Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:27 AM

Default Car camping in 34 degrees.

So, my subie outback is okay for two people to sleep in. So, I ventured out into the unknown to a place I didn't research because I was driving, it got dark and I was tired. I am confused about the name of this place since it seems to be 3 in 1 but basically the Black Butte Lake Recreation area in Orland, CA, north of Sacramento. The Buckhorn campground was open. It was 34 degrees during the early morning but I had a 25 degree bag which didn't seem to work very well and an inflatable sleep pad. My bushcraft mini firepit worked well as did the fire plugs. They got the fire started quickly with some small pieces of kindling I made. My MSR stove that uses the butane canisters heated up soup and the water for cocoa quickly. The morning was sunny and chilly but the view was great. The water level at the lake was low but I didn't fish it anyway. It was quiet and only about 10-15 mins from highway 5. We heard a nice owl, saw some deer and lots of geese and a few ducks. I will visit again.
Old 11-22-2022, 8:39 AM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

whoopdie-doo

for your subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 11-22-2022, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Best to always have an insulated barrier between bag pad, cot, etc...

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." -Khan

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift."-J.P.S.
Old 11-22-2022, 8:47 AM

I try to avoid camping when it's cold these days. Not because it isn't possible, just because I'm old and spoiled.

Seems you enjoyed yourself except for the cold. Good on you.

Just one more piece of parental advice I stupidly ignored.

<shrug>
Old 11-22-2022, 8:55 AM

I love winter camping.👍
Old 11-22-2022, 9:50 AM

Thanks for the input and comments, including M76. Have a great Thanksgiving y'all.
Old 11-22-2022, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Cold weather camping is not ideal for me. We're old and getting up and out of our ground tent to go pee in the middle of the night becomes more of a comedy routine. Our setup is a foam pad underneath an air mattress and 40 degree bags. Oh, and thermals. The coldest we've had was 37 degrees in Clear Lake last year. We used those hand warmer thingies in our pockets to help us stay warm overnight. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Supe...68280981&psc=1

Thankfully we didn't died.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-22-2022, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
I try to avoid camping when it's cold these days. Not because it isn't possible, just because I'm old and spoiled.
The first ten years after high school the only vacations I took were backpacking vacations.
Then at 28 years old I took a Carribean cruise..........
Old 11-22-2022, 10:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
whoopdie-doo

for your subaru

I read this in an Adam Sandler voice.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
The first ten years after high school the only vacations I took were backpacking vacations.
Then at 28 years old I took a Carribean cruise..........
Me too. I've carried my gear up and over more passes than I can think of. Then I hit my forties and realized I was always coming back from vacation more tired than when I left.

<shrug>
Old 11-22-2022, 10:12 AM
CGN Contributor

If your inflatable pad doesn't have an R value you may want to change it out. A 25 degree bag doesn't mean you'll be happy at 25 even if it is a true 25 degree bag. Many companies tend to be optimistic in their ratings as well. If you are going to do this again perhaps a bag made in the USA will suit you better, Wiggy's, which are made in Colorado is a good choice.
Old 11-22-2022, 6:20 PM

Check out the Exped Megamat. With a high R value it would be a big improvement in warmth and comfort. I’ve used one in the back of my Tacoma and have been comfortable below 20 degrees.
Old 11-22-2022, 6:52 PM

I will definitely be looking at the R value more closely. Thanks for the intel. We saw lots of frost in Trinity/Shasta and Six rivers NF. I knew it would be cold and I was feeling alright since I have some extra blubber but my kid was cold. Hopefully do some camping in Oregon in summer.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:48 PM

You need a diesel heater…. I sleep in my rooftop tent in my undies in -24….
Old 11-23-2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchinner View Post
I will definitely be looking at the R value more closely. Thanks for the intel. We saw lots of frost in Trinity/Shasta and Six rivers NF. I knew it would be cold and I was feeling alright since I have some extra blubber but my kid was cold. Hopefully do some camping in Oregon in summer.
I was surprised some years ago when shopping for a new sleeping bag to learn that many (if not all) manufacturers rate the bag by the temperature at which it will keep you *alive*, not *comfortable.* So if they follow that practice, a 25 degree bag will keep you alive at 25 degrees, but you will be miserable.
Old 11-23-2022, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogescv View Post
I was surprised some years ago when shopping for a new sleeping bag to learn that many (if not all) manufacturers rate the bag by the temperature at which it will keep you *alive*, not *comfortable.* So if they follow that practice, a 25 degree bag will keep you alive at 25 degrees, but you will be miserable.

