPhone thought I meant something else. Glad you're there for me, professor.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-01-2011, 7:19 PM

Brandon, thanks, I really appreciate your kindness. Let me know if I can be of service in the future. BTW, I'm trying to save my pennies but I love to shoot...
Old 03-01-2011, 8:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm trying to save my pennies but I love to shoot...
tell me bout eet
Old 03-16-2011, 5:58 PM

Default Woodland PD Declares G

After phone call and sending the Lt. in charge of CCWs to calguns,
The brass talked to the city attorney and decided to declare G.
All future CCW apps in the city of Woodland are sent directly to the Yolo Sheriff.
Old 04-05-2011, 5:00 PM

Dropped off my application at the Yolo Sheriff dept. this morning. Very pleasant staff looked over papers to make sure I did'nt miss anything.
They said OK we will send it up the chain.
Old 04-05-2011, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Dropped off my application at the Yolo Sheriff dept. this morning. Very pleasant staff looked over papers to make sure I did'nt miss anything.
They said OK we will send it up the chain.
I don't get it, you want a rejection?
Quote:
"Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
Old 04-06-2011, 8:04 PM

No I don't want rejection. How did you come to that assumption?
I have good cause, I am not otherwise prohibited and have good moral character.
Yolo Sheriff Dept. has issued over 200 permits a year for the past 5 years.
Old 04-06-2011, 9:59 PM
Banned

That number needs to be multiplied by 100
Old 04-18-2011, 7:10 PM

Unhappy Yolo County Thread Dead?

Seems like the only county action is on the CCW Forum. Whaaa Whaaa Whaa
Old 04-19-2011, 5:37 PM

huh, wah?

2 weeks dude, 2 weeks.

Old 04-19-2011, 5:42 PM
Banned

+1 on two wheaks.
Old 05-16-2011, 4:46 PM

Default 28 days I got my Yolo CCW

4/5 app. 4/12 live scan, 5/16 permit.
Thanks to all that guided me.
Old 05-29-2011, 1:16 PM

Wow, Congrats wentbig! I live in yolo too. Was your good cause extraneous or common?
Old 05-29-2011, 1:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Pretty quiet here in Yolo.

Considering the case down in socal, looks like it's going to be a long two weeks on our case.
That's an understatement

Vet since 1978

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn
Old 05-30-2011, 6:04 PM

Quote:
4/5 app. 4/12 live scan, 5/16 permit.
Thanks to all that guided me.

For curiousity's sake, was your "good cause" having to do with being responsible for large sums of cash for a business/employer?
Old 05-30-2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
For curiousity's sake, was your "good cause" having to do with being responsible for large sums of cash for a business/employer?
Standard good cause. I had 3 very good letters, current training exciding Yolo's 8 hours. I gave them all my certs. I do manage my rental property, I am a big guy "that makes bad guys use deadly force instead of fist fighting".
Size works both ways, too small or too big= good cause to carry a weapon.
I have not personally met anyone who applied and was denied by Yolo County.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 PM

Yolo county is issuing about 300 permits a year. Just Cause criteria can be found on the Sheriff website. I am a everyday kind of guy and got my permit in 5 weeks.
anyone that followes all the steps and consults with a CCW holder on Just Cause, will be issued a permit. I will help anyone that is willing to do the footwork.
Old 12-08-2011, 2:26 PM

You I never got an answer back from that office. As a matter of fact when I last check on my app back in 09 . The person that was incharge of giving the permits would not speak to me. Sad part is that I know have FL,AZ, and OR CCW. The most I ever had was a speeding ticket. I want to obtian my own state .
Old 12-14-2011, 2:14 PM

Carrying large sums of cash make you a target. You are protecting your life, the money can be replaced. You may want to consult with a Yolo licence holder and fine tune your just cause. Did you provide the three letters Yolo requires? I have offered my help to anyone that wants to do the work it takes to get the Licence. In 8 months only one person has taken me up on the offer, the balance of Licence seekers must be consumed with posting on Calguns till 1*30am and complaining about CCW policy.
Old 12-19-2011, 3:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wanted to share my experience with users on this site with my experience obtaining my CCW in Yolo County.

