Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-22-2022, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelholder View Post
Any opinions on having to pay back fees if you lose with ccw safe vs uscca

CCWSAFE states, “NO REIMBURSEMENT AND NO RECOUPMENT NO MATTER THE OUTCOME!”
Old 05-22-2022, 7:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice chart, good comparison. What's missing is "how do things go when you have a claim"? Are they attentive? Understand your issue? Explain things to you understandably? Respond promptly? Those kind of things are what matters- a lower rate is easy if they score poorly on performance.
Old 06-29-2022, 9:27 PM

^^ Those points and how often do these cases occur?

California is a castle doctrine with an implied stand your ground ability, i.e. no duty to retreat. How often do cops really determine that a homeowner shooting a burglar/home invader wasn't justified?
Old 07-01-2022, 11:28 AM

https://concealedcarrysociety.com/in...NWWX&fs=e&s=cl
Old 07-16-2022, 10:42 PM

With Firearms legal protection you get to attend the ASP online content for free
Old 08-11-2022, 1:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodog View Post
This code still works. I just bought my Ultimate membership tonight.

LOSD10 code has expired. Anyone have another coupon code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2022, 8:02 PM

With CCW SAFE plan , is the best plan the best for my situation? wife & I are both retired, I am a CCW holder but wife is not a CCW holder.

I like the best plan not based on cost.

Last edited by vipertom1970; 08-14-2022 at 9:10 PM..
Old 08-19-2022, 1:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
With CCW SAFE plan , is the best plan the best for my situation? wife & I are both retired, I am a CCW holder but wife is not a CCW holder.

I like the best plan not based on cost.
Same with me, my wife is adamantly anti gun so she will never be a ccw holder or even use one of my firearms in a defensive situation at home. I signed up for the Ultimate plan with CCW Safe which covers her using one of my firearms if she decided to or even with a defensive weapon of opportunity in a home defense situation. She gets the same legal defense and is covered under my policy.

https://youtu.be/iXu4vBc-EVk

Last edited by CAGLS; 08-19-2022 at 1:43 AM..
Old 08-19-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
Same with me, my wife is adamantly anti gun so she will never be a ccw holder or even use one of my firearms in a defensive situation at home. I signed up for the Ultimate plan with CCW Safe which covers her using one of my firearms if she decided to or even with a defensive weapon of opportunity in a home defense situation. She gets the same legal defense and is covered under my policy.

https://youtu.be/iXu4vBc-EVk

thank you for responding, did you do add-ons for Civil Liability for your wife ?
Old 08-21-2022, 6:26 AM

Default Try LOSD

LOSD should work. Only valid on annual plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
LOSD10 code has expired. Anyone have another coupon code?

Old 09-27-2022, 9:28 PM

Today I used code SSGT and got $25 off an ACLDN year membership, took the price down to $110 for the 1st year and renewals are $95 without a promo code.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:19 PM

Tag
Old 10-25-2022, 12:04 PM

Interesting 3 pages. Anyone have any updates regarding CCW Safe vs USCCA?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2022, 7:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Promises, promises. Having some protection is a good idea, but not so much if the promise is less than certain to be there when needed. This is one reason it is VERY important whether or not you are purchasing actual insurance. Why?

In California a company cannot sell insurance unless they are approved by the Deprtment of Insurance and one thing the department does it it requires that an insurer meeets certain financial standards aimed at guaranteeing that the company is financially able to pay claims that arise (At least this is the case with general an motor vehicle liability policies.) In case a particular insurer becomes insolvent, calims are paid to an extent by an entity that all insurers pay into.

But what if you merely pay a fee to become a member of a group and the group's obligations to the members are "insurance backed"? I don't know the answer, but I am uneasy with it. Anytime some smart guy thinks they can circumvent law, your spidy senses should be tingling, and the general rule is that California forbids insuring intentional acts.
Old 10-26-2022, 8:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I happened on US LAw Shield's booth at SHOT this year. They immediately told me to google "USCCA Lawsuit". When I told them I use CCW Safe, they literally had nothing to say except trying to get me to convert. Now, I tell all my CCW students that when making a decision on self defense "insurance" to google "whatever company lawsuit" before finalizing their decision.