Isn’t being miserable one of the goals when you’re camping? Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-24-2022, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Gnats/No-See-Um's are vicious there in the summertime...
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-24-2022, 11:24 AM

Besides a pad or cot to get you off the ground.
Double up 2 sleeping bags(one inside the other).

You can alway trim one open or just use one and have the extra one under you.

A person can sleep sitting up, on sharp rocks, loud high winds etc…
But a person will never get to sleep well when they are freezing cold.

ALWAYS 2 Bags or one bag and a large polar fleece blanket inside the bag.

Signed,
Mr Decades of freezing

Last edited by tsmithson; 11-24-2022 at 11:26 AM..
Old 11-24-2022, 3:35 PM

I concur with Mr Decades of freezing, double up bags! 29 degrees in South Carolina no problem n comfortable with both roof vents opened.
Old 11-24-2022, 4:42 PM
CGN Contributor

[IMG]AF1QipP09dCJZc13Gvil1emWJZ9qzLaxipIzZjDRFga6[/IMG]Keep some of these in your kit. Throw a couple in your bag 20 minutes before you turn in and sleep away. Be sure to get the 18 hour ones, yes they will last that long. Good for the bag then in jacket pocket around the morning fire.
Sorry about pic HOT HANDS 18 Hour ones

Last edited by WOODY2; 11-24-2022 at 4:44 PM..
Old 11-24-2022, 7:05 PM

Though a car is a solid structure, the steel and glass are poor insulators. Get a good closed foam pad under your air mattress to get a thermal break from the car.
Being car camping, bring another blanket to throw over the sleeping bag if still cold.
Remember, most bags temperature ratings assume you are still wearing your base layer
Old 11-24-2022, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Was just talking to a friend who bought a pop up camping trailer for his truck.

Some good tips here and review of small heaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxt98bcmQTs
Old 11-25-2022, 5:41 AM

I have to admit. Reading through this, I have been perplexed about how many of you haven't heard of a new invention.

The blanket. You are in a car dammit. Not like you have to carry it.

<shrug>
Old 11-25-2022, 7:07 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
Though a car is a solid structure, the steel and glass are poor insulators. Get a good closed foam pad under your air mattress to get a thermal break from the car.
Being car camping, bring another blanket to throw over the sleeping bag if still cold.
Remember, most bags temperature ratings assume you are still wearing your base layer
I would suggest the foam pad be placed between your bag and the air mattress.
Old 11-25-2022, 7:25 AM

Used to camp in VW van on ski trips. Remember on particular overnight at a rest stop, spouse asked for water before nodding off. All I could find was can of 7up. Frozen solid in the morning. It gets worse...

Went into public restrooms to freshen up for the day's skiing. Found the antiperspirant's rolling ball wouldn't. Liquid in the bottle was frozen solid. That viscous salty stuff froze?

Wind was howling that night and there we horizontal icicles streaming from van's radio antenna. But we were youg, dumb and in love. Broke too, so spent a few more nights over the next few years sleeping in the van so we could afford skiing.