I applied in 2007 in Sacramento County when I was a resident there but was denied. Everyone was denied during those times virtually. I moved to Woodland and applied with the PD in 2009 and was denied there as well.

I put the idea on the shelf until last summer, when crime increased significantly around the areas I work to the point where I felt my safety was in question on a day to day basis..

I started doing my research and met someone here on the site who gave me some great advice, pointed me to some resources and stressed to me that it will take work.

He was right. It took work. I practiced, read books by Massad Ayoub, Suarez and tons of articles to the point where I understood the material well enough to damn near go blind. In the end, I learned a great deal about the law, civil rights, liabilities and responsibilities of permit holders and citizens alike. The research involved in this quest really opened my eyes to a world I never knew about and a hobby I've come to enjoy.

Today I got my permit. I applied towards the end of October and received the permit today.

I truly believe that anyone who does their "homework" so to speak and really understands the process AND is passionate about it has an excellent chance at obtaining their permit. I am willing to help anyone who sends me a PM.

Thanks
SD

Last edited by sushidot; 12-19-2011 at 4:38 PM.. Reason: misspellings, runons, etc
Old 12-19-2011, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

sushi, while it's great that you got your LTC, doing homework should not be pre-requisite to exercising a right, especially self-defense. Especially since the value of 'doing homework' is entirely up to the subjective eye of the issuing authority.

Shall-issue is the next step in civil rights, and no permit required beyond that. But that's a long long long way off and not at the forefront of importance.

Again, I'm happy that you got your LTC. Honestly a bit confused by the Yolo sheriff at this point... but happy for you none-the-less.

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 12-19-2011, 4:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Stonewalker-

Thanks for replying! I appreciate what you are saying about the homework. I found doing research really informed me and has given me a confidence about having a LTC than I might have had if I lived in a shall issue county. Everyone is different, of course and has their own opinions. I feel that having this responsibility I will continue to learn and study the laws and liabilities, spend time and money on training and stay current.
Old 12-19-2011, 5:17 PM

"I will continue to learn and study the laws and liabilities, spend time and money on training and stay current."

It's great to hear from another Yolo LTC holder. I like how you take responsibility for your own education.
Even shall-issue states have a list of conditions that must be met.
Old 12-21-2011, 9:45 AM

Default Good cause in Yolo

Quote:
Yolo county is issuing about 300 permits a year. Just Cause criteria can be found on the Sheriff website. I am a everyday kind of guy and got my permit in 5 weeks.
anyone that followes all the steps and consults with a CCW holder on Just Cause, will be issued a permit. I will help anyone that is willing to do the footwork.
My sense is that the only "everyday kind of guy(s)" getting permits in Yolo are either business owners or documented victims of violence/threats. Those are the only valid reasons listed on the Sheriff website. Personal safety due to job conditions is not a valid reason if you are not the business owner.

That's really a sad state of affairs, and I hope it changes soon into "shall issue" for all non-prohibited persons.

From the Sheriff website:

Quote:
Examples of valid reasons to request a permit include, but are not limited to:
• Victims of violent crime and/or documented threats of violence.
• Business owners who carry large sums of cash or valuable items.
• Business owners who work all hours in remote areas and are likely to encounter dangerous people and situations.

Examples on invalid reasons to request a permit include, but are not limited to:
• Recreation in remote areas.
• Hunting or fishing
• Self protection and protection of family (without credible threats of violence).
• Employment in the security field, i.e. security guard, body guard, VIP
protection.
• Personal safety due to job conditions or duties placed on the applicant by their
employer.
Old 01-08-2012, 4:10 AM

Just curious to see if anything has changed for Yolo. Any updates? Is the Sheriff issuing yet?
Old 01-08-2012, 2:38 PM

As you will read, Yolo is issuing about 300 permits a year.
The beef we have with Yolo is, very narrow just cause accepted. Yolo likes business owners and people who carry or make large deposits in the bank.
A well crafted "just cause" is what works.