If you decide on CCW Safe, please use my affiliate member's link in my sig line.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 10-26-2022 at 1:59 PM..
Old 10-26-2022, 11:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I happened on US LAw Shield's booth at SHOT this year. They immediately told me to google "USCCA Lawsuit". When I told them I use CCW Safe, they literally had nothing to say except trying to get me to convert. Now, I tell all my CCW students that when making a decision on self defense "insurance" to google "whatever company lawsuit: before finalizing their decision.

If you decide on CCW Safe, please use my affiliate member's link in my sig line.
Very interesting post of yours. Googling got me to this video by Andrew Baranca. Only the first third is on point. I once new a bit of California insurance law, but almost all of that concerned CGL, Automotive, and Personal Liability Policies. Nothing like here, but back in the day, an insurer rarely, if ever, refused to defend an insured faced with a civil suit without first seeking a court judgment confirming that they did not owe a duty of defense to the insured. I am not saying that they could not refuse to provide a defense, but to do so was very risky to do so without first getting a declaratory judgment of no coverage.

Here, Baranca makes an excellent point regarding the outcome of the civil judgment of no coverage. The judgment was based on the guilty verdict first rendered in state criminal court. The Federal Court found, assumedly based on principles of res judicate and collateral estoppel, that the state court verdict precluded any other finding in civil court. That sounds good, but Baranca raises a question. Had USCCA not stopped paying its insured's attorney's fees and defense costs would she have been found not guilty?

Last edited by Chewy65; 10-26-2022 at 11:16 AM..
Old 10-29-2022, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsixtwoseven_five View Post
Thanks in advance

If you research ccw legal protection CCW SAFE is a no brainer. They pay up front with no litigation cost recovery, pay for bail, have a critical response team that flys out to the scene of the incident to gather evidence in your defense, covers expert witnesses. They successfully defended a member charged with murder with his case costing into several hundred thousand dollars all covered. He only paid his monthly dues. Your choice of attorney specializing in ccw legal defense in your area as well as an in house attorney that will fly out to your court hearings. First day I carried I made sure to get the Ultimate plan for $45 per month. Well worth the cost of your freedom.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I happened on US LAw Shield's booth at SHOT this year. They immediately told me to google "USCCA Lawsuit". When I told them I use CCW Safe, they literally had nothing to say except trying to get me to convert. Now, I tell all my CCW students that when making a decision on self defense "insurance" to google "whatever company lawsuit" before finalizing their decision.

To be brutally honest, CCW Safe wouldn't provide the coverage either
Giles shot her ex-husband. It's clearly excluded on CCW Safe T&C

https://ccwsafe.com/terms-conditions/
Restrictions, Limitations, Notices and Exclusions

DOMESTIC RELATIONSHIPS: CCW Safe will not provide the services for any domestic violence incident, criminal investigation, or prosecution arising from a use of force incident involving you and a current or former member of the household, including, but not limited to, a spouse, former spouse, adult or minor child, or involving those in a current or former dating relationship as defined in applicable state law.
Old 11-01-2022, 1:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsixtwoseven_five View Post
Thanks in advance
In short, USCCA has a better civil liability coverage and training materials, but they still will send you the bill, if you are found guilty, e.g. imperfect self-defense. Obviously, they won't cover the appeal.

Last edited by riderr; 11-01-2022 at 1:03 AM..
Old 11-03-2022, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderr View Post
In short, USCCA has a better civil liability coverage and training materials, but they still will send you the bill, if you are found guilty, e.g. imperfect self-defense. Obviously, they won't cover the appeal.
Why won't the cover the appeal? Is that spelled out in the agreement? I don't know that a guilty judgment is final if an appeal is timely taken. Just asking, since I was not a criminal attorney.
Old 11-19-2022, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

I went with 'Right to Bear'; quite good coverage plan for $129/year. I contacted them for the agreement and it appears to cover all the bases at a reasonable cost. Extra $35 for bail bond or out of state coverage.