And the secret was...down comforters. We cuddled under a couple of everyday bedding, feather-filled lofty comforters that you didn't leave until dawn. Better than sleeping bags. More fun too.
Old 11-25-2022, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Cold weather camping is not ideal for me. We're old and getting up and out of our ground tent to go pee in the middle of the night becomes more of a comedy routine. Our setup is a foam pad underneath an air mattress and 40 degree bags. Oh, and thermals. The coldest we've had was 37 degrees in Clear Lake last year. We used those hand warmer thingies in our pockets to help us stay warm overnight. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Supe...68280981&psc=1

Thankfully we didn't died.
Don't laugh but - -

If you are ground camping (no tent floor) dig a hole next to where you sleep. Keep the pile of dirt removed next to the hole. Open bag, roll to side, business, push dirt into hole, roll back into bag, zip up. Hand cleaner if you think you'll pick your nose, teeth or suck your thumb afterwards.

One last thing, DO NOT think that will work if you aren't the one next to the hole and think you'll crawl over someone else to get it done.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchinner View Post
So, my subie outback is okay for two people to sleep in. So, I ventured out into the unknown to a place I didn't research because I was driving, it got dark and I was tired. I am confused about the name of this place since it seems to be 3 in 1 but basically the Black Butte Lake Recreation area in Orland, CA, north of Sacramento. The Buckhorn campground was open. It was 34 degrees during the early morning but I had a 25 degree bag which didn't seem to work very well and an inflatable sleep pad. My bushcraft mini firepit worked well as did the fire plugs. They got the fire started quickly with some small pieces of kindling I made. My MSR stove that uses the butane canisters heated up soup and the water for cocoa quickly. The morning was sunny and chilly but the view was great. The water level at the lake was low but I didn't fish it anyway. It was quiet and only about 10-15 mins from highway 5. We heard a nice owl, saw some deer and lots of geese and a few ducks. I will visit again.
Nice, sounds like a pretty area up there.
I remember buying a 20 degree no-name bag off of Amazon, thinking that it would surely keep me sufficiently warm in the SoCal desert. Should have known better when the bag showed up with the word “BUNG” printed on the front as a logo. Lasted for a few warm weeks until a 30-35 degree night out by Kern in the back of a truck, at which point I remember thinking “am I really going to die in a bung bag?” After that I got rid of it, invested in a zero degree bag and never looked back.

Also one tip for cold nights is to fill a Nalgene with hot water and store it in your foot box, feels really nice and it keeps the bag warm a while. Heck, even throw a teabag in there and you can have some really wonderful tepid tea to drink in the morning!
Old 11-25-2022, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

what do you guys do to stay warm inside the car without running it, besides blankets/bags all the obvious etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 11-25-2022, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
Don't laugh but - -

If you are ground camping (no tent floor) dig a hole next to where you sleep. Keep the pile of dirt removed next to the hole. Open bag, roll to side, business, push dirt into hole, roll back into bag, zip up. Hand cleaner if you think you'll pick your nose, teeth or suck your thumb afterwards.

One last thing, DO NOT think that will work if you aren't the one next to the hole and think you'll crawl over someone else to get it done.
Not laughing at this, but more of a face of gross-ness.

Yeah, we tent camp. Not going to have to step around a wet, muddy hole next to my sleeping bag. Nope, no thank you. Besides, at my age, I'd probably step in it and roll an ankle!

Only takes a few steps to get to my toilet tent so we can do our business.
M&P 15 (Mine)

Last edited by XDJYo; 11-25-2022 at 1:03 PM..
Old 11-25-2022, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
what do you guys do to stay warm inside the car without running it, besides blankets/bags all the obvious etc

<shrug>
Old 11-25-2022, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not laughing at this, but more of a face of gross-ness.

Yeah, we tent camp. Not going to have to step around a wet, muddy hole next to my sleeping bag. Nope, no thank you. Besides, at my age, I'd probably step in it and roll an ankle!

Only takes a few steps to get to my toilet tent so we can do our business.
I keep an empty quart Gatorade bottle, two if I've really been hitting the beer, in the tent.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-25-2022, 8:03 PM

My winter sleeping pad Varies depending on how I’m camping.
In a tent it’s the tent footprint, tent floor, moving blanket, thermarest dream air mattress and a 20 degree Kelty bag.
In a hammock, it’s a 20 degree under quilt under the hammock, a 20 degree bag, and the ENO house fly above to hold in heat.
I usually sleep in silk thermals, down pants and sometimes a light weight down jacket, or another down quilt/blanket on top.
For extra warmth I use a micro lantern that hangs and gives off light and heat and a Coleman catalytic 5500 btu heater too. A solo camping stove also gives off nice heat from a distance enough not to burn or melt your equipment.
Our canvas hunting shelter i sleep on a cot with a wood burning stove that keeps us warm all night. Same 20 degree bag and thermals. Down pants and jacket at bottom of bag so they’re nice and warm in the morning
Old 11-27-2022, 9:45 PM

I was more than comfortable with the sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and 2 blankets. My kid was having a rougher time. Thanks for the all the input. It wasn't the worst and it wasn't the best. : )
Old 12-07-2022, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

A good sleeping bag, foam pad and a blanket gives you lot's of options and comfort.
Old 12-07-2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Besides a pad or cot to get you off the ground.
Double up 2 sleeping bags(one inside the other).

You can alway trim one open or just use one and have the extra one under you.

A person can sleep sitting up, on sharp rocks, loud high winds etc…
But a person will never get to sleep well when they are freezing cold.

ALWAYS 2 Bags or one bag and a large polar fleece blanket inside the bag.

Signed,
Mr Decades of freezing
Yep. This is what we do. 2nd / 3rd rifle season Colorado. 2 sleeping bags (one inside the other), on cots. Mr. Buddy heater hooked to 5 gal propane tank. 2 people to a 10x14 kodiak canvas tent. Lows this year pushed the limits, coldest was 4 degrees/ average 28 or so but you sleep warm. 1 sleeping bag would freeze your nuts off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Women teachers are "liberated and empowered." They are embolden so much by our current society that they can wave their vagina around like a flag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
I treat all people the same until they open their big mouths and make me feel otherwise.
Old 12-07-2022, 4:46 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I like to car camp.

Usually my jeep commander is the camper.

I trimmed a thick mattress topper to fit in the back.

Flannel sheets.

2-3 blankets, 1 being a very heavy Korean blanket.

I don't wear clothes. My girlfriend keeps me warm.

When we are not under the blankets I have a buddy heater running inside with the sunroof cracked open. Bbq propane tank hooked up outside.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 12-07-2022, 4:54 PM

Drives a subaru......who cares!
Old 12-08-2022, 10:29 PM

Get a battery powered electric blanket or one that plugs into your 12v car output and use with your sleeping bag. https://thecampingnerd.com/best-heat...nkets-camping/

An electric blanket with my 32 degree sleeping bag for car camping literally saved me from freezing to death. I was warm all night in almost zero degree weather.
Old 12-09-2022, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaCola View Post
Get a battery powered electric blanket or one that plugs into your 12v car output and use with your sleeping bag. https://thecampingnerd.com/best-heat...nkets-camping/

An electric blanket with my 32 degree sleeping bag for car camping literally saved me from freezing to death. I was warm all night in almost zero degree weather.

One word of caution on this. Use a power bank like a Jackery for this as you don’t want to wake up with a dead battery. Also, many cars require the car to be in accessory mode to have power to those outlets.

Another thing, always keep a battery jump starter in the trunk in case of emergencies.

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-24-2023, 5:25 PM

Quote:
One word of caution on this. Use a power bank like a Jackery for this as you don’t want to wake up with a dead battery. Also, many cars require the car to be in accessory mode to have power to those outlets.

Another thing, always keep a battery jump starter in the trunk in case of emergencies.

My Prius Prime will run HVAC for about 8hrs with full charge, and they say its A-OK to leave car on "Run" indefinitely. The big batt will keep the little 12v topped up to run any 12v cig lighter. If the big batt runs down the car's engine will start automatically.

It is possible to run the little 12v down if headlights are left on and car is off, and then even if the big batt is full The System computer brains wont boot, but will boot with even weak "jump" to 12v. Happened once, investigating if I could use a 12v Makita cordless batt to jump and boot computer brains.