Single fin mentality
Old 02-23-2023, 7:47 PM

I have CCW Safe Ultimate plan. I think it is well worth it.
Old 02-24-2023, 5:09 AM

Quote:
To be brutally honest, CCW Safe wouldn't provide the coverage either
Giles shot her ex-husband. It's clearly excluded on CCW Safe T&C

https://ccwsafe.com/terms-conditions/
Restrictions, Limitations, Notices and Exclusions

DOMESTIC RELATIONSHIPS: CCW Safe will not provide the services for any domestic violence incident, criminal investigation, or prosecution arising from a use of force incident involving you and a current or former member of the household, including, but not limited to, a spouse, former spouse, adult or minor child, or involving those in a current or former dating relationship as defined in applicable state law.
I just listened to one of the latest CCWSafe podcasts and they described the recent changes they have made to their policies and the stated they removed the "domestic violence" exclusion referred to above. It it's a legal shoot regardless of familial relationship, it's a legal shoot that they will cover
Old 02-24-2023, 5:23 AM
Veteran Member

So is the census here that CCW Safe is the best way to go for CCW insurance?

I was about to go with USCCA and just didnt have that warm, fuzzy feeling. Plus, they are hounding the crap out of me with multiple emails a day which I’m not particularly a fan of (maybe I’m experiencing PTSD from the onslaught of Front Sight emails from Dr. Pizza begging for money for a new Bentley multiple times a day).
Old 02-24-2023, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I agree CCW Safe and USCCA seem to be the best choices bases on that chart. If you have assets, then I think you have to nut up and get USCCA for the civil liability coverage.

I had an interesting chat with a customer of mine who is a State Farm agent, he said they offer CCW coverage... haven't got into detail yet what that actually means as I have AAA and not State Farm on my property.
State Farm does NOT offer ccw coverage. The only coverage they offer is for an accident, NOT for an intentional act, ie shooting someone. Hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2023, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneaudiopro View Post
State Farm does NOT offer ccw coverage. The only coverage they offer is for an accident, NOT for an intentional act, ie shooting someone. Hope that helps.

My guess is what his agent was referring to is an umbrella policy which could benefit someone in a civil matter if damages but certainly not In a criminal matter.
Old 02-26-2023, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
So is the census here that CCW Safe is the best way to go for CCW insurance?

I was about to go with USCCA and just didnt have that warm, fuzzy feeling. Plus, they are hounding the crap out of me with multiple emails a day which I’m not particularly a fan of (maybe I’m experiencing PTSD from the onslaught of Front Sight emails from Dr. Pizza begging for money for a new Bentley multiple times a day).
There is no consensus. Go with whichever one you feel most comfortable with.

I too have grown to despise USCCA. I hate their marketing. It's everywhere, and it's annoying.

Last edited by MudCamper; 02-26-2023 at 8:48 AM..
Old 03-04-2023, 3:02 PM

Quote:
This is because it is against the law to insure an illegal act, you were found guilty of and illegal act.
Besides, I do not think that has ever happened.
Old 03-08-2023, 1:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Insuring Illegal Act

You're quite right in that companies won't or can't insure illegal acts but I believe the subtlety here is USCCA will want to recoup already expended legal cost if a guilty verdict is returned. CCW Safe, for example says they will not demand return of legal expenses if guilty.
I just cancelled my USCCA membership that renewed in February and went with CCW Safe for this reason.
Old 03-12-2023, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

Pick up my CCW in a couple days and pretty sure I will go with CCW Safe.

Does anyone have any information or opinions of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network (ACLDN)?

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-12-2023 at 8:40 PM..
Old 03-12-2023, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Pick up my CCW in a couple days and pretty sure I will go with CCW Safe.

I have my pickup next week, after reviewing the options, CCW safe is the way to go for me. I own two businesses with inventory/assets.. it makes the most sense, and I hope I never need to use their service.
I contacted CCW safe and asked a question after I cut and pasted a portion of their small print. They clarified what it meant and explained it so I could understand.. in this case, they offer coverage but not when at work and the general liability insurance covers ?work? except my general liability insurer doesn?t offer any CCW coverage for an owner.. so I asked how do I get coverage. They were prompt and kind. They explained that I was reading their policy for LEO.. so the CCW safe policy for those in law enforcement, only provides coverage when off duty.
Old 03-12-2023, 9:19 PM

There is no such product in the insurance industry for CCW insurance.
CCWSafe is not insurance.
A homeowner umbrella liability policy MAY reimburse you for your defense IF you are not found guilty of a crime.
Old 03-12-2023, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablomarquez View Post
This is because it is against the law to insure an illegal act, you were found guilty of and illegal act.
Besides, I do not think that has ever happened.
If you T-boned another car and found guilty, you committed an illegal act (infraction or misdemeanor). Yet, the insurance will cover your civil liability.
If you go rob a bank, use your car as a getaway, get in a high-speed chase with the cops, refuse to stop and T-bone another car at the intersection, you will most likely will not be covered by your car insurance.
Old 03-12-2023, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
There is no such product in the insurance industry for CCW insurance.
CCWSafe is not insurance.
A homeowner umbrella liability policy MAY reimburse you for your defense IF you are not found guilty of a crime.

Correct, CCW safe offers up to $2mil in coverage for litigation services.
Old 03-13-2023, 6:27 AM
Veteran Member

Any opinions od the Armed Citizens Legal Defense network (ACLDN)?
Old 03-13-2023, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They've been around a very long time and have a solid reputation. Also, the legal team they use are very well versed in gun related criminal charges. They're coverage, should criminal and civil action be taken seem to be good, though I think CCW Safe still seem to be the best overall. I would choose ACLDN before USCCA.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 03-13-2023, 10:43 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
pros:
They have no limit on what they'll cover (I read that somewhere in the past, but couldn't find link on their website)
You choose your lawyer.
They will also fight civil law suits (not settlements)
Their advisory board has:
John Farnam, Massad Ayoob, Tom Givens, Emanuel Kapelsohn, Dennis Tueller, Karl Rehn and Marie D'Amico
As much as you like or dislike any of those folks they are available to your case if using an 'in-network' attorney. I'm assuming for out of network attorneys they could be as well, so not sure why they make that statement.

Con:
Quote:
This benefit is subject to a review of the facts of the case as known at the time and a determination it was a legitimate act of self defense.
I think the Con is common among all the providers, but ACLDN is very up front about it. For example:
Quote:
Granting bail assistance is subject to the same requirement as awarding Legal Defense Funds. In other words, there must be sufficient evidence to make a reasonable argument that the use of force incident was self defense. Just as we would not agree to fund the legal defense of someone who actually committed a murder, we would also not assist that person in gaining his or her freedom from jail. We will need to be convinced that your use of force was a self-defense incident.
I'm not sure if the other plans do this pre-funding or post-funding and then expect you to pay back.
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 03-13-2023, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
They've been around a very long time and have a solid reputation. Also, the legal team they use are very well versed in gun related criminal charges. They're coverage, should criminal and civil action be taken seem to be good, though I think CCW Safe still seem to be the best overall. I would choose ACLDN before USCCA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
pros:
They have no limit on what they'll cover (I read that somewhere in the past, but couldn't find link on their website)
You choose your lawyer.
They will also fight civil law suits (not settlements)
Their advisory board has:
John Farnam, Massad Ayoob, Tom Givens, Emanuel Kapelsohn, Dennis Tueller, Karl Rehn and Marie D'Amico
As much as you like or dislike any of those folks they are available to your case if using an 'in-network' attorney. I'm assuming for out of network attorneys they could be as well, so not sure why they make that statement.

Con:

I think the Con is common among all the providers, but ACLDN is very up front about it. For example:

I'm not sure if the other plans do this pre-funding or post-funding and then expect you to pay back.
Thank you both.
Old 03-14-2023, 3:55 PM

This is somewhat old news, but ACLDN (Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network) was targeted by the Washington State Insurance Commissioner back in 2020 and is unable to accept new members in Washington. They are able to renew existing members. They are fighting the OIC: https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/joi...e-commissioner

I'm not aware of them having restrictions anywhere else

NRA Patriot Life Member, Benefactor
CRPA: Life Member
FPC: Member

It's 2025. Mickey Mouse is in the public domain and Goofy has left the White House.

Last edited by GetMeCoffee; 03-14-2023 at 4:03 PM.. Reason: Wrong dates - duh!
Old 03-20-2023, 10:01 AM

I appreciate the thread and everyone's input.

Anyone know of an updated discount code for CCW Safe?